PDA

View Full Version : Who Inspired You to Bushcraft/Survival

Basha72
10-01-2012, 08:57 PM
When I was 15 I started at my Local Army Cadet Unit and one of the first things I completed was a survival weekend ! this is where I first really took any notice of the man that stood before me passing on his knowledge to us mere kids, I was fortunate enough to realise that you don't get to meet too many of these people in your life that can have such an impact on how you lead the rest of your life, I sat I listened to what he said and showed us, I did this for a few years in cadets, he saw I was very interested and when the opportunity arose he would encourage me to lead some of the skills we used to go through, as the years went on I had to leave as a cadet and become an adult instructor at this point I was lucky enough to be taken to Hereford and spend weekends at the SAS Survival school based down at Pontrilas think they call it PATA "Pontrilas Army Training Area" now.

Whenever we used to run survival weekends with cadets on the last day we used to get all the kids together and take them to this tree which was very rare to find ! with the fruiting body ! it was all done with a very serious face lol when the kids got near we told them the latin name "Glucose maximus" and to see their faces when they saw the tree with mars bars tied to it was classic.

Sadly he died in 1999 of a heart attack while at work, he had gone back to work at the SAS Base in the Dive cell, His funeral was like a state funeral the church was full at Belmont Abbey with people having to stand outside, it showed what a great guy he was that so many people wanted to pay their respects to him one last time, I consider myself lucky to have met him and will never forget him and the knowledge he gave me and encouragement to go on learning RIP Harry

Bernie
10-01-2012, 09:16 PM
My dad was a scout leader in Switzerland. When he moved to Cape Town and had a family of three boys I suppose it came naturally to him (and us) that he should show us how to use knives, axes and knots. Whilst not really bushcraft, it taught us a lot about some of the tools used.

Since then, there is a lot more I've learnt from people like Ash and Justin and others on YouTube. Videos can convey a great deal of knowledge, but sometimes it's necessary to get 1:1 direct help (imagine things like bow-drill fire lighting).

rich290185
10-01-2012, 09:45 PM
My uncle Dan, ex squadie in the signels and all round top fella he taught me alot and still dose.

and of cause Mr Mears!!!!!!

come to think of it they look quite alike weird!!!! :confused2:

Ben Casey
10-01-2012, 10:06 PM
I just sort of got hooked I have always liked the outdoors and nature especially from my time in the Army @Rich when was your uncle Dan in the Signals I was in them for 17 years? :D

Silverback
10-01-2012, 11:11 PM
The ember was created when I was 13 years and 9 months old and joined the ACF. The ember was fanned, fuelled and burst into a real fire by more and more adventurous and exciting activites as I matured only to be prematurely extinguished whilst overseas.... however the extinguisher didnt know what he was doing and a little ember was left slowly glowing until it burst back into life last year.

The new fire has a good supply of fuel and shall continue to burn until Im turned into real ashes and spread to the 4 winds (either that or used to grit the path in the winter)

Fletching
10-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Me, Army Cadets when I was a kid, tramping round Europe with no money when I was 18-20 and national service in the SADF (http://home.comcast.net/~debale/sadf/1984.htm) (not my blog) doing recce in Angola with bugger-all support and/or provisions. I've always been a 'bush-bum', but usually on the no-money end of things. Now in my 'post-adolescent' years (don't say a word Martin), It's a way of unloading all the usual work ethic and getting back to basic 'staying alive skills', which IMHO refreshes your soul. Also, I've always been interested in the outdoor life even though I 'fell' into a career path after being a mature student at uni that involves me either sitting in front of a computer all day, managing projects or attending meetings in office parks (as the Americans call them). Recently, I've tried to re-awaken my basic desire to get back to nature (along with a renewed interest in early anthropology). Oh, and RM - thanks Ray.

Over the past year or so, I've had a back operation due to a sailing accident - another passion of mine is boats - (where I was instructed to 'fend-off' a 36' yacht when a novice suddenly went into full throttle just at the crucial stage), and might need another one (I'm still contracting when I can) but, hopefully, I'll be fixed-up this year so I can concentrate on a couple of medium-term plans - a cabin in a nice bit of secluded Canada and a canal boat so I can roam the waterways (and stop-off in the countryside along the way). Wish me luck!

