PDA

View Full Version : What type of Dog

Banleno007
13-02-2012, 01:02 PM
When out in the bush what type of dog do you bring with, or what would be your ultimate Bush Dog and why.http://www.frou.info/g.php

Tony1948
13-02-2012, 02:02 PM
A good collie-grayhound cross for intelligence and speed.The intelligence to put it's nose to the ground when it loses site of it's pray and the speed to catch it.I used one of them for years it was able to get most things I sent it after from shushi(rabbit)to dear,even soottis(sheep)it would act like a pointer when out with the popper(Gun) after pritty boys.A good allround mowching jukel is wot you need not to big,just big enuff so it can hold a dear or a sheep till you are able to get to it to disspatch it.Good huntting.....................DONT GET EATEN BY THE BEARS.........TONY.

Silverback
13-02-2012, 02:08 PM
I dont just have a dog.....I have a Border Collie. He isnt a bush dog, he is a Mountain Dog.

Cant hunt game or round up stock hes had that trained out of him, but he is very good at finding people. He is my friend, my partner, my defender and a proven live saver.

Dan XF
13-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Lost my blue eyed Alaskan Husky last December from cancer but he was my bush buddy. His sister is still with us but he was the really good hunter and used to disappear off then bark to warn me he was herding something back towards me. I'd hear the bark then a minute later a deer would run past, he'd appear a few seconds later and look at me as if I was mad for not killing it. I think the Queen would have something to say about that! I've seen him run up a tree to get a squirrel and even do vertical take off. He used to love pigeon, rook and even sparrow. Birds don't seem to expect a dog to launch straight up and take them off the wing. If we went out alone I never really used to see him as he was off in the woods hunting, but if I took the kids he was always in sight and would never let another person or dog near them. But in the house he always did exactly what my ginger tom told him to do. Great dog, looked and acted like a wolf but that was what I wanted of him. RIP Diefenbaker. AS for his sister, useless. She's lazy, greedy and doesn't seem in the slightest bit interested in protecting my kids. Scares the shit out of strangers when they knock at the door though so at least the house is relatively safe.

JonnyP
13-02-2012, 05:13 PM
A well trained Lurcher is what I would like..

rossbird
13-02-2012, 06:14 PM
A good Lurcher is hard to beat, haven't had one for many years.
Although as Wayne points out, any intelligent, well trained dog is a joy to be involved with.

Roadkillphil
13-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Our Two jack russels will shortly be moving on, I'm gonna miss them :( I used to work them with my ferrets, many moons ago and I miss my ferrets too :( Circumstances as they are means I'll see the doggies all the time, but they won't be living with me.
As and when I'm ready to get another dog, I will be getting an Australian Cattle Dog. Robust, a good size and an easy to maintain coat.... and bleddy ansum fellas too :D

paulthefish2009
13-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Jack russels for me too,my two are such characters,the dog loves other dogs but not too keen on kids,my bitch loves kids but hates other dogs and strangers.

Fletching
13-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Chihuaha/Alsation cross breed for me.

Roadkillphil
13-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Chihuaha/Alsation cross breed for me.
T^

Al21
13-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Long nosed, short legged, long tailed terrier for me! :)

Al

AdrianRose
13-02-2012, 10:28 PM
I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback. She cleverer than me and she knows it!

Superb family dog and is the most protective dog I have ever known. I was out with her and my daughter when a drunk guy started shouting across the other side of the street, Casey (the dog) immediately stood infront of my daughter and gave the drunk a birds eye view of teeth and attitude!

Ade.

rossbird
13-02-2012, 10:39 PM
I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback. She cleverer than me and she knows it!

Superb family dog and is the most protective dog I have ever known. I was out with her and my daughter when a drunk guy started shouting across the other side of the street, Casey (the dog) immediately stood infront of my daughter and gave the drunk a birds eye view of teeth and attitude!

