PDA

View Full Version : First Attempt At A Tobacco Pipe

Adam Savage
21-12-2011, 07:53 PM
After getting into this pipe smoking malarkey, I decided to have a crack at making my own. After some research on t'interwab, I found that most pipe makers use a lathe and a bandsaw, to shape the bowl and stem. I have neither of these things, but decided to carry on regardless :).
I used Bubinga, for the bowl, and Purple heart, for the collar/band. Starting with a 2" x 2" x 2.5" block, I drilled the draught hole at 3mm, and drilled a 20mm bore, most of the way with a forstner bit, and finished off with a ball head rasp.
To mortise the bowl for the band, I used a 10mm drill. To tenon the band, I used a 10mm plug cutter, then trimmed off the excess, to leave a peg. To mortise the band for the mouthpiece, I simply frilled a 12mm hole.
Once all the holes where drilled, and tenon machined, I roughly shaped the bowl with a coping saw, then tidied it up a little with a 1" belt sander.
I then firmly glued the band to the bowl, and shaped with a power carver. After I was happy with the shape, I smoothed everything over, with several grades of sandpaper, before applying a few coats of carnauba wax and buffing slightly, to a satin sheen.

Here's a couple of construction shots, along with the finished item.

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0252.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0253.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0254.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0257.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0259.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0260.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/IMG_0258.jpg

Smokes really nicely too, which is an added bonus :).

CanadianMike
21-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Nicely done!

Ichneumon
21-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Cracking! Do your skills know no limits? One suggested improvement - change your baccy, Golden Virginia works best in roll-ups! :)

Adam Savage
21-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Nicely done!

Thanks Mike. Was hoping it would turn out better, but there's always next time lol.

Cracking! Do your skills know no limits? One suggested improvement - change your baccy, Golden Virginia works best in roll-ups! :)

My skills are very limited Paul haha. And yes, GV is good on paper (well, in it), but I tend to use nice, cheap Clan. For aromatics, I go for black cherry, and cherry and vanilla :D

LandRoverMatt
21-12-2011, 08:44 PM
great job Adam brilliant

bigzee
21-12-2011, 08:49 PM
I used to know someone who smoked Clan...hhmmm loverlee! One the other hand my boss when I was a young'un used to smoke St. Bruno ready-rubbed which smelled like a cross between road kill and a fire at a tyre depot!! Only the other day I was thinking that nobody smokes pipes any more, and here you are to prove me wrong. You're obviously a lot older than you look Adam ha ha.

bigzee
21-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Oh damned fine woodworking by the way mate!

Adam Savage
21-12-2011, 08:57 PM
great job Adam brilliant

Thanks Matt, much appreciated. :)

I used to know someone who smoked Clan...hhmmm loverlee! One the other hand my boss when I was a young'un used to smoke St. Bruno ready-rubbed which smelled like a cross between road kill and a fire at a tyre depot!! Only the other day I was thinking that nobody smokes pipes any more, and here you are to prove me wrong. You're obviously a lot older than you look Adam ha ha.

I smoked some St. Bruno the other week. It didn't seem that bad until I tried the good stuff lol. There's a few on here that have revived the pipe. I like it because it keeps your hand warm in the winter, when regular ciggs mean you have to keep swapping hands :p

Oh damned fine woodworking by the way mate!

Thanks buddy. Hopefully I'll be able to make a really nice one some day.

markal17
21-12-2011, 09:06 PM
that looks well smart mate

rossbird
21-12-2011, 09:15 PM
A great job you've done there Adam.

I recall many years ago I tried a pipe....my jaw ached so much I gave up all together:confused2:

Adam Savage
21-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks Mark. Might be another branch to the knife making lol.

Adam Savage
21-12-2011, 09:18 PM
A great job you've done there Adam.

I recall many years ago I tried a pipe....my jaw ached so much I gave up all together:confused2:

Thanks RB. Not sure what could have caused the jaw ache. I guess if you left it hanging for a long time, while doing other things, it might start to get heavy. I'm more of a "sit down, relax, have a pipe" kinda guys lol.

Ben Casey
21-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Like it I bet you will be doing the old Alpine ones next LOL

Adam Savage
21-12-2011, 09:59 PM
If I knew what they were, maybe lol

JonnyP
21-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Nice work that.. :0)

jus_young
21-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Never smoked a pipe before, it was something that I was contemplating and might just give it a go before I give up the dreaded weed. Nice work there mate.

