PDA

View Full Version : where on dartmoor

darren6706
20-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Hi everyone I'm new to the forum so I would like to start with hello and great site.

As title says I am planning a trip in beginning of march but not sure where to start , I have been on dartmoor many time when I was in the ta but never as a civi . I am ok with wild and skills but I wonder if anyone has any good places to start I was looking at bellever and around there as it has both water and woodlands .
Any advice would be grateful.

Darren

Martin
20-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Tell us what you want to do when you're up there Darren. There are a fair few of us who spend quite a bit of time on Dartmoor and there is plenty of opportunities to do all sorts.

Martin

darren6706
20-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Hi matey

I want to just go back to basics . To much tech at home and work .lol I'm looking to wild camp for 3 days 2 nights , have a little fire cook a rabbit I'm gonna buy from butchers as I can't take firearms with me. And just relax have a nice look around and was hopping to do a min of a 10 mile hike to camp site and same back.

darren6706
21-12-2011, 11:48 AM
when i said camp site i ment camp area we have decided to go in jan now not march as i want a challange and from what i remember it is cold :).

also can anyone let me know where a safe place to park a car is in the areas that anyone can suggest

Thanks
Darren

Martin
21-12-2011, 02:59 PM
The best I suggest is to park at Belstone and walk up onto the moor from there. Have a look at the OS map for likely camp sites but around Lints Tor in the valley by the river is a pretty decent spot. You should be aware that it is an offence to light a fire on Dartmoor and there won't be much in the way of fuel on the open moor in January or any time come to that.

You are not allowed to camp in any of the forests or woods on Dartmoor nor are you allowed to light a fire.

Temperatures on Dartmoor in January are regularly below freezing and extremely poor weather is commonplace as is frozen ground. I was out on my own last November with ice on the inside and outside of my tent. We also experienced temperatures of minus 5 degrees the same year.

Your time in the TA would have given you good experience of what to expect. On your own, safety is of paramount importance. Mobile phone reception is patchy at best so you can't rely on calling for help if you get injured.

All sounds a bit gloomy I know but then Dartmoor can be both gloomy and magnificent at any time of the year.

Enjoy your trip and let us know how you get on.

Martin

darren6706
21-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Thanks Martin great advice . I know about the fires I tent to do what they do in Scotland so afterwards you can't even tell there was even one there. There will be 2 of us so should be ok as far as safety goes. And as far as temp I know it gets pretty cold I have that experience on the beacons and boy that was cold . Thanks again buddy

darren6706
22-12-2011, 11:20 AM
hi guys martin has gave me some great tips thanks Martin, but does anyone else have any ideas? 88 views and only 1 person :ashamed: come on guys this is like fishing keep secrets on where to fish and what bait :jumping-joy: