PDA

View Full Version : Sloe Vodka and Salmon Jerky

Dan XF
04-01-2012, 10:22 AM
I've just filtered and bottled my first ever batch of sloe vodka. It was going to be sloe gin but the Vodka was on offer and I don't really have the palate to tell the difference. It's a lot better than I expected and I'm sure will slip down easily. I've also just made some salmon jerky. It was an experiment but it's worked out well. I salted a salmon fillet yesterday and then rinsed the salt off last night. I then mixed some curry powder with sugar, cut the fillet in to strips and coated it. I threaded the strips on to a skewer which I put into the airing cupboard last night to dry out. Result; some lovely chewy sweet spiced jerky. Don't know if this is the correct way to make it as I made it up as I went along but it is delicious. And I'm sure that tonight it will go down a treat with the Vodka. Perhaps Jeep can help with this one. Pickled herring and akvavit, "let the fish swim". I got drunk in Esbjerg at a mayor's banquet and they kept pouring down the akvavit and saying it in Danish but I could only say it when under the influence. Let the fish swim or the fish must swim something like that.

Wham666
04-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Think I'll have to try the salmon jerky, it sounds so easy to do :)

Terry
04-01-2012, 02:28 PM
I have made beef jerky for years now and the best results were in a gas over, Now i have an electric oven and it just dosnt work as well. But your airing cupboard idea may do the trick. Thanks.

GaryBeaner
04-01-2012, 05:39 PM
I don't think it's recommended but I usually put my jerky on a rack on top of the TV:confused2: !!