PDA

View Full Version : Duffle coats?

luresalive
18-03-2012, 06:15 PM
I was talking with a friend about how much bushcrafters pay for good woolen garments like Swanndri, Duluth and the Bison wool shirts when he mentioned why don't we just wear Duffle coats..they're wool,they're warm,they work (remember our school days) and they're durable and I've seen them in charity shops for £5!!! Why don't we?, it does seem to have everything we want in a garment ..or is it just because Ray doesn't wear one?

rossbird
18-03-2012, 07:47 PM
If I could find one I would happily wear it.

JEEP
18-03-2012, 09:08 PM
The way I remember them, the fabric of dufflecoats is rather thick, stiff and heavy. Not ideal for an active lifestyle like bushcraft imho.

Products like Swanndri are made from thinner, softer and lighter fabrics.

Marvell
19-03-2012, 11:42 AM
The way I remember them, the fabric of dufflecoats is rather thick, stiff and heavy. Not ideal for an active lifestyle like bushcraft imho.

Active? :)

rossbird
19-03-2012, 01:13 PM

Products like Swanndri are made from thinner, softer and lighter fabrics.

Your right Jeep the original ones I remember,were thick, long and heavy.
There were later ones, which were shorter and lighter and in different colours, though not as thin as Swanndri and the like.
I would be happy to try one of those.

luresalive
19-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Active? :)

Hear hear !! I think they'd be perfect for my type of outdoor (in)activity !

happybonzo
20-03-2012, 05:57 AM
I can remember B. Duffle coats from school. We all went around looking like extras from "In Which We Serve" The coats never seemed to close up and there were always gaps that the wind and rain used to find. After a while, the coats took on their own peculiar smell. I'm sure if you whistled the things would have come to heel.

David_JAFO
29-10-2012, 07:17 PM
hello,
I've got an original issue sand coloured Duffle Coat. I picked this up
from the stores in the U.K in prep for Gulf War I (Operation Granby) for warmth,
fitted ok over the windproof smock no problem, thinking ahead desert cold nights,
if they were good enough for the L.R.D.G WWII, well I'm sure along with the other
WWII spare kit Sand Windproof over Smocks that were issued, this would do just
fine for the Great Western Desert of Iraq. Later Arab Long Coats were procured for
warmth. I'm sure the size of these Duffel Coats came with a set of
tent poles & pegs I agree with happybonzo yes they do tend to take on their
own particular smell, my coat mothballs & petrol lol :wink:
Regards
David

FishyFolk
29-10-2012, 07:35 PM
They are even heavier when wet. And I look like a duffle coat in one...I wore motorcycle leather jackets in winter to school...and Denim in the summer. Later it was old worn out m-65 jackets and a PLO style shemagh wrapped around my neck...No school uniforms in Norway.

KaiTheIronHound
30-10-2012, 01:40 PM
I reckon one advantage of living down under is that i find swanndri jackets second hand and on the seriously cheap fairly regularly. I currently own 2, and they cost me about 5AUD all up :)

Chiseller
02-09-2013, 06:13 PM
And don't forget the good ol donkey jacket ;)

rossbird
02-09-2013, 07:03 PM
And don't forget the good ol donkey jacket ;)

I remember mine well, from my school days, thought I was really cool in it:rolleyes:
Some bugger pinched it:mad:
Don't think I ever got over that:wink:

Silverback
02-09-2013, 07:14 PM
I remember mine well,

It was quite common round our parts too. They had orange shoulders with NCB written on the back....became none existent post 1984 :(

Chiseller
02-09-2013, 07:19 PM
They still turn up.....used to be standard issue for binmen etc....

Silverback
02-09-2013, 07:26 PM
They still turn up.....used to be standard issue for binmen etc....

And fans of the Smiths..... ;) My dad had one...he worked for KMC as a road sweeper