PDA

View Full Version : A little tarp setup tip video.

Juanodaxis
21-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Hi all. I was looking at some videos in YouTube and I came across this chick (I wish my missus sees that video)
She’s demonstrating a way to set your main line for your tarp using a bungee on one side (No necessarily like that) and a double line on the other end, but that cord is actually knotted together every so often, probably every inch. Well, have a look, I thought is quite clever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0tHVjbqQKs
I quite like her, lol.

mark
21-01-2012, 04:05 PM
what a bloddy good idear

Ben Casey
21-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Bit dodgy using a bungee at one end though I would have thought :)

Juanodaxis
21-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Exactly my though about the bungee. I see why she needs some elasticity on that line, but that hook in the eyelet like that, looks a tad unsecured and ruff on the tarp around the eyelet. I would use an elastic loop in between to pieces of paracord or whatever you want to use as a line. Maybe use a thick ring cut from an inner tube.

luresalive
21-01-2012, 09:10 PM
I use bungees for tarps now and again,they're not that strong so there's no worry of them tearing the tarp, I like that idea, looks very easy,will give it a go

bare grills
21-01-2012, 10:16 PM
i always rate videos on a scale on 1-10 !

in this instance i'd give her 1 ;)

thought i'd get that one in before martin ....lol

Ben Casey
21-01-2012, 10:17 PM
I use bungees for tarps now and again,they're not that strong so there's no worry of them tearing the tarp, I like that idea, looks very easy,will give it a go

I was thinking more if the bungee comes of and takes someones eye out or catches them wrong is all it happens :( But it was just an observation I use them to on some jobs but I always try and watch out for them to :)

jus_young
21-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Not sure I would rely entirely on the cord pinching the knot and it staying in place with the wind blowing on it. Probably use a slippery half hitch aswell. I use shockcord all round on my DD tarp now. It keeps the tension right without putting too much strain on the hoops and when pegged down it allows the tarp to give a little in the wind minimising the forces put on it. I also use the tarp 90deg out from most people i.e. I have what most folks use as the ridge running down the sides instead. This allows me to use a hoop in the centre of each side with some more shockcord to pull the sides out giving me more room between the tarp and the hammock much like some of the silnylon types available.

Ben Casey
22-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Not sure I would rely entirely on the cord pinching the knot and it staying in place with the wind blowing on it. Probably use a slippery half hitch aswell. I use shockcord all round on my DD tarp now. It keeps the tension right without putting too much strain on the hoops and when pegged down it allows the tarp to give a little in the wind minimising the forces put on it. I also use the tarp 90deg out from most people i.e. I have what most folks use as the ridge running down the sides instead. This allows me to use a hoop in the centre of each side with some more shockcord to pull the sides out giving me more room between the tarp and the hammock much like some of the silnylon types available.

Have you got some pictures?

bigzee
22-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Good idea with the knots (I think the constant tension would keep them "nipped-up".

I'm all for a bit of elasticity in these kinds of setups, as it tends provide a bit of give when the wind blows and returns the tension when it stops. My wild country voyager never had a loose peg in the last 19 years - which I think is thanks to the bungee rings on the flysheet pegging points. I made a point of fitting thick rubber bands to my tarp eyelets for this reason.

Opal
22-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Some of my bungees which are strong and no hooks would do better.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd90/opaldan/bungees.jpg

Roadkillphil
22-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Have you got some pictures?

Seconded. I'd be interested to see how your setup works. Pics, or even a vid if youm feeling brave, would be great Jus. :D

jus_young
22-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Closest I have to pictures or vids is 3.30 on Ashleys vid here http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?2760-Small-Bushmeet-with-Old-Friends&highlight=looe

Didn't think of taking piccys of the tarp setup as I was focusing on the underquilt at the time. Will see if I can get it set up and take some more photos.

ian c
22-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Hi to everyone just thought that i would let you know i stopped using bungees after seeing alot of accidents with them in one of the accidents one of the blokes had a eye taken out by the hook an the end of a bungee, since i stopped using bungees i have been using inner tube rings attached to my basha with paracord. by the way the reason i have seen so many accidents is because i was a medic in the army.

jus_young
23-01-2012, 07:30 AM
Hi to everyone just thought that i would let you know i stopped using bungees after seeing alot of accidents with them in one of the accidents one of the blokes had a eye taken out by the hook an the end of a bungee, since i stopped using bungees i have been using inner tube rings attached to my basha with paracord. by the way the reason i have seen so many accidents is because i was a medic in the army.

Thats why I would never use bungee cords! These things are an accident waiting to happen. Shockcord is the way to go with no nasty hard hooky things on the end.

Ben Casey
23-01-2012, 09:17 AM
in the army.

Hi Ian Thats where I seen a lot of accidents so it made me warry of them.

Paracordist
23-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Thanks that was interesting.

Dan XF
25-01-2012, 12:35 PM
I always have used bungees for this. ! on each corner and one in the middle going up to a branch to lift the centre. I didn't witness any eye injuries but I did see a guy lose a piece of calf muscle from a ricochet on the range. Didn't put me off shooting though. Just be careful. I went out to a kid who had a piece of dime bar through his eye. It had shattered and gone like a piece of napped flint, right in to the globe itself. Accidents happen, just hope it's not to you.

Roadkillphil
25-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Not a big fan of bungees to be honest. Apart from to bungee someone to their bed with 10 blankets over them and turn it upside down. Not a bad weapon sling either.

Ben Casey
25-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Not a big fan of bungees to be honest. Apart from to bungee someone to their bed with 10 blankets over them and turn it upside down. Not a bad weapon sling either.

We used to put them in coveralls with a broom handle through the arms and hung from a locker :D

Fletching
25-01-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm moving to Vermont.

Fletching
27-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Found some cheap bungee cord cut to your own length...

Linky (http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/camping-equipment/spares-accessories/strong-olive-8mm-bungy-cord-green-536704.html)

Steve :)

Martin
27-01-2012, 06:44 PM
I'm moving to Vermont.

Bye. :p

Martin

jus_young
27-01-2012, 08:58 PM
If anyone is passing by Trago Mills they have 5mm shockcord at 35p metre. This is the stuff that I use on my tarp and works a treat:)

Roadkillphil
27-01-2012, 09:51 PM
If anyone is passing by Trago Mills they have 5mm shockcord at 35p metre. This is the stuff that I use on my tarp and works a treat:)

Bewty!! Nice on I do at least once a week. Cheers :D I take it in the haberdashery dept?

Martin
27-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Bewty!! Nice on I do at least once a week. Cheers :D I take it in the haberdashery dept?

Shockcord is in the electrical department mate.

Martin

jus_young
27-01-2012, 10:35 PM

Down by the decorating/paint area.

For those that don't know the Trago layout its through the front door, keep going straight through and just past the 2 1/2 litre tubs of meths (£3.50 ish :happy-clapping: ) and looking to the right its on the rack by the staff door. Theres also a nice selection of stainless steel boating fittings hanging up on a nearby rack with some good rings for the hammock suspension and a shackle spanner that is ideal as a threading tool for replacing cords in hammock ends etc as well as doubling up as a bottle opener, got to have at least two uses you know ;)

Edit... This is the Newton Abbot site, just remembered there are a few sites now

jus_young
27-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Shockcord is in the electrical department mate.

Martin

:p

(from the sparky)