Adam Savage
21-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks guys.
Pipe smoking is a good way to slow down the smoking. I find I only have a few ciggs when out and about, as long as I have a pipe every couple hours or so,

Silverback
21-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Gave up smokling 5 years ago but that doesnt mean i still cant appreciate decent craftmanship - nice work Adam

Adam Savage
21-12-2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks Wayne. My old man hasn't smoked for many years, and only smoked a cigar at christmas then. He liked it too lol.

treefrog
21-12-2011, 11:20 PM
That's a really nice job you did Adam, congrats...
I tried a couple new tabacs lately if you're interested...a) Balkan Scottish Mix ---fabulous
b) MacBaren Bourbon Whisky----not so good; burns too hot

Adam Savage
21-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Thanks TF, I'll have a look in the tobacconist tomorrow, for the Balkan.T^

jus_young
21-12-2011, 11:27 PM
"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs." -Albert Einstein, 1950

Roadkillphil
22-12-2011, 03:57 AM
Adam, that is a splendid piece of work!! I too made my own pipe, but with a full wooden stem, and no where near the sleek finish of yours. I used the same techniques for drilling and morticing (6mm M/T rather than 10mm tho)
I gave up smokin rollies a coupla years back, and got myself a McQueen Mistral 13" pipe for occasional use. Then I constructed my own for summit easy to fit in my pocket. I've gone back to smokin the Mistral tho, and I only ever fill my bowl for a smoke when I'm out camping... A rare treat for round the fire! :D

I get a pouch of G/H cherry vanilla and a pouch of a loose sold blend called "Jamaica Inn", mix them both together to make my own less sticky but still slightly sweet blend with a hint of chocolate.

Once more, great craftsmanship Bud, nice one :D

Metal mug
22-12-2011, 06:54 AM
Great work Adam. Funny thing is I made a pipe yesterday evening (spooky :)) .It's more primative than yours mind.

JEEP
22-12-2011, 07:41 AM
Excellent work!

I miss smoking the pipe. I stopped smoking a couple of years ago. Maria is extremely allergic to tobacco smoke. It was either her or the pipes :)

I never got to making my own pipes, but I had a rather substantial collection; about 30 or so, not counting the cheap low quality ones. My favourite tobacco was red Wattson's. My favourite pipe brand has always been Peterson of Dublin.

Humakt
22-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Good effort there on the pipe!

Pipe smoking 'tis a gentlemanly thing to do. I have a Peterson Churchwarden pipe (the big, silly long ones like in LotR).
I find that Danish Flake is a good tobacco, and has a great smell. I tried Irish Oak, but it's really high in nicotine - not something to have on an empty stomach!
Emmerdale Flake is a good one too.
I also bought a clay pipe at a re-enactment show. It's nice and short and the pipe, a lighter, and a twist of your favourite tobacco all fit sungly into a standard tobacco tin.

I know smoking is banned in pubs, but I firmly believe that a seat by the fire should be reserved for pipe smokers only. None of that cigarette nonsense. I suppose cigar smokers might be allowed access to the fire-side seat, but should lawfully have to give up the seat if a pipe smoker enters. That's what I reckon, anyway.

Adam Savage
22-12-2011, 10:10 AM
"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs." -Albert Einstein, 1950

Nice quote. I may refer to that from time to time :)

Adam, that is a splendid piece of work!! I too made my own pipe, but with a full wooden stem, and no where near the sleek finish of yours. I used the same techniques for drilling and morticing (6mm M/T rather than 10mm tho)
I gave up smokin rollies a coupla years back, and got myself a McQueen Mistral 13" pipe for occasional use. Then I constructed my own for summit easy to fit in my pocket. I've gone back to smokin the Mistral tho, and I only ever fill my bowl for a smoke when I'm out camping... A rare treat for round the fire! :D

I get a pouch of G/H cherry vanilla and a pouch of a loose sold blend called "Jamaica Inn", mix them both together to make my own less sticky but still slightly sweet blend with a hint of chocolate.

Once more, great craftsmanship Bud, nice one :D

I remember seeing your post on that. Personally I think yours was much better, as you crafted the stem as well, whereas I wimped out of that, with fear of breaking it lol.
I'll have a look for the Jamaica Inn, assuming it's not just available in Cornwall :). Thanks for the tip.

