PDA

View Full Version : Tick Bite Prevention Week

saddie
21-02-2012, 10:58 AM
It’s that time of year again folks! Ticks will soon be active so read on to find out how to stay protected!

Ticks can carry harmful infections that can be transmitted to humans. It is estimated that each year around 3,000 people in the UK contract Lyme disease (Borreliosis) from a tick bite.

If you take part in outdoor activities or simply enjoy being in the countryside, or parks and gardens where wildlife is present, you may be at risk from tick bites. In fact, research from the School of Biological Sciences, University of Bristol, published in January 2012, suggests that the prevalence of Lyme disease bacteria in the UK tick population is considerably higher than most recent estimates indicated.

Tick Bite Prevention Week, supported by Mosi-guard Natural™, runs from 26 March-1 April 2012, and is an annual programme that helps promote awareness of tick-borne diseases and effective tick-bite prevention for at-risk groups, including pet owners and their animals.

Don't panic but be 'Tick Aware'!

Simple precautions can help to keep you safe. The campaign's Patron, Bushcraft and Survival expert Ray Mears, shares his Top Tips that can be taken to help prevent ticks from biting people and pets.

The great outdoors is there to be enjoyed, so make sure you visit www.tickbitepreventionweek.org for lots of useful information and advice.

Ashley Cawley
21-02-2012, 11:31 AM
- Ray's Top Tips on Ticks (http://www.tickbitepreventionweek.org/downloads/RayMearstopTips.pdf)

I've been lucky enough to avoid ticks, anyone been bitten? :confused2:

AdrianRose
21-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the timely reminder. Last year I got a total of 7 of the little buggers after 3 weekend trips.

Need to dig out my tick tool.

Ade.

AdrianRose
21-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Forgot to mention that on one of the occasions I was wearing long woollen socks, jackpyke countryman boots and gaiters!! And they still got through!!

Ade.

comanighttrain
21-02-2012, 12:25 PM
pfff....deer populated areas i camp in...caught about 5 on one weekender at Dalmally

Dan XF
21-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Not sure if it was a tick but myself and the wife got bitten on holiday in the Lakes a few years back. We were staying in a converted barn and had chickens in the garden which we would feed and cattle in a paddock at the bottom of the garden. We would go to the fence and call them over for a stroke on the ears. At the end of the holiday I had a few bite marks on my limbs and an annoying recurrant headache and muscle stiffness that would come and go. I eventually started with a fever and ended up with a stay in resus with a cardiac rhythm called ventricular standstill and PVCs (over to you Phil and Sapper). After this my wife ended up with the same bite marks and she got the headache and fever but with infective arthritis in her joints. It got so bad she called me back from work and I ended up giving her IV morphine just so she could get out of bed to go to the bathroom. I don't know what it was but neither of us ever want it again. If it was from ticks then I've not had it since as I am extra careful during warmer months and keep an eye out for them. My daughter had one on her ear last year but no illness following removal. Be aware and be safe.

Silverback
21-02-2012, 12:49 PM
PVCs

Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) are extra, abnormal heartbeats that begin in one of your heart's two lower pumping chambers (ventricles). These extra beats disrupt your regular heart rhythm, sometimes causing you to feel a flip-flop or skipped beat in your chest. Premature ventricular contractions are very common — they occur in most people at some point. If you have occasional premature ventricular contractions, but you're an otherwise healthy person, there's generally no reason for concern, and no treatment is needed. If you have frequent premature ventricular contractions or underlying heart disease, you may need treatment to help you feel better and treat underlying heart problems.

We are riddled with ticks here in the Peak, my dog normally picks them up (even when treated which I do every spring to autumn), as far as Im aware I have never been bitten. Maybe its because i generally wear gaiters (boggy in the Dark Peak) We have had a couple of MR bods up here go down with Lymes and we are particularly watchful for the signs and symptoms.

