PDA

View Full Version : Uses of a machete/parang?

Danishbushcrafter
07-12-2011, 04:00 PM
I own a Herbertz machete, and i have been using it regularly to chop poles with, for building natural shelters and that type of things (Obviously dead trees!).
So, i wondered if it kind of ruins a machete to use it to chop thick pieces of wood, i mean; is it only supposed to be used for thin branches?

I am afraid of destroying my Machete, so a little advice would be helpfull !!! :D

Pict
07-12-2011, 04:23 PM
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/8070/img1721s.jpg

I’m not familiar with that brand of machete but I do own about 20 down here in Brazil and use them for just about everything. Machetes perform best on green wood. The heavier blade machetes do well on hardwood.

Here the machete literally touches on everything you do in the bush, some uses for the machete…

Getting to the campsite
Clearing the campsite or hammock space
Harvesting the building materials for the shelter, poles, thatching, vines.
Cutting water vines to get a drink
Striking sparks from quartz for fire lighting
Scraping bamboo or hardwood to create tinder
Splitting firewood
Making friction fire and trap parts
Harvesting wild edibles
Cleaning and butchering game
Digging for water
Leveling the ground for sleeping

Danishbushcrafter
07-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the reply man, well my machete is a heavy blade type, but it performs well on green wood aswell, i use it for practically everything and i would always rate it higher than my axe, it is so much more versatile :D

markal17
07-12-2011, 05:51 PM
i got a knife that does most jobs it not to heavy but will chop wood its a great all round knife you could ask crazysaint222 he made it for me

Ben Casey
07-12-2011, 06:04 PM
I use mine for any wood :)

happybonzo
08-12-2011, 06:54 AM
See my post HERE (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?2479-Please-help-!!-Machetes)

I have tried using mine for the gralloch but found it was too clumsy and reverted to a knife after getting smothered in snot and claret :(

JEEP
08-12-2011, 08:01 AM
I have a Herbertz machette laying around the basement somewhere, I bought it many years ago just for kicks. I have used it around the house sometimes, but the handle quickly got very loose.

As I wrote to you in a PM, though, a machette is not something you can bring with you, outside of your own property, here in Denmark - and just owning one requires a permit from the police.
The police does not acknowledge the need for a machette for any outdoor activity here in Denmark - they do, however, accept it as a possible collectors weapon (the key word here being weapon, with the correct permits.

happybonzo
08-12-2011, 09:32 AM
I wouldn't say that I would be lost without one but I find a machete quicker to use tha a billhook; especially for cleaning up Bean Poles.
I have billhooks from Morris and Sons of Dunsford and they are very useful but as an all-rounder I find the machete more useful: Having said that, I have a Spar Hook that is at least 100 years old and is one of best pieces of steel I have ever owned

Danishbushcrafter
08-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Yeah, just so everybody knows, being a bushcrafter in Denmark is rather difficult, just look at what JEEP told me...

Pict
09-12-2011, 10:55 AM
I have a Herbertz machette laying around the basement somewhere, I bought it many years ago just for kicks. I have used it around the house sometimes, but the handle quickly got very loose.

As I wrote to you in a PM, though, a machette is not something you can bring with you, outside of your own property, here in Denmark - and just owning one requires a permit from the police.
The police does not acknowledge the need for a machette for any outdoor activity here in Denmark - they do, however, accept it as a possible collectors weapon (the key word here being weapon, with the correct permits.

Here in Brazil they sell them in big bins graduated by length. We have people who herd cattle in the neighborhood on horseback and most of them will wear an 18 inch machete on their belt all day, this in suburbia.

happybonzo
09-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Here in Brazil they sell them in big bins graduated by length. We have people who herd cattle in the neighborhood on horseback and most of them will wear an 18 inch machete on their belt all day, this in suburbia.

I wear mine all day, every day as well. When I had the Rural Beats Police up because of some broken fencing one of them was not too happy about it.
The reply of "Tools of the trade" seemed to satisfy him though

paul standley
10-12-2011, 09:28 PM
....I have billhooks from Morris and Sons of Dunsford and they are very useful but as an all-rounder I find the machete more useful: Having said that, I have a Spar Hook that is at least 100 years old and is one of best pieces of steel I have ever owned

I recently bought a KNAPMAN (South Devon) spar hook (8") which I got really cheap and that's pretty old and may well be very early 20th century and it was in very bad shape and I just restored it this week and the steel is lovely, proper old hand forged steel...

wescobts
10-12-2011, 11:49 PM
I use my machete here in the states with nothing but hard woods. I do try to keep my chopping to the little stuff. A bold HAAA-O ! for 1075 carbon steel, I have whacked the snot out of it and the edge comes back every time. I say use what you have, for what you need to get done.

wescobts
10-12-2011, 11:57 PM
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/8070/img1721s.jpg

I’m not familiar with that brand of machete but I do own about 20 down here in Brazil and use them for just about everything. Machetes perform best on green wood. The heavier blade machetes do well on hardwood.

Here the machete literally touches on everything you do in the bush, some uses for the machete…

Getting to the campsite
Clearing the campsite or hammock space
Harvesting the building materials for the shelter, poles, thatching, vines.
Cutting water vines to get a drink
Striking sparks from quartz for fire lighting
Scraping bamboo or hardwood to create tinder
Splitting firewood
Making friction fire and trap parts
Harvesting wild edibles
Cleaning and butchering game
Digging for water
Leveling the ground for sleeping

That is a sweet looking machete !! I find it so cool to being able to strap on a machete everyday, there is something to be said about that way of life T^

I know I often find myself struggling to get by in the society I currently live in because it's just so...MTV/Hollywood/entertainment tonight garbage. Maybe a move is in order for myself :)