PDA

View Full Version : Long lines

Metal mug
15-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Has anyone else done one of these. They're fun but usually you use more bait than what you catch. Squid is supposed to be good but I haven't tried it yet.

Edwin
17-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Have wondered about getting one. What length and number of hooks do you use? I would run it from a boat not stake it out from shore. What do you do?

swkieran
18-09-2011, 09:46 PM
i use a running ledger rig on my rod, i can tell you metal mug rag worm or mackeral strip,peeler crab,are the best baits,how ever when youre fishing with long lines near the bottom,you will lose alot of good bait to mr and mrs crab,

fish
19-09-2011, 01:49 AM
ng lines here are remarkably under ledgislated on! no need to name tag them etc.common sense is needed ,theyre only allowed in salt water,and shouldnt pose ahazard to boats and idiots.
the problem i found was 2 things,bdooly birds getting hooked and drowning when the dive for the fish on the line and also weed and the like gathering on the line and streatching the main line .
overcome the bird problem at low water by using worm and covering in a thin layer of sand,also 100lb breaking strain mainline can be too weak if covered in weed in a strong tide so shell out some cash and buy some seriosly strong strimmer cable the stuff used by push strimmers is ideal as it has a bs of over 400lb.or use some of the cheap blue poly rope.
obviously be aware of size limits!

heres some pics of a 40 yarder i made:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/days%20out%20and%20holidays/DSC04313.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/days%20out%20and%20holidays/DSC04315.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/days%20out%20and%20holidays/DSC04312.jpg

obviously the thing was put in the sea lol

SilverBinder
27-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Are you after 'cat' or 'dog' fish?

Here in the states, we call them trot lines. Guess because you have to 'trot' around to check them. They are legislated and must be tagged in most states - at least in saltwater. I have used them in Texas in both salt and fresh. We don't have the tides you have so we use boats or waders to check the lines. In salt water, boat is the best because of potential shark problems - attracted to the noise and blood. Freshwater is not so bad but we do have alligators and garfish that are a bit problematic. Also poisonous snakes!

ian c
27-06-2013, 08:48 PM
I have used a home made long line, I made it using 30 mtrs of paracord off a old chute that was beyond repair and 10 size 2 hooks for bait I used mackeral strips, only caught 1 small dab, 1 dogfish and a couple of ling.

woodstock
02-10-2013, 10:09 PM
Is long netting legal in coastal waters or is it only long lines that can be used.

robdjon
25-10-2013, 06:17 PM
I use to do it many years ago and had very good results, to avoid catching the odd person we use to lay the line at night, also to avoid bait robbers (crabs) we use to use little floats set back from the hook which raised the bait of the bottom when the tide came in.

tds123
08-02-2015, 04:30 PM
We used to fish long line commercially when I used to work out of Looe for conga eels, 1000 hooks a string baiteed with whole Mackerras! Very dangerous, it was the only part of fishing I hated, shooting the lines out the back of the boat, if a hook grabbed you, over and down you go!