Ade.
A sobering sight:rolleye:

jus_young
13-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Bordie Collie obtained free of charge from the local stables as a pup. Sadly died late last year and only six years old. Was being trained to work with my hawk until an attempted theft resulted in the death of the hawk and then change of work and the amount of free time really messed things up. That lovely mutt was loyal, gentle and obedient when it suited him but so protective of the kids, even butting in when play fighting. Good nose as well but damn he smelt bad! Miss that fella, its just not the same coming home and not tripping over him as I walk through the door.

rossbird
13-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Bordie Collie obtained free of charge from the local stables as a pup. Sadly died late last year and only six years old. Was being trained to work with my hawk until an attempted theft resulted in the death of the hawk and then change of work and the amount of free time really messed things up. That lovely mutt was loyal, gentle and obedient when it suited him but so protective of the kids, even butting in when play fighting. Good nose as well but damn he smelt bad! Miss that fella, its just not the same coming home and not tripping over him as I walk through the door.

For me, that is the biggest problem with a good dog.so hard when they bow owt.

Silverback
13-02-2012, 11:35 PM
We actually have 2 dogs. my collie was bought with the intention of training him to do the work he does, and does very well, although I am biased.

Our other dog is a GSD bitch. She joined the family because I promised my son that when I had sucessfully trained my Collie we would get another dog......however she has turned out to thoroughly enjoy working trials and working to the sleeve so she ended up being trained too !

I agree rossbird, I will be in bits when the time comes for both of them.

treefrog
14-02-2012, 12:55 AM
From what I've heard a border collie is by far the most intelligent breed. Having said that, the most intelligent dog I've personally seen is
a black lab owned by a hunting buddy of mine. It fetches beer by brand. Years ago we shot a bear and it swam across a pond towing the bear with a rope in
it's teeth. If I can get a copy of that video I'll post it.
As I mentioned in another post, a couple beagles belonging to a different hunting camp got torn up bad by a fisher. Got me thinking about exactly
which breeds of dog can hold their own against wild predators?

happybonzo
14-02-2012, 07:13 AM
I have an Australian Cattle Dog. He works well and he will drive deer towards me. I haven't tried him on Boar yet but have no doubt that he'd manage that
He's probably one of the strongest dogs I have owned and I've large GSDs and English Bull Terriers (Super Abraxis)
I've wanted one for 40 years but the circumstances have never been right to own one until now. He works Cattle pretty well but is not so good working sheep.
Feeding him can be a problem as he eats Floaters and Prawns and will only drink 4X

Roadkillphil
14-02-2012, 07:49 AM
Feeding him can be a problem as he eats Floaters and Prawns and will only drink 4X

:D Haha :D

Ansum dogs! I will be waiting for the time to be right too. My terriers are moving out with my wife and my current work wouldn't allow me to afford the time a dog needs. So I'm gonna have to wait till circumstances change and I can give my new dog the time and attention it needs.
I know it's not totally the same, but having both dogs and kids, I've come to realise that owning a dog carries many of the responsibilities as bringing up kids.

Cheers

Phil

happybonzo
14-02-2012, 07:53 AM
:D Haha :D

Ansum dogs! I will be waiting for the time to be right too. My terriers are moving out with my wife and my current work wouldn't allow me to afford the time a dog needs. So I'm gonna have to wait till circumstances change and I can give my new dog the time and attention it needs.
I know it's not totally the same, but having both dogs and kids, I've come to realise that owning a dog carries many of the responsibilities as bringing up kids.

Cheers

Phil

http://australiancattledogsociety.co.uk/

There's some very good, down to earth advice on the website about owning an ACD

Roadkillphil
14-02-2012, 08:02 AM
http://australiancattledogsociety.co.uk/

There's some very good, down to earth advice on the website about owning an ACD

Brilliant! Cheers Bud :D

Proventurer
14-02-2012, 08:36 AM
When out in the bush what type of dog do you bring with, or what would be your ultimate Bush Dog and why.http://www.frou.info/g.php

Always had dogs, that lived outside and had a tendacy to eat people, now my constant companion is a two year old (Chocolate Brown) Yorkshire Terrier called "Boycott" (well he is a Yorkie!) his hair is trimmed short, makes him very streamline, will grab small critters by the nape of the neck and with a quick couple of shakes, despatch them, all in the blink of an eye, he's very loyal and the best watch dog I've ever had!

nat110732
14-02-2012, 04:13 PM
only spinone!!;)

rossbird
14-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Always had dogs, that lived outside and had a tendacy to eat people, now my constant companion is a two year old (Chocolate Brown) Yorkshire Terrier called "Boycott" (well he is a Yorkie!) his hair is trimmed short, makes him very streamline, will grab small critters by the nape of the neck and with a quick couple of shakes, despatch them, all in the blink of an eye, he's very loyal and the best watch dog I've ever had!

brings to mind a story Brian Plummer told in, I think, Tales of a rat hunting man.
He new someone with a Yorkie, it was as good at ratting as most Jack Russells.

