PDA

View Full Version : Cornwall RV 2011

GaryBeaner
18-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone's going to the RV run by Footsteps of Discovery in April (can't remember the dates though!) .It's usually pretty good, even if it's just watching kids start to learn about nature.

Neil1
18-12-2010, 09:54 AM
I'll be there as usual!
See you there.
N

Martin
18-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Hi Gary, we'll be there too. Dates, as usual, are Good Friday thru to lunchtime on Easter Monday.

It's a great weekend in 100 acres of woodland with some great people.

See you there

Martin

JonnyP
18-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Not missed one yet, and I am not planning on missing this one.
I am planning on bringing the pole lathe down again.
Was thinking anyone who is interested could make a poachers reel or a priest, or a candle stick or whatever.. I just need to sort out with Spanner about acquiring wood..
Looking forward to it.

paul standley
18-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Hi guys, can someone fill me in about this RV please, might like to get along... what, where, when etc... cheers.

Martin
18-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Hi guys, can someone fill me in about this RV please, might like to get along... what, where, when etc... cheers.

All information is here mate. :)

http://www.footstepsofdiscovery.co.uk/cornwall.html

Martin

paul standley
18-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Thanks Martin... looks like website is down at the moment... can't connect to the main site or it's derivitives, I'll try later.

Paul.

paul standley
18-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Tried 3 different web browsers on 2 different computers and can't connect to Footsteps of Discovery site.... very strange.

I'll have another go later on... thanks Martin.

Was able to read info on other sites & Facebook about them so know a bit about the outfit and where they are located so I'll have a think. St. Austell is a long way down isn't it... :-)

Ashley Cawley
18-12-2010, 03:08 PM
..I was wondering if anyone's going to the RV run by Footsteps of Discovery in April (can't remember the dates though!) .It's usually pretty good, even if it's just watching kids start to learn about nature.
I'll be there :)

Yeah their site seems to be down for me as well at the moment. You've just reminded me! - I'm sure I put up some information about the Event in the NaturalBushcraft Event area (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/events), but I can't find it. :(

Martin
18-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Tried 3 different web browsers on 2 different computers and can't connect to Footsteps of Discovery site.... very strange.

I'll have another go later on... thanks Martin.

Was able to read info on other sites & Facebook about them so know a bit about the outfit and where they are located so I'll have a think. St. Austell is a long way down isn't it... :-)

Nah, St Austell's only about 15 minutes away, not far at all. The RV is about 5 minutes from my house. :D

To be honest, the RV is about 75 minutes drive from Exeter. St Austell is actually quite a long way from 'the end'; about 50 minutes from Penzance and maybe 75 minutes from Lands End.

Martin

paul standley
18-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Cheers Martin, that gives me a better idea... so I reckon 3.5 to 4 hours drive from my place normally plus a Devon & Cornwall Easter bank holiday weekend M5 allowance ...so add another day each way I guess...!

I may have to play it by ear... thanks for the info.

Paul.

Martin
18-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Paul, if you live in South East Wales, I'm guessing Newport or east of there? Then St Austell is no more than 3 hours.

My Mum lives in Bristol and we can be home in about two and a quarter hours from there. We live about 5 minutes from the RV site.

Martin

paul standley
18-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks Martin, I live 25 mins north west of Newport so three and a bit hrs seems about right.

Sorry Gary, I rather hijacked your thread...!

Cheers, Paul.

GaryBeaner
18-12-2010, 11:58 PM
Hi Jonny,
I'm definitely up for learning to make a poachers reel. I'm just about to learn how to use a pole lathe at College so I'm keen to learn anything.

dave budd
19-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Yep, I'm going too. I've had my official invitation (you know a phone call saying something like " I hope you are going to drag your butt down here again, it's easter weekend don't forget!") :lol:

So I'll be bringing my Iron Age forge and probably my sharpening gear too. Maybe some sharp things to play with :D

Martin
21-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Yep, I'm going too. I've had my official invitation (you know a phone call saying something like " I hope you are going to drag your butt down here again, it's easter weekend don't forget!") :lol:

So I'll be bringing my Iron Age forge and probably my sharpening gear too. Maybe some sharp things to play with :D

Yeay!!! One of the highlights of the year. I've booked with Spanner and booked on the knife sharpening workshop on Saturday morning. :)

Look forward to seeing you all there.

Link:Cornwall RV 2011 (http://footstepsofdiscovery.co.uk/cornwall.html)

Martin

aman
21-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Looks Fun and only just up the road

Metal mug
28-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Looking foward to April. :jumping-joy:

Marvell
31-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Myself, Joy and the girls are booked

Fletching
31-12-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm on an Woodlore course Wed through Fri, but might make it down for the Sat & Sun.

If I can make it, it'll be nice to meet you guys.

Steve

IBrown
18-01-2011, 05:35 PM
I will be going but can't book on-line so will be giving them a call in the morning. I will be booking the knife sharpening on Sat and my wife will be booking the wild food and the Leathercraft. The only thing I am worried about is if i bring my tent will it look out of place or should i sleep under a tarp or in a small 2 man tent. I have a Vango Icarus 500 is it out of place at a place like this?

Ashley Cawley
18-01-2011, 05:40 PM
...The only thing I am worried about is if i bring my tent will it look out of place or should i sleep under a tarp or in a small 2 man tent. I have a Vango Icarus 500 is it out of place at a place like this?
Don't be daft!... There's nothing wrong with staying a night outdoors in a tent! :p You won't look out of place because there's plenty of people who use tents there :)

JonnyP
18-01-2011, 06:06 PM
We were in a tent last year.. Who cares.. It being with like minded people and enjoying the whole event is what matters.. I am really looking forward to it..

Martin
18-01-2011, 06:27 PM
lol!!! I'll be bringing a tent this year. I used my hammock for the last two years but fancy a few creature comforts this time round. :)

Don't worry about what you bring IBrown, you'll be made most welcome as long as you're there.

Martin

IBrown
18-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks Ash,
The one thing i am looking forward to is sitting round a camp fire. Most campsites we stay at don't like campfire's

Ashley Cawley
18-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Thanks Ash,
The one thing i am looking forward to is sitting round a camp fire. Most campsites we stay at don't like campfire's
Oh, has no one told you?... There's no fires allowed at this event.

:tongue:

GaryBeaner
18-01-2011, 06:58 PM
The Wife , dog and myself usually turn up in a knackered old Daihatsu and sleep in that together. It's fine until you realise the one licking your ear's got four legs and a tail! The last two times I've been there's been a fella turns up with a tent on top his Landrover too!

