PDA

View Full Version : A good pair of pants

Kernowek Scouser
12-02-2012, 06:52 PM
As my growing interest for all things bushcraft has been born out of an enjoyment of walking (and latterly backpacking) I have always tended to go for pants geared towards walking. But now I am spending more time on my knees setting up camp and cooking grub, I think it might be an idea to expand my wardrobe to include more multi functional pants.

Ideally, I am looking for a pair of pants that meet the following criteria:
Lightweight
Breathable
Reasonably weather proof
Generally hard wearing
Specifically have reinforced knees
Are available in short leg size as I am not a giant
And most importantly, don't make you chafe like a like a bar steward after a good days walking.

I've been looking at Montane's Terra Pants, which seem to tick all of the boxes, but it would be great if folks would like to chip in with suggestions.

Thanks,

Colin

Ben Casey
12-02-2012, 06:58 PM
I have an old pair of combat trousers I use for most things but there are loads out there and some rather expensive ones to :)

Martin
12-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Terra pants don't have enough pockets. Great walking trousers but the lack of pockets becomes very tiresome.

For playing around camp, and for walking come to that, you just can't really beat Craghoppers. They are dead cheap from the likes of TK Maxx, fairly hard wearing and look the part. For the money, you can't go wrong.

Martin

Roadkillphil
12-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Terra pants don't have enough pockets. Great walking trousers but the lack of pockets becomes very tiresome.

For playing around camp, and for walking come to that, you just can't really beat Craghoppers. They are dead cheap from the likes of TK Maxx, fairly hard wearing and look the part. For the money, you can't go wrong.

Martin

Unless youm on Dartmoor and the crotch splits wide open!! ;)

Martin
12-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Unless youm on Dartmoor and the crotch splits wide open!! ;)

But then you'd have to be a proper numpty to allow that to happen wouldn't you? ;)

Martin

Kernowek Scouser
12-02-2012, 07:49 PM
I've also had a splitting incident involving a pair of Craighoppers, climbing over a wall when the nearby stone stile was unusable.

It provided much amusement for the folks I was walking with that day :D

I intended to replace them with another pair, but was drawn to a pair of considerably cheaper Regatta Ainsley pants, which had more pockets (I am a bit of a pocket freak) and they have proved to be more comfortable to walk in, fairly wind resistant and pretty hard wearing, as they have lasted more than twice as long as the Craighoppers. And did I mention they were cheap? After my first test walk in the Ainsleys, I went back and bought two more pairs and had still spent less than one pair of Craighoppers would have cost me.

The only problems with the Ainsleys are they are not very water repellent and the knees are not suited to being kelt on for any length of time.

Weak knees are always a problem!

jus_young
12-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Well they are not exactly your typical outdoor trousers but I tend to where Dickies work trousers. If they do get wet then they dry very quickly, they can be used with internal knee pads if wanted and act as a moisture barrier but if you choose not to then you have a double material layer on the knee, they are comfortable to wear as I use them all day every day for work, extremely hardwearing, nice fitting, more pockets than you will ever need and only cost about £17.

Kernowek Scouser
12-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Cheers, a couple of options to have a think about.

T^

Dan XF
13-02-2012, 06:42 AM
I tend to wear craghoppers day to day although if I'm out in the woods for a day I've recently turned to Rohan. Their bags are great with knee and crotch reinforcement and they do a water resistant model. Check out their website rohan.co.uk and look at the Souk section, the Epic Bags come in one long length with some hem tape to take them up. So good I bought a 2nd pair.

garethw
13-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Hi there
I've read good reviews on the French Bushcraft forum about the Helikon Tex trousers... The do two sorts cotton and ripstop nylco. You can get camo, even multicam or plain beige, OD etc. http://www.military1st.co.uk/clothing-trousers-bdu/. the consensus is that they are very well made, every bit as good as brands costing the double.

They are as cheap as Craghoppers and the reviews are very good. I think they will be my next purchase. I too have had the splitting crotch on nearly all my Craghoppers. They will last a year or even two, before it goes. Something a little bit more robust is called for.

cheers
Gareth

Roadkillphil
13-02-2012, 08:40 AM
I like my crag hoppers apart from one thing. I've never had a crotch split on me but I can see the potential for this happening.
I have noticed that the length from waist to crotch is quite long in comparison to other trousers. I find that unless I pull the waist right up to my ribs that the crotch hangs low, restricting my movement when climbing or negotiating rough terrain. I reckon if you were to force stretch the pants beyond this restriction then youm gonna split the crotch.
Other than this I find they are hard wearing and well stitched. Mine get hammered at work and in all my outdoor activities.

cuppa joe
13-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Armpit pants ...

Kernowek Scouser
13-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Cheers T^

Speaking of Craighoppers, does anyone have an opinion on these:

http://www.beargryllsstore.com/buy/b...s-short-186064
http://www.beargryllsstore.com/buy/b...s-short-210462

I tend to avoid gear associated with Tedwood Grylls, as the price is usually hiked up to a premium. But these pants came up last night in a general google shopping search, around the £20 mark (although this morning, they seem to be rather more expensive when you click through to view) they tick most of the box I'm looking for and they are made by Craighopper.

Thoughts?

Ben Casey
13-02-2012, 10:55 AM
Cheers T^
Speaking of Craighoppers, does anyone have an opinion on these:
http://www.beargryllsstore.com/buy/b...s-short-186064
http://www.beargryllsstore.com/buy/b...s-short-210462
I tend to avoid gear associated with Tedwood Grylls, as the price is usually hiked up to a premium. But these pants came up last night in a general google shopping search, around the £20 mark (although this morning, they seem to be rather more expensive when you click through to view) they tick most of the box I'm looking for and they are made by Craighopper.
Thoughts?

Hi I have a pair of these and to be honest the pocket zips have gone as they seem like a cheap make so I'm just waiting for the fly zip to go next LOL

Wood_Wose
13-02-2012, 01:09 PM
i recently bought a pair of 5.11 tactical pants brand spanking for £35, watched an online video somewhere (il try and find it) where they test the crotch seam by tying the trousers to the tow hitch of a truck and then 4 guys, 2 on each leg tried to tear the seam with no success, the only way they managed to tear it was by tying one leg of the trousers to an immovable object and pulling them apart with the truck! not bad for £35......

Fletching
13-02-2012, 01:38 PM
A bit pricey, but I swear by Fjallraven Greenland Trousers (linky) (http://www.nordicoutdoor.co.uk/fjallraven/trousers/fjallraven-greenland-trousers.html).

...I'm wearing 'em right now.

Steve :)

Kernowek Scouser
15-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Cheers, I've now got a good idea of what my options are T^