PDA

View Full Version : machete or axes waht you working with??

fatsnacka
05-12-2010, 08:44 PM
hi guys and gals

just wondering what you people are cutting and spliting with what works best for you i will be getting one or the other soon i think the machete but could do with a point in the right direction

thanks

Thumbcrusher
05-12-2010, 08:50 PM
You can't go far wrong with a Golok especially for splitting wood!

therealmow
05-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g__D5VuGGxE

MikeWilkinson
05-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Small wood hatchet (Brades Criterion) and a Folding Saw combo. Can do pretty much everything I need with that. Knock up a few wedges and can pretty much split anything.

MikeWilkinson
05-12-2010, 10:22 PM
I've got a Kukri that I use for Gardening and occasionaly in the field, prefer the above combo though. My old man bought it back as a present from Nepal, The tradional ones look much better I have to say.

dave budd
06-12-2010, 03:50 PM
this time of year I'm mostly using a Billhook ;)

If I'm splitting wood then I'll either use an axe or a froe, depending on why I'm splitting it. I have kukris, goloks, machetes, etc, but I like my billhooks. Each country has a big slashing-shopping blade created over the generations to cope with it's native environs, in the UK we have the hook ;)

Bush_Men
06-12-2010, 08:45 PM
My favourite knife is a Tora Camping Kukri.It does the job of a machete, a knife and a hatchet:

http://c6.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/o5705102b/7666963_c0JRS.jpeg

scorpian
07-12-2010, 06:56 PM
I use a k-bar kurkri as my main camp knife and it tackles most jobs, also good for digging small holes.

Steve

luresalive
07-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Each tool has it's place and each will have it's advocates and I use them all when the circumstance dictates, however if you want an all round cutting tool the best one I have found is a Leuku.

Mouldsy
07-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Have to agree with Lure's, I also take a Leuku for most of my camp chores

GaryBeaner
11-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Dave,
Just had a look at your web site and i see you actually make Billhooks (praise be!). I usually use a Morris 'Newton' for coppicing which does the job just fine. But...and a big but... I've always wanted a handmade Billhook, something that'll stay with me for a long time. Could you tell me, is the outlay worth it, obviously apart from having something nice to sit and smile at?! I'll pretend your advice is un biased !
Thanks.

dave budd
12-12-2010, 02:00 PM
is it worth having a handmade billhook over a factory made one? Well I s'pose it depends on the individual but I prefer to use my own one to those mass produced hooks I own from a practical POV.

A handmade one can be infinitely better than a mass produced hook, but it does depend on who made it and how it was made.

The two things that modern billhooks fail on is geometry and edge retention. Old hooks irrespective of the edge retention (a factor of steel quality and heat treating) had good geometry and tapered handle to tip and back to edge, so they cut through things easily (not having the thick mass directly behind the edge) and had plenty of mass in the back to aid in the whole balance and efficiency of the swing. Modern hooks tend to be cut from sheet or at best (like Morris') only have one of the two tapers (the distal taper), so allows good balance but doesn't have the edge clearance. Also the mass heat treating means they tend to be tough but don't hold a great edge, they also always need regrinding to make them work at all!

Some folk who make billhooks (i can think of at least one smith, who sell 'professionally handmade tools' and does this)cut them from sheet and do a reasonable job of heat treating, so hold an edge better than a mass produced one, but may not work as well as an old factory made hook because of the geometry. in other words you will be better off buying an old billhook and doing it up or a new factory one and sharpen more often.

The hooks I make are made to the same geometry as the old ones (they start thick at the handle and taper down towards the point and down to the edge) so work very well, but they have the added benefit of modern steel and modern heatreating done on an individual scale. So you can get the best possible quality tool that works efficiently (by design) and hold a great edge without being brittle. Then you need to decide for yourself whether the cost of the thing is worth it to YOU. Sure it works better than any modern factory hook and holds an edge better than any old or new one, but it will cost more like £100 than £30

personally I coppice with a chainsaw and sned with a billhook, but that's just me :D

horses for courses.

Metal mug
15-12-2010, 08:04 AM
If you don't mind doing a little sharpening you can get good old quality axes on ebay.

JEEP
16-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Either a Øyo Small Viking axe or a Strømeng 8" leuku.

