PDA

View Full Version : Side packs?

Aaron Rushton
03-03-2012, 09:57 PM
hi all,
i have recently been given a blacks alpine 75+5L backpack which a friend had no need for. it seems a pretty sound pack, with plenty of adjusment and padding, but i'd like to put some side bags on it if i can. it's seems that this pack is no longer made and i certainl can't find any sidepacks made by blacks. it has two webbing compression straps on either side which i could attach sidepacks too, does anyone know of sidepacks that would be compatible with this?
Thanks,
Aaron,

Fletching
03-03-2012, 10:41 PM
I don't know that particular pack Aaron, but it depends on the spacing between the compression straps. If it's between 7 - 10 inches, then any MOLLE side pouches will do - so check Endicotts. Also, perhaps the Karrimor pouches as well.

Hope this helps.

Humakt
04-03-2012, 06:26 AM
You know what, I've never understood what is meant by things such as '75+5L'. Surely that's 80L? Or am I missing the point?

Anyway.

You'll need more than just compression straps on the side if you want to attach side pouches. Especially if you're thinking of PLCE type pouches - they're zipped and clipped on. The compression straps are just that - for making everything tighter, NOT for securing extra pouches. It may be that there is no facility on the pack for attaching side pouches. That's one of the things I don't like about civilian packs - they tend to be just one big main compartment. I like a couple of smaller pouches for smaller things that I want access to without diving around inside.

Dan XF
04-03-2012, 02:43 PM
I've got 2 snugpak response pouches that i've just put on my Sabre patrol sack. I have attached them to the side compression straps and they seem to work.

Woodwose
06-03-2012, 12:14 PM
I bought some for my Berghaus FGA that used the compression straps. Deuter sell universal side pockets.

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/deuter_external_pockets/

jus_young
06-03-2012, 08:16 PM
I bought some for my Berghaus FGA that used the compression straps. Deuter sell universal side pockets.

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/deuter_external_pockets/

They look pretty useful although I'm not sure I would be willing to wait the 32 days for standard delivery!

Aaron Rushton
06-03-2012, 09:08 PM
thats what i though1! i've got some 12.5 ltr british army bergen side pouches now anyway, thanks for the replies everyone!