PDA

View Full Version : Snow Goose Kuksa...

Jon Mac
16-02-2012, 05:33 PM

Well now I've sharpened up my edge tools using the clay shale I found earlier this month I figured it might be a good idea to share some more Kuksa carving techniques.
I have recently added another edge tool to my arsenal, an adze.
Using the Adze will speed up my carving process, but I can still carve this kuksa using my hook knife only.

Full story at :- http://spooncarvingfirststeps.blogspot.com

bikebum1975
16-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Really lovely piece Mate

Jon Mac
17-02-2012, 06:57 AM
Thanks Bikebum...She's not too shabby eh ? ...Best wishes...J

Fletching
17-02-2012, 07:04 AM
Looks really nice, mate. How long did you season the wood for?

Steve :)

Jon Mac
17-02-2012, 07:10 AM
Glad you like her Steve... As you know, I always carve green, the wood will season as I carve, I will pop a light coating of oil on the carving to slow the drying process. She is in the kitchen at the moment, at the end of the week I'll give her another light oiling, then a final oiling in a few weeks. She'll be fine, no cracks, I've done it few times now...J;-)))

bikebum1975
17-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Thanks Bikebum...She's not too shabby eh ? ...Best wishes...J

Mate I can only hope someday to carve half as good as you do :)

thanks for the tip about oiling the wood in between carving it hadn't thought of that cheers Jim

Jon Mac
18-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Mate I can only hope someday to carve half as good as you do :)

thanks for the tip about oiling the wood in between carving it hadn't thought of that cheers Jim

My pleasure B.B...J

JonnyP
18-02-2012, 11:03 AM
looks lovely.. Any chance of a bigger photo..

Jon Mac
18-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Hi Johnny... I think you'll have to visit my blog if you want a bigger picture. 3847

Jon Mac
18-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Hi Johnny... I think you'll have to visit my blog if you want a bigger picture. 3847

This is as big a picture that this forum can cope with I think...?

Jon Mac
18-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Ah....! No....This is larger...Hows that...?
This is as big a picture that this forum can cope with I think...?

JonnyP
18-02-2012, 03:40 PM
That is beautiful carving. I can see the finer detailing in it now
I am not sure its called a Kuksa though. Isn't it called something else when it has two handles.. Dunno, I may be wrong..
I am liking the look of your other work too, and I love that photo at the top of your blog.. Contentment..

Jon Mac
18-02-2012, 03:53 PM
That is beautiful carving. I can see the finer detailing in it now
I am not sure its called a Kuksa though. Isn't it called something else when it has two handles.. Dunno, I may be wrong..
I am liking the look of your other work too, and I love that photo at the top of your blog.. Contentment..

Ah ! Good oh ! Yes well...Ale hen would cover it. I call them kuksa so search engines will find them. Most people search (kuksa) not (ale hen).
I will let Dolly know you like her photo. She lives with us in the house and has a basket under the kitchen table. She'll be pleased to know she has another fan...:happy-clapping:...J;-)

JonnyP
18-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Ah ! Good oh ! Yes well...Ale hen would cover it. I call them kuksa so search engines will find them. Most people search (kuksa) not (ale hen).
I will let Dolly know you like her photo. She lives with us in the house and has a basket under the kitchen table. She'll be pleased to know she has another fan...:happy-clapping:...J;-)
You made it, so you call it what you like chap :0)
Is the hen house trained at all..? I cannot imagine a chook using a litter tray. She looks like she would be a good mum. Does she go broody much..?

Jon Mac
18-02-2012, 04:30 PM
You made it, so you call it what you like chap :0)
Is the hen house trained at all..? I cannot imagine a chook using a litter tray. She looks like she would be a good mum. Does she go broody much..?

