PDA

View Full Version : February Bushcraft Video

AdrianRose
20-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Hi folks

I've just completed my latest weekend bushcraft weekend camping trip for February. Luckily my wife is very understanding and "allows" me to go out every 4-6 weeks.

In this video I have responded to a couple of requests from the subscribers to my channel. The first is how to light a fire simply using "Scratched up" birch bark and the second is for an example of bushcraft cooking, so in this film I make Apple wood smoked Salmon on the campfire.

I hope that you enjoy it. Also a massive thank you to Ashley for all his technical advice on the new video editing software that I'm now using.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wBn4VYFhOo&list=UU43jQvQHRlmmz_qfXJVlgpQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Ade

dfxdave
20-02-2012, 12:32 PM
excellent vid enjoyed it that fish looked very nice too!

rossbird
20-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Another interesting vid Ade.
The smoked fish was well covered and made me want to try it, always a good sign.

Tony

Kernowek Scouser
20-02-2012, 03:13 PM
A very informative video Adrian T^

New ideas are now happily percolating through my mind :D

ian c
20-02-2012, 04:56 PM
That was very Good and now feeling hungry, anyway cheers for another video and hope to see alot more.

paulthefish2009
20-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Nice one mate,fish looked great.Paul

AdrianRose
20-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Thanks to one and all for your kind comments. The fish tasted amazing and trust me when I say that none of it went to waste!!

Although for some reason, my brain and mouth had a communication breakdown issue and I kept referring to the apple chippings as oak chippings !! Can you tell it's all unscripted lol.

Thanks again
Ade

klause
20-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Hi Adrian, Nice vid.... :happy-clapping:

Just Subscribed to your youtube channel, i'll let you know how i find your vids lol ;)

treefrog
20-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Really enjoyed your video, Adrian. Nice job with the fish. I've been so busy with work lately, the only way I get to enjoy bushcraft is watching videos like yours...
Regards,
Jack

Fletching
20-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Nice vid Ade.

T^

Steve :)

happybonzo
21-02-2012, 06:29 AM
Many thanks for sharing

Piggy
23-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Great vid Adrian!! Could you please tell me the brand of trousers you guys are wearing? Im looking for a new pair and they look a good bit of kit!

Cheers,Richard.

AdrianRose
23-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Great vid Adrian!! Could you please tell me the brand of trousers you guys are wearing? Im looking for a new pair and they look a good bit of kit!

Cheers,Richard.

Hi Richard.
The trousers that my mate Danny and myself use are called "Haglofs Rugged Mountain Pants". They are absolutely bomb proof. Reinforced stretch fabric on the knees, inner thighs, inner ankle and backside.

The material is ridiculously strong too. There are also vent zips in the back of the thighs in case you over heat when climbing, walking etc.

The downside is that they are roughly £100-£130 a pair!!

I earn minimum wage and work damn hard for my money but I refuse to buy cheap kit, there is just no point in replacing shoddy gear every couple of years because it has ripped.

Just think of all the bad press that craghoppers gets for the pants splitting.

I'm not sure what Jason (the big guy in the vid) is wearing.

Ade.

Piggy
23-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the info Ade! Think its time to save up they sound great! Just bought a karrimor sabre 75 pack so ill have to sweet talk the wife!!!!!
cheers Rich.

AdrianRose
23-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the info Ade! Think its time to save up they sound great! Just bought a karrimor sabre 75 pack so ill have to sweet talk the wife!!!!!
cheers Rich.

No worries buddy. I have been asked to do a review on them but at the moment I don't want to for two reasons. Firstly, I've got an amazing review on another "famous product" that's had an overhaul, can't say anything else at the moment. And I want to concentrate more on videoing basic bushcraft skills.

And secondly, I get a little concerned by folk doing constant product reviews on forums/YouTube etc. Not sure what they're motives are to be honest.

My mate Danny got his trousers for £30 cheaper than I paid (bugger!), if I get the website off him I'll message it to you for future use.

Ade.

Piggy
24-02-2012, 08:26 PM
No worries buddy. I have been asked to do a review on them but at the moment I don't want to for two reasons. Firstly, I've got an amazing review on another "famous product" that's had an overhaul, can't say anything else at the moment. And I want to concentrate more on videoing basic bushcraft skills.

And secondly, I get a little concerned by folk doing constant product reviews on forums/YouTube etc. Not sure what they're motives are to be honest.

My mate Danny got his trousers for £30 cheaper than I paid (bugger!), if I get the website off him I'll message it to you for future use.

Ade.

Nice one ade! I totaly agree about the revew thing!

Ken
27-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Great video!

Can you smoke the fish with any wood, or are there certain woods to avoid when smoking a fish, or any food in fact?

Ken

happybonzo
27-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Great video!
are there certain woods to avoid when smoking a fish, or any food in fact?

Yes, some are poisonous. Laurel, adn there are others, comes to mind. The smoke contains cyanide.

AdrianRose
27-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Great video!

Can you smoke the fish with any wood, or are there certain woods to avoid when smoking a fish, or any food in fact?

Ken

Excellent question Ken, as happybonzo said you can't use laurel. Another one to avoid is Yew due to the inherent toxicity.

I've used this smoking method with Apple and oak. Both were ok but the tannin in the oak left a very slight bitter taste (which some may like).

I'm debating trying maple and sycamore next time out.

Ade.

happybonzo
27-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Almond may be another one as almonds contain strychnine - good in the wood, init :)

Marvell
01-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Excellent question Ken, as happybonzo said you can't use laurel. Another one to avoid is Yew due to the inherent toxicity.

I think it would be safe to assume that the set of woods unsuitable for smoking at least contains the set unsuitable for making utensils; holly being another example.

I've used this smoking method with Apple and oak. Both were ok but the tannin in the oak left a very slight bitter taste (which some may like).

These and cherry are the only ones I've tried. I use this list as a starting point.

Woods Suitable for Smoking (http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/8.html)

I'm debating trying maple and sycamore next time out.

The above list cites Sycamore as unsuitable in the comments, together with Elm, but I'm not sure why in either case; it may simply be taste.

I really enjoyed the video by the way. Thanks for sharing.

I do have one comment on the idea of smoking muscles. The smoke temperature is likely to be around 75 to 85 degrees, which is low for killing bacteria even though the smoke itself will help reduce the amount of bacteria forming subsequently. Muscles are bivalves, which means they filter feed and bacteria can be a problem if they are not cooked fully (to a high enough temperature or for long enough). My suggestion is that they are steamed before lightly smoking in order to get all the bacteria sorted in advance since smoking for a very long time will cause them to become tough.