PDA

View Full Version : Bushcraft in Local Woodland Video

BushcraftCambsUk
04-12-2011, 01:54 PM
This is a local woodland just outside Cambridge. I had never been here before and was caught a little short but improvided with what i could find on the ground to make a fire. Also a few other bits like making and breaking camp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTTP-v-0_As

Tony1948
04-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Great vid Mike:camping::campfire:The wood must have been a bit damp?a lot of papper used:happy-clapping:I also notices that you had on you'r new knife:confused:did you buy the wrong side sheath you've got it on the right side and it's a left hand one isant it.Atb Mike onecs again great vid and remember..........DONT GET EATEN BY THE BEARS........TONY:jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy:

Silverback
04-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Nice vid Mike, particularly the soundtrack. The one the only Barnsley Nightingale herself Kate Rusby.

Good advice on hypothermia too. Warm drinks and carb loaded food. Avoid diuretics like coffee and stay away from alcohol. We lose 4 times more body heat into the ground than air and 28 times more into still water, 100 times more into moving water.

Hypothermia is one of my 'pet' subjects as a wilderness and outdoor medic :D

WombleWill
04-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Really enjoyed the video mate ;D

Will

BushcraftCambsUk
04-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Tony i am a bit of an odd ball as i use both hands and no i didnt buy the wrong sheath and yes i do put it on the wrong side that about sums me up. Basically i put it on my right because that is where i find it comfortable i draw the blade with my left and then i use the knife in either my left or my right hand dependant on what i am doing.
As for the paper talk about damp! There was a ground frost until about 11am i didnt start fire lighting until about 1.30pm. I find fire lighting a real joy but it changes every time i go out. Sometime i find everything i need immediatly and the fire blazed in an instant and other times it is hard work. Maybe it is me on the day being lazy or unobservant i am not sure but one thing i am sure of is i have never failed to get a fire lit even in an immense downpoor and i figure that is the most important thing. Although practice makes perfect and i am trying to get out more often now.

Thanks for your comments and feedback it is always welcome. :D

kINGPIN
04-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Cracking vid mate.

rossbird
05-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Informative vid Mike, thanks.
Good shelter with the new tarp.

andy202wr
09-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Great vid. Shame about the weather.

BushcraftCambsUk
09-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Great vid. Shame about the weather.

Yea the weather was bad but despite my cold i stayed warm and dry and had a good 8 hours sleep even if i was woken up once by the thunderous rain on the tarp lol.
At the end of the day i go out in winter because it is the only time that your skills are really tested when you live in fenland because on average we have less snow and rain than any other part of the country and there are no hills or mountains for the weather to turn on you unless you go north. So this video was really just me giving myself a little test and having a cold and doing it just stretched me further as i didnt have the same energy levels. All in all i was comfy and that is what counts. The video was only a fraction of the footage i actually had so maybe bringing you another couple of small videos explaining things that i did a little better.

mike

ianh
22-01-2012, 02:58 AM
nice vid mate

Ben Casey
22-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Cool vid mate I need to get a video camera :)