We show her eggs from the other hens from time to time but she's still not particularly interested in getting involved in the process. She hasn't laid for over two years. Shes a good pet though and sits with me quite happily when I'm carving. She isn't toilet trained but the floors downstairs are mainly tiled, just means I have to wipe up from time to time, she's no bother. Ok mate, back to work, I'm updating my blog with some health and safety data covering finishing oils. Life in the fast lane eh ? Happy days...J

JonnyP
18-02-2012, 10:55 PM
May I suggest it looks more like a Quaich.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaich

Jon Mac
19-02-2012, 06:38 AM
May I suggest it looks more like a Quaich.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaich

I'm writing this with a big smile on my face, so don't get me wrong...It's not a quaich. A genuine and proper quaick is made of staves much like a barrel. The things you see turned or made of silver are nasty English Victorian ideas of what a quaich should look like. The tradition this carving comes from is more Norwegian. A mead hen or ale hen. Coffee time ! Bottoms up my friend and may your roof never fall in...J

andy202wr
22-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Nice piece of work Jon, what oil do you use to stop the wood cracking. I have had a go at carving a Kuksa and the wood cracked, is this because it dried out to fast?

Jon Mac
22-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Yep ! Probably Andy. You need to carve in the green, and with some speed to reduce the bowl wall thickness. Have a look at my blog for the oil I use. You'll find coshh details as well...Cheers...J
Nice piece of work Jon, what oil do you use to stop the wood cracking. I have had a go at carving a Kuksa and the wood cracked, is this because it dried out to fast?

JonnyP
22-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Jon.. Do you have a Mole valley Farmers near you..? Raw (food grade) linseed oil can be bought there much cheaper than Liberon oils..
I guess any equestrian suppliers will sell it..

Jon Mac
23-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Jon.. Do you have a Mole valley Farmers near you..? Raw (food grade) linseed oil can be bought there much cheaper than Liberon oils..
I guess any equestrian suppliers will sell it..

Thanks for the heads up Jonny. I don't personally use Linseed in either of it's incarnations. I use Tung oil from http://www.liberon.co.uk/ . They are my suppliers and all their oil has COSHH data. Safer for me and you in the long run. By using one supplier I can guarantee the quality of the products I use...Cheers Jonny...J

JonnyP
23-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Sorry, I thought you did use Linseed oil as its listed on your blog under the Tung oil..
I too use tung oil, but only for toughening up certain woods. I find it way too expensive nowadays, and also, not everyone likes the smell and it can cause problems to people with nut allergies as its extracted from nuts.
I got the info on food grade linseed oil from Robin Wood. That what he uses. Its much less smelly and goes off like the tung oil does, though not so hard it seems.

rossbird
23-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Sorry, I thought you did use Linseed oil as its listed on your blog under the Tung oil..
I too use tung oil, but only for toughening up certain woods. I find it way too expensive nowadays, and also, not everyone likes the smell and it can cause problems to people with nut allergies as its extracted from nuts.
I got the info on food grade linseed oil from Robin Wood. That what he uses. Its much less smelly and goes off like the tung oil does, though not so hard it seems.

I see you don't mention Walnut oil Jonny, is there a reason?

Tony

Jon Mac
23-02-2012, 03:28 PM

Yes. He asked me about it some time ago. I also had a conversation with the nut allergy forum about this subject. They recommend Orange or Lemon oil. They gave me no other recommendation. No matter what oil I use I can not guarantee a nut free product.

HillBill
23-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Thats a nice looking bit of work mate. :)

Jon Mac
23-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Thats a nice looking bit of work mate. :)

Much obliged Hill Bill...J

JonnyP
23-02-2012, 04:58 PM
I see you don't mention Walnut oil Jonny, is there a reason?

Tony
Walnut oil is good to use. Its a clearer oil than linseed and tung. I find it expensive too though..

Yes. He asked me about it some time ago. I also had a conversation with the nut allergy forum about this subject. They recommend Orange or Lemon oil. They gave me no other recommendation. No matter what oil I use I can not guarantee a nut free product.

There is a forum about everything eh.. Does orange or lemon crystallise do you know..? I think one or two spoons and things treated in one or the other would be nice..

Jon Mac
23-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Walnut oil is good to use. Its a clearer oil than linseed and tung. I find it expensive too though..

There is a forum about everything eh.. Does orange or lemon crystallise do you know..? I think one or two spoons and things treated in one or the other would be nice..

Don't know if this link'll work...But here goes... http://chestnutproducts.co.uk/popup.php?ProductName=Lemon%20Oil