Fletching
14-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Original post from BCUK (verbatim):

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86397

Steve

Martin
14-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Original post from BCUK (verbatim):

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86397

Steve

It matters not now. Thanks to you and another eagle eyed member for bringing this to the attention of the moderating team though. We were discussing this last night but were waiting for more examples before taking decisive action.

Martin

Silverback
14-02-2012, 08:03 PM
It matters not now. Thanks to you and another eagle eyed member for bringing this to the attention of the moderating team though. We were discussing this last night but were waiting for more examples before taking decisive action.

Martin

Why would someone do it ? What is there to gain ?

Martin
14-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Why would someone do it ? What is there to gain ?

It's the internet Wayne.

Martin

Silverback
14-02-2012, 08:47 PM
It's the internet Wayne.

Martin

I think they need to get out a bit more to be honest Martin......oh well, bang to rights as they say. Well done on a rapid response.

AdrianRose
14-02-2012, 09:21 PM
?????
Ok so I'm confused. What have I missed?

Ade.

Roadkillphil
14-02-2012, 09:43 PM
?????
Ok so I'm confused. What have I missed?

Ade.

The Dude was copying and pasting other peoples posts from other Bushcraft forums onto here for some very bizarre reasons....

Tony1948
14-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Well I never, choke my toad

AdrianRose
14-02-2012, 11:07 PM
The Dude was copying and pasting other peoples posts from other Bushcraft forums onto here for some very bizarre reasons....

What the hell is the point of doing that?

Ade

Roadkillphil
14-02-2012, 11:30 PM
What the hell is the point of doing that?

Ade

Hmmm, I sense a disturbance in the force.....

Fletching
14-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Hmmm, I sense a disturbance in the force.....

Don't worry, the toad has been successfully choked. The bizarre reasons are quite mundane: search engines trawl the internet searching for words and links by searching through the code. If there's an image - even if you can't see it - embedded in a post, the search engine will find its internet address in the code, thereby improving the number of times it appears every time someone browses that page as the code is visited more frequently. This makes the site connected to the image more popular and thus pushing it up the ratings.

Blah, blah, technical blah - NOW WHAT TYPE OF DOG DO YOU HAVE?

:)

AdrianRose
14-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Christ Almighty, and I thought I was lost before!!

Ade

Fletching
14-02-2012, 11:47 PM
Christ Almighty, and I thought I was lost before!!

Ade

Don't worry about that mate - it's irrelevant to the thread now.

Rhodesian Ridgebacks are cool. I grew up in SA and met quite a few of 'em.

AdrianRose
15-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Here she is posing.

http://img.tapatalk.com/577064e9-f8db-3355.jpg

Ade

Silverback
15-02-2012, 12:31 AM
Ahhh is that what they mean by SEO ?

Anyway if we are posting photos

Fletching
15-02-2012, 12:36 AM
So many beautiful dogs!

It might've started off as a nicked thread, but you guys have got some nice four-legged friends.

Silverback
15-02-2012, 12:52 AM
So many beautiful dogs!

It might've started off as a nicked thread, but you guys have got some nice four-legged friends.

Thanks, I think I have 2 very special and great looking dogs too.

My collie is anyones friend..... although I did see a quote which said 'If your dog doesn't like someone, you probably shouldn't either.' generally not a bad bit of advice I think

paulthefish2009
15-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Sapper, the above is so true!

Proventurer
15-02-2012, 08:41 AM
brings to mind a story Brian Plummer told in, I think, Tales of a rat hunting man.
He new someone with a Yorkie, it was as good at ratting as most Jack Russells.

Interesting, please bare in mind, I'm out here in SA, so who's Brian Plummer?
I trust Tales of a rat hunting man is a book, I'll see if I can find it on the web, I believe the tendency to take small game is inherent in all the small terrier type dogs, the problem with Yorkies (if there is one) is that most people have them as show dogs and grow there hair to ridiculous lengths and mamby pamby them to a stage that they lose their natural abilities.

rossbird
15-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Interesting, please bare in mind, I'm out here in SA, so who's Brian Plummer?
I trust Tales of a rat hunting man is a book, I'll see if I can find it on the web, I believe the tendency to take small game is inherent in all the small terrier type dogs, the problem with Yorkies (if there is one) is that most people have them as show dogs and grow there hair to ridiculous lengths and mamby pamby them to a stage that they lose their natural abilities.

