PDA

View Full Version : The Bushcraft Show 2012

Mang
07-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Just seen this on Facebook. Dog owners will be happy

Press Release: The Bushcraft Show 2012

We are so excited about next years Bushcraft Show and are delighted to announce a new venue for the show…

With YMCA Lakeside splitting away from the national YMCA their new local policy is to not rent the site for public access events. As a result of this we have looked at a number of locations in the Lake District and around the country to find one that is... easily accessible and allows access to the space, resources and facilities that we need.

As bushcrafters we all hold dear the desire to have an open fire, there are fewer and fewer sites in the UK that welcome this, also as you will remember from last year the ability to bring dogs along is often an issue with venues too.

The Bushcraft Show 2012 will be held at Elvaston Castle and Country Park in Derbyshire, opened in 1970 as one of the first country parks in England. The park encompasses approximately 200 acres of open parkland, woodland, lakes and more formal (grade 2 & 2*) historic gardens. A nice big showground that is dry and level provides the perfect setting for the social area, classrooms, demonstrations, trade stands and field camping. Woodland areas bordering the showground provide woodland camping and the stage for woodland based activities.

The park has a Bridleway, Foot Paths, Cycle Routes and a super Nature Reserve with 6 Bird Hides, a Wetland Area, a Reedbed, Heronry, Butterfly Area, Dragonfly Area, Reptile Basking Area, Newt Pond and much more. You will of course see a wide variety of flora and fauna.

The lake, not normally available for public access will be at our disposal for the weekend, fires will be permitted and this year, dogs will be welcome at the show!

The park includes a Children’s Play Area and for those visitors who are members, a Caravan Club site, providing electric hook up facilities. Last year, feedback showed that visitors wanted to arrive earlier and get settled before the show, you can now arrive from 10am on the Friday in preparation for the show commencing on Saturday 2nd June!

Akin to last year we have some great activities and demonstrations planned with new ‘features’ being added all the time. John ‘Lofty’ Wiseman, author of the SAS Survival Handbook, which started the survival movement in the UK, will be speaking on the main stage and we have many more exciting things underway which we will release soon…

To book tickets call 0333 4567 123 (option 0)
Website: www.thebushcraftshow.co.uk (Currently being updated with the new details).

Ben Casey
07-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Will they have working toilets as it was a nightmare last year :D I will have a look on FB and drop them a message there but the customer service esp I thought for the disabled was really bad :(

RobbC
07-12-2011, 05:39 PM
I think im definatly going to be there this year, but il most likely have to drag my mother along, Who at best can be descibed as a 'glamper' :p

Robb

Ben Casey
07-12-2011, 06:06 PM
I think we should try and get a forum flag so we can let everyone know who we are :D

Martin
07-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Oh joy!!! Other people's dogs running around wild whilst the owners smile and say 'Don't worry he won't hurt you'.

Not for me thanks.

Martin

Ben Casey
07-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Well if the dogs are running wild then we dont need toilets :D

Silverback
07-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Oh joy!!! Other people's dogs running around wild whilst the owners smile and say 'Don't worry he won't hurt you'.

Not for me thanks.

Martin

Not every dog owner lets their dog do that Martin. Some dog owners have to put their dogs through stringent obedience ans stock safety tests - unfortunately they are in the minority

Martin
08-12-2011, 06:44 AM
Not every dog owner lets their dog do that Martin. Some dog owners have to put their dogs through stringent obedience ans stock safety tests - unfortunately they are in the minority

Totally agree Wayne, it's the ones who let their dog's run wild and expect everyone else to put up with it that stops me going somewhere like this. And sadly they appear to be in the majority.

Martin

Silverback
08-12-2011, 08:45 AM
I tend to avoid places where other dogs are running free mainly because they decide to come bounding up to my pooch who is either at heel or on a lead and invariably start a scrap....my dog is far too valuable a resource to be injured through negligence and bad ownership.

Simon
08-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Will they have working toilets as it was a nightmare last year :D I will have a look on FB and drop them a message there but the customer service esp I thought for the disabled was really bad :(

Hi Ben,

We will as always endeavour to provide the highest standard of facilities for all, last year there were disabled ramps, there was a dedicated disabled toilet and shower in the main 'Base Camp' building, which was always in service and there was access to other disabled toilets and showers if required.

We were complimented on the standard of the facilities and received comments that they were of a much higher standard to many other bushcraft/ country events. We will not be using the same management company this year and all aspects of the running of the show will be managed by our own team, if you have any specific requests on the disabled front, please PM me and we will take a look at how we can accommodate them.

I look forward to seeing you at the show this year if you come along, we have some great additions planned which we will be revealing over the coming months, take a look at: https://www.facebook.com/TheBushcraftShow

or register for the newsletter at http://www.thebushcraftshow.co.uk

Happy Bushcrafting!

Simon

Simon
08-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Hi Martin and Sapper ;)

There were many visitors last year who felt it a shame that they had to leave their dog at home... however, whilst dogs are allowed this year, they must be kept on a lead in the show ground and camping areas at all times, any fouling must be cleared up immediately and any dogs causing a disturbance will, by request be removed from the public areas.

The venue boasts around 200 acres of parkland, so there is plenty of space for dog owners to let them off for a run and play, away from the showground.

Rest assured that the attendance of dogs will in no way hinder the visitor experience for anyone!

All the best, Happy Bushcrafting...

Simon

andy202wr
08-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Hope to get to this event as its on my door step.

Martin
08-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Hi Ben,

We will as always endeavour to provide the highest standard of facilities for all, last year there were disabled ramps, there was a dedicated disabled toilet and shower in the main 'Base Camp' building, which was always in service and there was access to other disabled toilets and showers if required.

