PDA

View Full Version : first aid kit (cyclist)

shakya
07-03-2012, 07:18 PM
I know it's an old subject, but i need to put together a first aid kit, is there a list of essential items, or is it better to buy a made up kit? If so, then which kit would you suggest.

Thanks in advance, Shakya

Ben Casey
07-03-2012, 08:18 PM
If you go to LIDL thay have a decent car one at the min or it could be ALDI but from that you could take what you need for a tenner I hope that helps you :)

Silverback
07-03-2012, 08:39 PM
gaffer tape

Wham666
07-03-2012, 09:25 PM
I'd say dressings for grazes are a must when on a bike!

Martin
07-03-2012, 10:26 PM
I would say it's better to make up a kit of your own. My walking kit comprises the essential dressings, plasters, blister plasters etc, as well as a foil blanket, some paracetamol, Immodium. It's lightweight, stored inside two sealed plastic bags and doesn't contain any stuff I don't need nor does it come in a heavyweight case. Oh, and it cost next to nothing to put together.

Martin

Silverback
07-03-2012, 11:07 PM
PM me some specifics as to the trip/duration/location and I'll make up a list of suggestions for you

AdrianRose
07-03-2012, 11:11 PM
I think that it may be worth mentioning a tick removal tool to be included in your kit as its getting close to "that" time again. I use the O'tom Twister and it's great.

Assuming of course that you are mountain biking through forests or areas with lots of bracken.

Cheers
Ade

Silverback
07-03-2012, 11:14 PM
I use the O'tom Twister and it's great.

2nd vote for the o'tom

Kernowek Scouser
07-03-2012, 11:56 PM
I just carry my general first aid kit - a Poundland pouch and contents plus scissors, micro porous tape, blister stick and plasters, field dressing and safety pins, savlon, paracetamol and multi vitamins; plus water (to drink and clean wounds) and sun cream. I carry other stuff too, but that is repair and survival gear.

It is a bit morbid, but one thing you might also want to carry with you, as part of your first aid set up, is a little card stating your name, any medicines you are allergic to, any pre existing medical conditions first responders need to be aware of e.g. Diabetes and the name and contact details of your next of kin; just in case you come off the bike and are left dazed or unconscious.

AdrianRose
08-03-2012, 07:10 AM
It is a bit morbid, but one thing you might also want to carry with you, as part of your first aid set up, is a little card stating your name, any medicines you are allergic to, any pre existing medical conditions first responders need to be aware of e.g. Diabetes and the name and contact details of your next of kin; just in case you come off the bike and are left dazed or unconscious.

Excellent point well made sir. My mate who I go camping with has quite bad asthma and he always puts his inhaler in the same place so if he has an attack, I know exactly where it is and can get it quickly for him.

Ade.

jus_young
08-03-2012, 07:43 AM
...It is a bit morbid, but one thing you might also want to carry with you, as part of your first aid set up, is a little card stating your name, any medicines you are allergic to, any pre existing medical conditions first responders need to be aware of e.g. Diabetes and the name and contact details of your next of kin; just in case you come off the bike and are left dazed or unconscious.

T^ Another thumbs up for that one.

shakya
08-03-2012, 07:48 AM
Many thanks everyone, yes Martin, by far the best way... i prefer to purchase individual items as that way i can seek items that i already understand as well as take on board suggestions proffered that i can use, many thanks guys. I am touring Snowdonia area ... basically looking for places to 'tip toe through the tulips',as it were :))
I moved here last summer, i haven't foraged for a long time so really excited. Once i have my local area worked out I would love to wild camp in Scotland which is of course a lot more simpatico to our adventurous natures.

Shakya

shakya
08-03-2012, 07:50 AM
civilian dog tags, nice one Kernowek, thanks

shakya
08-03-2012, 07:53 AM
yes will be getting of the beaten track at every available option, don't have a mountain bike, but my machine is strong, ty for suggestion, where can i buy said item, thanks mate. Shakya

shakya
08-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Thanks Ben... i will check it out, got one round the corner:)

shakya
08-03-2012, 08:03 AM
Thanks Ade, where can i buy an O'tom twister?

Shakya

Silverback
08-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks Ade, where can i buy an O'tom twister?

Shakya

Your Vet or....http://www.otom.com/buy-otom-tick-twister

jbrown14
08-03-2012, 11:42 AM
My personal first aid kit is slightly larger than a deck of poker cards and consists of:

2-4, 2" square gauze pads
1 Partial roll of Nexcare waterproof tape (http://www.amazon.com/Nexcare-Absolute-Waterproof-1-Inch-5-Yard/dp/B001H54S82) (the BEST tape for wounds)
1 Sealed 2"x3yd gauze roll
Small pill case with analgesics
Several adhesive bandages (plasters)
1 pair of small tweezers

I keep my first aid kit in a red stuff sack along with my water purifying tabs.

I've got a bottle of alcohol hand sanitizer in my toilet kit that I use for cleaning shallow wounds (yeah OUCH!)

In another area of my pack I have a small bottle with duct tape (gaffer's tape) wrapped around it.

On trips with a larger groups I'll add a pair of latex examination gloves as well as beef up the number of each item.

Basically the gauze pads and roll are there to deal with any large wounds, to be supplemented by other gear/clothing.

shakya
08-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Many thanks jbrown, advice dully noted, shakya

Juanodaxis
08-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Hey guys, that's a bunch of nice sugestions. I think the rule of KISS should be used here too, but not too an extreme ofcourse. I ussually to overcomplicate my self and end up with something that's way too big, kind of a hypochondriac's wet dream.

shakya
08-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Ade... i have purchased a twister, Shakya

AdrianRose
08-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Ade... i have purchased a twister, Shakya

Okay buddy. They are a necessary evil I'm afraid.

Ade.

Dan XF
10-03-2012, 05:39 PM
The advice about history and drugs is good. Write down your medical history and any medications you are prescribed as well as any you buy over the counter and any allergies. Don't worry about too much detail, nothing annoys me more than taking a drug history after the patient tells you they have nothing wrong with them and they then tell you they take 15 different tablets but they don't know what they're called or what they're for. Frustrating! Also consider putting a phone number of your next of kin under the name ICE in your mobile, it stands for In Case of Emergency and is something the Emergency services know to look for. Don't worry about putting your blood group on anything as Paramedics don't carry blood and the hospitals will only give you O Neg until they have cross matched your blood anyway. And I always think it looks a bit sad to plaster your blood group over everything like some wannabe Special Forces Soldier.

shakya
10-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Thanks Dan, i had a laugh over your comment concerning ''wannabe special forces''... at 63 i don't think so, i will take a copy of my med records with me, it is a habit from touring Far East every winter. I like the I.C.E idea i will attend to that in any case... cheers mate.

John