PDA

View Full Version : Helikon SFU Tactical Pants: Review

garethw
22-03-2012, 12:54 PM
I’ve been wearing Craghoppers Kiwi’s for the last two or three years, but have finally got fed up with the fact that they give up the ghost after that sort of time scale. The main gripe being that they split at the crotch area….

So after looking around the net for a brand in this price bracket, that hopefully would be more robust... I settled on a brand called Helikon, a Polish brand who make military cargo type pants & clothing, that have had some excellent reviews on the French Bushcraft forums.

Helikon SFU Tactical Pants

I ordered a couple of pairs as they retail at around £25 or 27€….I got one pair in Coytote and the other in OD. The Coyote is a weird colour, looking greener than one would imagine. But I'm fine with that.

The trousers are made of 50/50 nylon/cotton Nylco mix and are fairly light weight. They are however, heavier material than the Craghoppers Solardry. They feel a very substantial garment, which is nice. The seams are all double stitched, with the seat and knees double thickness.

http://www.croixblanchelakes.com/helikon%20pants.jpg

The waist has 6 belt loops, wide enough for military type belts… the waist is closed & flies are closed by buttons. 501 wearers amongst you won’t mind this, but the fly does gape a bit. I guess the fly is like this to allow you to have a ‘jimmy’ by opening only one button…. No zips is perhaps not a bad thing as my Craggies had a number of bust zips after a time, especially on the pockets.

There are a myriad of pockets. All are closed by Velcro. Two rear pockets, two cargo pockets, two hip pockets and two small pockets in front of the hip pockets, for a phone, lighter or pocket knife. Finally there is a strange pocket on the right calf… not sure when one would use that!!!!

The double thickness on the knees has an opening at the base, again closed by Velcro, which allows you to insert a knee pad, should you wish. Finally the ankle has a draw tape which means you can cinch it over your boots

Size wise, I ordered Large/Regular.. this equates to 35-38 waist and 32 leg. I find they are about equivalent to the Craghoppers Kiwi 34 regular.

All in all a very nice trouser… they are perfect for anyone into outdoors, fishing , hunting or bushcraft…. They are very well made, looks really robust, and practical. At around £25 you really can’t go wrong with these.. I’m well impressed.

Cheers
Gareth

Tony1948
22-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Good review on the Pants Gareth,not a bad price.T^

Terry
22-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the pants, i also wear craghoppers, but need a more robust pair in cooler temps. so i may invest in a pair. thanks again

garethw
22-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the pants, i also wear craghoppers, but need a more robust pair in cooler temps. so i may invest in a pair. thanks again
Got mine from Military1st, very fast service...
cheers
Gareth

Humakt
22-03-2012, 05:00 PM
I also have a pair of Helikon SFU trousers in coyote (it is an odd colour - looks green when worn with green, but brown when worn with brown).
Very good quality for the price - you really can't go wrong.

And I have found the service from Military 1st to be second to none.

A word of caution about Helikon's sizing. It's very weird. Their shirts and jackets tend to be oversize but their trousers tend to be slightly undersize. Maybe Polish men are built like that. Who knows; but something to keep in mind. That aside - the garments are great.

Oh yes, the little pockets on the ankles are for rifle magazines...

Terry
22-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Is it possible to shorten the leg? as their size would be too long for my inside leg, would it effect the draw string?

garethw
22-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Is it possible to shorten the leg? as their size would be too long for my inside leg, would it effect the draw string?

the draw string is in the hem at the bottom of the leg, so yes you'd lose it.... But I'm sure it would be easy enough to turn them up and sew around with a machine.. that way if you wanted it you could thread the draw string back through...

Juanodaxis
22-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Damn!! I have to control my self, I just nearly got a pair my self. Nice review, and I really like them.

AdrianRose
23-03-2012, 12:15 AM
Excellent review. Thank you for taking the time to do this for us.

Much appreciated.

Ade.

happybonzo
23-03-2012, 05:40 AM
I hadn't heard the Military 1st (http://www.military1st.co.uk/) people before. Their prices look pretty good - many thanks

Terry
23-03-2012, 07:05 AM
Decided, gonna get a pair, thanks

Juanodaxis
28-03-2012, 05:43 PM
I knew I would, it was coming, I just ordered a pair.

Terry
28-03-2012, 06:06 PM
I got mine Yesterday and very pleased with them, much stronger than craghoppers

garethw
28-03-2012, 07:43 PM
I got mine Yesterday and very pleased with them, much stronger than craghoppers
Got two pairs, been wearing them solid now for two weeks.. way better than Craggies, and very comfy... the cinch buckles aren't great, but as mine are on the large side, (I'm probably 36" on a given 35-39") I can thread them back and block the buckle tightly. the fit better that way.
I think they are fantastic trousers for the money.
cheers
Gareth

Jason
23-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Good review ! Thanks for sharing !!

rosseveritt
23-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Thx for that Gareth. Great review. Thx for sharing. :)

knifetofke
21-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Decided, gonna get a pair, thanks

Yep me too!!

David_JAFO
21-10-2012, 07:49 PM
hello,
You'll find some of these European Countries kit as you say 'weird sizes' I found this with
Dutch & French kit.A lot like US & UK conversions. Anyway great review & Coyote once worn/washed
a few times is the biz like any O.G/DPM cammo :wink:
Regards
David

A word of caution about Helikon's sizing. It's very weird. Their shirts and jackets tend to be oversize but their trousers tend to be slightly undersize. Maybe Polish men are built like that. Who knows; but something to keep in mind. That aside - the garments are great.
Oh yes, the little pockets on the ankles are for rifle magazines...