Great work Adam. Funny thing is I made a pipe yesterday evening (spooky :)) .It's more primative than yours mind.

You still have my workshop bugged and under surveillance then? :p

Excellent work!

I miss smoking the pipe. I stopped smoking a couple of years ago. Maria is extremely allergic to tobacco smoke. It was either her or the pipes :)

I never got to making my own pipes, but I had a rather substantial collection; about 30 or so, not counting the cheap low quality ones. My favourite tobacco was red Wattson's. My favourite pipe brand has always been Peterson of Dublin.

Thank you Jakob. I see your dilemma there lol. I'd be happy with a handful of pipes I think. But I can see why so many collect them.
Again, I'll keep my eyes peeled for the Red.

Good effort there on the pipe!

Pipe smoking 'tis a gentlemanly thing to do. I have a Peterson Churchwarden pipe (the big, silly long ones like in LotR).
I find that Danish Flake is a good tobacco, and has a great smell. I tried Irish Oak, but it's really high in nicotine - not something to have on an empty stomach!
Emmerdale Flake is a good one too.
I also bought a clay pipe at a re-enactment show. It's nice and short and the pipe, a lighter, and a twist of your favourite tobacco all fit sungly into a standard tobacco tin.

I know smoking is banned in pubs, but I firmly believe that a seat by the fire should be reserved for pipe smokers only. None of that cigarette nonsense. I suppose cigar smokers might be allowed access to the fire-side seat, but should lawfully have to give up the seat if a pipe smoker enters. That's what I reckon, anyway.

I like your way of thinking there buddy. I'm known to smoke the odd cigar too, so it seems like the most logically solution :D
I have dug up many clay pipes, in the past (from the past :)), and wondered how easy it would be to make one. May have a go at that some time.

Ben Casey
22-12-2011, 10:30 AM
If I knew what they were, maybe lol

I will try and get you a pic mate :D

Dan XF
22-12-2011, 10:35 AM
I like the look of all this, reminds of the photos of Scott's men prepping for their fateful exped. Every picture has someone smoking a pipe in it. Of course he was sponsored by many companies and he knew the power of product placement long before the Americans had invented the phrase. I had a boss who smoked a pipe and it always semmed to smell of some kind of cherry brandy, very nice. I'm at the age where I might consider getting a pipe and looking for some black cherry tobacco. Smells nicer than the old King Edward cigars I used to smoke. Has anyone here tried a Monte Christo No 7? Always wanted to but a little out of my price range to be honest.

Roadkillphil
22-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Gawith and Hogarth do a similar tobacco to Jamaica Inn called 'Bobs Choc' or 'Bobs Flake'
I like the cherry vanilla, but on its own I find it a bit sweet.

Cheers about my pipe, it wasn't the most quality of constructions and I started smokin he b4 finishing it! The stem was a pain in the butt as I didn't have airplane drill bits so I had to drill from both ends and meet in the middle....

All the best

Phil

markal17
22-12-2011, 10:54 AM
im waiting for yer to make the backy to go with it mate lol

Adam Savage
22-12-2011, 03:55 PM
I like the look of all this, reminds of the photos of Scott's men prepping for their fateful exped. Every picture has someone smoking a pipe in it. Of course he was sponsored by many companies and he knew the power of product placement long before the Americans had invented the phrase. I had a boss who smoked a pipe and it always semmed to smell of some kind of cherry brandy, very nice. I'm at the age where I might consider getting a pipe and looking for some black cherry tobacco. Smells nicer than the old King Edward cigars I used to smoke. Has anyone here tried a Monte Christo No 7? Always wanted to but a little out of my price range to be honest.

Very well bought up there. Nothing beats a good bit of history related, outdoor pursuits related, product placement, pipery :)
If only I had the drive of Scott and his men...:confused:

Gawith and Hogarth do a similar tobacco to Jamaica Inn called 'Bobs Choc' or 'Bobs Flake'
I like the cherry vanilla, but on its own I find it a bit sweet.

Cheers about my pipe, it wasn't the most quality of constructions and I started smokin he b4 finishing it! The stem was a pain in the butt as I didn't have airplane drill bits so I had to drill from both ends and meet in the middle....

All the best

Phil

I saw a few articles, where folk have used elder stems, for the...erm...stem. Using a wire coat hanger to poke out the pith.