IBrown
18-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Oh, has no one told you?... There's no fires allowed at this event.

:tongue:

The website says:

Wild camping, tarp & hammock, tents and caravans are welcome. Small fires are allowed on site, and there is a local shop nearby to top up supplies.

IBrown
18-01-2011, 07:26 PM
lol!!! I'll be bringing a tent this year. I used my hammock for the last two years but fancy a few creature comforts this time round. :)

Don't worry about what you bring IBrown, you'll be made most welcome as long as you're there.

Martin

IF you like your creature comforts why don't you sleep at home in your own bed and walk to the RV if its only 5min from your house lol..

Martin
18-01-2011, 07:32 PM
IF you like your creature comforts why don't you sleep at home in your own bed and walk to the RV if its only 5min from your house lol..

Don't worry, I normally go home for a poo and a shower at some stage. :) You can't beat a poo in your own toilet. Far better than those 'festival' type toilets that someone always pees on the seat in the middle of the night. :(

Martin

Ashley Cawley
18-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Don't worry, I normally go home for a poo and a shower at some stage. :) You can't beat a poo in your own toilet. Far better than those 'festival' type toilets that someone always pees on the seat in the middle of the night. :(

Martin
lmao - soo many references I want to reply to - but I'm not going to :p

IBrown
18-01-2011, 10:49 PM

Martin

Far to much info Martin.

leon-1
19-01-2011, 11:27 AM
I will be booking the knife sharpening on Sat and my wife will be booking the wild food and the Leathercraft. The only thing I am worried about is if i bring my tent will it look out of place or should i sleep under a tarp or in a small 2 man tent. I have a Vango Icarus 500 is it out of place at a place like this?

I'll see you there. Ask if there is anything in particular that your wife would like to do on the leathercraft as I was thinking about doing a demo on wetforming leather to make pouches, but if there is a particular subject that the good lady wishes to cover I can look into it.

As the guys have mentioned using a tent is no problem, many have in the past as they probably will in the future.

The website says:

Wild camping, tarp & hammock, tents and caravans are welcome. Small fires are allowed on site, and there is a local shop nearby to top up supplies.

Yeah they do allow small fires normally for cooking over, but there is a main fire up in the communal area next to the tables and benches where many congregate of an evening.

IBrown
19-01-2011, 05:19 PM
I'll see you there. Ask if there is anything in particular that your wife would like to do on the leathercraft as I was thinking about doing a demo on wetforming leather to make pouches, but if there is a particular subject that the good lady wishes to cover I can look into it.

As the guys have mentioned using a tent is no problem, many have in the past as they probably will in the future.

Yeah they do allow small fires normally for cooking over, but there is a main fire up in the communal area next to the tables and benches where many congregate of an evening.

I have just got a knife kit so i wanted her to learn how to make the sheath. She is a complete beginner as we both are where bushcraft is concerned. So we both hope to learn something at the RV. Thanks Ian

leon-1
19-01-2011, 05:38 PM
I have just got a knife kit so i wanted her to learn how to make the sheath. She is a complete beginner as we both are where bushcraft is concerned. So we both hope to learn something at the RV. Thanks Ian

Ian, have you the leather and bits to make the sheath and what type of knife is it? The last few times I have been at the RV I haven't had anytime to do anything else except leatherwork. This time I will probably only do a couple of workshops at best, but if you speak to me about it whilst we are there then I'll sort it out so that the good lady can make the sheath.

IBrown
19-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Ian, have you the leather and bits to make the sheath and what type of knife is it? The last few times I have been at the RV I haven't had anytime to do anything else except leatherwork. This time I will probably only do a couple of workshops at best, but if you speak to me about it whilst we are there then I'll sort it out so that the good lady can make the sheath.

The knife kit is Karesuando Kniven and it has all the bits and pieces to make a knife and sheath. By the way your dates ate different to the site. You say 2nd to the 5th web says 22nd to 25th I think you have a sticking 2 lol...

leon-1
19-01-2011, 06:32 PM
I'll have a word with Spanner as that was copied directly from a flyer he sent to me, the web is the correct one and thanks for the diligence. I have now corrected the dates in the previous post.

leon-1
20-01-2011, 10:44 PM
After having spoken with Mark and Spanner about the previous (incorrect flyer) they have sent me a new one.

CORNWALL RV 2011

The 2011 RV will be held at Trenowth woods on 22nd to 25th April. The woods will be open from Midday Friday to Midday Monday. Drinking water, porta loos and rubbish collection are all on site. We welcome children and dogs, we ask that you keep them safe and under control, and pick up any packages that either deposit!
2011 will see: An Iron Age Forge and knife sharpening with Dave Budd, blacksmithing with Tristan Kessel from Forgeries at Redruth, Leather craft and spoon making with Leon and Neil from Greencraft (www.greencraft.me.uk), Bowyer Edwin Deady, wild/Medicinal food walks with Rachael Lambert and knot tying with Richard Hopkins. New this year are chainsaw carving demo’, a Harris Hawk display, Ferrets and how to make ferret nets. Willow tension trays – make a simple willow platter, suitable for bread or fruit. http://www.cornishwillow.co.uk Sat only.
Basket making (Sun only) and archery demos, fletching and string making by the Muscovy Archery Club. There will be the usual talk and demonstration sessions and some children’s activities depending on interest. This RV will see a Hungi demonstration on Saturday morning with the food sold that evening, a Bushcraft boot fair on Sunday morning, so come along and buy, sell, trade, and barter. We will have charity Tomahawk throwing with a Bushcraft themed prize. Burgers, bacon rolls and hot drinks will be available throughout the RV.
Prices for 2011 are, £10 per adult per night and £5 for children, £5 per adult (£2.50 child) per for day visitors. Wild camping, tarp & hammock, tents and caravans are welcome. Small fires are allowed on site, and there is a local shop nearby to top up supplies. Workshop costs £10 per session. Session average 2 hour’s pre booking only.
Places are limited so the RV is by prior booking only. Contact Mark to ensure your spot.
Email: mark@footstepsofdiscovery.co.uk
Mobile: 07970494723

The Following workshops are available to book:

Blacksmithing Sat AM/ PM –Sun AM/PM

Bowyer Sat AM –Archery - Sun AM –Archery Comp Sat PM

Leather Craft Sat AM/ PM –Sun /PM

Spoon/Wizard making camp craft Sat AM/ PM –Sun /PM

Wild food/Medicinal Walks Sun PM only

Knife Sharpening Sat AM –Sun AM (Sharpening workshop AM, knife making PM open session)