Steve :)

p.s. During basic, I was trained as a signaler like Ben Casey as well. We've both got f*cked backs - must be 'transmitter-karma'!

JEEP
11-01-2012, 07:18 AM
I grew up on a farm with a lot of forerest to it, mostly spruce, but some oak.

Nature has been my playground since I could walk.

luresalive
11-01-2012, 07:26 AM
My father and grandfather,one taught me to fish, the other to forage and I have continued with both to this day.

tadpole
11-01-2012, 07:42 AM
To be honest, I’m not sure. My Grandfather told me of his youthful adventures (including walking from Leek to London to sign up for the royal flying corp. when he was 15 or 16) he also showed me how to make/repair split cane rods for fishing.
A kid my age with whom I went to school, was a wild camper of the old style and during the summer holidays the two of us would take a tarp, a frying pan, a couple of tins of sausage and beans and a couple of blankets and vanish into the local country side for a few days or a week. When I was 15 I was lucky enough to meet a chap from Australia, who taught me (for three weeks) that it is all in the mind, you can do almost anything if you are mentally prepared, from walking 25 miles in a single day, to camping with only what you carry in your pockets. It’s all down to your attitude. Ray Mears from his country file programmes, to his walking unsupported across half of Africa with this then ex-Girlfriend. And more recently people in this and other forums that support numpties like me in our endeavours to just get out and do it. You’re all inspiring, well most of you anyway

GwersyllaCnau
11-01-2012, 08:41 AM
As a kid my father always took me camping and taught me how to 'improvise'. My interest is not exactly in bushcraft but more backpacking and being able to survive if the proverbial hit the fan. Oh and Authur Ransome played a big part in firing my interest in outdoor 'adventure', I read Swallows and Amazons when I was 9 and have been obsessed with the lake district, hill walking, boats, ADVENTURE ever since.

Dan XF
11-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Probably watching Eddie Magee on television in the 70's and living next to an old abandoned airfield that had been reclaimed by nature. I used to watch his shows and be amazes by the idea of walking out into the woodland with next to nothing and just living on your whits. I was lucky enough to have a pet dog that loved being out all day so during warmer months I would get up and head off in to the woods and not return until the sun set. When I left school I went into a few jobs from the building trade through to local govt. I was looking for something and joined the TA and was lucky enough to end up with two ex regular instructors who talked me in to going in the regulars. Loved that and ended up learning a lot of field craft working in 2 man teams doing close target recces for the Int Cell. I went back to the TA and my boss was Richard Holmes who saw a potential in me I'd never seen and asked if I'd thought about being an Officer. With his help and support I did Officer Selection and ended up on a 3 year Short Service Commission. Back in to the woods and plenty of time on Dartmoor, The Brecon Beacons and Snowdonia later I was getting pretty good at the idea of LNT. I did fail Special Forces Selection but at least I had a go at it and was invited back for another try but decided I wasn't really up to the job. Eddie Magee and his No Need To Die book and TV Show started it but Cpl Coombes, Cpl Carter, Sgt Evans and Lt Col Holmes all inspired me in ways that can't be put in to words in a language as unpoetic as English. I'm hoping that as my son gets older my wife will allow him to spend whole days out in the woods, it's an apprenticeship that has such fine rewards.

Metal mug
11-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Living near a big ol' wood. :)

Ben Casey
11-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Steve :) p.s. During basic, I was trained as a signaler like Ben Casey as well. We've both got f*cked backs - must be 'transmitter-karma'!

It must have been all the heavy radios we had to run around with mate LOL Or the radiation from them :D

LandRoverMatt
11-01-2012, 03:24 PM
this website and Ray Mears got me into bushcraft and getting outdoors more :D

wescobts
12-01-2012, 12:15 AM
I would have to say Ray Mears. I was in the U.S. Army, but actually that kind of turned me off the outdoors, they kind have a way of ruining a good thing :war:

But I always liked camping and really loved knives ,axes, and machetes, add in a couple of Ray Mears vids from youtube and here I am.