I checked the local baccy shop, but they didn't have anything similar, so ended up buying more black cherry, and some choc 'o' mint too :)
Maybe try mixing the two, see what happens...

im waiting for yer to make the backy to go with it mate lol

I have thought about it, but I would need a field to last me a week lol.

Metal mug
22-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Following the theme of the 'New cutter' thread prehaps there should be a 'New pipe' thread? :)

Adam Savage
22-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Maybe. But I would have to make a load more then lol.

Roadkillphil
22-12-2011, 08:20 PM
I saw a few articles, where folk have used elder stems, for the...erm...stem. Using a wire coat hanger to poke out the pith.

I have a piece of seasoned elder with the pith pushed out using that method. I'm saving it for when I make a bowl to suit. Apparently it is prefered to season the stem and mebbe not the bowl. if the stem is to green when carved it will shrink and then not fit right after a while... even if glued. But if you season the stem for longer than the bowl then the bowl will shrink and close off the joint...... apparently :D Pipelore rules! I could sit and smoke ma pipe for hours over a little pipe making conjecture :D

Adam Savage
22-12-2011, 08:41 PM
I have a piece of seasoned elder with the pith pushed out using that method. I'm saving it for when I make a bowl to suit. Apparently it is prefered to season the stem and mebbe not the bowl. if the stem is to green when carved it will shrink and then not fit right after a while... even if glued. But if you season the stem for longer than the bowl then the bowl will shrink and close off the joint...... apparently :D Pipelore rules! I could sit and smoke ma pipe for hours over a little pipe making conjecture :D

Sounds logical. I'll have to get down Cornwall way at some point, get us a fire burnin, and tellun'other bout our pipe smokin, whiles we be suppin on mead, and the like :)

Roadkillphil
22-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Sounds logical. I'll have to get down Cornwall way at some point, get us a fire burnin, and tellun'other bout our pipe smokin, whiles we be suppin on mead, and the like :)

;) T^

Adam Savage
22-12-2011, 08:53 PM
And you'll have to give me some pointers on both spoon carving, and that Cornish lingo lol

bikebum1975
23-12-2011, 06:40 AM
Nice piece Mate been toying on trying my hand at making a pipe one day. I have a small apple burl wonder if it would work for it? Not a smoker but toying on carrying one in the woods on occasion with me.

Adam Savage
23-12-2011, 06:45 AM
Thanks BB.

Apple is among the suggested woods, for making the bowl from. Should turn out beautifully too. If you're planning on smoking it fairly regular, I'd try and keep the wall of the bowl as thick as possible. Burl is full of imperfections (which is why it's so nice looking :)), which can cause weak spots, and burn though quicker. Not something that happens very quickly though, but one day it may. Last thing you want is to have a nicely crafted, personal item, that you like, to fail in the future. :(

bikebum1975
23-12-2011, 06:49 AM
Thanks BB.

Apple is among the suggested woods, for making the bowl from. Should turn out beautifully too. If you're planning on smoking it fairly regular, I'd try and keep the wall of the bowl as thick as possible. Burl is full of imperfections (which is why it's so nice looking :)), which can cause weak spots, and burn though quicker. Not something that happens very quickly though, but one day it may. Last thing you want is to have a nicely crafted, personal item, that you like, to fail in the future. :(

Yeah that would be my luck if I tried smoking it I can picture it cracking right away LOL I have yet to even split the burl off the log haven't gotten the nerve yet LOL only one other thing I'm toying to save it for is a part of a custom knife

Roadkillphil
23-12-2011, 09:28 AM
And you'll have to give me some pointers on both spoon carving, and that Cornish lingo lol

Haha! I'm no spoon expert, I'm not sure actually how its done, I just apply blade to wood and it all goes hazy from thereon in. After a while a spoon appears! :D

I can't actually speak Cornish, not even the english version..... I'm a northerner by trade!

cheers

Phil

Adam Savage
23-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Yeah that would be my luck if I tried smoking it I can picture it cracking right away LOL I have yet to even split the burl off the log haven't gotten the nerve yet LOL only one other thing I'm toying to save it for is a part of a custom knife

Whatever you craft it into, I'm sure it will turn out looking fantastic mate. Not sure if you've had any experience with burls before, but be aware, that there may be very little "usable" wood inside it, after you clean off all the soft bits. Sometimes you can get a nice big chunk, others you end up with a marble lol.