Willow Craft Sat AM – PM

Basket making Sun AM - PM

Interest Periods

Sat Am

Hungi

Water (Footsteps of Discovery)

Knots

Harris Hawk display

Ferret Display

Sat Pm

Trapping (Footsteps of Discovery)

Intro to survival navigation

Harris Hawk display

Ferret Display

Sun Am

Boot Fair

Knots

Open Session

Children’s Activities

Sat Am

Games

Sat PM

Fire lighting

Sun PM

Egg Hunt

Bread Making

MISC

Archery Displays
Axe Throwing all weekend
Chainsaw carving
Harris Hawk
Ferrets

Ashley Cawley
21-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Doh! I've just realised that the Cornwall RV Event page (on my site) was there but unpublished! So only visible to me! It's online now:

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/events/cornwall-rv-2011-april-22nd-25th.html

IBrown
21-01-2011, 09:14 PM
My wife and I have booked the weekend. Also workshops: She will be doing wild foods and leathercraft and i will be doing knife sharpening. see you all their
Regards
Ian

Ashley Cawley
22-01-2011, 01:09 AM
Excellent, see you there Ian :)

Ben Casey
24-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Hi all been looking and Im going to see about putting my name down for it I hope they have a space left.

Roadkillphil
29-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Yay! All booked :happy-clapping:
I knew nothing about this until Matt briefed me up yesterday. My wife Em and two kids are coming too. Girls in tent and boys under tarp.
Really looking forward to this, cant wait! :camping:

Ben Casey
29-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Hi all been looking and Im going to see about putting my name down for it I hope they have a space left.

I think I forgot to say Ken and me are booked to :)

Ken
30-01-2011, 01:10 AM
I think I forgot to say Ken and me are booked to :)

...and I'm really looking forward to it as well!

paul standley
10-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Well, it seems I'm the only bu88er not going to the Cornwall RV...!

I'll keep the light on whilst you are all away.

Would have loved to go but Easter and family and grandkids etc means it's not working this time around but still hope to get to any NBC meets this year and the air gun weekend if it goes ahead and will be going to the Wilderness Gathering in August (Bison Centre in Wiltshire) this year so might see some of you there.

Paul.

Metal mug
11-02-2011, 09:09 AM

Would have loved to go but Easter and family and grandkids etc means it's not working this time around but still hope to get to any NBC meets this year and the air gun weekend if it goes ahead and will be going to the Wilderness Gathering in August (Bison Centre in Wiltshire) this year so might see some of you there.

Paul. Don't worry paul, you can break into everyone's houses while they're away. ;)

leon-1
11-02-2011, 09:40 AM

Paul.

That's a shame Paul, but needs must as they say.

I'll see you at the Gathering though.

JonnyP
17-03-2011, 08:31 PM
RV UPDATE: This year will see a Real Ale Bar on site. Workshops are filling up, don't miss out! All bookings to mark@footstepsofdiscovery.co.uk

Neil1
17-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Real Ale.......oh bugger, there goes the good intentions! Your own brew Jon?

JonnyP
17-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Real Ale.......oh bugger, there goes the good intentions! Your own brew Jon?

I would love to say yes mate, but that was an update that Mark put up on facebook earlier.. Don't know who is doing the bar, but I am looking forward to sampling their wares.. Happy Jonny.. :0)

Martin
18-03-2011, 06:39 PM
I can confirm this information. Spoke to Mark when we delivered some firewood to site earlier this week and he asked me to post something on here about the real ale bar. Looks like John got there before me. :)

Martin

Martin
27-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Right guys, only four weeks till the RV. How many of you are going? Would be great to all meet up for many drinks on the Friday night to put faces to user names etc.

Put your names on here if you are going.

Martin

Neil1
27-03-2011, 10:11 PM
I'll be there Martin!
Running spoon carving classes (and maybe some "wood-spirit" making). Really looking forward to it, its probably the best best moot of the year, so much so I turned down what could be a very lucrative booking elsewhere, but the RV is something special.
See you all there
N

Ben Casey
27-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Ken and Me are coming from Ipswich :)

GaryBeaner
27-03-2011, 10:54 PM
We'll be coming down from Dorking, the good lady, dog and myself.

Roadkillphil
27-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Me and Em, the kids and the dogs. And half a ton of jerky, ginger fairings and a drop or two of mead. And maybe the coracle.... if I ever get it finished :rolleye: And a sponge to soak up everyone elses brains (in a knowledge sense, not in a whacked out zombie kinda way!!) :D

leon-1
28-03-2011, 03:10 PM
I'll be there, told Mark last year I would come back, he's been trying to put me off ever since, but I'll definitely be there :D

JonnyP
28-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Can't wait.. :0)

dave budd
28-03-2011, 09:10 PM
I'll roll on up friday evening sometime. I've got a little craft show to do on the friday in Chagford, so won't get away from here til after 5pm :(

Will have the forge and the sharpening gear as usual. If anyone wants me to bring something in particular (or to make something in particular whilst there) then let me know before hand and I'll try to get it sorted ;)

Martin
28-03-2011, 09:12 PM
I'll roll on up friday evening sometime. I've got a little craft show to do on the friday in Chagford, so won't get away from here til after 5pm :(

Will have the forge and the sharpening gear as usual. If anyone wants me to bring something in particular (or to make something in particular whilst there) then let me know before hand and I'll try to get it sorted ;)

Hey Dave,

I'm booked on your knife sharpening workshop and have the thickest convex bevelled blade you've ever seen (well maybe you have seen one). Needs serious work to get it sharp and keep it sharp I reckon and I don't know where to start. Hope you can help me, I'm seriously considering putting a scandi grind on it to make it easier to sharpen.

Martin

Scott
28-03-2011, 09:43 PM
I'll should be there

bigstan
28-03-2011, 11:24 PM
I will be there but only as a day visitor. I have booked for the saturday knife sharpening workshop. Stan.

Ben Casey
28-03-2011, 11:44 PM
I will be there but only as a day visitor. I have booked for the saturday knife sharpening workshop. Stan.

I'm not sure how to book a course or if I have do I send an Email over?

klause
29-03-2011, 01:45 AM
Anyone going from up North who would oblige two (no car owning - petrol paying) Hitch hikers?

Martin
29-03-2011, 08:21 AM
I'm not sure how to book a course or if I have do I send an Email over?