Realearner
12-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Cant put it down to any one thing, always played in the country side as a kid and done the usual building camps, used a couple of old carving knives etc.
Recently just wanting to get away from the urban sprawl, and love making things and generally playing again.
Love youtube as so educational.

FishyFolk
18-04-2012, 12:40 PM
At age 6, my dad gave me a Helle scout knife, and since then I headed into the forest instead of going to the football fields...
It must have helped that we went camping a lot when we were kids as well, and then it was the army.

ElementOwl
18-04-2012, 01:12 PM
My folks always encouraged me to go out as a kid. We lived on the outskirts of a town in Lancashire and I found if I went towards town I ended up in playing cat & mouse with various roaming thugs & their mates. So i took to walking the other way on the roads to the villages of the rural areas. It was there I bumped into the local policeman. He was a pain in the backside and simply wouldn't accept I was not intending to get up to any mischief. After a few run-ins with him I took to leaving the roads and heading for the remote areas such as the moors or woodlands.

There I found things to my liking. I rarely met anyone and when I did they were nearly always polite and friendly. I guess it may have been negative influences to send me out into nature, but I continue to enjoy my wanders and learn something every trip.

comanighttrain
18-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Ray Mears...especially the story of the Bielski partisans he did a show on....

more lately Les Stroud.. who actually puts his money where his mouth is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bielski_partisans

Tony1948
18-04-2012, 01:48 PM
A little tyk that I was told not to play with has a ten year old becaues he came from the other sid of the street.Over the next ten years or so we were over the woods all our spair time.

Marvell
18-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Lofty and his book initially, then followed by Ray Mears who I soon lost favour with. People I met at Natural Bushcraft meets and ultimately the RV sort of rounded it all off nicely. I too prefer Les Stroud these days.

ANGOF
18-04-2012, 10:06 PM
The now retired National Trust warden who used to teach us stuff for our scout badges. Later in life helped me out by getting me a job on a trust run farm when i went off the tracks a bit. A big nod to Ray Mears as well of course.

AL...
19-04-2012, 09:20 AM
My Uncle who was a trapper for the forestry comission (Spelling sucks I know)
I used to get sent out to stay with him and my aunt over the school holidays and he used to take me with him.
I learned so much from that wonderful guy and its stayed with me .
When my kids came into this world I took them camping fishing shooting and birdwatching. Sometimes staying out with them over night so they could hear the sounds of the woods.
I Live in a city where there are plenty wildlife just 10 minutes walk from my house.
Latley its been great to go down the park and watch the otter swimming about in the river.

Cheers
AL

Pryderi
19-04-2012, 10:49 AM
The fireball survival leaflet free gift in Bullet comic and a 1970s scout manual my cousin gave me.

AL...
19-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Ohhhh Man!!!!! I used to be a Fireball agent too haha
Even nicked my Dad's baccy tin to make a survival kit .. That got me a thumpin lol

Cheers
AL

Sar-ian
19-04-2012, 01:43 PM
It all started with a bloke called Jack Hargreaves on a tv show called "HOW". It was he who planted the seed of outdoor life. I would spend hours out over the fields, with little more than a bottle of "water pop" some butties and my spaniel Pat. After my mum and dad split up I kind of went off the rails big time..... Fortunatly for me, my grand-dad was friends with a a polish man he had met after the war, and I was shipped of to scotland during the summer holiday. It turned out he was a ghillie, and for the next six weeks, the seed planted by Jack, was watered, and bathed in the light of knowlage this man had. He had fought in the polish resistance during the war, and had survived by his cunning, wits and knowlage. He taught me how to shoot, fish, trap, and above all to have respect for nature and all living things. I returned home a different kid and spent the next year getting my life back on track. The following summer I went back to scotland and had the time-of-my life. outside from before dawn till after dusk....and sometimes not returning till the following day. Sadly that was the last summer I was to go, as his brother was taken seriously ill and he returned to Poland. I still carry the values he bestowed, and sometimes when I'm out with my dogs in the woods and the wind whistles in the trees I'm sure I hear him laugh and feel his hand on my shoulder, so it is to Harry my teacher, my mentor, my friend, thank you...