I prefer the leuku. But, due to the legislation here in Denmark, I only bring it out when I am going to less overrun places. It is unclear whether a big knife like a leuku actually at all can be carried legally on camping and hiking here in Denmark. As it is not - as the law is interpreted by the police - a specialized tool like a kitchen knife, a fishermans filet knife or a craftsmans big whatever-knife. Machettes aren't legal, but an axe can be carried with no problems.

comanighttrain
27-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Got to say from my limited experience i found the machete to be easier for cutting than the small axe ...

OKBushcraft
30-12-2010, 04:48 AM
I have a nice old Boy Scouts of America hand axe clone.At least 50 yrs old. Wonderful steel, sharpens very nice(I can shave with it-back of my hand any way-the beard stays)
BUT!!! Most of my shrafting has been done with my Ontario 18" machete`. I have used it for shelters, fuzz sticks, fire wood-within reason on thickness, drawknife use, snake whacker, vine cutting for water, harvesting wild edibles, cane and bamboo cutting , and camp clearance-I know not very "leave no trace" but I am on private land. Would be hesitant using it to clean fish or butchering deer.
The axe-cutting fire wood, shelter poles, fuzz sticks, cracking nuts, driving tent pegs, I would be comfy with cleaning fish or butchering deer with it.

Here is an odd consideration-the Cold Steel Spetznaz shovel clone-sharpens nice, have built shelters with it (using it as a hand axe) digs nice too-(cat holes, Lakota holes,roots and tubers) splits small fire wood, fuzz sticks when real sharp, cracks nuts, driving tent pegs. I would like to try cleaning fish with it. This is a less leathal looking tool. It may be more acceptible for the more strict carry laws.

fish
30-12-2010, 07:39 PM
i have a gransfors wildlife hatchet and its a dream to own.ive built bivi's with it and butchered deer with it.

CanadianMike
31-12-2010, 02:33 PM
GB Small Forest Axe and Cold Steel Kukri machete for me, just yesterday dug out the machete and reground the edge (came with a crappy one 5 years ago when I got it, used a file to make it better but still foun it wanting), it now has a 16 degree Scandi grind for the 5" of blade in front of the handle, and the rest of the blade is a short bevel convex grind, similar to what it had before, but is thinner now. Might get out back to do some test chopping today. Am designing a thicker heavier bush knife to make in the next few months, rather like a small machete/golok I guess, 12" blade, 5" handle, multi-edges, etc.

ghost
31-12-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm another who uses a bill hook, I have found it fills the spot between a pocket knife and a large axe very well!

OKBushcraft
01-01-2011, 05:51 AM
I'd like to see that blade you are thinking of. I have something going on in my thoughts about 10" long, a cross between a golok and a Nessmuck maybe stretched to 12" but not sure yet. Keep us posted on how it turns out. Ah shucks, as it goes through the process from start to finish if that isn't asking too much.

Tommy
06-08-2013, 03:13 PM
The machete has no place in the boreal forest. The axe is the only real choice here.

People who say different, have no real experience in the boreal forest. That's a fact!

beermaker
06-08-2013, 05:00 PM
I've used axes of different sizes, a parang machete and a billhook which belonged to my great grandad in boreal forest and found each one has it's place and are useful for different jobs. Axe is good for felling and splitting, billhook is great for taking out limbs and branches as well as splitting and chopping, machete is ideal for taking off small branches and limbs very quickly, hewing, splitting and chopping.

My usual carry is a large-ish hatchet axe, a parang machete and a folding saw and this combo completes all jobs admirably. I don't take the billhook out too often as it's a bit of a family heirloom now!

Tommy
06-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Oh please! An axe will do everything a “parang machete and a billhook” will do and do it better.

Carrying an axe and a parang gives no advantage over just carrying an axe, extra weight for no benefit.

OKBushcraft
06-08-2013, 07:51 PM
I would like to present this side of the issue for a machete, parang and the like. Here in the hardwood scrub oaks on the edge of the Great Plains I use my machete and Thai Aranyik e-toh 12" blade much more than my axe or hatchet. I deal with more shrubs, clearing under growth to set up my hammock, cutting grasses, cane and reed for thatching. I cut trees down, split wood(within reasonable sizes) with my Aranyik.

Ive gotten to the point this summer that i usually grab the e-toh for most shrafting.
Should I have a base camp or a canoe I'd have the axe and the long blade.
What it all boils down to, use what works for you.