Ben Casey
21-02-2012, 02:36 PM
I never look :D I had some black things on me last year in the peaks tho still dont know what they are tho :D

paulthefish2009
21-02-2012, 03:15 PM
I never look :D I had some black things on me last year in the peaks tho still dont know what they are tho :D
And I must be stupid because i never thought they were such a problem,always more aware of rat urine in the water and all the problems that can bring. Paul

Ben Casey
21-02-2012, 05:17 PM
I know they where bad (Ticks) in Germany my son had a few but I never seem to get hem maybe Im just lucky or they dont like my blood :)

jus_young
21-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Unfortunately one of my memories of the Wilderness Gathering last year was waking up at home the morning after our return and finding a nice big fat tick in my bed. It was shortly after that that I started getting ill. Not pleasent and apparently Wiltshire is a hot spot for them so will definately be taking extra precautions this year if we go again.

saddie
22-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Not sure if it was a tick but myself and the wife got bitten on holiday in the Lakes a few years back. We were staying in a converted barn and had chickens in the garden which we would feed and cattle in a paddock at the bottom of the garden. We would go to the fence and call them over for a stroke on the ears. At the end of the holiday I had a few bite marks on my limbs and an annoying recurrant headache and muscle stiffness that would come and go. I eventually started with a fever and ended up with a stay in resus with a cardiac rhythm called ventricular standstill and PVCs (over to you Phil and Sapper). After this my wife ended up with the same bite marks and she got the headache and fever but with infective arthritis in her joints. It got so bad she called me back from work and I ended up giving her IV morphine just so she could get out of bed to go to the bathroom. I don't know what it was but neither of us ever want it again. If it was from ticks then I've not had it since as I am extra careful during warmer months and keep an eye out for them. My daughter had one on her ear last year but no illness following removal. Be aware and be safe.

My days sounds like you have both been through hell. Were either of you checked for Lyme Disease? Have to say some of the things your describing sound, very Lyme like. Are you both better now? I really hope you never have to go through that again.

saddie
22-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Unfortunately one of my memories of the Wilderness Gathering last year was waking up at home the morning after our return and finding a nice big fat tick in my bed. It was shortly after that that I started getting ill. Not pleasent and apparently Wiltshire is a hot spot for them so will definately be taking extra precautions this year if we go again.

Not really what you want to find in your bed!! they are on the increase, and the numbers of Urban Lyme is on the increase too. Have you again been tested? Sounds like you should be. If you need any help and this goes for anyone please contact us on our website www.bada-uk.org and we will do what we can to help you.

saddie
22-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) are extra, abnormal heartbeats that begin in one of your heart's two lower pumping chambers (ventricles). These extra beats disrupt your regular heart rhythm, sometimes causing you to feel a flip-flop or skipped beat in your chest. Premature ventricular contractions are very common — they occur in most people at some point. If you have occasional premature ventricular contractions, but you're an otherwise healthy person, there's generally no reason for concern, and no treatment is needed. If you have frequent premature ventricular contractions or underlying heart disease, you may need treatment to help you feel better and treat underlying heart problems.

We are riddled with ticks here in the Peak, my dog normally picks them up (even when treated which I do every spring to autumn), as far as Im aware I have never been bitten. Maybe its because i generally wear gaiters (boggy in the Dark Peak) We have had a couple of MR bods up here go down with Lymes and we are particularly watchful for the signs and symptoms.

Have you tried Advantix on your dog, it is a repellent. Unlike most spot ons it repels and the ticks don't need to attach and feed before being poisoned. There are also natural repellents you could try Calendula Oil, you can use that one too, Flea or Die shampoo and Billy no mates herbal powder. All apart from the later can be purchased on our website www.bada-uk.org I have 5 working dogs so always picking ticks off them, even when you think you have checked everywhere you can still miss the blighters.

saddie
22-02-2012, 01:48 PM
I know they where bad (Ticks) in Germany my son had a few but I never seem to get hem maybe Im just lucky or they dont like my blood :)

Some people are total tick magnets, my husband being one of them! What ticks check of is 1: the amount of CO2 your emitting (sounds like an mot check..lol) 2: what your temperature is and 3:what level of pheromones you have...simples...

jus_young
22-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Tests initially negative and have not been back for this since. Been a bit of a walking medical case for a while now so this kind of got forgotten about until this thread came up.

Silverback
22-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Have you tried Advantix on your dog, it is a repellent. Unlike most spot ons it repels and the ticks don't need to attach and feed before being poisoned. There are also natural repellents you could try Calendula Oil, you can use that one too, Flea or Die shampoo and Billy no mates herbal powder. All apart from the later can be purchased on our website www.bada-uk.org I have 5 working dogs so always picking ticks off them, even when you think you have checked everywhere you can still miss the blighters.

Nope, I get my spot on provided for me FOC from a local vet who sponsors our organisation. They supply us with wormer and innoculations too also FOC. Good job really as its a very costly 'hobby' we have.