Basha72
19-04-2012, 01:50 PM
It all started with a bloke called Jack Hargreaves on a tv show called "HOW". It was he who planted the seed of outdoor life. I would spend hours out over the fields, with little more than a bottle of "water pop" some butties and my spaniel Pat. After my mum and dad split up and kind of went of the rails big time..... Fortunatly for me, my grand-dad was friends with a a polish man he had met after the war, and I was shipped of to scotland during the summer holiday. It turned out he was a ghillie, and for the next six weeks, the seed planted by Jack, was watered, and bathed in the light of knowlage this man had. He had fought in the polish resistance during the war, and had survived by his cunning, wits and knowlage. He taught me how to shoot, fish, trap, and above all to have respect for nature and all living things. I returned home a different kid and spent the next year getting my life back on track. The following summer I went back to scotland and had the time-of-my life. outside from before dawn till after dusk....and sometimes not returning till the following day. Sadly that was the last summer I was to go, as his brother was taken seriously ill and he returned to Poland. I still carry the values he bestowed, and sometimes when I'm out with my dogs in the woods and the wind whistles in the trees I'm sure I hear him laugh and feel his hand on my shoulder, so it is to Harry my teacher, my mentor, my friend, thank you...

Funny how your inspiration is called Harry, same as mine and how they have had impact on our lives :-)

Dave

Martin
19-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Sar-ian, your story made me shiver. Thanks for sharing such a personal thought with us. :)

Martin

Sar-ian
20-04-2012, 12:22 AM
Funny how your inspiration is called Harry, same as mine and how they have had impact on our lives :-)

Dave

Hi Dave, maybe, something in the name perhaps, I think he had more than an impact, he changed my life......

Sar-ian
20-04-2012, 12:28 AM
Sar-ian, your story made me shiver. Thanks for sharing such a personal thought with us. :)

Martin

Hi Martin, you're just a big softie really, just wait till I post the soppy stuff, I'll ave you in tears...lol.

happybonzo
20-04-2012, 06:15 AM
I grew up on a Farm and the countryside was there for the taking. I learnt a lot from a couple of the old boys who worked for us

Pryderi
20-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Ohhhh Man!!!!! I used to be a Fireball agent too haha
Even nicked my Dad's baccy tin to make a survival kit .. That got me a thumpin lol

Cheers
AL
I have an embarrasing piccie of me wearing the fireball medalion... not a good look at any age :)

AL...
20-04-2012, 12:43 PM
LOL I think I still have mine kickin around in a box somewhere .... Maybe thats to much info LOL.
It was a great comic way better than the Warlord ;D

Cheers
AL

Roadkillphil
20-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Jason Stork Mountainous Adventures....

JEEP
20-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Rofl :)

ANGOF
20-04-2012, 10:22 PM
LOL I think I still have mine kickin around in a box somewhere .... Maybe thats to much info LOL.
It was a great comic way better than the Warlord ;D

Cheers
AL
How very dare you, Warlord agent and proud :) I do belive Fireball was Peter Flints cousin

AL...
20-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Na he wes Peter Flints Nephew. :D
My younger brother was a Warlord agent LOL
Bullet and the Warpord were the best comics goin in the 70's.
Nice to meet you Old Bean :D haha

Cheers
AL

ANGOF
21-04-2012, 08:45 AM
yes Nephew is what i ment :)
Quite a good wiki pages on Bullet and warlord
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_(DC_Thomson)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warlord_(DC_Thomson)

Still got quite a few Warlord annuals as well as a lot of 2000AD ones that i also loved

toodle pip :happy-clapping:

AL...
21-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Real Blast from the past there LOL