Ah, didn't realise you weren't *local* here's a link to Plummer.
A bit of a throw back to days past but a great hunter/dog breeder, whose books are a absolute joy to read.
Especially if you are interested in Running Dogs and Terriers .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Plummer

Proventurer
15-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Ah, didn't realise you weren't *local* here's a link to Plummer.
A bit of a throw back to days past but a great hunter/dog breeder, whose books are a absolute joy to read.
Especially if you are interested in Running Dogs and Terriers .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Plummer

Thanks, for this Rossbird, looks like good stuff I'll enjoy some of the books, as to not being local well the say "home is where the heart is" I'm over here but the ancestral home is in Gosport, Hants,
"I be Ampsher"

happybonzo
15-02-2012, 06:46 PM
The posts that I like are where some one asks a question eg "what rating of inverter do I need to run a 700w Microwave? and how many leisure batterries do I need?"
HaHa as they then ask the same question on three or four different forums. What they don't seem to take into account is that the people who are going to asnwer their question are probably registered on other forums as well...

Or better still is when they come back and start to argue or as a year or more has gone by, the biffs then ask the same question again

Oh how I larf... ;)

andy t
15-02-2012, 07:22 PM
If i had a choice it would have to be a collie cross lurcher........brains as well as speed ...somewhere around 23 inches to the shoulder......a good all round size....at the risk of sounding as though i'm name dropping, well i suppose i am ......i lived with Brian Plummer and his future wife Norma for about 12 months at his home in Scotland,at Hillhead, East Mey, Caithness and while was there Brian gave me dog, a daughter of his best ever bitch, a dog Called Merab. The dog he gave me was called Fallon, originally owned by Neil Mackay and returned to Brian in extremely sad circumstances. Neil Mackay was i believe mentioned in Plummers book " North by North Again". If i could find another like her that would be my ideal dog. A totally obedient and beautiful animal, a great pot filler and on some days she easily outperformed her mother, although Brian would never admit to this.

rossbird
15-02-2012, 07:33 PM
If i had a choice it would have to be a collie cross lurcher........brains as well as speed ...somewhere around 23 inches to the shoulder......a good all round size....at the risk of sounding as though i'm name dropping, well i suppose i am ......i lived with Brian Plummer and his future wife Norma for about 12 months at his home in Scotland,at Hillhead, East Mey, Caithness and while was there Brian gave me dog, a daughter of his best ever bitch, a dog Called Merab. The dog he gave me was called Fallon, originally owned by Neil Mackay and returned to Brian in extremely sad circumstances. Neil Mackay was i believe mentioned in Plummers book " North by North Again". If i could find another like her that would be my ideal dog. A totally obedient and beautiful animal, a great pot filler and on some days she easily outperformed her mother, although Brian would never admit to this.

Nice post.
I can only assume you benefited from your time with Plummer.
Going by his books he was a great orator with lots of knowledge to pass on.

andy t
15-02-2012, 07:40 PM
I have to say that yes i did learn alot, and yes he was a great orator, but, at the risk of sounding ungrateful for my time up there and putting to one side the fact that he has now passed away, don't believe all you read.

clapton33uk
16-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Hi well i have two Shih Tzu ,that i end up with and they both come with me and they love it, her is one on my sons bed lol they are not my choice of dog but they are fuuny

Helmetbolt
22-02-2012, 11:03 AM
I take my Traditional type, Shar Pei out with me . She's 8 months old now and a great hunter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Helmetbolt/Chyna/Image03-1.jpg

rossbird
22-02-2012, 11:30 AM
That's a great looking dog, I didn't realise they were hunters.
What would the Chinese hunt with these?

Silverback
22-02-2012, 11:57 AM
What would the Chinese hunt with these?