Ben, send an email to mark@footstepsofdiscovery.co.uk stating your intention to attend and what workshops you'd like to take part in. He'll make sure you are booked in if there's space.

Martin

Ben Casey
29-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Ben, send an email to mark@footstepsofdiscovery.co.uk stating your intention to attend and what workshops you'd like to take part in. He'll make sure you are booked in if there's space.

Martin

Cheers Martin I will get on to it today :)

dave budd
29-03-2011, 09:26 PM
ah so that's how booking a workshop works. I just turn up and teach the thing! :rolleyes:

jus_young
29-03-2011, 09:31 PM
ah so that's how booking a workshop works. I just turn up and teach the thing! :rolleyes:

But you are special Dave.

Will be there with swmbo, little miss and junior bushcrafter.

Metal mug
01-04-2011, 11:50 AM
I'll be there, but only on Sunday. And i'll be doing the wild food workshop.

Aaron Rushton
01-04-2011, 06:36 PM
well im near cardiff and i won't have the car. are there any rules about kids (well, i'm 14) staying there unsupervised. i wouyld possibly be able to make it down on the train. would be great to stay there a few days jsut t have a look at the courses and meet a few off here.

Martin
01-04-2011, 06:39 PM
well im near cardiff and i won't have the car. are there any rules about kids (well, i'm 14) staying there unsupervised. i wouyld possibly be able to make it down on the train. would be great to stay there a few days jsut t have a look at the courses and meet a few off here.

Aaron, it's very important that you contact mark@footstepsofdiscovery.co.uk to see if it's ok for you to come unsupervised. There may be insurance and child protection issues for them to consider.

Martin

Aaron Rushton
02-04-2011, 07:58 PM
thanks marting, and no i am not able to go unsupervised :(

Martin
02-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Sorry to hear that Aaron but better find out now than to turn up and get refused entry. The beauty of being so young is that you've got a lifetime of bushcrafting ahead of you. :)

Martin

Metal mug
02-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Sorry to hear that Aaron but better find out now than to turn up and get refused entry. The beauty of being so young is that you've got a lifetime of bushcrafting ahead of you. :)

Martin Good point Martin, bit of a downer for the older bushcrafters though.

jus_young
02-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Good point Martin, bit of a downer for the older bushcrafters though.

But they can reflect on the enjoyment they have had in gaining their knowledge whilst laughing at the mistakes of those much younger...

Adam Savage
12-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Martin convinced me, I wanna come LOL

JonnyP
12-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Not long to go now.. Easter is really late this year..

Adam Savage
12-04-2011, 07:33 PM
I know. Only a week and a bit. It's like christmas for the likes of us. haha

dave budd
12-04-2011, 07:48 PM
only a week or so to go! ah crap, time is going past REALLY fast!!!!

Ben Casey
12-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Oh I better get packing :)

Adam Savage
12-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Which dress to wear????? ohhhh I'm such a mess..... HAHA

Ben Casey
12-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Which dress to wear????? ohhhh I'm such a mess..... HAHA

Pink or blue one it is a hard choice :D

Adam Savage
12-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Pink or blue one it is a hard choice :D

I was gunna go for primrose, now you have made me start all over again....darn it...:eek:

Ben Casey
12-04-2011, 11:19 PM
I was gunna go for primrose, now you have made me start all over again....darn it...:eek:

I will have to rob some washing lines so I have some panties LOL

Adam Savage
12-04-2011, 11:21 PM
I will have to rob some washing lines so I have some panties LOL

Go commando, it's the best way to go in case you get any propositions from passing jacks LOL

Ben Casey
12-04-2011, 11:22 PM
go commando, it's the best way to go in case you get any propositions from passing jacks lol

lol

Ben Casey
12-04-2011, 11:26 PM
lol

Talking about commandos I wonder if we have any ex commandos on here :)

Adam Savage
12-04-2011, 11:27 PM
They're probably off teaching this stuff LOL

Ben Casey
12-04-2011, 11:30 PM
They're probably off teaching this stuff LOL

Never thought of that :)

Metal mug
13-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Has anyone got the directions yet? :confused2:

bigstan
13-04-2011, 07:46 PM
I could use some directions as well. I dont trust satnav since i ended up in a field in Bodmin.

JonnyP
13-04-2011, 08:27 PM
This is the way we go, coming in from the East..

Go through St Austell taking the road (A 3058) out towards Newquay. After a few miles you will get to St Stephen. Take the first road on the left as you just get into the village. This is a short housing estate road. At the T junction turn left and follow the lane as it goes past a school and out of the village heading South. Follow the lane for a few miles. You will pass under a viaduct and come to a T junction. Turn right and the RV is about 1 mile on the right.
Janie and me will be there on the gate to welcome you guys.

Martin
13-04-2011, 08:29 PM
We can do better than that. Here's the place in all its 100 acre glory. :)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=50.321614,-4.911168&spn=0.007658,0.027466&t=h&z=16

Martin

Martin
13-04-2011, 08:33 PM
This is the way we go, coming in from the East..

Go through St Austell taking the road (A 3058) out towards Newquay. After a few miles you will get to St Stephen. Take the first road on the left as you just get into the village. This is a short housing estate road. At the T junction turn left and follow the lane as it goes past a school and out of the village heading South. Follow the lane for a few miles. You will pass under a viaduct and come to a T junction. Turn right and the RV is about 1 mile on the right.
Janie and me will be there on the gate to welcome you guys.

Is that why you're always late?

It's a whole lost easier if you drive through St Stephen and when you get to the top of the hill out of the village take the first left to Grampound Road, then drive along there for about two miles until you see the left turn to Trenowth which will have the Footsteps of Discover signs up. The entrance to the woods is on the left about 400 yards up the road. :)

Martin

JonnyP
13-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Is that why you're always late?

It's a whole lost easier if you drive through St Stephen and when you get to the top of the hill out of the village take the first left to Grampound Road, then drive along there for about two miles until you see the left turn to Trenowth which will have the Footsteps of Discover signs up. The entrance to the woods is on the left about 400 yards up the road. :)

Martin

I prefer the prettier and shorter route :0p~~

Ken
13-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Ben and I can rely (lol) on Miss Tomtom, she never fails to amaze with her route ideas. All this talk of wearing dresses has reminded me of the lovely pink flowered rara skirt I've been looking for an excuse to wear! LMAO

Adam Savage
14-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Ben and I can rely (lol) on Miss Tomtom, she never fails to amaze with her route ideas. All this talk of wearing dresses has reminded me of the lovely pink flowered rara skirt I've been looking for an excuse to wear! LMAO

I agree, tommy knows most places. And I'm still toying with the idea of a black and gold number myself, or would that just be showing off? ;)

bigstan
14-04-2011, 11:14 AM
I was thinking of wearing my birthday suit but i think it needs a lot of ironing.