Cheers
AL

drewdunnrespect
09-05-2012, 01:02 AM
my inspiration was my grandad when i was six my mum and dad were taking my brov and sister somewhere and i wasnt allowed to go i had to stay at grandads and grandmas and well i was devastated and my grandad when i walked in to his crying said "cheer up lad we off to the woods tell grandma we will be back on sunda" and well that was that then i ave been a beaver a cub and scout. Also we would go for walks and alsorts then he died when i was twelve so i stopped doing it except for scouts the when i was sixteen i googled bushcraft and found bushcraft uk and the rest is history. then before i googled it i used to watch ray doing it and dream i was back doing it with my best friend my grandad and said to my dad wish i was doing that he said google it and then i said cant wouldnt feel right with out grandaad and he turned round and said he would want me doing it so why arnt i. well the answer is i did and i am

RIP GRANDAD hope i ma doing you proud mate in all thing because life hasnt been the same with out you mate

Hushwing
09-05-2012, 02:04 AM
Was always interested in wildlife and lived in the countryside all my life (bar a few years in a couple of cities). Probably the biggest influence towards actual bushcrafty things was the absolute nutter of a Scout master who insisted that we did fires, and knots/lashings, and boats etc most nights, and every year we spent a week on an island on Loch Lomond. Most summer Friday nights he would get us building something in the local woods and you quickly learnt to lash properly when you realised that you would be going down the same 'death-slide' (zip line) that you had help put up! The nature thing developed further with my stepfather ranger who got me involved with lots of wildlife and countryside 'stuff'. Talking of which I'm, now, going out to go to a survey site to watch for birds!

ChristerM
12-05-2012, 08:21 PM
My father and my grandfather gave me my first introduction to the outdoors. From the age of 5-6 I guess... Was in the scouts a couple of years, but that almost made me loose interest... :( (Too much religion and not enough practical stuff... ) When I was 15 I started hunting (Started shooting at 7) When I was 16, I joined the Homeguard youth's. Thats when I found out that my grandfather was friends with two of the sabouteurs from the Heavy Water sabotage. I spent a lot of time with them, and they inspired me towards an Army career and got me interested in the whole "survival/manage on your own" bit.
All of that, combined with an early interest in knife making and woodworking made sure the interest stayed with me... And still does!

I don't have any kids myself, but my oldest brother does, and now I'm passing on what I know to them. :) At 11 and 13, they have both made their own knives, know how to make fire without matches, make a shelter etc... :)

RobbC
12-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Ive always loved the outdoors. But it was both Ray Mears, and a close friend and neihbour, who sadly passed away a few weeks ago who inspired me to bushcraft :)

Robb

metal sean
01-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Being fortunate enough to of been brought up in an area surrounded by woodland,moors and the coast,with not a lot of money it was inevitable that my childhood would include bushcraft type activities (I remember building my first bivvy and sleeping out,albeit very wet due to the poor design when I was only 11 years old)...reading Lofty Wisemans SAS Survival guide borrowed from the local library was a catalyst for more and more knowledge to be gained,an ongoing process still today some 30+ years later.

delboy
26-08-2012, 10:00 PM
The fireball survival leaflet free gift in Bullet comic and a 1970s scout manual my cousin gave me.

That was odd, I was just about to reply to this thread about how I first got interested with a little booklet given away free with a comic in the `70s, but couldn`t remember what it was called. Just googled it and the Fireball leaflet is the one. I can still remember pestering my mum at the time for an empty baked bean tin to put various bits in, then trying stuff out in the back garden. :)

Old Guard
27-08-2012, 08:35 AM
EDDIE MAGEE, nuff said!

suggy
27-08-2012, 09:53 AM
My brother was always into camping when I was growing up and I got all his cast off kit as he upgraded.

Building "Dens" (shelters) and lighting fires is what every young lad growing up around here did.

T.V. -wise It was a Blue Peter spin-off called Duncan-Dares, Where Peter Duncan used to perform feats, such as...

Zip-wire off Blackpool tower,

Cross the Irish sea in a VW Beetle,

But the one that really got me was the episode where he spent the weekend in the woods surviving with Lofty Wiseman.T^

Next day I went out and bought a BCB fire starting kit
http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/survival/bcb-matchless-fire-lighting-set.htm

And hinted to my parents that I think we should have that big tin of new potatoes for dinner ! (DIY Billy can;))

Still messing about in the woods to this day !:)

Oakenwise
27-08-2012, 11:37 AM
I found out about Bushcraft on my own, but now that I've seen about 2 or 3 series from Ray Mears, I can definitley say that he is a very inspirational figure for me.

