PDA

View Full Version : Two very similar lighters - one costs an arm & your leg!

Kieran
08-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Ok.
I have found two lighters on the internet, these are:

TurboFlame lighter - from RonnieSunshines £7.99
Blue Flame Pocket Torch - from RayMears £40

I have concluded myself that the 'BlueFlame' is a better lighter, if you're not using cost.
But is it really FIVE times better?

Kieran :campfire:

£7.99
http://www.ronniesunshines.com/images/TurboFlame.jpg

£40
http://www.cgarsltd.co.uk/auction/images/blazerblack.jpg

luresalive
08-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Get one similar to the bottom pic on Deal Extreme for about £4

Kieran
08-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Get one similar to the bottom pic on Deal Extreme for about £4
could you send a link?

Martin
08-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Very good point Kieran. I've got one of the TurboFlame lighters. I bought it from Go Outdoors in Bristol and it is pretty good. The only problem I had with it was that, when it got cold in my pack on my recent trip to Dartmoor, it didn't work. I had to warm it up in my pocket before it would stay lit.

Would this happen with the £40 lighter? I sincerely hope not but would feel more compelled to complain if it did. I guess the only real way to find out if it's better is to look at the features and benefits of each and make your judgement from there.

Another thing I would add is that I have a very expensive tent, probably 10 times more than I would have to spend on something of a similar size but I love it. Its design features and quality of manufacture make it a delight to travel with. Is it worth 10 times more? Probably not but I could afford it and I love it so it was worth it to me.

It is also possible to spend many thousands of pounds on a shot gun or just a couple of hundred. At the end of the day, they are both straight tubes with a mechanism capable of detonating a cartridge, but ask the Purdy owner which he prefers and if it's worth the extra £000's and he will certainly tell you they are.

Martin

fish
08-12-2010, 08:34 PM
i got one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Z-Plus-Butane-Torch-Flame-Insert-Case-Lighters-/260618400116?pt=UK_Collectables_Tobacciana_Smoking _LE&hash=item3cae113174

fits in the sentimental zippo case i love!

Kieran
08-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Very good point Kieran. I've got one of the TurboFlame lighters. I bought it from Go Outdoors in Bristol and it is pretty good. The only problem I had with it was that, when it got cold in my pack on my recent trip to Dartmoor, it didn't work. I had to warm it up in my pocket before it would stay lit.

Would this happen with the £40 lighter? I sincerely hope not but would feel more compelled to complain if it did. I guess the only real way to find out if it's better is to look at the features and benefits of each and make your judgement from there.

Another thing I would add is that I have a very expensive tent, probably 10 times more than I would have to spend on something of a similar size but I love it. Its design features and quality of manufacture make it a delight to travel with. Is it worth 10 times more? Probably not but I could afford it and I love it so it was worth it to me.

It is also possible to spend many thousands of pounds on a shot gun or just a couple of hundred. At the end of the day, they are both straight tubes with a mechanism capable of detonating a cartridge, but ask the Purdy owner which he prefers and if it's worth the extra £000's and he will certainly tell you they are.

Martin

Thanks Martin. Very intelligent you are. :p
:campfire:

Matt
08-12-2010, 09:28 PM
I have owned, carried and used daily a Blue Flame PB207 for the last couple of years and can't rate it highly enough. Only this week the igniter started to fail so I rang this company enquiring about a replacement igniter, a very helpful fella took my details and then told me that he'd pop one in the post....FOR FREE, now that's service. http://www.hill.u-net.com/blue-flame-products.html

I was fortunate enough to get my Blue Flame for £20, would I buy another at £35 if I was unlucky enough to break or lose mine?....yes. I'm a firm believer in 'you get what you pay for' and I enjoy reliability.

Regards, Matt.

Bambii
09-12-2010, 04:34 PM
I dont own one, but as for most ray mears things your probably paying for the ''Ray Seal of Approval'' and his logo.

Kieran
09-12-2010, 06:32 PM
I dont own one, but as for most ray mears things your probably paying for the ''Ray Seal of Approval'' and his logo.
Sure are :p
lol
You may be able to find them cheaper

Kieran
09-12-2010, 06:45 PM

Martin

Could that be because the gas being a liquid in the cold? When you warmed it up, it turned back to gas???

JEEP
16-12-2010, 07:23 PM
I have just bought a Primus PowerLighter - together with a filling adapter, so that I can use my almost empty butane cannisters to fill up the lighter.

It is not a cheap lighter, but the build quality and superior ergonomy makes it worth it imho.

All butane lighters will have problems in higher altitudes and low temperatures. A good advice is to turn down the flame (ie. gas flow) in higher altitudes in order to get at better air to butane mix and to keep the lighter in your inner pocket or trousers pocket to keep the gas from "freezing" in cold weather.

Metal mug
26-12-2010, 10:44 AM
i got one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Z-Plus-Butane-Torch-Flame-Insert-Case-Lighters-/260618400116?pt=UK_Collectables_Tobacciana_Smoking _LE&hash=item3cae113174

fits in the sentimental zippo case i love!Wow, I didn't know you could buy a turbo lighter insert for your zippo.