Adam Savage
14-04-2011, 11:41 AM
I was thinking of wearing my birthday suit but i think it needs a lot of ironing.

sounds painful lol

GlenM
15-04-2011, 04:27 PM
This is for everyone going to the R.V. 2011, have a great time and I hope the weather stays good for the duration. I sadly wont be there untill possibly late saturday but more likely Sunday morning, it's clashed with the family holiday to North Wales. A good friend of mine Martyn Cole will be showing some of his handcrafted knives on Sunday at the boot fayre, so all you knife fans be sure to check him out! He's a local lad from St. Stephens, trained gunsmith by trade, knifemaker in his spare time...............shameless plug over!!

I'm off in the early hours, no internet where I'm going so this is my last post untill Sunday............enjoy Trenowth Woods and everything in it!!

Glen

Adam Savage
15-04-2011, 06:24 PM
This is for everyone going to the R.V. 2011, have a great time and I hope the weather stays good for the duration. I sadly wont be there untill possibly late saturday but more likely Sunday morning, it's clashed with the family holiday to North Wales. A good friend of mine Martyn Cole will be showing some of his handcrafted knives on Sunday at the boot fayre, so all you knife fans be sure to check him out! He's a local lad from St. Stephens, trained gunsmith by trade, knifemaker in his spare time...............shameless plug over!!

I'm off in the early hours, no internet where I'm going so this is my last post untill Sunday............enjoy Trenowth Woods and everything in it!!

Glen

Thanks mate, hope to see you there

Adam

JonnyP
15-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Have a good holiday Glen.. See you when you get there mate.. :0)

Ben Casey
15-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Have a good holiday Glen.. See you when you get there mate.. :0)

Best wishes from me to and hope to meet you there

Metal mug
17-04-2011, 07:54 AM
I was thinking of wearing my birthday suit but i think it needs a lot of ironing. You could just use pollycell. :) Works for me! :D

Martin
17-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Well, I went on my Sunday run today and decided to run out Trenowth way. The woods looked absolutely stunning this afternoon!! :)

I am so looking forward to next weekend, I'm not sure I'm going to sleep for the next few nights. Still, only 5 sleeps to go. :D

Martin

Adam Savage
17-04-2011, 06:08 PM
You big kid, I'll be the same, plus I'm off to Ivans wednesday to help him with his little tour of the local sites on the moor. I need to get packed.....lol

Neil1
18-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Only four sleeps to go!
Already packed and halfway there!
N

Adam Savage
18-04-2011, 09:33 AM
I've only just started packing LOL

jus_young
18-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Cars been loaded up for the last 2 days, the wife and kids have packed their bags and I have fixed the antenna on the car so I have the radio working for the 3 hour drive (rather than listening to the moans from the kids).

You can probably gather that we are a bit eager ourselves.

Adam Savage
18-04-2011, 11:48 PM
I loaded the car today too, was thinking of sitting in the drivers seat, watching the clock tick away until the big day, but the stove kept melting the dash....haha

Ben Casey
18-04-2011, 11:59 PM
I loaded the car today too, was thinking of sitting in the drivers seat, watching the clock tick away until the big day, but the stove kept melting the dash....haha

I have another two days before I load the car but wish I could set of now as I have itchy feet :)

Neil1
19-04-2011, 09:14 AM
I packed my teaching box yesterday - today I'll be mostly counting down - three sleeps to go!

Ben Casey
19-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Hi Guys I dunno if it will be okay to put this on here I have a Drawknife I bought last year I was going to do some projects with it but hings changed anyway I will be bringing it with me if any one fancies a swap for something? I never got to use it and it still has its plastic cover.

If I shouldnt put that here Im sorry just delete it will you?

Anyway having sleepless nights and my feet are getting more and more itchy LOL
Ben

Ashley Cawley
19-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Hi Guys I dunno if it will be okay to put this on here I have a Drawknife I bought last year I was going to do some projects with it but hings changed anyway I will be bringing it with me if any one fancies a swap for something? I never got to use it and it still has its plastic cover.

If I shouldnt put that here Im sorry just delete it will you?

Anyway having sleepless nights and my feet are getting more and more itchy LOL
Ben
Hey Ben, I'm interested in a draw-knife, any chance you could send me a pic of what style it is? I don't know what I've got to swap yet but I'll get thinking.

Metal mug
20-04-2011, 09:00 AM
It's bushcraft swap shop. :)

Metal mug
20-04-2011, 09:01 AM
I must remember to pack my royal wedding mug.

Ben Casey
20-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Hey Ben, I'm interested in a draw-knife, any chance you could send me a pic of what style it is? I don't know what I've got to swap yet but I'll get thinking.

Hi Mate I can take a pic and put it on here if thats ok :)

Raven
20-04-2011, 10:59 AM
not long now chaps, i don't no who's more excited, me or my 6yr old! me i think? ;)

Fletching
20-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Hi Chaps,

I'm off to my Woodlore course now, which finishes late on Friday. In all reality, I don't think I'm going to be able to make the 250 mile trek down afterwards for the Saturday night as I'm not using my bike (it's being sold).

Sorry I can't be there to meet you all, but have a good one and let me know how it was.

I'll do a review of the Woodlore course when I'm back.

Cheers Happy Campers!

Steve

Ben Casey
20-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Hi Chaps,

I'm off to my Woodlore course now, which finishes late on Friday. In all reality, I don't think I'm going to be able to make the 250 mile trek down afterwards for the Saturday night as I'm not using my bike (it's being sold).

Sorry I can't be there to meet you all, but have a good one and let me know how it was.

I'll do a review of the Woodlore course when I'm back.

Cheers Happy Campers!