I tie the skills of Bushcraft, that is the practical knowledge of the natural world, with the world-view and lifestyle of my ancestors, and that is something about which I'm deeply passionate. As I said in another thread, Bushcraft and nature/wildlife viewing in general is about more than having a good time in the outdoors: it's about honouring the world, nature as a whole.

Pryderi
28-08-2012, 05:20 PM
That was odd, I was just about to reply to this thread about how I first got interested with a little booklet given away free with a comic in the `70s, but couldn`t remember what it was called. Just googled it and the Fireball leaflet is the one. I can still remember pestering my mum at the time for an empty baked bean tin to put various bits in, then trying stuff out in the back garden. :)

I went for the old Cadbury's coco tin it even came with a lid you signal helicopters with... when you needed rescuing from the back garden. Actually its a pity they aren't around any more lovely for bushcraft use.

For those interested
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_(DC_Thomson)

The contents of the leaflet!
http://www.paulrowley.com/pm%20march%202006.pdf

Bushwhacker
29-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Nobody, I've always been pratting around in the countryside, then another prat gave it a different name.

FishyFolk
29-08-2012, 02:32 PM
When it comes down to it, itæ's not a matter who inspired me. It's what inspired me. And the numero uno is...I get to live here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku5MkykbUbQ&feature=relmfu

AL...
29-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Stunning stuff Rune :)

Cheers
AL

bilko
29-08-2012, 05:45 PM
For me it was the Air Cadets, spent a weekend at RAF Valley doing aircrew survival course.
Then it was two books written by Eddie Mcgee. Trying to make whistles and cordage, traps and so on.....
Watching Les Hiddens the bush tucker man.
Watching a program on telly with Ray Mears and Jenny Powell being left on an Island and trying to Survive for a week.
Then it was my time in the Army.
And now it's just trying to remember what I had learnt in the past and trying to re-light that lost spark.

Chubbs
29-08-2012, 09:08 PM
That was stunning Rune, absolutely stunning.

Any idea who composed the music that accompanied it.

claverhouse
29-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Cubs and then Scouts, in particular a brilliant Scout leader, who was also a neighbour and family friend and loved teaching kids about the outdoors, and as we were a 70s -80s countryside Troop we were happily allowed to wear our various fixed blades as part of the uniform. When I came home from university after the end of my first term I found out he had been killed in a car crash, by two idiot CID cops driving like lunatics for no reason in the opposite direction on the dual carriageway who flipped their car and landed upside down on his. Although he died far too young he lived a great life to the full whilst he could.

BirchfireBushcraft
28-09-2012, 10:31 AM
John 'Lofty' Wiseman and his SAS survival handbook, that and growing up in the cold war. I was never a cadet or a scout, something which I now realise I missed out on, and I had no family that were so for me it was all book learning and practising on my own.
My eldest is now a cadet, and I encourage his bushcraft/survival interest as much as possible.

NeedABrew
28-09-2012, 09:53 PM
For me it started when I was very young with my dad (GRHS) dragging me kicking and screaming all over the country at a very early age. It didn't really take long for him to pass on some of the delights of bushcraft and instil in me a sense of accepting, and being accepted, by the world.

The thrill of the wild has lead me to many countries, mostly with high peaks! I've climbed all over the world and always felt the energy of the rock under my feet.

I have had the wonderful opportunity to meet several 'big names' - Wiseman included. I bagged Helvellyn with Chris Bonington several years ago along with a good friend (We did a charity walk as my friend had terminal cancer).

Even just maybe 4 years ago I was on a jaunt over Crib Goch and there was a chap (dressed in tweed!) and his grandson ahead. We exchanged pleasantries and broke company maybe half an hour later. A week or so further on there was a photo in a national newspaper of him and his grandson - Turns out he was on Hillary's team on the first Everest assent. He never mentioned it, he was just thrilled to speak with someone else as passionate about the earth and the rock.

