PDA

View Full Version : Jon Mac's Khomus harp...

Jon Mac
14-12-2011, 08:09 AM
I have recently had a birthday, quite a big birthday. Sarah, unbeknownst to me, managed to find me an antique Khumus mouth harp... Go check out the full story at... http://spooncarvingfirststeps.blogspot.com/ ...J

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CtdNmzlhmWc

Tony1948
14-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Verry good Jon,Oh and a happy birthday for when it was? looks like the chork enjoyed it aswell LOL:happy-clapping:

Jon Mac
14-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Verry good Jon,Oh and a happy birthday for when it was? looks like the chork enjoyed it aswell LOL:happy-clapping:

Thanks for the birthday wishes...Glad you enjoyed the harp...J

CanadianMike
14-12-2011, 11:24 AM
I used to have one and never got the hang of it, and found it rattled my teeth a bit too much, so didn't get far with it. Is cool that you can make it sound like a didge!

luresalive
14-12-2011, 01:34 PM
nice one

Jon Mac
14-12-2011, 03:32 PM
I used to have one and never got the hang of it, and found it rattled my teeth a bit too much, so didn't get far with it. Is cool that you can make it sound like a didge!

Shame you didn't perceiver Mike...It's a great little instrument when you get to know it better... Perhaps your harp was quite large, a Bass...My Khomus is tiny in comparison to my large Bass harp, the smaller the harp the more versatile. And less teeth jangling. I taught some Didge players how to harp some years ago. I got them to hold a small shaker in their plucking hand, worked well...Cheers Mike...J

Jon Mac
14-12-2011, 03:33 PM
nice one

Cheers...J

CanadianMike
15-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Shame you didn't perceiver Mike...It's a great little instrument when you get to know it better... Perhaps your harp was quite large, a Bass...My Khomus is tiny in comparison to my large Bass harp, the smaller the harp the more versatile. And less teeth jangling. I taught some Didge players how to harp some years ago. I got them to hold a small shaker in their plucking hand, worked well...Cheers Mike...J

I've always had a pile of instruments around, many guitars, harmonicas, didge, a few bagpipe chanters, etc. and somehow ended up with one of those mouth harps (looks like about the same size as yours, maybe 4" long?) at some point. A good friend was decent with one, guess he showed me wrong but I ended up getting the teeth jangling and thought, "If that's the way to play it, then no thanks". Lol, anyways, at the time, I was largely focused on another type of harp, amplified blues harmonica. And slide guitar.

Woodwose
16-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Nice Harp. John When do you run your courses?
I wish I hadn't looked at the Pinewood forge knives from your blog. Very nice.

:off-topic: Can anyone remember tins of Harp lager?

Ben Casey
16-12-2011, 10:38 AM
:off-topic: Can anyone remember tins of Harp lager?

I CAN Boom Boom LOL

rossbird
16-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Enjoyed the music Jon...sounded somewhat shamanistic, to my untrained ear.
Hope you had a great Birthday bash,
Tony

Woodwose
17-12-2011, 09:27 AM
I CAN Boom Boom LOL

:rolleyes::D

Shewie
31-01-2012, 05:02 PM
I need one of these :)

andy202wr
10-02-2012, 05:10 PM
That looks and sounds fantastic. Had to watch / listen to it twice as I fell assleep halfway through the first one. I need to get me one off those.

Jon. What is the best one to get to start off with.

Thanks for the video Jon.

Jon Mac
11-02-2012, 07:44 AM
One can purchase cheep harps for about £4 in most musical instrument shops. They are fine and a good place to start. My harp is from the Alti mountains and made of Brass, not steel. It has a much better sustain than the cheaper ones. There is a link to the shop in London where Sarah bought it on the blog post.
Happy days.
J