PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning?

Design
12-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Hi everyone,

I've just got a BCB crusader and I'm planning a little trip in a few weeks to try it out. But I'm pretty new to this and was wondering what is the best way to clean pots and cutlery etc, if you have a limited amount of clean water? Do you just use a minimal amount or can you clean it with unclean water and then just stick it in the fire for a while?

Thanks
Chris

Silverback
12-01-2012, 10:41 AM
We used to clean out issue mess tins with a handful of gravel /sand / small stones. and a little water. the gravel/sand mix acted as an abrasive and absorbed liquid - quick rinse with water - hey presto. Give it a try it works.

(Although generally i used to cook in the tins and packets then - no washing up at all :happy-clapping:)

Design
12-01-2012, 10:48 AM
That's great, I'll give it a try.

Cheers mate.

CanadianMike
12-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Ash is a pretty common way to clean pots, etc. as well, since it has lye in it (soap is made from animal fat and lye, the fat gives it a harder more mangable form factor).

Martin
12-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Of course, it all depends on how long you're going to be out for. I normally just use a little hot water and swill the pot out and leave the big clean up for when I get home. Alternatively, you can put some washing up liquid in a small bottle and again use just a very small amount of water to wash and then rinse the pot out. The fire or stove will, as you said, kill any nastys the next time you come to cook in it.

Martin

Shewie
12-01-2012, 01:16 PM
A handful of sphagnum moss makes a great scourer

Martin
12-01-2012, 01:20 PM
A handful of sphagnum moss makes a great scourer

Yes it does!! Great shout Rich.

Martin

Al21
12-01-2012, 01:35 PM
As others have said, grit, sand, ashes etc for stubborn bits. We usually have a small container of washing up liquid used sparingly. Not tried sphagnum moss, but found used tea bags to be quite successful.

Al

garethw
12-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Just get a small pack of kitchen wipes... They will get off most of the grime while out.
They really help save on water if none is available.

If you use your cups & pots on the fire you'll get a black layer build up which can partly be
removed by vigorous scouring, but in my mind lends to the look of the pots.

My Crusader and Zebra are pretty black on the outside and the cup has a distinct tannin
stain on the inside that is very hard to shift... but to be honest I really don't care. I clean them just enough
so they don't dirty my pack.

cheers
Gareth

ocean1975
12-01-2012, 05:39 PM
You can also use the plant called Horsetail(equisetum arvense) as it contains a lot of silica good abrasive to to scour your pots with.

ian c
12-01-2012, 09:18 PM
to clean the outside of my crusader i have scrubbed it on soil or grass more helpful if its damp then just wipe with a tissue for cleaning the inside a small piece of scotch brite a little water scrub an wipe out

Proventurer
13-01-2012, 05:41 AM
Hi everyone,

I've just got a BCB crusader and I'm planning a little trip in a few weeks to try it out. But I'm pretty new to this and was wondering what is the best way to clean pots and cutlery etc, if you have a limited amount of clean water? Do you just use a minimal amount or can you clean it with unclean water and then just stick it in the fire for a while?

Thanks
Chris

All good advice, the sand/grit method is very common here in SA, as a lot of the older generation, all did National Service in the Forces, now I'm going to get it in the neck for this one, (I just can't resist it!) I say take your Lady with (wife/girlfriend) and make clean up her responsibility, that way you can get on and enjoy your Bushcrafting.(tounge in cheek!)

Design
13-01-2012, 11:48 AM
All good advice, the sand/grit method is very common here in SA, as a lot of the older generation, all did National Service in the Forces, now I'm going to get it in the neck for this one, (I just can't resist it!) I say take your Lady with (wife/girlfriend) and make clean up her responsibility, that way you can get on and enjoy your Bushcrafting.(tounge in cheek!)

Haha, best advice yet, I can't believe no one thought of it sooner!!
Cheers.

stracy
19-01-2012, 04:29 AM
It is a lot easy to clean things with water and usually for those that have some stuff stuck on it, you can pretty much get water to boil on it so that you will be assured to kill germs and bacteria that have probably settled on it. I have not tried the method using sand but that is something that is famous in some answers so you might as well give that a try.

Juanodaxis
19-01-2012, 09:18 AM
I have used the sand and/or gravel way, but the advantage was that it usually was by a river, is that cheating?