Given their human rights record..............;)

rossbird
22-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Given their human rights record..............;)

I wondered if it was something with more value :rolleyes:

Helmetbolt
23-02-2012, 10:38 AM
The Shar Pei breed can be traced back to 206 BC. It was originally used as a hunting / fighting dog. It then evolved into a herding dog. They have a powerfull prey drive and will hunt almost anything. Most of the breed were killed off in the time of communist China due to Mao's reforms. By 1978 they were classed as the rarest dogs in the world with only 28 pairs left in existance. The Hong Kong Kennel club sent a plea to America to save the breed. They sent over a breeding pair and the Americans successfully saved the breed. Although over time they were bred for their cuteness and wrinkles as pups.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Helmetbolt/Chyna/pups.jpg

This has caused a lot of health issues in the breed. They even have miniture Shar Pei now.!!!

The original Shar Pei is a working athletic dog.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Helmetbolt/Chyna/chinese-shar-pei1.jpg

The American version is more of a couch potato.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Helmetbolt/Chyna/americanversion.gif

I'm lucky to own the traditional type. When we are out she patrols the perimeters of fields and flushes out pheasants, partridge etc. She has caught one rabbit, a couple of rats and plenty of mice and voles. She is a faithfull companion and excellent company when out.

rossbird
23-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the info, Helmetbolt.
Would they be classed as a scent or sight dog?

Helmetbolt
23-02-2012, 11:38 AM
More of a scent than sight dog.

Outdoors Dad
27-02-2012, 11:57 AM

Mine is a 3 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback weighing in around 60 kilos. He wears a pannier type rucksack and carries around 20-25 pounds of kit for both of us..... is absolutely tireless.... and silent. I have him trained to return to my side upon hand signals, so we don't chase the wildlife away. Top dog and handsome too!

El
25-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Two Jacks and a ScottieXBorder terrier , smallest Jack thinks its a Tiger lol

Suba
29-03-2012, 09:59 PM
I have a 14 month yella lab.
Also trying to do some gundog training with him , see below -
See here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAllCpHIXpk&feature=plcp&context=C4dce0b9VDvjVQa1PpcFPT2n-WEVaA_WZI-A3gRAnkQ3RJgA2hWFw%3D)
I think its great having a dog with you doing bushy stuff, they are able to bring your attention to things in the environment that you would probably miss otherwise.
The collie cross lurcher sounds a great bush dog though.

El
07-04-2012, 10:22 PM
One thing holds true, dog owners are never lonely people !

Sar-ian
07-04-2012, 11:59 PM
for me it's a rescue greyhound, the main reason is that so many get discarded when their racing career ends, they walk great on the lead, they tend to be quiet, gentle dogs, they are great with kids, old folk etc, and they love sleeping, and don't tend to be agressive unless it's small and furry. I love 'em........

happy trails: keep the sun on your face, and the rain of your back.............

tonx
08-04-2012, 12:10 AM
For me it is my Shih Tzu Charlie he loves the outdoors & is very intelligent & funny and a welcome addition when going out alone.;)

m0txr
08-04-2012, 02:53 AM
I have a greyhound cross lurcher, Max. If it rabbit sized and furry he turns into freddy krueger, most times hes my 40mph couch potato. He worked brilliant with my border terrier named Amos (my kids just called him Mozzy) . The terrier would go through bramble as though it was cotton wool, flush rabbits and max would then run in and pick them up. They worked well together till one day Mozzy the border terrier hit a fence wire and due to injury had te be put down by the vet. He was a true terrier and stocky and strong, keen to please. Ive never replaced him, but Max the greyhound lurcher well he's still keen as mustard.

FishyFolk
12-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Akita Inu. Nice siced, strong dogs that can help you carry your gear. I don't have one, but once I get a dog again, that will be it.

Old Guard
01-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Jack Russel (have two)

FishyFolk
01-05-2012, 08:19 PM
One that can carry my stuff in summer, and drag it in winter...

Opal
05-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Our last dog died about seven years ago, an Irish Terrier, great temp and dead easy to train. Great with kids but the missus won't entertain another after losing our Foxy (only five) which died through anaemia. I'd deffo have another Irish.

Appears my laptop is now bouncing, :) took a couple of months in a shop down the road, like losing my favourite pet. :(

Stickley
26-10-2012, 08:44 AM
Jack Russel /springer cross and staffordshire bull terrier. Both fantastic company.