Ben Casey
22-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Some people are total tick magnets, my husband being one of them! What ticks check of is 1: the amount of CO2 your emitting (sounds like an mot check..lol) 2: what your temperature is and 3:what level of pheromones you have...simples...

I smoke a lot so that may keep them away and most say I'm a cold blooded so and so and I dont seem to attract any women so the last one must be low so I must be on to a winner with not getting ticks :D
Mind you I did go have a look at the link you put up as after reading the thread it has a lot of info on things I never really thought about.

cuppa joe
22-02-2012, 10:35 PM
I always carry a pen just in case....

Tony1948
23-02-2012, 12:12 AM
I ad one in Germany on a NATO jalant in the 70tis but I dont think I ad me boots off for two weeks,the thing was the size of a pea.:ashamed:

saddie
23-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Tests initially negative and have not been back for this since. Been a bit of a walking medical case for a while now so this kind of got forgotten about until this thread came up.

The problem with the blood test is it can come back with false negatives and false positives, it is not reliable. If you feel it could be Lyme please contact us, we help people get the right information to Dr's and offer support.

saddie
23-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Nope, I get my spot on provided for me FOC from a local vet who sponsors our organisation. They supply us with wormer and innoculations too also FOC. Good job really as its a very costly 'hobby' we have.

Lucky you..T^ when you have multiple dogs it sure turns expensive.

saddie
23-02-2012, 11:15 AM
I smoke a lot so that may keep them away and most say I'm a cold blooded so and so and I dont seem to attract any women so the last one must be low so I must be on to a winner with not getting ticks :D
Mind you I did go have a look at the link you put up as after reading the thread it has a lot of info on things I never really thought about.

Glad you had a look through it. :D

saddie
23-02-2012, 11:16 AM
I always carry a pen just in case....

What kind of pen? sorry just being really nosey......:wink:

saddie
23-02-2012, 11:17 AM
I ad one in Germany on a NATO jalant in the 70tis but I dont think I ad me boots off for two weeks,the thing was the size of a pea.:ashamed:

Sounds like it had a right old feed off you!! Have you been ill since, had any rashes etc?

cuppa joe
23-02-2012, 02:27 PM
one that I can draw a line through the tick with thus creating a cross like this x....I don't mind crosses
What kind of pen? sorry just being really nosey......:wink:

Silverback
23-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Lucky you..T^ when you have multiple dogs it sure turns expensive.

Trust me we earn it, many lives saved and many people found.

saddie
23-02-2012, 04:36 PM
one that I can draw a line through the tick with thus creating a cross like this x....I don't mind crosses

think I must be having a particularly dumb day:confused2:...really don't understand why you would put a x on a tick....sorry my brain is smush just now, not enough hours in the day...:ashamed: could you explain it a bit more to me??.

saddie
23-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Trust me we earn it, many lives saved and many people found.

Glad you get something for all the rescues you do, are you called out often?

cuppa joe
23-02-2012, 05:38 PM
think I must be having a particularly dumb day:confused2:...really don't understand why you would put a x on a tick....sorry my brain is smush just now, not enough hours in the day...:ashamed: could you explain it a bit more to me??.
It's a joke ...tick ...cross....lol.

cuppa joe
23-02-2012, 05:40 PM
It's a joke ...tick ...cross....lol. what I mean is if you have tick then use a pen and draw a line through it ...you have a cross....a play on words.

Martin
23-02-2012, 06:13 PM
what I mean is if you have tick then use a pen and draw a line through it ...you have a cross....a play on words.

If you've got to explain it.... ;)

Martin

Roadkillphil
23-02-2012, 07:08 PM
I had a tick latch onto my leg in Kenya... Against my better knowledge, I thought I'd be a real man and stub out a cigarette on it to remove it. It just bit down harder and I burnt my leg! So I got some vas and smothered he, just like I'd been taught on the EH module for my medical training... It worked, fagbutt didn't. :)

saddie
23-02-2012, 08:30 PM
It's a joke ...tick ...cross....lol.

spot the person who is spending most of the day and evening on different forums answering questions on Ticks!!!!:happy-clapping::happy-clapping::happy-clapping::happy-clapping::happy-clapping::happy-clapping::happy-clapping::happy-clapping::happy-clapping::happy-clapping: Ah brilliant you have just given my a laugh I needed.....