We were complimented on the standard of the facilities and received comments that they were of a much higher standard to many other bushcraft/ country events. We will not be using the same management company this year and all aspects of the running of the show will be managed by our own team, if you have any specific requests on the disabled front, please PM me and we will take a look at how we can accommodate them.

I look forward to seeing you at the show this year if you come along, we have some great additions planned which we will be revealing over the coming months, take a look at: https://www.facebook.com/TheBushcraftShow

Happy Bushcrafting!

Simon

To be fair to Ben, he did try to explain some of the short comings last year and seems that he was given short shrift, although I'm aware that this wasn't eveyone's experience. Check out his experiences here http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?1434-The-Bushcraft-Show-lake-windermere-Weekend-the-3rd-till-the-5th-of-June-2011

As far as the dog thing goes, I'm afraid that some dog owners don't understand the 'must be on a lead' thing and still let their animals run wild. I've seen it on far too many occasions. I'm sure the dog lovers will love it though. Have a good show.

Martin

Ben Casey
08-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Hi Ben,

Happy Bushcrafting!

Simon

Hi Simon
It is nice to finally get a reply as I never got one last year when I complained about unhelpfull staff who basically had no interest in me asking a question or the toilets not working and locked not far from where I was :( I will admit that the next day you supplied chemical tolilets so some one must have listened some where :)
I finally did find the showers and stuff after talking to one guy who was helping on the gate :) He was very friendly and if it had not been for him I would have left on the first day :) But then again I put it all in an email to your orga but no one had the decency to reply :( The nearest toilet to where I was was about a quarter of a mile away and as stated not working :( I did try to explain to people on the gate/tent that I may look normal but it is my legs and that where they had told me to pitch was fine I just needed to park my car close by while I dropped my kit of :( If I had not ignored them like many others did I would not have made it from the car park :(

I will be attending this year and if you search the threads on here I did do a report on what had happend :) I do not normally moan about events but I had been to the Cornwall RV shortly before your event and I'm sorry to say they beat you hands down in all aspects of the event/friendliness and everything.

It was the people attending the event and for me one person who I talked to who made the event more enjoyable :) If it had been for the other staff well like I say I would have gone to the other end of the lake and staye dwith some friends there :D

I wont PM you as this is an open forum so if you like feel free to post my email I sent if not I think I still have it and I can post it for you it would be nice to get a reply.

Thankyou

Ben Casey

To Ash and the Mods sorry if I have over stepped the mark delete the message and drop me a P.M. and I will send it all in a P.M. to Simon :)

Ben Casey
08-12-2011, 06:18 PM
To be fair to Ben, he did try to explain some of the short comings last year and seems that he was given short shrift,
Martin

Hi Martin I dont get what you mean I had a look throught the thread but could not find a reply from Simon :( But if he was apart of the Orga he should have or someone there will have recieved my email as I did not get any reports saying it had not been delivered:( Normal ways are to respond to email complaints like I said only one person from the Orga was helpful and it was that person that gave me the feed back that the whole system should have :)

Martin
08-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Ben, if you look at the post above yours, you'll find that I linked to your post earlier in the year.

Please re-read what I wrote Ben. I said, 'To be fair to Ben....' I realise that you never received a reply back then. :)

Martin

Ben Casey
08-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Ben, if you look at the post above yours, you'll find that I linked to your post earlier in the year.

Please re-read what I wrote Ben. I said, 'To be fair to Ben....' I realise that you never received a reply back then. :)

Martin

Sorry Mate I just got carried away with typing and sometimes things get my goat my apologies please accept.

Martin
08-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Sorry Mate I just got carried away with typing and sometimes things get my goat my apologies please accept.

:p

Martin

Ben Casey
08-12-2011, 06:36 PM
:p

Martin

LOL Anyway I'm going back to try again so I cant be that bad :P

Martin
08-12-2011, 06:37 PM
LOL Anyway I'm going back to try again so I cant be that bad :P

Make sure you let us know how you get on. :)

Martin

Ben Casey
08-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Make sure you let us know how you get on. :)

Martin

I will I'm hoping Adam is going to so I can use him as a pack mule LOL

BushcraftCambsUk
08-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Dogs or no Toilets or no I think we at bushcraftcambsuk will be going for the first time in 2012. If nothing else it will be an experiance.

Ben Casey
08-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Dogs or no Toilets or no I think we at bushcraftcambsuk will be going for the first time in 2012. If nothing else it will be an experiance.

It is my thoughts that everyone should go with an open mind my grip was last year I will be there next year I hope and I hope it is better so simple :)

Ashley Cawley
22-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks for updating us on this guys, I checked out the website earlier but it's still got the old event details on.

Glad to see it's moved location (from a purely selfish point of view!).. would have been a 850 mile round trip for me before, now it's 600 miles. Not sure if I'll make it, I'll check the calendar, you never know.

Ben Casey
04-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks for updating us on this guys, I checked out the website earlier but it's still got the old event details on.

Glad to see it's moved location (from a purely selfish point of view!).. would have been a 850 mile round trip for me before, now it's 600 miles. Not sure if I'll make it, I'll check the calendar, you never know.

Hi Ash if you cant make it I could go as your rep LOL I'm sure I wpuld do a good job :) Oh would I get in for free and have a badge to I will send you my CV :D
Only messing mate I hope you can make it as it would be cool :)

LandRoverMatt
05-01-2012, 03:54 PM
to far for me :D oh well In a couple of years time I can drive there my self.