PDA

View Full Version : Camping recipes

Metal mug
20-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Has anyone heard any good outdoor recipes lately? Martin gave a lovely one for mushroooms under the fungi thread. I recently made some hardtack but that's more of a practicle food. It's quite easy to make

You will need

Plain flour
Some water
salt (optional)
A flour covered chpping board
Rolling pin (optional)
A knife
And an oven (of course)

1. You get one cup of flour and one 1/4 -1/2 cup of water and mix it into a dry dough.

2. Add your optional pinch of salt to the mix

3. Now knead (or roll) out your mix on to the chopping board to about 1/3 of inch thick (1cm) although you can experiment with thickness.

4. Cut out your hard tack biscuits. You are aiming for something around the size of a chocolate bourbon. This size is the easiest to eat.

5. Now use you fork and prick hole all over both sides of the biscuit.

6. Place evenly on baking tray and put in oven preheated to 190 c. (375 f )

7. Leave for 30 minutes and then flip the biscuits over and put back in oven.

8. 30 minutes later and the biscuits are golden brown and you are done leave the biscuits out for a while to cool and then put into a biscuit tin for a handy trail food. Or if you can't wait eat them all before they've even cooled. ;)

And there you go a handy trail food. But I must point out that this isn't gourmet dining, the biscuit is pretty flavourless and very hard. But because of the hardness it means it can be stored from 1-4 years if made properly. But be careful when eating, try and chew it with your molars. Anyway I hope that was interesting to someone.:D And if you know any camping recipes please share them. I'm always interested in food. ;)

MikeWilkinson
22-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Just in case you don't already have a bannock recipie.

Bannocks have to be one of the best trail breads that can be cooked whilst out and about, and can be pretty much made by every cooking method (bake, grill, fry, boil).

I love the stuff, and finding wild bits and pieces to add to it, make every bannock different.

So here it is the basic Bannock mix :-

1 cup flour
1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1 heaped teaspoon of sugar(optional)
Water
I tend to premix all the dry ingredients in a box or bag and add the water when I want to make some.

Then to make it i just make a little well in the mixture, add some water and gently mix it with a spoon till I have a nice ball of batter that I can remove from the flour, and then store the flour till next time.

I've added chopped ramsons, hedge garlic, bilberries, cheese... all sorts really.

My two favourite cooking methods are to grill on a raquet or to bake in hot coals (I like to wrap mine in ramson leaves when doing this). The main thing is to not cook it too quickly, around 15mins to half an hour with a bannock about 1cm thick.

It is great on its own, but better with a good soup or soggy rice dish. Or perhaps warm with some nice fried wild mushrooms and spring greens. Mmmmmm:campfire:

Just reading back over this I realised jack, your hard tack is just a really thin bannock baked hard!

Bush_Men
22-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Think I might try that bannock recipe as a part of the tests that I'm making to my penny stove and add some raisins and walnuts.

Fletching
23-12-2010, 11:07 PM
I've been making hardtack/ship's biscuits for years as an outdoor staple, but recently I've been adding 'Vegeta' instead of salt. It's a Croatian vegetable salt/soup base that's very popular with the Polish community (hence its availability here now). It takes hardtack to a new dimension and it's also worth having some of the Vegeta powder in your mess kit for soups/stews etc. Even by itself in hot water (teaspoon per cup), it makes a decent broth. You should be able to get it at any Polish food shop/where they stock Polish foods. Give it a try.

Steve

Fletching
24-12-2010, 12:44 AM
...forgot the references (sorry!):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegeta_%28food%29

http://www.vegeta.com/products/vegeta

Steve

Shawn
18-01-2011, 04:33 AM
I haven't tried bannock yet, but I definitely want to.

Realbark
18-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Not stictly a camping recipe but easy to do and carry.

http://www4.gvsu.edu/triert/s/articles/jerky1.htm

bushcraft.mcf
12-03-2011, 12:46 AM
sounds not bad:D going to make some bannock but add the vegeta that fletching was talkin about thanks guys:D

Metal mug
12-03-2011, 09:55 PM
I just tried something similar to vegeta and it's a really good ingredient. Thanks fletching!