Later I was to find that a chap I was working with had served in the same areas as Wiseman and fought against the Adoo in the Battle of Mirbat.

Now, it was never the combat itself that thrilled me, or the height of the peak that was conquered, - It was always the fact that we [people in general] can cope, manage, live, even thrive in incredibly adverse conditions. The skills and ancient knowledge that allow us to do so are wonderful.

I will add one more thing - Me and my dad *seriously* did not see eye to eye for many years. Since he died I haven't really missed him but this thread has caused some thought and I will say, probably for the first time in many, many years...

Thanks Dad.

OakAshandThorn
29-09-2012, 12:15 AM
Regarding specific people, Cody Lundin and Bear Grylls. Yes, I know, there's a ton of controversy behind Bear and his show Man vs Wild - but still, his adventurous spirit ignited Inspiration. Cody is quite a unique person - he has a grand aura about him...and his bare feet :) ! He's laid-back, more relaxed, and more connected to the Earth than many survivalists. Both are d*mn fine men in my opinion.

Unfortunately, I never got to know my grandparents (heck, I don't even know who my legitimate biological father is).

I do remember, though, going on a 3 day trip to 'Nature's Classroom', a program designed to bring kids (mostly elementary students) into the good 'ol outdoors. I LOVED it - wish I stayed there longer. ;)

There were also a variety of wonderful books that got me hooked on bushcraft/survival - 'My Side of the Mountain' by Jean Craighead was my childhood biggie.

Wolfmaan
29-09-2012, 01:00 AM
My Grandfather started me practicing bushcraft. He was in WWII and inspired me to be tough and be prepared for anything.

cuppa joe
29-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Bush tucker man.

bkemeny
21-01-2013, 10:11 AM
It was nice to read how all these great people got into bushcraft. :)
Myself, I was 14, last term in elementary school, and after it was over, we went on a final class excursion. There were all kinds of outdoor activities available, though most of my classmates spent their time staying in the hotel area watching tv, playing football and swimming in the pool. However, myself and two other guys were eager to try all the activities, so we went practising archery with all kinds of different bows and crossbows, tried fishing with no luck from my side, went on lengthy trips in the surrounding mountains, but the real breakthrough came when a survival instructor type of guy took us on an overnight trip. He showed us different trees, smaller plants, fungi and their uses, he taught us how to build a fire and how to navigate using the stars. We were astonished and wanted to learn what we thought was survival, but was bushcraft in reality. Next day we stumbled upon a military shop in the village, and bought ourselves some gear, I asked for a good survival book, and the cashier gave me the famous Ray Mears' Outdoor Survival Handbook. I'm hooked ever since, and I consider Ray Mears as my biggest hero :)

BJ
21-01-2013, 01:02 PM
As a kid growing up in the East end of London we used to cycle at weekends to a place called Wanstead and on to Epping forest. Climbing trees, lighting fires (cooking not arsonist). We collected newts, toads, slow worms and an adder that I mistook for a small grass snake. We soon learnt that watching the creatures in the natural environment was far better than capturing them. Later I started hill walking and camping and the more remote the place the better. I only really got into Bushcraft after finding this site and reading the articles which encouraged me to have a go. I then joined the Forum and was inspired. So it wasn't really any one person. I blame you all collectively, for which you have my heartfelt thanks.T^

Ehecatl
21-01-2013, 05:07 PM
I am still growing up in Kent ;) and spent loads of time outside as a nipper. I joined the Air Cadets in my teens and spent many a weekend in Pippingford Park (Crowborough) and Mereworth (Seven Mile Lane, near Offham).

I've always been inspired by Ernest Shackleton and his crew surviving in the Antarctic and of course there's Uncle Ray who has really brought bushcraft into our living rooms.

I continue to be inspired by the other members of this forum, from their knowledge (that is given so freely) and their craftsmanship.

M@

paulthefish2009
21-01-2013, 06:00 PM
I second the last paragraph totally.Paul