PDA

View Full Version : Royal Forest of Dean

GlenM
09-02-2012, 08:07 PM
I've just spent two days in Lydney on the banks of the Severn estuary doing something for my work.It's right on the edge of the Forest of Dean so I drove around it this morning before returning home.
It's rather big, pristine ancient woodland and as frustrating as it was driving through it I'm definately going back for a weekend, maybe in the spring to check it out on foot, can't wait!

Has anyone else got any experience of the Forest ? ....maybe there's a forrester among you?...or even a Verderer ??

Glen

Mark W
09-02-2012, 08:26 PM
It's great

GlenM
09-02-2012, 08:32 PM
What a place to have on your doorstep..........can you recommend somewhere for a weekend??

Glen

JonnyP
09-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Am I right in thinking its the biggest forest in England..?

GlenM
09-02-2012, 08:45 PM
I think Kielder Forest is the biggest in Northumberland......

Glen

bigzee
09-02-2012, 08:54 PM
As kids we spent several summer holidays there, at a rented cottage near a place called Park End. All mysteriously dark woods and an atmosphere of defunct industry and old railways. A brilliant place for anyone who likes to "play" in the woods, and we spent many happy days making bows and arrows, and exploring.

On the last day of the final trip my Dad, brother and me started building a log cabin, overlapping long branches to make about half of the walls. Imagine how reluctant we were to leave it unfinished and drive back to the East Midlands the next morning, annoyed that we hadn't begun it earlier! These are the kind of places that make long-lasting impressions on a young mind, and a permanent taste for the woods.

paul standley
10-02-2012, 06:59 PM
The forest of dean is approx 45 mins from me but surprisingly, I don't get there too often but it is an amazing place and it now sports it's own 'wild' boar population which has grown up from a few escapees over time.

Worth a visit if you are ever near by...