saddie
23-02-2012, 08:31 PM

Martin

Yeah yeah...just mock the tick overloaded person......:ashamed::ashamed::happy-clapping::happy-clapping:

saddie
23-02-2012, 08:33 PM
I had a tick latch onto my leg in Kenya... Against my better knowledge, I thought I'd be a real man and stub out a cigarette on it to remove it. It just bit down harder and I burnt my leg! So I got some vas and smothered he, just like I'd been taught on the EH module for my medical training... It worked, fagbutt didn't. :)

Oooowww that sounds rather sore.....at least now you know to use a tick twister not vaseline..or indeedy a cigarette....have you had any health problems since then?

Roadkillphil
23-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Oooowww that sounds rather sore.....at least now you know to use a tick twister not vaseline..or indeedy a cigarette....have you had any health problems since then?

That was 12 years ago, but I don't think I had any health problems related to the tick. I'm rarely ill, most of my health issues are injuries brought about by the poorly designed human body... Silicon skin, titanium bones and fatigue resistant muscle fibres would have been a better choice of materials. Maybe a couple of extra arms too...

To get back on topic, I've never encountered ticks in the uk

Juanodaxis
23-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Never had them, but I just learned a big deal about them and how to deal with them thanks to your links. I just ordered a tick remover.

cuppa joe
24-02-2012, 07:41 AM
Yeah yeah...just mock the tick overloaded person......:ashamed::ashamed::happy-clapping::happy-clapping:
Ive made the same joke twice...Saddie are you having a go at me ?...Have I offended you in some way ?....If so it is clearly not my intention as I have never spoken with you before so please If my comments do offend feel free not to read them.

cuppa joe
24-02-2012, 07:44 AM

Martin
I'm not known the quality of my jokes ha ha.

Roadkillphil
24-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Woah boys!! Some posts are probably best saved for PMs. The written word can be very easily misinterpreted and it's easy to get the wrong end of the stick sometimes.

Let's be nice ;)

Cheers

Phil

cuppa joe
24-02-2012, 11:35 AM
You're right Phil...I just feel like I've been bitten by a Tick.....Pardon the pun .

saddie
24-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Ive made the same joke twice...Saddie are you having a go at me ?...Have I offended you in some way ?....If so it is clearly not my intention as I have never spoken with you before so please If my comments do offend feel free not to read them.

Oh god no you haven't offended me at all, and hope I haven't offended you? I replied to your first post, then saw your second one...I was purely having a laugh at how thick I was being....with our TBPW coming up, we are really busy, so brain is just smushed.....but as said the written word can be read differently to how it was meant.....trust me I was in stiches with your joke, I passed it on to my husband and son, who just mocked me for being such a div for not getting it first time......:ashamed: hope this clears it up.....

saddie
24-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Woah boys!! Some posts are probably best saved for PMs. The written word can be very easily misinterpreted and it's easy to get the wrong end of the stick sometimes.

Let's be nice ;)

Cheers

Phil

No worries here Phil, just my sarcasm may have not transferred properly to the post. I love a good joke, just my brain was is tick info mode..and missed it...if anything I was miffed at myself for not getting it....usually I'm rather sharp:oops:.....but I will be passing it on to others in the charity....If I've caused issues I apologise....

Glad also that you have had no issues since being bitten.

saddie
24-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Here is a link to some of our antics at one of the shows we went too.......we arrived on Sunday morning, no other fowk were at the show...so there was nothing else for it.................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gm6gh_ZRKs

saddie
06-03-2012, 12:52 PM
If any of you guys are in groups or organisations that could use tick information, please contact our press office and we can send out leaflets, we have human and animal ones....we were lucky to get funding allowing us to be able to send out our literature without having to charge for p&p......are any of you going to the Outdoor Pursuits Show in Edinburgh? If you are please come along and say hello....T^

happybonzo
21-03-2012, 06:17 AM
Here's a really good video of tick removal. I wasn't sure how to use the O'tom Tick thingys until I watched it

It seems that covering the Tick with Vaseline, toothpaste or whatever in to the wat to do it - posts on UK Campsites (http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=37&TopicID=250546&PagePosition=1&ThreadPage=2&ReturnPage=Search&search=&searchIn=)

