PDA

View Full Version : RSPB The Great British Bird Spotting event this weekend

AdrianRose
24-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Hi Folks

I thought that this may be worth a mention and of some interest to a few of the members here.

The RSPB are doing a National bird watching event this weekend. Essentially all you need to do is to count the wild birds in your garden for one hour this weekend and register your findings with the RSPB at http://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/takepart.aspx

They are trying to get an accurate over view of the numbers and locations of Britains wild bird population.

All the best
Ade

Ben Casey
24-01-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm registered I think it is cool :)

paulthefish2009
24-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Done this for the last couple of years,well worth doing, it's amazing what can turn up if you keep your eyes peeled.Had a sparrow hawke turn up the other week hoping to pick off a song bird from my feeders.

Ben Casey
24-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Done this for the last couple of years,well worth doing, it's amazing what can turn up if you keep your eyes peeled.Had a sparrow hawke turn up the other week hoping to pick off a song bird from my feeders.

I was suprised the other day I had a pheasant in the back garden I never expected that :)

paulthefish2009
24-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Pheasant ! yum yum ! should have had abit of archery practice with that ben!

Ben Casey
24-01-2012, 08:36 PM
I would have I could have cried as Im only half way ready with my things :( But hey it will be bigger for another day :)

paulthefish2009
24-01-2012, 08:42 PM
Ha ha, nice one,keep the feed going,it,s sure to be back

Ben Casey
24-01-2012, 08:47 PM
I think the birds get better feed than me here but it is great in the summer sitting on the back door step watching them I could sit for hours :)

paulthefish2009
24-01-2012, 09:07 PM
I know what you mean, i spend hours watching them by the back door,anyway if anyone can spare a hour this weekend then give the rspb survey a go.

Saxon
24-01-2012, 10:18 PM
I'd like to help but I think I'm disqualified as I don't have a garden, but if I look out from my main hatch I can usually see little Egrets, Redshank, Black Headed Gulls, Common Gulls, and about half a dozen other species.
The Little Egrets are getting quite settled locally and not nearly as shy as they used to be..:)
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk136/highandry_photos/024.jpg

Ben Casey
24-01-2012, 10:54 PM
The way I understand it it doesnt have to be a garden it can be your local park or somewhere like that as long as they are not flying over but are on the ground in a set area but I could be wrong :)

Saxon
24-01-2012, 11:02 PM
That's a good point Ben, in fact that photo on the RSPB website shows someone on a canal barge. I'll register and do the count I think, they can always bin the result if it's not what they want..:)

Ben Casey
24-01-2012, 11:09 PM
I'm sure they wont do that :)

jus_young
24-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Think I will give this one a go, doubt I will be as fortunate as Sunday morning. Looked out of the kitchen window looking at the back garden and all the work that needs doing when a Peregrine swooped down and took a Jackdaw. Amazing to see but the poor Peregrine didn't get to keep it long as the other Jackdaws mobbed it and forced a drop.

Dan XF
25-01-2012, 10:08 AM
My dad used to obtain pheasant when I was a kid. My mum used to make the best pheasant soup. I grew up thinking that all soups had little bits of shot in them. We used to get the odd bit of venison as well. It's amazing to think that shops now open all night long but long before that my dad could go out at 9:00pm and be back before sunrise with enough meat for us for a month. Never did find out where that shop was.

Saxon
25-01-2012, 10:36 AM
I've never heard it called 'Obtaining' before, I reckon he must have found a 24 hour Tesco somewhere..:innocent: :D :D