PDA

View Full Version : Experimental hobo 'Volcano' wood stove

paul standley
20-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Thought I'd share some pic's on a hobo stove I'm playing around with. I say “Hobo” but it did cost me a little for the material.
It's based on a Caldera/volcano or cone style but made from a stainless steel mesh which was actually a Square BBQ grill material I bought from Wilkinson's (UK store) when they were selling off last seasons BBQ bits and bobs in October.
The mesh maintains a reasonable level of oxygen inside the cone and the design and size helps keep the embers/coals in place.
The cone seems to focus the heat up through the stove and once going, doesn't come through the mesh of the wall of the stove much but moves upward as a chimney effect.
Fuel is stacked vertically in the cone to start with and once going, sticks to keep the fire going are added through the A shape gap formed when the square grid is secured at one end with a small nut & bolt.
Can be folded out flat for packing or rolled up into a tube around a billy can or canister for packing.
Cost me £1.25 for the stainless steel mesh...!
This is still work in progress but used it yesterday in the field (in the snow) and worked well so I'm carry on a see if I can refine it. It is a little taller than I think it needs to be and slightly unstable so I'll shorten slightly and it would benefit from a small gap between top of cone and pot so those are the first mods.

Paul

JEEP
20-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Very interesting design. Very cool looking. I am looking forward to seeing the updates.

MikeWilkinson
22-12-2010, 11:38 AM
I like the idea of that, you could use it as a grill on an open fire as well, just straighten it out and support it with some tent pegs! :campfire:

Or Wrap it in foil and use as a wind screen for your back up alcohol stove.

raise it off the ground flat and use as a fire pan when the ground is wet or uber cold.

Hmm, may have to find one of these and have a play.

Good find.