Here's the proper way to do it
Video linky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnD6x0svOJE&context=C4865e05ADvjVQa1PpcFN9nDW8BSEXOXNFsNDiLJkI eBOGsRCtij0=)

saddie
21-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Here's a really good video of tick removal. I wasn't sure how to use the O'tom Tick thingys until I watched it

It seems that covering the Tick with Vaseline, toothpaste or whatever in to the wat to do it - posts on UK Campsites (http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=37&TopicID=250546&PagePosition=1&ThreadPage=2&ReturnPage=Search&search=&searchIn=)

Here's the proper way to do it
Video linky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnD6x0svOJE&context=C4865e05ADvjVQa1PpcFN9nDW8BSEXOXNFsNDiLJkI eBOGsRCtij0=)

Thanks for bringing that horrendous post to my attention. I have gone on the site and...well explained the error of the posters ways.....:confused2: Brilliant to know that your using your O'Tom twister and NOT vaseline...if these fowk did a bit of research they would realise that ticks only breath once an hour..so no way your gonna smother them! Thanks again

Hushwing
22-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Used to work over at Loch Lomond and the Trossachs, and they sampled the ticks and found that 1 in 5 was a potential Lyme Disease carrier. As Rangers we tried several tick removers and the O'Tom twister beat them hands down. We were always told that however you remove them (ie by hand or by a tick remover) you are best to twist them in an ANTI-clockwise direction because the majority of ticks 'screw' themselves in clockwise. Don't if true but again always works. Have seen footage of a tick biting and it does twist or 'screw' itself in, so straight pulling out isn't the best method. The following weblink may also be of use: http://www.tickbitepreventionweek.org/tick-removal.html. It is pretty important to try and stop them biting in the first place but also to check yourself over after each trip out. More so look for the bullseye rash and don't assume doctors know about Lyme Disease - very few do, in our experience (one of our volunteers had to make the suggestion before it was even considered and he did have early stages of it - luckily treatable by antibiotics).

saddie
23-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Used to work over at Loch Lomond and the Trossachs, and they sampled the ticks and found that 1 in 5 was a potential Lyme Disease carrier. As Rangers we tried several tick removers and the O'Tom twister beat them hands down. We were always told that however you remove them (ie by hand or by a tick remover) you are best to twist them in an ANTI-clockwise direction because the majority of ticks 'screw' themselves in clockwise. Don't if true but again always works. Have seen footage of a tick biting and it does twist or 'screw' itself in, so straight pulling out isn't the best method. The following weblink may also be of use: http://www.tickbitepreventionweek.org/tick-removal.html. It is pretty important to try and stop them biting in the first place but also to check yourself over after each trip out. More so look for the bullseye rash and don't assume doctors know about Lyme Disease - very few do, in our experience (one of our volunteers had to make the suggestion before it was even considered and he did have early stages of it - luckily treatable by antibiotics).

The number of infected ticks was indeed 1 in 5 a few years ago, but has risen to now 1 in 3....The O'Tom Tick Twister is the best and easiest way to remove a tick, it doesn't matter which way you turn it, so long as you keep going the same way. The mouth parts of the tick has barbs, it looks like an upside down xmas tree. The barbs are what can get stuck in the host if not removed properly. Also their saliva works as a cement to hold the mouth parts in place. Ticks saliva melts the flesh which creates a hole for the mouth parts to go into.
The only definative sign that a person has Lyme is the "Bullseye" rash...but as you say most Dr's don't know as much as they maybe should about Lyme. Only 50% of people infected with Lyme get a rash of any description, so best to look out for the flu symptoms and exhaustion. Also if you remove a tick, put in between two bits of cellotape and mark the date on the calendar..keep an eye on yourself for 6 weeks as it can take a while for symptoms to appear. If caught early it is so treatable...that is why we do what we do...trying to reach as many fowk as we can to raise awareness about ticks and Lyme disease.

Hushwing
23-03-2012, 02:33 PM
The number of infected ticks was indeed 1 in 5 a few years ago, but has risen to now 1 in 3....The O'Tom Tick Twister is the best and easiest way to remove a tick, it doesn't matter which way you turn it, so long as you keep going the same way. The mouth parts of the tick has barbs, it looks like an upside down xmas tree. The barbs are what can get stuck in the host if not removed properly. Also their saliva works as a cement to hold the mouth parts in place. Ticks saliva melts the flesh which creates a hole for the mouth parts to go into.
The only definative sign that a person has Lyme is the "Bullseye" rash...but as you say most Dr's don't know as much as they maybe should about Lyme. Only 50% of people infected with Lyme get a rash of any description, so best to look out for the flu symptoms and exhaustion. Also if you remove a tick, put in between two bits of cellotape and mark the date on the calendar..keep an eye on yourself for 6 weeks as it can take a while for symptoms to appear. If caught early it is so treatable...that is why we do what we do...trying to reach as many fowk as we can to raise awareness about ticks and Lyme disease.