Steve

Hi Steve I hope you have a good time :)

Ben Casey
20-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Draw Knife confirmed for Ash LOL Anyway Im of to unpack again and repack 5 time this week cant wait to set of :)

Ashley Cawley
20-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Thanks Ben - So looking forward to using this Draw-Knife! Perhaps Dave Budd can bring down the Shave-horse that Matt, Phil & I made so I can use it! ;) :p

Just so you all know, Myself & Martin will be located on the right hand-side of the woodland, relative to the path you drive in the woods on, and fairly near the entrance. I will put up the NaturalBushcraft Banner & the Cornish Flag so look for those if you want to come over and say hello...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_dzoenG8Svds/S7knJyEyiUI/AAAAAAAAqFU/OBVHyw0tz14/s640/IMG_7896.JPG

Martin
20-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Two more sleeps to go. :)

Martin

Roadkillphil
20-04-2011, 10:36 PM
:jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy:

WARNING! This post may contain flashing images, way too much excitement and possibly Nuts!

Martin
20-04-2011, 10:46 PM
I think I'm epileptic. ;)

Martin

Roadkillphil
20-04-2011, 10:50 PM
I think I'm epileptic. ;)

Martin

I've put a diclaimer on my last post..... just in case ;)

Martin
20-04-2011, 10:54 PM
i've put a diclaimer on my last post..... Just in case ;)

lmao!!!

Ben Casey
20-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Erm I think my eyes are wobbly LOL

Roadkillphil
20-04-2011, 11:21 PM
Erm I think my eyes are wobbly LOL

Haha! maybe I should've put the disclaimer in first! ;)

jus_young
20-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Don't know who is more excited, little kids or the big kid :D

Ben Casey
20-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Haha! maybe I should've put the disclaimer in first! ;)

Not to worry they will be sorted before I have to drive to the RV :)

Ashley Cawley
20-04-2011, 11:27 PM
... Sorry I can't be there to meet you all, but have a good one and let me know how it was.

I'll do a review of the Woodlore course when I'm back...

Sorry to hear you can't make it Steve but no doubt we'll meet around the campfire one day bud.

Look forward to reading your review on the Woodlore course when you get back, have fun :)

Ben Casey
20-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Just a quick one any tips on the best location to put into my tom tom for the drive there?

jus_young
20-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Just a quick one any tips on the best location to put into my tom tom for the drive there?

If you check the Footsteps website, I think there is a postcode (or I hope there is cos I'm relying on it!)

The wifes worried about whether there is a big enough space between the trees for an 8 person tent

Ben Casey
20-04-2011, 11:40 PM
If you check the Footsteps website, I think there is a postcode (or I hope there is cos I'm relying on it!)

The wifes worried about whether there is a big enough space between the trees for an 8 person tent

I'm sure you will be ok I have the postcode I just wondered if it was close to the RV.

Ashley Cawley
20-04-2011, 11:40 PM
...The wifes worried about whether there is a big enough space between the trees for an 8 person tent
Worry not, there is 100 acres of varying woodland, open glades and all, there is room for every shelter - hell one year Martin brought a mobile-home ;)

jus_young
20-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Worry not, there is 100 acres of varying woodland, open glades and all, there is room for every shelter - hell one year Martin brought a mobile-home ;)

I thought Martin only lived 5 mins away, it wouldn't have even warmed up! I got them worried by saying that I had packed the tarp just in case.

This is the address for the woodland that I found for quick reference:

Trenowth Wood,
Truro,
Cornwall,
United Kingdom,
TR2 4EH

jus_young
21-04-2011, 07:46 AM
One more sleep to go...

Neil1
21-04-2011, 07:52 AM
I know..............I won't be able to sleep tonight ..............................too excited.

Martin
21-04-2011, 08:50 AM
I thought Martin only lived 5 mins away, it wouldn't have even warmed up! I got them worried by saying that I had packed the tarp just in case.

LOL, I ran there on Sunday in about 25 minutes, so I'm pretty close as I'm not a fast runner.

Actually, it was a 5 berth caravan, not a mobile home, and it was in case my daughter got scared in the woods at night. Was slightly more trouble than it was worth but I'll share that story with you round the camp fire one night this weekend. ;)

Martin

Roadkillphil
21-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Whoop!!! :happy-clapping: packing our gear for tomorrow, really stoked now!! :D
Although, I've got three rucksacs worth of kit/food for our family and only me and my wife to carry!! Looks like I'll be back and front loaded!! :D
Doing some serious vetting of kit right now :D

Roadkillphil
21-04-2011, 12:59 PM
And Ems having a baking spree!! The house smells yummy!! She's making loaves, tomato rolls, onion rolls, ginger fairings, shortbread and flapjack to take with us! NomNomNom!! :D
Unfortunately I've not had chance to make a load of jerky :(

Ben Casey
21-04-2011, 01:06 PM
And Ems having a baking spree!! The house smells yummy!! She's making loaves, tomato rolls, onion rolls, ginger fairings, shortbread and flapjack to take with us! NomNomNom!! :D
Unfortunately I've not had chance to make a load of jerky :(

Hmmmmmmm sounds cool I will be searching for the food LOL Thats me full tank of petrol just need to finsh packing :D

Martin
21-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Whoop!!! :happy-clapping: packing our gear for tomorrow, really stoked now!! :D
Although, I've got three rucksacs worth of kit/food for our family and only me and my wife to carry!! Looks like I'll be back and front loaded!! :D
Doing some serious vetting of kit right now :D

Don't feel you have to travel too light Phil. Cars will be parked pretty close to where we'll be camping so it won't be too far to walk. It's an opportunity to take all the stuff you wouldn't take for a boys weekend away or for a hard core bushcraft/survival weekend. Incidentally, we need to talk to you about one of those. ;)

Martin

Ben Casey
21-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Don't feel you have to travel too light Phil. Cars will be parked pretty close to where we'll be camping so it won't be too far to walk. It's an opportunity to take all the stuff you wouldn't take for a boys weekend away or for a hard core bushcraft/survival weekend. Incidentally, we need to talk to you about one of those. ;)

Martin

Thats cool that parking is close by :)

harryhawk
21-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Thank god for that! The bitch finally mated this evening .......So me and the boy will be down tomorrow. Harry, 2010 Axe throwing champion!

jus_young
21-04-2011, 11:10 PM

Martin

The car is full to the hilt with everything the wife and kids need so 'close by' parking will definately be appreciated. 50 kilos of tent will not be carried too far by me thats for sure!

jus_young
21-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Thank god for that! The bitch finally mated this evening .......So me and the boy will be down tomorrow. Harry, 2010 Axe throwing champion!

My mind is working overtime on this one!

jus_young
21-04-2011, 11:32 PM
If you come across some nutters pitch with a BIG blue tent, picnic table outside with a rainbow wind break, flying a rainbow spinner, a devon flag and a skull & cross bones from a 5 metre high whippy flagpole...

