PDA

View Full Version : Personal Game Trails.

Wrighty28
04-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Over the winter a game trail as developed in my garden! I spotted it a few months back but have never been able to get a picture until this morning when the frost has settled over it!

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae68/Wrighty28/IMG_0107.jpg

I've spotted the foxes following the same tracks every time when they come from the woods, squirrels to from time to time. Even spotted deer in the woodland but they'd never get over the fence so im certain there not using it :)

Ben Casey
04-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Thats cool :)

Wrighty28
06-02-2012, 07:11 PM
its a big arch, goes all the way down to my back door where we generally throw all the foods scraps out. then turns back upto the other corner of my garden!

paulthefish2009
06-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Nice one mate,often see them when i'm out and about, we had fox tracks going across the front garden sunday morning after the snow.

Bushwhacker
08-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Do you have badgers in the vicinity?

Wrighty28
08-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Do you have badgers in the vicinity?

not that i know of. but that woodland at the back there stretches onto a golf course which then backs onto numerous fields so i wouldnt be surprised. they could easily gain access if they wanted to owing to the big hole in the fence lol

Saxon
08-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Wrighty try the Ray Mears trick. Get half a bucket of sand and spread it on part of the trail. With any luck you'll get a nice clear footprint or prints and be able to show us a photo..:)

Bushwhacker
09-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Take a look on the fence to see if any hairs have snagged.
If using a sand trap I'd lay it at a bottle-neck like the hole in the fence rather than on the open ground. They have no choice but to walk through it then.

Back to the OP - that fence is nowhere near high enough to prevent a deer getting over. I've seen roe deer easily clear a 5 bar gate from a standing start.

Wrighty28
09-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Wrighty try the Ray Mears trick. Get half a bucket of sand and spread it on part of the trail. With any luck you'll get a nice clear footprint or prints and be able to show us a photo..:)

something similar has happened naturally! the snow has settled and given some impressive prints. il try and get a picture tomorrow. im 100% sure its foxes, but i shall have a look at the fence opening to see if any hairs have snagged aswell

Take a look on the fence to see if any hairs have snagged.
If using a sand trap I'd lay it at a bottle-neck like the hole in the fence rather than on the open ground. They have no choice but to walk through it then.

Back to the OP - that fence is nowhere near high enough to prevent a deer getting over. I've seen roe deer easily clear a 5 bar gate from a standing start.

wow. i never thought a deer would attempt that. its waist height one side and chest height the other. i would have assumed it would have more trouble jumping back over than getting in.

paulthefish2009
09-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Wrighty, my lad is a farm hand, last weekend he found a muntjack that had been hit by car,luckly it was only stunned. After a bit of tlc and a rub down with some some straw he tryied to let it go by lowering over the boundry fence,before he lent over it struggled free and jumped the fence. The fence was 4 foot high and the deer(not one of our natives but still the smallest we have,small dog size)cleared it ease. Mate of mine regulary has roe deer in his garden and he has a 6 foot fence.