Thanks for the update info - will spread the news further! 1 in 3 eh? wow! cheers >H

BushcraftCambsUk
24-03-2012, 05:29 AM
A friend of mine sat in a whole nest of them while in the Lakes and ended up with 11 of the little bliters in his back and buttocks that was fun helping him get them out in a camp site shower cubical. The looks from the guys stood outside the cubical brushing their teeth were priceless when we exited together. On a personal note i do not suggest using tweezers.

saddie
26-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Glad could give you some extra info Hushwing...and goodness knows what will happen now there is the Asulam ban is in place!

saddie
26-03-2012, 09:27 AM
A friend of mine sat in a whole nest of them while in the Lakes and ended up with 11 of the little bliters in his back and buttocks that was fun helping him get them out in a camp site shower cubical. The looks from the guys stood outside the cubical brushing their teeth were priceless when we exited together. On a personal note i do not suggest using tweezers.

Brilliant can just imagine the faces........we had one of the organisers at the Bushcraft Show who ended up with a tick on his leg around his sock line....he was so shocked that he told his son in no uncertain terms that they would check each others "hairy arses" tonight!!!!! Mind you that show had the most tick on fowk we have seen! Glad to hear you don't suggest tweezers.....O'Tom Tick Twister is so much easier and much safer.......

There are going to be questions on our Facebook and Twitter pages from Mon-Fri where you can win Tick Twisters......please have a look....and you might win something

BushcraftCambsUk
26-03-2012, 10:39 AM
When a tick bites it burrys its head inside the skin and breaths brough its back. If you get something like olive oil and rub it on the exposed part of the tick it will pull its head out to breath then you can remove it safely without the risk of leaving its head in. Just a little suggestion incase anyone is cort short and is smart enough not to use tweezers unlike me lol.

saddie
26-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Sorry but you really should never put anything on a tick. The only part of the tick that enters the host is the mouth parts. By putting oil on them the tick will feel threatened and it's defence mechanism is to regurgitate it's gut contents into the host. A tick carries bacteria in their guts, for example Lyme Disease. It is safer for you to wait till you can remove the tick safely than to remove it incorrectly. You won't smother the tick, as they only breath once an hour. The O'Tom tick twister has been proven to be the safest tool to use. If you look at the top of the handle of it, there is a raised oval of plastic, if you have a dremmel drill you can make a hole in that part and attach the tools to your keys to they are always with you. You can use very fine nosed tweezers if you have them, not the kind your wife/girlfriend etc uses for their eyebrows...and hold it as close to the skin as possible and pull straight upwards, not twisting...sometimes using this method you can leave some of the barbs off the mouth parts behind. So just keep an eye on the bite site in case it become infected. I have attached a link showing how to safely remove a tick. My husband removed 100's of tick the wrong way over his life and ended up getting Lyme Disease, but it took 10 years to diagnose. I wouldn't wish this on any one.....

http://www.tickbitepreventionweek.org/tick-removal.html

BushcraftCambsUk
26-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Sorry but you really should never put anything on a tick. The only part of the tick that enters the host is the mouth parts. By putting oil on them the tick will feel threatened and it's defence mechanism is to regurgitate it's gut contents into the host. A tick carries bacteria in their guts, for example Lyme Disease. It is safer for you to wait till you can remove the tick safely than to remove it incorrectly. You won't smother the tick, as they only breath once an hour. The O'Tom tick twister has been proven to be the safest tool to use. If you look at the top of the handle of it, there is a raised oval of plastic, if you have a dremmel drill you can make a hole in that part and attach the tools to your keys to they are always with you. You can use very fine nosed tweezers if you have them, not the kind your wife/girlfriend etc uses for their eyebrows...and hold it as close to the skin as possible and pull straight upwards, not twisting...sometimes using this method you can leave some of the barbs off the mouth parts behind. So just keep an eye on the bite site in case it become infected. I have attached a link showing how to safely remove a tick. My husband removed 100's of tick the wrong way over his life and ended up getting Lyme Disease, but it took 10 years to diagnose. I wouldn't wish this on any one.....

http://www.tickbitepreventionweek.org/tick-removal.html

Thank you for that. It was a peice of misinformation i was given and assured that it was a good methord thank god i never had an oportunity to use it i would not have been happy to find that it was actually more harmful.