:jumping-joy: That will be me! :jumping-joy:

Roadkillphil
22-04-2011, 06:58 AM
:jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy:

WARNING! This post may contain flashing images, way too much excitement and possibly Nuts!

Multiplied by 10!!!! :D
Got my last minute list to sort out, a million animals to feed and garden to water. Then we be campin!!! :D :D :D

Metal mug
22-04-2011, 07:18 AM
See you all on Sunday then. T^

jus_young
22-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Cars jammed full, going to be pulling wheelies all the way there! The house sitters have arrived for free accomodation (we get animals fed, bonus!) Last minute shopping to do on the way but haven't figured out how to fit the kids in the car yet :confused:

bigstan
22-04-2011, 10:10 AM
With a bit of luck my bitch will mate tonight, so i will arrive with a big smile on my face.

Martin
24-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Well, that's all over for another year. Great to meet those of you who made it. Sorry some of you couldn't get there and shame we couldn't spend more time with Jack and Sean who only turned up today. :(

Another great meet though, with some fantastic company. :)

Martin

swkieran
24-04-2011, 05:10 PM
sounds like great fun martin :),i wouldve gone if i knew what it was etc,would of been nice to meet you guys off here,theres always next year :)

Martin
24-04-2011, 05:15 PM
sounds like great fun martin :),i wouldve gone if i knew what it was etc,would of been nice to meet you guys off here,theres always next year :)

lol. Kieran, this thread has been running since before Christmas. Please feel free to ask any question at any time, I promise we will treat you gently. :p

Martin

bigstan
24-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Hey it was good to meet some of you at the RV. Sorry i wasnt quite with it but the flu knocked me down a bit. At least my voice lasted until i got home. Cant speak at all now. It would be great to do something simalar later in the year. Thanks for the warm welcome. Cheers. Stan.

Roadkillphil
24-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Had a great time at the RV :D Made a bow, thanks to Edwin for introducing me to another growing skill.
Em made a lovely bread platter and the kids had an awesome time egg hunting, tearing around the woods and doing firelighting with Mark.
I spent hours watching Dave Budd in his iron age forge, very interesting, sorry Dave for bombarding you with questions ;) He made me a chilli pepper necklace on request to remind me of the forge water that knocked me on my arse!

I'd like to thank everyone for their amazing company, in particular, Lofty Wiseman, a charming fella!!!

Great to meet all the folks I've chatted to on here

All the best

Phil

Ivan
25-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Nice to see you guys again , and meet some new faces , apologies for early exit as grey water treatment plant failed , after shoulder deep in it and electrician , new pump required , dont want to talk about cost ! or ballsing up my weekend , still enjoyed what time spent , apart from chilli vodka ! you learn something new everyday. Hope we can all do it soon at my place

all the best. Ivan...

Adam Savage
25-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Great to meet you guys. Hope to see you soon. Most of you are exactly as expected, others are a little different, all a good bunch of lads though.

Metal mug
25-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Hey it was good to meet some of you at the RV. Sorry i wasnt quite with it but the flu knocked me down a bit. At least my voice lasted until i got home. Cant speak at all now. It would be great to do something simalar later in the year. Thanks for the warm welcome. Cheers. Stan. I'll just take advantage of this quote - I was planning a meet later on in the year at Exmoor. If anyone is interested put a post on the 'Calling all North Devon/Exmoor bushcrafters' thread. Thanks.

ps I really enjoyed the RV. Lovely to meet people and put names to faces.

Jack

jus_young
25-04-2011, 05:38 PM
I'm back! Had to make a pit stop via Devon Outdoors as a new slightly smaller family tent is in order for the woodland activities me thinks (also need a few other bits :wink: ).
Good weekend enjoyed by the family and they are now up for a bit more, and I thought the bushcraft bug was going to be just for me :( .
Good to see some familiar faces and meet some new. Couldn't spend as much time as I may have liked with everyone but this was family time, boys weekend on the cards next I think. Cheers Dave for the boys knife blank, will post some pics when I have handled and finished it.
Off down the sea front to finish the long weekend with some good old fish and chips.

dave budd
25-04-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm knackered now. Got home a bit before lunch and I am really looking forward to going to bed early tonight!

Was a fun weekend for sure :happy-clapping: Great to see some old friends, new friends and mad scotsmen!

Phil, Justin, you are both welcome guys :) I'm sure the knife will turn out nicely and I look forward to seeing it finished. Andlots of questions thrown at me while I'm demonstrating stops me from talking rubbish at you!

Tom Bombadil
25-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Glad to meet you all and your families - had a great time and wish I could have spent more time with you all, some of you travelled a long way and I'm sure you'll think it was worth it. Thanks for the ginger fairings and rolls Phil and Em.:)

Definitely interested in a North Devon/Exmoor meet. Think I'll sleep tonight with or without real ale!

JonnyP
25-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Great meet.. I am very tired now and need sleeps.
What happened with the Natural Bushcraft boys all disappearing off early then..?
I missed a few faces this year, but it was nice to meet new faces as well as the regulars. :0)

Tom Bombadil
25-04-2011, 07:27 PM

It was a great get together swkieran,:happy-clapping: wish I could have arrived a day or so earlier. If it's any consolation, should we get a mini-meet organised up here in North Devon or Exmoor, I'm sure metal mug will let you know.:campfire:

Neil1
25-04-2011, 07:41 PM
What a great weekend - the best RV yet me thinks! Great to catch up with all the usual suspects and me a couple of new ones too!
Sorry to miss you this morning Jonny - but we needed to hit the road early. Will try to get down and see you guys at the end of the season.
N

Martin
25-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Wonder if Ben and Ken have made it home yet??

Hope they had a good journey, the A30 was looking pretty busy at lunchtime today. :(

Martin

Adam Savage
25-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Wonder if Ben and Ken have made it home yet??

Hope they had a good journey, the A30 was looking pretty busy at lunchtime today. :(

Martin

I sent Ben a text earlier, but still no reply. I'm sure he will let us know as soon as he returns LOL

Ben Casey
25-04-2011, 11:30 PM
Hi Guys we got back ok a bleedin long drive tho but I personally had a great time and it was really good to meet all of yous :D

Tom Bombadil
26-04-2011, 07:39 AM
Hi Guys we got back ok a bleedin long drive tho but I personally had a great time and it was really good to meet all of yous :D

Ditto Ben and Ken. T^Hope you weren't too knackered after your journey.