Haha! I'm no spoon expert, I'm not sure actually how its done, I just apply blade to wood and it all goes hazy from thereon in. After a while a spoon appears! :D

I can't actually speak Cornish, not even the english version..... I'm a northerner by trade!

cheers

Phil

As far as the spooneyness is concerned, I'd say you're the top man to ask, judging by the work you've done.

And as for the Cornish...ah well, we'll have to get Ash along to cover that lol.

Metal mug
23-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Just finshed my second peasant pipe here's some pics. (The bigger pipe's the newer one)

LandRoverMatt
23-12-2011, 12:49 PM
wow nice pipe's Jack

Adam Savage
23-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Top work mate. Looks like a cadgers pipe compared to the last one :). You're going to be asking everyone for a pipes worth now lol.
Think I'll have a go at making a peasant pipe. There's something about just using hand tools, that makes it much nicer.
Well done Mr Mug :D

Ichneumon
23-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Reminds me of Crocodile Dundee. 'Nah, that's not a pipe........................THIS is a pipe!' :)

Adam Savage
23-12-2011, 06:21 PM
LOL, mansized pipe T^

paul standley
23-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Nice piece of work there Adam, yet another feather in your cap (or pipe in your pocket..!)

I gave up smoking 15 years ago - best thing I ever did but each to his own so I don't preach.

Looking forward to the 'Savage multi-tool' with 3" blade, mini-stove and fold out pipe with integral tobacco pouch :-)

Adam Savage
23-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Now there's an idea... lol
Cheers Paul. Hopefully get chance to catch up in the new year some time.

Skate
24-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Nice pipe there Adam. Is there no end to your skills!
I have plenty of chunks of seasoned apple wood if you want some.
Apparently Thuya is a popular pipe bowl wood but it is a nightmare to finish as the wood is very waxy and really clogs up sandpaper fast.
Makes lovely bowls though.

Metal mug
24-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Top work mate. Looks like a cadgers pipe compared to the last one :). You're going to be asking everyone for a pipes worth now lol.
Think I'll have a go at making a peasant pipe. There's something about just using hand tools, that makes it much nicer.
Well done Mr Mug :DBoth of them were made out of firewood. :D

jus_young
24-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Remember kids - smoking aint big and it aint clever. There are however those amongst us that were foolish enough to start, don't do it or you may regret it!

Preach over, I'm off for a cup of coffee and a rolly!

Metal mug
24-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Remember kids - smoking aint big and it aint clever. There are however those amongst us that were foolish enough to start, don't do it or you may regret it!

Preach over, I'm off for a cup of coffee and a rolly!Don't forget the king Edward! :D

Adam Savage
26-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Nice pipe there Adam. Is there no end to your skills!
I have plenty of chunks of seasoned apple wood if you want some.
Apparently Thuya is a popular pipe bowl wood but it is a nightmare to finish as the wood is very waxy and really clogs up sandpaper fast.
Makes lovely bowls though.

Thanks you kind sir. Still haven't used the snakewood you gave me yet, but it will get used, somewhere :)

Both of them were made out of firewood. :D

OOOOW recycling at it's best.

Preach over, I'm off for a cup of coffee and a rolly!

I concur with this statement. T^

Don't forget the king Edward! :D

I hate smoking potatoes. :zombie-fighting:

jus_young
26-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Don't forget the king Edward! :D

I hate smoking potatoes. :zombie-fighting:

Found them a pig to try and light, even when desperate :p

I would imagine that these (http://www.lovepotatoes.co.uk/the-potato/potato-varieties/rocket/) should burn ok though :D

Metal mug
27-12-2011, 06:38 AM
Found them a pig to try and light, even when desperate :p

I would imagine that these (http://www.lovepotatoes.co.uk/the-potato/potato-varieties/rocket/) should burn ok though :DIt's a good site. Needs a forum though. :D

Howling Dingo
27-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Great job..!!

Kieran
29-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Adam, your crafting skills are brilliant.

What did you use for the plastic part?

Thanks.

Adam Savage
29-12-2011, 06:33 PM
Adam, your crafting skills are brilliant.

What did you use for the plastic part?

Thanks.

I actually cheated a little for that. It's an acrylic mouthpiece from a cheapo £5 pipe. :D

Ashley Cawley
01-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Smoking Notice

Ashley Cawley of NaturalBushcraft.co.uk does not condone smoking or think it is cool.

