PDA

View Full Version : My bushcraft anchors

wescobts
25-12-2011, 04:38 PM

As I walk into this "new" way of life for me, I realize I am so fortunate to have many pieces of gear which will last me to the grave. My anchors to bushcraft are my knives, I do have nice axes and a couple good machete's, but my knives are the building blocks, the cornerstones.

I thought I would show them to you, as many have here.

First: Blind Horse Knife-Large Cascade-D2 carbon steel-green canvas micarta. This one is my primary knife. It fits my hand the best out of all the knives I own. The handle is large enough with or without gloves, holds a fine edge. It takes a bit more time putting an edge on, but all in all a great working tool.

Second: Bark River Knife and Tool-Woodland Special-A2 steel-Bone micarta. This one is my secondary/backup knife. By all means this does not blemish or subtract from this knife. BRKT are some of the finest knives a man is lucky enough to own. I only classify this a second is because of the size, which again is not to slight this knife. It was designed this way and far exceeds it's size by it's amazing performance. Once on the hip, it disappears, you don't feel it and the sheeple can't see it. I have carved, notched, done kitchen prep, and cut many forms of cordage til my hands were too tired to continue. A2 takes the best edge I know, holds it for all the tasks I could ever do.

These knives are made by some of the nicest people I have ever met. They take great pride in what they do, and it shows. Although there are many great knives made from all over the world, I could not imagine taking this journey through the fields & forrest without these tools. Each step I take, each notch I cut, the people who have crafted these tools are with me.