PDA

View Full Version : Fire steel & Maya stick belt carry idea.

AdrianRose
20-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Hi Folks

I had an idea the other day about a belt carry version of a firesteel and maya stick set-up.

Here is a video of it, please have a look and let me know if you think it makes sense or not. It saves carrying around a separate box/pouch full of tinder and cotton balls covered in vaseline etc.

Its also good if you are in a pine forest with no way of getting the good tinder like birch bark.

Anyway, please have a look and let me know your thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLnUR5OXX0w

Ade

JEEP
20-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Nice simple setup!

AdrianRose
20-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Nice simple setup!

Thanks jeep. I'm a great believer in keeping things simple especially because I'm a bit dim.

Ade.

Roadkillphil
20-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Quality :D I like the idea of drilling a hole in the maya stick to keep it all together. Gonna get right on that.
Thanks for sharing

All the best

Phil

Terry
20-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Nice informative video, well done.

Ben Casey
20-12-2011, 10:15 PM
I like it :)

Proventurer
21-12-2011, 08:05 AM
Definately a "KISS" idea Adrian, just one small note!
You might want to avoid scraping your Maya stick to a point!
I can envisage you jumping over a fallen log with that in your pocket and inflicting a nasty wound upon yourself!

Dan XF
21-12-2011, 08:33 AM
I've just got in to the idea of a neck knife, I've added a fire stick to it as it seems so logical and now I see this. Even better. And I've just worked out why Jeep calls himself Jeep. And nice to see some buffalo clothing on the site, I know a lot of you are in to your all natural clothing but a Buffalo mountain shirt or special 6 shirt are just the best. Love the stuff.

tadpole
21-12-2011, 08:40 AM
You might want to add a folding knife to that clip. for if you have to dig in your back pack to get a knife to shave the fatwood, you may as well keep the firesteel/ferro rod and fatwood with the knife in your pack as well.

wescobts
21-12-2011, 08:45 AM
Great Video T^ You have given me a new idea about my set up, thank you

Proventure, you make a great point, pun intended ;)

AdrianRose
21-12-2011, 04:02 PM
I've just got in to the idea of a neck knife, I've added a fire stick to it as it seems so logical and now I see this. Even better. And I've just worked out why Jeep calls himself Jeep. And nice to see some buffalo clothing on the site, I know a lot of you are in to your all natural clothing but a Buffalo mountain shirt or special 6 shirt are just the best. Love the stuff.

My Buffalo special 6 smock is my favourite piece of kit. I have been out on overninghters at -19c with nothing on underneath apart from my chest hair and I've been super warm. I would sooner give away all my knives than my Buffalo.

Ade

AdrianRose
21-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Definately a "KISS" idea Adrian, just one small note!
You might want to avoid scraping your Maya stick to a point!
I can envisage you jumping over a fallen log with that in your pocket and inflicting a nasty wound upon yourself!

I agree entirely. The maya stick was rounded off after the film was made. Don't fancy taking a sharp stick in the groin.

Ade.

rossbird
21-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Great little vid Ade, good idea.
Keep them coming.
Tony

Dan XF
22-12-2011, 11:08 AM
I meant to add in my last reply, what is that knife? Looks a little Bark Riverish but not sure which make and model.

markal17
22-12-2011, 11:11 AM
great vid il have to have a go at that thanks mate

AdrianRose
22-12-2011, 07:51 PM
I meant to add in my last reply, what is that knife? Looks a little Bark Riverish but not sure which make and model.

Cheers Dan. Actually the knife is my own design. It's called the "Romany Bushcrafter".

I designed it and a blades smith called Duncan Chadler makes the blades for me. I then source the handle material and do the handles. The one in the video has Honduran Rosewood Burl scales.
The knife has a double choil design which allows "ordinary" holding of the knife for conventional use, then you can slide your hand up to the front choil for greater control when doing finer work such as carving or slicing as you can see in the video.

The "Romany Bushcrafter" is named after my maternal grandmother who was a Romany Gypsy.

Ade.

Dan XF
23-12-2011, 07:21 AM
Is that Mr Chandler of English Handmade Knives? He does some lovely work.

AdrianRose
23-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Is that Mr Chandler of English Handmade Knives? He does some lovely work.

Duncan's business is called Dorset Woodland Blades. Everytime I design a knife, he is my "go to guy" to have it made.

Ade.

Dan XF
23-12-2011, 10:02 AM
I am saving up for one of his woodlore clone knives. I think his work is very good.

andy202wr
23-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Great vid keep them coming.

AdrianRose
23-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Great vid keep them coming.

Thank you. I have been asked to do a video on different types of fire set ups so I think that will be the next video. Although I have just got a set of woopie slings for my hammock and I have been gifted a Tatonka kettle by somebody who is very dear to me do I may have to do some reviews first.

Roll on the new year.

Ade.

AdrianRose
23-12-2011, 08:09 PM
I am saving up for one of his woodlore clone knives. I think his work is very good.

I have done the handles on a few of his blades and have never been disappointed.

Ade

paul standley
23-12-2011, 09:00 PM
As others have said... simple and effective - well done, I like it.

Paul

Wham666
23-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Thats brilliant Ade, keep posting more please :)

Ashley Cawley
24-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Good idea Ade, thanks for sharing :)