Cheers again Saddie

saddie
26-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Your more than welcome, sometimes it can be hard telling fowk what they have been told is not correct....I am glad you didn't take offence...:)

BushcraftCambsUk
26-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Your more than welcome, sometimes it can be hard telling fowk what they have been told is not correct....I am glad you didn't take offence...:)

Never take offence mate after all it is a FORUM a place to share ideas and knowledge that is what im here for! :D

saddie
26-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Never take offence mate after all it is a FORUM a place to share ideas and knowledge that is what im here for! :D

T^

jus_young
26-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Damned cat came in tonight with a not so nice, big, fat, juicy, ugly tick on its back. The wife went all funny so out came the tick tweezers for the first time. Ticks make a funny popping sound when you put a lighter to them :D

Edit - just had a thought, the only place he goes is in the back garden! That is not a comforting thought but goes to show that these suckers are never far away.

saddie
29-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Wherever there is wildlife you will find ticks.....a lot of people still think you only find them hiking in the Highlands of Scotland......far from it...There is a plan that shows you how you can try and limit the amount of ticks coming into your garden, on our website (I will put a link at the bottom) but nothing is full proof. For example a tick attaches to a bird, has it's blood meal. Then it retracts and falls off....so wherever that bird is that is where the tick will fall....that why awareness is so important...but it should never ever stop you enjoying the great outdoors....

http://www.bada-uk.org/defence/control/domestic/domesticenvironment.php

saddie
30-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Xeroshield are doing a online questionnaire about ticks and Lyme disease, the information gathered from this will be shared with BADA-UK so will be of great benefit to us....if you live in Scotland and can spare a few minutes to fill it in that would be great...

On the subject of ticks and Lyme disease, you may be interested to know that a leading Scottish life sciences company called Xeroshield is currently looking for members of the public who live and/or work in Scotland to take five minutes to fill out a simple online survey as part of a major new study.

Xeroshield is exploring the development of a device to remove ticks from humans and pets, combined with a laboratory service for the detection of Lyme disease in ticks collected and immobilised using this device. The study is designed to assess the potential market for such a product and service. But it is also expected to generate valuable data about general awareness of ticks and Lyme disease in Scotland.

The survey asks a series of very straightforward questions about people’s own experience of ticks and Lyme disease in Scotland. Xeroshield is keen to hear from anyone who spends long periods of time outdoors for work or leisure and is therefore at higher risk of being bitten by ticks.

At a later stage, Xeroshield also plans to carry out more detailed interviews and focus groups and would be particularly interested to hear from anyone willing to participate in these later this year.

If you live and/or work in Scotland, would like to find out more about this project, and to complete the ticks and Lyme disease survey online, please visit: xerolyme.wordpress.com

Hushwing
07-04-2012, 12:28 AM
Was in Tiso's minding my own business when spotted a tick testing kit that you can buy - it doesn't ask them awkward maths questions - it supposedly tells you whether the tick is a Lyme Disease carrier (for the squeamish out there it does involve macerating it in a test tube type thing). Not sure whether this is a good thing or not, as it could scare the bejeezuz out of those not used to ticks, because it doesn't tell you if YOU've got Lyme D. Like a hypochondriac looking at a medical dictionary and seeing all the symptoms and diseases he's got!! After Saddie's good info - I think asume that you might have a carrier and look for telltale signs (or better still prevent the tick sitting on/biting you in the first place with clothing etc.). Not going to buy it but am interested in what others think...

Martin
07-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Interesting piece on the BBC news yesterday morning about tics. They recommended that you use eyebrow tweezers to pull the tick out and said NOT to twist them. Don't you just love the BBC? They sound so authoritative but frequently get it so wrong. The sad thing is that people will listen to their bad advice and take it as gospel because the BBC said so!

Martin

saddie
10-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Yip wasn't the best article.....the tweezers were as you said normal eye brow ones....and if any they should be fine nosed ones, but you don't twist with tweezers only the tick twister. Also DO NOT remove with your fingers like was shown either.....they didn't help giving that information....