PDA

View Full Version : Can you identify this tree (from it's bark) in a Welsh woodland ?

paul standley
05-12-2011, 10:34 PM
I'm struggling to identify this tree species that I came across in a local Welsh wood recently. It was growing under some larch and next to hazel but all the leaves had fallen so I only have a photo of the bark.

There were a group of 4 small diameter trees within about a 6 foot area and all were around 3 to 4 inches diameter and around 15 feet tall so I'm guessing they are young but I don't actually know.

Up close, the bark looks like it has little 'cloves' stuck in it all over (clove shape dark shallow indentations) and the bark colour (not easy to see here) was a grey to light purple colour.

Any ideas ? - Cheers, Paul

Tony1948
06-12-2011, 01:22 AM
I now I now,hand up,sir sir,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,there wood'en ones:tongue:

Martin
06-12-2011, 08:04 AM
I think that's a Balsam Fir, although the lack of a canopy makes it difficult to be sure. Were the 'clove' like things blisters? If so, they are filled with resin.

Martin

paul standley
06-12-2011, 09:57 AM
I think that's a Balsam Fir, although the lack of a canopy makes it difficult to be sure. Were the 'clove' like things blisters? If so, they are filled with resin.

Martin
not sure if the little blisters were filled with resin but I'll look next time i pass them and I'll look up balsam fir, see if I can regonise the features....cheers

Woodwose
12-12-2011, 10:20 AM
It's bark does look fir-ish. If it is a fir tree, I wonder if it is dead or dying as it has no leaves/needles and the black marks are sap blisters showing signs of decay.
Only ever seen one grand fir and it was bigun. Have seen lots of douglas firs but can't remember ever seeing those black marks.