Ben Casey
26-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Ditto Ben and Ken. T^Hope you weren't too knackered after your journey.

It was worth the drive mate I just wish we could have stayed and not come back LOL

Adam Savage
26-04-2011, 12:07 PM
If you liked the RV, you'll love Lud Gate (Ivan's) lol

Ben Casey
26-04-2011, 09:04 PM
If you liked the RV, you'll love Lud Gate (Ivan's) lol

Hi Mate see my other post if I can wangle it i will do an extended stay at Ivans :D Fancy living in the wilds for a month or more. Would you fancy it would be a good laugh and we could work out a live feed from there to the forum :D

Adam Savage
26-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Sounds like a plan, could do with Bushwacker there to supply the fresh meat, I could brush up on the wild edibles, and we can send Ivan to the shop to get the beers LOL

Ben Casey
26-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Sounds like a plan, could do with Bushwacker there to supply the fresh meat, I could brush up on the wild edibles, and we can send Ivan to the shop to get the beers LOL

Defo a plan then mate :)

Adam Savage
26-04-2011, 09:37 PM
hope you remembered to keep the sap wood on the back edge...lol

jus_young
26-04-2011, 09:38 PM

And don't forget that the back is the front and the belly is the back... :confused2:

Adam Savage
26-04-2011, 09:39 PM
And don't forget that the back is the front and the belly is the back... :confused2:

What he said...LOL

Ben Casey
26-04-2011, 09:42 PM

I must have missed that bit when I went for my knife LOL

Adam Savage
26-04-2011, 09:46 PM
If it doesn't have the sap wood, it can break easily. just gives it a little flex and a safety device, kind of.

Ben Casey
26-04-2011, 09:48 PM
If it doesn't have the sap wood, it can break easily. just gives it a little flex and a safety device, kind of.

Oh well it hasnt snapped yet and when I shoot it the arrow stuck in the target :)

Adam Savage
26-04-2011, 09:52 PM
that's all that matters then. Not like you're going to war with the orks and goblins. And back to the thread. I take it they had a bow making demonstration at the RV?

Ben Casey
26-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Yeah it was cool it was on the Saturday Dave Budd done knife sharpening on the Sunday but I sort of missed it as I went and made a cup of tea :( But I watched some of the guys doing it and got a better idea of how to do it :) Im going to drop Dave a PM as I want to get some stuff from him he had some cool stuff there alas funds where a bit tight :)

Roadkillphil
26-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Yeah it was cool it was on the Saturday Dave Budd done knife sharpening on the Sunday but I sort of missed it as I went and made a cup of tea :( But I watched some of the guys doing it and got a better idea of how to do it :) Im going to drop Dave a PM as I want to get some stuff from him he had some cool stuff there alas funds where a bit tight :)

I couldn't keep away from Daves forge, he did indeed have some cool stuff and I too had a lack of funds so settled for a steel chilli for now. I spent most of the RV watchin he beat metal!
I cant use my bow until it's seasoned, gonna do some more work on he too.

Best thing about the RV though, was the laid back easy atmosphere and the friendly people, all learning and sharing knowledge and skills, and the gracious manner in which it was given and received.

All the best

phil

Ben Casey
26-04-2011, 10:09 PM
I couldn't keep away from Daves forge, he did indeed have some cool stuff and I too had a lack of funds so settled for a steel chilli for now. I spent most of the RV watchin he beat metal!
I cant use my bow until it's seasoned, gonna do some more work on he too.

Best thing about the RV though, was the laid back easy atmosphere and the friendly people, all learning and sharing knowledge and skills, and the gracious manner in which it was given and received.

All the best

phil

Well said Phil it was nice to meet you and your family there :)

Adam Savage
26-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Wish I could have stayed for the whole weekend

Ashley Cawley
27-04-2011, 01:03 PM
It was a pleasure meeting all you guys & girls! I met sooo many new people, great to put names to faces & aliases. And great to see old friends too.

This was our camp which over 3 days had many people come by to say hello & have a brew :o ...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_GaOWopstwrQ/TbSTdGah5RI/AAAAAAAADmg/L_lnNOsL3wU/s640/IMG_6235.JPG

I really enjoyed learning how to use the Pole Lathe thanks to JonnyP, here he is on his lathe...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_GaOWopstwrQ/TbgCqsuKdRI/AAAAAAAADpM/ANPXRgi43XI/s640/100_3055.JPG

Here is me using my new draw-knife gifted to me by Ben Casey...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_GaOWopstwrQ/TbgCRNpURfI/AAAAAAAADo8/mCbV4RirIzk/s640/100_3054.JPG

Me using the pole lathe & Scott using the shave-horse...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_GaOWopstwrQ/TbgCUAWFEKI/AAAAAAAADpE/GLU9z13TpOk/s640/100_3081.JPG
(Photo taken by my younger brother Joe aged 10!)

I made a Priest & Scott made a candle stick holder...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_GaOWopstwrQ/TbSTWtn1LCI/AAAAAAAADmI/TDpXrqddkXM/s640/IMG_6230.JPG

Thanks again to JonnyP for the tuition, was the first time I've turned wood and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

More photos of the event can be found at https://picasaweb.google.com/NaturalBushcraft/CornwallRV2011#

Fletching
27-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Top photos mate. Sorry I missed all the fun.

Adam Savage
27-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Looks like I missed all the best bits. Next year....next year....

Ben Casey
27-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Hi all a pic of me at the RV looking rough LOL Not to bad being as I hadnt had a drink :)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5270/5661800620_b112dcc52c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/60757769@N03/5661800620/)

Me and my new bow :)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5267/5661231801_5a0e05880c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/60757769@N03/5661231801/)

Nearly stealth :)

Adam Savage
27-04-2011, 05:37 PM
One of Robin hoods not so merry men LOL

Ben Casey
27-04-2011, 05:46 PM
One of Robin hoods not so merry men LOL

Cheers mate I will be of hunting food on ourt next meet and robbing the rich to give to ermmmmmmm us the poor :D

Adam Savage
27-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Cheers mate I will be of hunting food on ourt next meet and robbing the rich to give to ermmmmmmm us the poor :D

I'll be looking forward to it haha, Least you had a great time at the RV and learnt a few things.

harryhawk
27-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Aye, it was a class weekend spent with top people.:happy-clapping:Thanks to all the Footsteps team, Leon and Neil, Dave Budd, Tris and not forgetting the great Cornish hospitality.T^ Thanks again all. Harry & Ben.