PDA

View Full Version : Seam Sealant Tape

Humakt
12-01-2012, 01:05 PM
I need to make a waterproof seal between two pieces of material that I am going to sew together.
I know I can get seam sealant liquids, but I really would be a lot happier with tape over it, such as you get on tent seams.
Can anyone recommend me a good seam sealant TAPE?
I've looked but there doesn't seem to be much avaialble.
Cheers.

P.S. I should add that I think the material is silnylon. It's certainly some kind of waterproof ripstop nylon anyway - so not entirely sure that regular sealant liquids adhere and penetrate this material. Hence tape.
Unless anyone can advise otherwise...

Shewie
12-01-2012, 01:14 PM
A few options at Pennine ...

http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/catalogue.asp?cID=4

Humakt
12-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Cheers Shewie.
Since the material I have is, I believe, silicone coated then it looks like I'll have to use a mix of bath sealant and turps.
Anyone got a good formula and advice on doing this?

Shewie
12-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Cheers Shewie.
Since the material I have is, I believe, silicone coated then it looks like I'll have to use a mix of bath sealant and turps.
Anyone got a good formula and advice on doing this?

Get some regular clear silicone and keep adding a little bit of turps at a time until it's a runny mixture. I can't remember the exact amounts but say 1cm of silicone to about two teaspoons of turps, mix that up in a little pot and add more turps if needed. It goes a long way so just do a little bit at a time, it'll start to get thicker after five minutes or so so you need to be fairly quick. You need to get your tarp under tension before you add it too, for a really neat finish you can mask either side off with some tape if you like. A soft brush works well if you've got one

Proventurer
13-01-2012, 05:24 AM
I need to make a waterproof seal between two pieces of material that I am going to sew together.
I know I can get seam sealant liquids, but I really would be a lot happier with tape over it, such as you get on tent seams.
Can anyone recommend me a good seam sealant TAPE?
I've looked but there doesn't seem to be much avaialble.
Cheers.

P.S. I should add that I think the material is silnylon. It's certainly some kind of waterproof ripstop nylon anyway - so not entirely sure that regular sealant liquids adhere and penetrate this material. Hence tape.
Unless anyone can advise otherwise...

How about the tape they use to seal the seams on Rubber ducks?
Surely with the material your using, that would be best suited, why don't you look into your nearest marine suppliers?

luresalive
13-01-2012, 06:37 AM
I used bath silicone sealant one time and after a very short time it simply peeled off, does the turps siliconething work any better??

Shewie
13-01-2012, 07:28 AM
I used bath silicone sealant one time and after a very short time it simply peeled off, does the turps siliconething work any better??

Watering it down with the turps allows it to soak into the fabric rather than just sitting on top, once the turps evaporates you're just left with silicone impregnated fabric.

Metal mug
13-01-2012, 12:40 PM
I'll have to use a mix of bath sealant and turps.
Now that's a drink. :D

Let us know how it turns out. :)

Humakt
13-01-2012, 12:56 PM
So far so good.
It's currently hanging on the line as the turps dries/evaporates.
What I wanted to do was cut out the hood on a multicam poncho and then patch the hole with a patch cut from the hood, and then add a loop. I hemmed the patch and double-stitched it for strength.
Here's what I did - a piccie so you get the idea:

It's one of those Helikon multicam ponchos. I don't like ponchos, and the hood was aggravating me, so I decided to bite the bullet, cut it off and waterproof it, to give me a light-weight tarp in sexy multicam.
All folded up it's no bigger than a clenched fist, weighs about a couple hundred grams, and unfolded measures 200cm x 143cm. It'd be fine in the sunny weather as a shade, or in a light shower. Maybe not quite big enough to keep you dry in a deluge. But it'll make a perfect light-weight, small, tarp for cycle trips or light-weight trips.
We're having a night out in a couple of weeks so depending on the weather forecast I'll have chance to christen it.

cuppa joe
13-01-2012, 02:00 PM
http://www.stormsure.com/ it will also seal tears ...very hard wearing ....I used it on goretex bivi bag seams and tears it works great.
When you have finished with it and have some left keep it in the fridge it will last longer.

Kieran
04-02-2012, 06:11 PM
interesting thread!

Always wondered how to make that possible.

CanadianMike
04-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Is rather funny, past couple days I've been adding snaps (not that strong) and eyelets to my woodland camo 2mx3m tarp (made in Canada by Aqua Quest, water really hates this thing, totally beads and sheds off it like I've ever seen before) in order to set it up as a poncho, if I feel like it. So I'm doing the opposite of you, you are making a poncho into a tarp, and I'm setting up a tarp to be used as a poncho. :)