FishyFolk
26-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Here is my dog from when I grew up:

She was a mix of Golden Retriever and Norwegian Buhund on the mothers side of things and Norwegian Grey Elghund on the fathers side.
Norwegian buhund is closely related to the Icleandic sheep dog and the Buhund simple means farm dog. The grey elghund is a moose hunting dog.
You release it and it will find the moose, and start barking to tell the hunter where it is. It will then try and keep the moose in place by circling it and bark, until the
hunter can come and shoot it. Very clever dogs.

Sadly my dog was dumb as a doornail. But I really loved her. She died of old age while I was deplyed to the Lebanon, and I have never been as drunk as I was after I heard the news...

Well, well, she is is in the dogs eternal hunting grounds now, chasing rabbits all day :-)

Tigger004
26-10-2012, 09:05 AM
Any dog is a comfort and good companion when you're out on your own, never in a mood with you either..lol

We have and Parsons Jack (16yrs) called Dave, never used to like small dogs but he's more of a friend than a dog.

f0rm4t
26-10-2012, 09:20 AM
I've an eight year old West Highlands White Terrier called Scruffy. He's my best mate. (Al will be happy!)
We also have a Kent Police German Shepard called Kruga. We have him from eight weeks and (my wife) trains him for the first year of his life, then he'll be assigned a Police handler ...then it all starts over again.

5716 5717 5718

f0rm4t
26-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Jack Russel /springer cross and staffordshire bull terrier. Both fantastic company.

:welcome: to the forum Stickley!

AL...
26-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Heres my neep of a mutt! he is a cross between a jac and a plummer terrier.
he is also about as smart as a half brick! (my wife says he gets that from me) :confused2:

Cheers
AL

f0rm4t
26-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Well he sure looks like one contented & happy hound Al! *#*

Heres my neep of a mutt! he is a cross between a jac and a plummer terrier.
he is also about as smart as a half brick! (my wife says he gets that from me) :confused2:

Cheers
AL

AL...
26-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Aye Paul hes a happy mutt . When my wife is walking im No one will touch her he would eat them alive.
If Im walking him . its a case of on yerself bigman!!

Cheers
AL

Stickley
26-10-2012, 12:04 PM
:welcome: to the forum Stickley!

Thanks F0rm4t

f0rm4t
26-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Thanks F0rm4t

You're welcome.
Make sure you Introduce ya'self (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?37-Introduce-Yourself-amp-Welcome-to-the-Community!) to the chaps here (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?37-Introduce-Yourself-amp-Welcome-to-the-Community!) mate. T^

GalaxyRider
03-11-2012, 12:25 PM
We always had a dog when I was growing up, I love them. We are looking at some rescue dogs now, probably a Jack Russell is where we will end up.

As for the best Bushcrafting type, well, to be honest you'd want one that tasted nice, you know, just in case.....

dog.breath
10-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Here's a picture of my two best friends, Lefty (on the left) and Inti. Lefty is a 4-year-old ACD, and Inti is an 11-year-old Weimaraner mix. They're both fun hiking & camping companions, though Inti's getting to an age that he gets pretty tuckered out if we try to cover more than a couple miles at once. They're good boys.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7168/6620463841_4298e99bdb_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/spirituscanis/6620463841/)

butchthedog
10-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Here's mine "Sam" on the left, Avatar, he's a bit of a character, I swear he talk's to me. Make's more sense than the missus anyway. His motto is anything wet and muddy "we'll have some of that"
He's a Sprocker, Cross between a Springer and Cocker Spaniel
Dave.

micky c
27-11-2012, 01:36 AM
my lurcher is 16 years old now, all he does is eat, ****, **** and sleep, i'm going to miss the old fella, he's caught me rabbits by the hundreds, he'd take down deer, fox, pretty much anything i asked him to,now he's to old to take out anymore, my bush buddy now is my english bull terrier, rabbit mad, he marks rabbit holes for fun and he thinks he can dig em out, he could'nt catch a cold but by god its funny watching him try, i'v had a good life with my old dog but i'm having a different life with my new dog, guess what i'm trying to say is, it doesnt matter what breed of dog you have as long as it suits you,my bull is my best friend and he loves bushcraft as much as i do, i think,

cuppa joe
27-11-2012, 08:16 AM
A St Bernard....no need for a sleeping bag and a ready supply of water .

Tigger004
27-11-2012, 08:23 PM
I don't take my Parsons Jack, at 17 he would whistle through his nose all night driving me mad or sit and shiver making me feel guilty