PDA

View Full Version : Wetterlings Wildlife Hatchet

Erdbeereis
08-12-2011, 04:45 AM
How do you guys think the Wetterlings Wildlife Hatchet would be for carving spoons, kuksas and stuff like that?
Is it too small to do other bush crafting work with?

If this isn't the right forum, then please move it.:o

Thanks,

Erd

Tony1948
08-12-2011, 09:27 AM
To split you'r branch and get the shape it ok,but you are going to need a way to get you'r bowl,weather it's a crook knife or hot coal.If you have the axe try it,but remember you'r tools have to be sharp.Atb:rock-on:

RobbC
08-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Hey check this video out, their comparing the Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet, and the Weterlings. It shows you the pros and cons of each. I think, and im sure the vid toucheson this, that the GB is more suitable for carving as it has a more traditional scandanavian head.
http://www.youtube.com/user/siberianfury#p/u/6/m5ShKR_9_5I

And no, much can be done with a small hatchet. Although you wont be able to fell a tree, you will easily be able to prep fire wood, and you can split pretty thick, like a foot or such, logs. And they are fairly light campared with their bigger versions.

Hope this helps:), Robb

Erdbeereis
08-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Thanks!
I've already got a crook knife, I was just making sure it would work okay before I get it.

Erd

Erdbeereis
09-12-2011, 12:16 AM
How does mineral oil, or tung oil work to oil the handle?
I know linseed oil is the standard, I just wanted know if there were other options.

Erd

Woodwose
09-12-2011, 09:40 AM
How does mineral oil, or tung oil work to oil the handle?
I know linseed oil is the standard, I just wanted know if there were other options.

Erd

I find Teak oil or boiled linseed oil is good for an axe handle. A light wipe over with a small amount on a cloth will work, as long as the axe handle isn't varnished.
If the handle is varnished then sand it off and apply a light amount of oil on a cloth. Use another cloth to wipe it dry.
Mineral oil won't penetrate the wood, haven't got a clue about tung oil.
Make sure the axe handle is nice and dry before you use it.