PDA

View Full Version : Claustraphobia....

GaryBeaner
15-12-2010, 06:20 PM
I was just wondering, and after some words of wisdom. Is it just me that is happy sleeping under a tarp, but really hates the cocoon feeling of being under a tarp and in a hammock? I have to be down and on the floor. Well, not quite on the floor, I do use a roll mat! The thing is I got caught out a while back when the heavens opened for what seemed like an age. I was almost floating, and so was my gear. Any advice on avoiding this without bringing a hammock into the equation?

luresalive
15-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Camp bed from argos, best £9.99 you will ever spend.

resnikov
15-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Platform in a tree?

Pick your pitch well, look for where ground water may run so you can pitch away from it.

Or just join the dark side and get a hammock :p

Martin
16-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Plus one for the camp bed, although mine is a dutch army job from Endicotts.

Brilliant night's sleep although heavy and not really suitable for carrying too far. If you do go for the camp bed, don't forget to bring the roll mat to put on top for the same reason you use one in the hammock.

Martin

jack_in_the_green
26-12-2010, 03:09 PM
why not just pitch your hammock low to the ground and your tarp higher up so you can see all around you?

Fletching
26-12-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm a hammock and tent man depending on how much I want to carry and the level of privacy I want. All good advice from the guys here (...they're still trying to get you over to the 'dark side'!) and you could always buy a better tent with a high 'bathtub' floor. Sir Ray of Mears recommends the Hilleberg Akto and that's got the high floor, and I've read good reviews. I'm saving up for one (the price seems to be the same-ish wherever you look). Only problem with this tent is that it's a 4 - season, so could get pretty sweaty in Summer! As always, you get what you pay for.

...or you could try a hammock?...

Steve ;)

GaryBeaner
26-12-2010, 06:25 PM
I feel so daft now for not thinking of something as simple as pitching a hammock low!!! Doh, Doh and more Doh!

Fletching
26-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Hi Gary,

You've got enough doh's and now have the perfect bannock recipe!

Welcome to the dark side (NB. I'm not your father).

Steve

GaryBeaner
27-12-2010, 12:27 PM
LMAO My Dad still thinks it's a little odd at my age '41' to be running round the woods 'doing whatever it is you do'!!

Ashley Cawley
28-12-2010, 11:18 AM
It's a common problem Gary, I've met quite a few people who don't like hammocks for that reason, thankfully I'm fine with them.

Yeah if you've got a Tarp & hammock already I would recommend going out to the woods to have a play ;) and just try setting them up in different ways; may as well if you've got the kit already. I'm sure you'll find a solution your happy with.

I tend to pitch my hammock lower now, not because of claustrophobia but just for ease of getting out. Also don't some people use lightweight net-hammocks to hold their kit below their main hammock?.. I've not used them myself but it might be an option, or you can make a tripod with sticks etc.