PDA

View Full Version : Why Not Eat Insects?

Metal mug
07-12-2011, 10:01 AM
I've just finshed reading this lovely book that was written by Vincent M. Holt and first published in 1885. When I saw the title I knew I just had to buy this book. :D It's only about 100 pages long and it's an interesting insight into the victorian diet. To quote the preface....

"In entering upon this work I am fully conscious of the difficulty of battling against a long-existing and deep-rooted public prejudice. I only ask of my readers a fair hearing, an impartial consideration of my arguments, and an unbiassed judgment. If these be granted, I feel sure that many will be persuaded to make practical proof of the expediency of using insects as food. There are insects and insects. My insects are all vegetable feeders, clean, palatable, wholesome, and decidedly more particular in their feeding than ourselves. While I am confident that they will never condescend to eat us, I am equally confident that, on finding out how good they are, we shall some day right gladly cook and eat them."

It is a valid point though about the strange prejudice people have toward eating unusual foods. The book comments on how some people rave about the joys of eating lobster and oysters but turn their nose up at the idea of eating woodlice (which is a relative of the lobster.) It has a few recipes and mentions techniques used to catch the tasty little critters. So in summary if you got a few quid spare and want a l bit of a laugh buy this book it's great read.

Bushwhacker
07-12-2011, 10:26 AM
How much effort would it take to obtain a kilo of insects as opposed, say, to a kilo of rabbit meat?

resnikov
07-12-2011, 10:37 AM
How much effort would it take to obtain a kilo of insects as opposed, say, to a kilo of rabbit meat?

You would also have to factor in the nutritional content of the foods as well. A kilo of insects might have more of the minerals & proteins you need then a kilo of rabbit but may be harder to get but more worth it in the long run or just not worth it for the time and effort spent in collecting and processing them.

Going to keep my eye out for that book. Looks like it would be ingesting.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Bushwhacker
07-12-2011, 11:11 AM
If they were a viable food source we'd be eating them now. Farming techniques would've been perfected and it would be just as acceptable in society as a calfs liver on a supermarket shelf.

resnikov
07-12-2011, 11:41 AM
If they were a viable food source we'd be eating them now. Farming techniques would've been perfected and it would be just as acceptable in society as a calfs liver on a supermarket shelf.

They are in a lot of other parts of the world just not here.

David
07-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Saw a blog where you can see that eating insects will be the future. So much easier to raise and so much more nutricious:
The perenial Plate (http://www.theperennialplate.com/episodes/2011/11/episode-78-eating-insects/)

Not sure put is this link the whole booklet? Why not eat insects? (http://bugsandbeasts.com/whynoteatinsects/)

Metal mug
07-12-2011, 02:50 PM
In the book it mainly suggests using insects as a supplement to your diet. Eg - Snails eating your cabbage? Eat them. :) Although later on in the book it does mention making a 'snail preserver', which is a little area in your garden surrounded by bricks and covered by fine netting. Then whenever you find a snail in your garden you put it in the perserver along with some herbs for it to eat. After a while you will have built up quite a healthy snail population and can eat them when ever you need to. Also by feeding them herbs you eliminate the chance of the snail having poison in its system.

Ben Casey
07-12-2011, 03:16 PM
I think you should try everything if you have to but if I had the option of Rabbit or a worm I know where I would go LOL

Al21
07-12-2011, 03:51 PM
For those interested in a copy, it's still in print and available from Amazon here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Why-Not-Insects-Vincent-Holt/dp/0946014124/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323276467&sr=8-1)

Al

Bushwhacker
09-12-2011, 08:41 AM
They are in a lot of other parts of the world just not here.

Other parts of the world have bugs that are big enough and plentiful enough year round.

AdrianRose
09-12-2011, 09:09 AM
I do think that an element of common sense has to be employed with this subject.

As Metal Mug stated, the subject of eating bugs/insects is suggested as an "addition too" not a "substitute for" all foods.

I have lived in a dozen different countries in my life, some of which eat insects as a staple snack food ie locusts and scorpions. Also let's not forget food sources such as Widgety Grubs and guinea pigs that are eaten as a staple too.
I agree that if I had a choice I would rather eat rabbit than insects (despite the fact that I love to eat woodlice), however, rabbit is pretty poor as a food source nutritionally. I would suggest one does some research into a topic called "rabbit starvation".

Remember that we as "westerners" still eat insect byproducts on a regular basis, Cochineal being one example.

So for tea tonight it's woodlice and rabbit risotto then folks!
Lol

Ade.