We have an obligation to our younger members not to encourage this habit which is very bad for their health. Whilst we don't want to ban topics that might surround smoking (like discussing hand crafting a pipe etc.) we wont facilitate threads that solely focus on smoking.

How do cigarettes damage health?

Cigarettes contain more than 4000 chemical compounds (http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/smoking/chemicalfactory_00508.htm) and at least 400 toxic substances.When you inhale, a cigarette burns at 700°C at the tip and around 60°C in the core. This heat breaks down the tobacco to produce various toxins.

As a cigarette burns, the residues are concentrated towards the butt.
The products that are most damaging are:

tar, a carcinogen (substance that causes cancer)
nicotine (http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/smoking/withdrawalsymptoms_000507.htm) is addictive and increases cholesterol levels in your body
carbon monoxide (http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/carbonmonoxide.htm) reduces oxygen in the body
components of the gas and particulate phases cause chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD) (http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/smokerslung.htm).

Smoking affects how long you live

Research has shown that smoking reduces life expectancy by seven to eight years

Of the 300 people who die every day in the UK as a result of smoking, many are comparatively young smokers.
The number of people under the age of 70 who die from smoking-related diseases exceeds the total figure for deaths caused by breast cancer (http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/breastcancer.htm),AIDS (http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/hiv_aids.htm), traffic accidents and drug addiction (http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/drugabuse.htm).

Want to Stop Smoking? - Here's a book we recommend (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/014103940X/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=naturbushc-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=014103940X).

Ashley Cawley
01-01-2012, 11:49 AM
-

(This thread has not been closed and is still open for discussion :) )

Kieran
01-01-2012, 11:51 AM
I actually cheated a little for that. It's an acrylic mouthpiece from a cheapo £5 pipe. :D

that's the way Adam!

Kieran
01-01-2012, 11:52 AM
-

(This thread has not been closed and is still open for discussion :) )

I might make a pipe, just as a ornament lol...
Smoking stinks though :p

Dan XF
01-01-2012, 12:56 PM
I quite agree. Watching my father die from his 10 a day habit and having tried to resus many smokers who were dead at a young age I can confirm that smoking is a deadly habit. We used to say that smokers all give up in the end.

Skate
01-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Does anyone ever consider the affects of campfire smoke inhalation? not addictive but probably not good!
Should we consider not condoning sitting round a campfire?
(reformed tobacco smoker)

JEEP
01-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Does anyone ever consider the affects of campfire smoke inhalation? not addictive but probably not good!
Should we consider not condoning sitting round a campfire?
(reformed tobacco smoker)

With all due respect; let's not go there! Thank you. Comparing tobacco smoke to wood smoke is like comparing drinking methanol to drinking whiskey.

We, the moderators, has spent a lot of time discussing, how to handle the amount of smoking relating topics, emerging on the forum lately. This disclaimer is the result of a long process - and a lot of playing the pros and cons game. We do not wish to wield the "hammer" like this, but we feel that it, in this instance, is a necessary step to take.
We are not trying to educate our members nor do we wish to point fingers at anyone. Simply, de we feel an obligation to send a strong message to our younger users that naturalbushcraft.co.uk does not condone smoking.

(I like your signature btw.)

Skate
01-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Thanks for your reply Jeep.
Part of me wishes to continue this discussion (it is a forum) but I have no wish to argue or hijack this thread.
Happy new year to you all.

Adam Savage
01-01-2012, 05:06 PM
I agree totally, that smoking is bad in every way. Don't start!

As with the camp fire smoke. It does depend a little on what you are burning, but generally, wood smoke doesn't contain anywhere near as much tar, nitrosamines, hydrogen cyanide, formaldahyde, and various other chemicals that are found in tobacco (there are around 12 dangerous chemicals in tobacco smoke, I believe, maybe more). Tobacco is after all a leaf, and you must have noticed that awful smell and taste, that burning regular leaves gives off.

Not trying to educate anyone here, but simply pointing out some differences :)

Metal mug
01-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Don't forget when you've made your pipe you can fill it with soap water. Just don't swallow the soap water. :D

Kieran
02-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Don't forget when you've made your pipe you can fill it with soap water. Just don't swallow the soap water. :D

haha!

Anyway.. Back to the thread..
Lovely looking pip Adam!

Adam Savage
02-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Thanks Kieran T^