PDA

View Full Version : SF Sabre 60/100 - where can I try one for size?

gemgenie
07-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help - ive been wanting to get a new pack and after looking a quite a few packs and reviews I think ive settled on the Karrimor SF Sabre 60/100 with the yolk and side pockets.

Problem being is its pretty pricey and if im going to be spending that amount of cash I want to be able to try one out first to see how it fits. Im a female 5 foot 3 and a half inches tall (the half inches count when your a short arse like me :p ), and my main concern is that it will not fit properly.

Does anyone know of anywhere that stocks them round the Sheffield area where I would be able to go and try one?

Martin
21-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Hi Gemgenie, sorry it's taken a while to reply to your question, I hope it's still relevant.

I'm afraid I don't know anywhere that stocks the pack you're looking at in the Sheffield area but I would be very surprised if it would fit your diminutive stature. Of course, they always say the only way to tell if a pack is the right size for you is to wear it, but most shops are reluctant to let you borrow one of their rucksacks and take it out for a couple of days. Would it be possible to borrow one for a while to get the size of it? Have you already got a pack that fits that you can compare sizes with? If not, can you borrow an old one from someone to see what the fit is like?

The other thing to consider is the weight. If you buy a 100 litre pack and fill it up, will you be able to carry it? I believe it was Einstein who said that you will carry as much kit as you have room in your rucksack for. If it wasn't Einstein, it could have been Socrates, or Archimedes or one of the those clever guys. ;)

Anyway, I have a several rucksacks gathering dust, and probable mildew, in my garage that aren't quite right for the job as I thought they would be, although they all get trotted out from time to time depending on what I'm doing and where I'm going. Ultimately, it's a case of trial and error to get just the pack you like.

Hope this is in some way helpful.

Martin

gemgenie
27-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Thanks Martin - unfortunatly I dont know anyone who has this pack so I cant try it on for size.

Looks like it maybe a trip upto the Lake district or something later on in the year to see if I can try it out. Either that or see if anyone has a good returns policy so it can go back if it doesnt fit properly

Fletching
29-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Hi gemgenie,

I don't know if I can be of help, but I recently bought the Sabre SF45 with the PLCE yoke and the 2x 12l zip-on side pouches. The Sabre with the pouches = 69l, which can carry loads of kit. I'm only 5'6" myself but find that this smaller pack (with side pouches att.) can carry sleeping bag, 3x3 tarp, 4.5x3 ground sheet, cords, pegs, hammock (or bivvi/1 man tent), hobo stove (and M-Kettle!), and there's still room for my Snugpak bag, food and a couple of litres of H2O. The side pouches zip off and can be attached to the yoke for a 24l day pack. I find this very comfortable and wouldn't really need to carry much more (for trip up to a week, anyway). There's also loads of attachment points so you can clip on extra water bottles etc.

Distance Selling Regulations mean that stuff bought over the interweb has a 'cooling-off' period of, I believe, 14 days (check), so you can order yours and if it's not right for you, return it. (I wouldn't normally suggest you mess retailers about like this but in your case, I think it's perfectly justifiable)

Hope this helps!

Steve

Steve

Fletching
29-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Hi gemgeinie,

A couple of corrections - Distance Selling Regulations (internet) cooling off period is seven days from receipt of goods, and the SF Sabre side pouches are 12.5l not 12l each, so the total with the 45l pack would be 70l. The pouches/side pockets are sold in pairs.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/about-the-oft/legal-powers/legal/distance-selling-regulations/

http://www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/acatalog/Karrimor_SF.html?gclid=CLvKkoimkaYCFYUe4QodhFp4ZA

Steve