PDA

View Full Version : My File Blades

Tony1948
06-12-2010, 07:57 PM

Thumbcrusher
07-12-2010, 09:44 AM
VERY NICE INDEED!!

Can't beleive you could make something so professional looking from a file!

Bambii
07-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Those are incredible blades!!

Those look brill, Thanks for sharing :D

luresalive
07-12-2010, 12:58 PM
wow. very impressive. keep posting the pics!!

Mouldsy
07-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Nice work mate.

CanadianMike
07-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Wow, awesome! Makes me want to spend more time annealling files rather than keep buying O-1. Hehe, but alas, files don't tend to come wide enough for some of the knives I make.

Tony1948
07-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Thumbcrusher,thanks for the compliments about my blades they were a lot of work i made the large and the black handle one at the same time working from one to the other,had some hart ache in the making.I made the blake handle befor i finished the blade then couldnt find a drill bit the right length so i had to cut it into three bits todrill it.Trying to get the deep file marks out of the blades took for ever,there are still some on them, If any one wonts to now the secrete let us now.

Tony1948
07-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Thanks to every one how has posted commits about my blades im well chuffed,any help i can give just ask

Tony1948
16-12-2010, 04:38 PM
http://my file blades

Ashley Cawley
17-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Beautiful work Tony! Well done bud :D

What a transformation from files, they do look superb.

....Trying to get the deep file marks out of the blades took for ever,there are still some on them, If any one wonts to now the secrete let us now.What's the secret!? Please do tell... :happy-clapping:

Bambii
18-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Tony tell us pleeaase :D

i used an angle grinder for mine but theres still a couple in there.

WoodTroll
19-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Cor. Great work mate.

CanadianMike
19-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks guys for the further education on UK terminology, already learned what 'chuffed' means, now I've learned 'brill' is similar. Good to add to my knowledge of Scot slang and maybe water it down. Hehe

Tony1948
21-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Hi all i just manage to down load some more pictures,my brace of moras, and my three file blades.If you click onto the three blades then scroll down to my album click on the pitcher below the other pitchers should come up,any questions il be glad to anser

Bernie
21-12-2010, 07:13 PM
They look amazing. How did you get that mirror-like polished surface?

Tony1948
21-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Hi Bernie, Thanks for the praise,to get that mirror finish takes a lot of fileing and alot of rubbing with different size grit papper to get all or most of the file marks out and then a lot of time on the polisheing mops

paul standley
21-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Fair play Tony - your work is top notch and I can only imagine how many 'man-hours' went into making them but even more than the time, I think you must have been dedicated to have done that journey.

As a guy who uses a bog-standard Mora Clipper and an Opinel I have to ask - do your self crafted knives 'feel different' because you made them and didn't buy them ?

Paul

Tony1948
22-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks paul,for your input they were a lot of man hours but they kept me from in front of the TV all summer.I havent had chance to use them in anger yet,I have two Moras I love them great blades, I also have a small Finnish blade that is very sharp I do most of my wood carving with them.As for your question do they feel different,you bet . I made them, its very satisfying to get praise from your peers for some thing you made from a some ones rubbish i didant pay eny more than a pound for the files at a boot sale...........Thanks again Paul.....................TONY

paul standley
22-12-2010, 06:06 PM
OK... so you've all got me thinking now...

In my garage I have something that I recall was called "ground Flat Stock" tool-steel in a couple of widths and thicknesses and about 300 mm long. It's been lying around for ages, I've got about a dozen pieces.

Is this the steel that can be used to make knifes and if so, is "ground Flat Stock" in an annealed (workable) state by default ? - some advice would be good as I might be sat on a ready made source of raw materials...!

Paul.

Tony1948
23-12-2010, 03:07 PM
Bambii,when you finnish with the grinder find a very fine file and draw it up and down the blade with chalk on the file then when youv got all the marks out of it,up& down with wet&dry papper dry,you then need a polishing mop on a hand drill..........ALL the BEST

Tony1948
31-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Paul, I think youve hit the mother load with that steel, all youve got to do now cut a peace out the right lenth then file to shape,put a sgandy grind on it, heat treat it,polish it, make your handles, pin them and sand them to fit your hand,make your sheath and there you have it,your own woodlore type bushcraft knive........................Only joking if you would like a tenplate of a woodlore type knive ill be glad to send you one with a tenplate of a sheath. Send me your adress on my private post boad............................TONY...........ALL THE BEST FOR THE NEW YEAR

paul standley
01-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Paul, I think youve hit the mother load with that steel, all youve got to do now cut a peace out the right lenth then file to shape,put a sgandy grind on it, heat treat it,polish it, make your handles, pin them and sand them to fit your hand,make your sheath and there you have it,your own woodlore type bushcraft knive........................Only joking if you would like a tenplate of a woodlore type knive ill be glad to send you one with a tenplate of a sheath. Send me your adress on my private post boad............................TONY...........ALL THE BEST FOR THE NEW YEAR

Hi Tony, I sent you an email with my address. One point though, I now realise that the steel I've got is all 19mm wide and looking at most knifes, this doesn't seem broad enough although my Opinel #9 is probably about that. Cheers, Paul