Tommy- no one seems to have limited it to boreal forest. If anyone came to my woods and said what you just said, I'd say they had no experience. The orignal post asked what we are using, not what others think everyone else should use. Let's not belittle each ones choices.

OakAshandThorn
06-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Definitely an axe for me. While I understand that a parang or machete is the tool of choice in tropical environments, I can find no use for it in my area, and I cringe every time I see vids where the person starts hacking madly into wood such as oak or hickory with it. Parangs and machetes were not designed to process hardwood.
That said, in the warmer months or when I'm 'going-light', I take my Wetterlings Wildlife with me. For winter, I use my Gränsfors Bruks Small Forest axe.
I know some folks prefer a tomahawk, but I'm not so sure it could stand up to the performance of a hatchet...except perhaps chopping.

Tommy
06-08-2013, 08:32 PM
@ OKBushcraft

I'll put my axe up against your Aranyik any day. I'll get more work done in less time than you, even in Oklahoma.

Spend a week with me in the Canadian backcountry and I guarantee that you will be reaching for an axe before the Aranyik.

BTW I read your post before you edited it. You obviously don't fillet your fish. Filleting is the best way IMO. Yes let's argue about this too. <just kidding>

OKBushcraft
06-08-2013, 09:16 PM
You are right. No need waiting for me to spend the entire week before I grab an axe in YOUR forest, I wouldn't even bring my Aranyik. But I'd say your answer wouldn't be so quick after a week in mine. Compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Shelter building here can be done with both but thatching it will be tiresome and very slow using the axe.
I don't live in a boreal forest.
And your assumption is correct, I hardly ever fillet my fish, I prefer to scale and gut them. But I will sometimes.

Opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, some are bigger than others and they all have the potential to stink.

Tommy
06-08-2013, 09:44 PM
You are right. No need waiting for me to spend the entire week before I grab an axe in YOUR forest, I wouldn't even bring my Aranyik.
Now you are learning. :happy-clapping:

Shelter building here can be done with both but thatching it will be tiresome and very slow using the axe.
Show me I am wrong. Make a video. If you make vid, I'll make a response vid. Big knife vid vs. Small axe vid. :guns:

And your assumption is correct, I hardly ever fillet my fish, I prefer to scale and gut them.
You have just grosed me out. :p Obviously I'm a pickier eater than you. :cool:

JonnyP
06-08-2013, 10:06 PM
The machete has no place in the boreal forest. The axe is the only real choice here.

People who say different, have no real experience in the boreal forest. That's a fact!

Totally agree, but in this Country Bushcraft is a hobby n the boys like to play with shineys
You brought up an old one here..!

OKBushcraft
06-08-2013, 10:17 PM
I'm done.

FishyFolk
06-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Totally agree, but in this Country Bushcraft is a hobby n the boys like to play with shineys
You brought up an old one here..!

Yup, you won't need an axe to split twigs for your little home made wood gas stoves made from soup cans would you. Those little garden pruning saws and a sturdy knife is all you need to get the kettle on :-)

says I

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8392/8512865590_e13f86a8b1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bumblingbushcraft/8512865590/)
IMG_0539 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bumblingbushcraft/8512865590/) by BumblingBushcraft (http://www.flickr.com/people/bumblingbushcraft/), on Flickr

Tommy
06-08-2013, 10:26 PM
You brought up an old one here..!It's a zombie thread.

I'm done.For an American you sure do have a thin skin. C'mon make a video, it will be fun.

JonnyP
06-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Yup, you won't need an axe to split twigs for your little home made wood gas stoves made from soup cans would you. Those little garden pruning saws and a sturdy knife is all you need to get the kettle on :-)

says I

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8392/8512865590_e13f86a8b1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bumblingbushcraft/8512865590/)
IMG_0539 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bumblingbushcraft/8512865590/) by BumblingBushcraft (http://www.flickr.com/people/bumblingbushcraft/), on Flickr
Did you get the good Lady to take that pic, or is it a self portrait..?

FishyFolk
06-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Did you get the good Lady to take that pic, or is it a self portrait..?

No She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed, was safe and sound in the living room when this was taken in the shed...at the time the axe was not sufficiently seasoned that she could be allowed to know about it :-)

Tommy
06-08-2013, 11:23 PM
For an American you sure do have a thin skin. C'mon make a video, it will be fun.
I looked at who's on line and saw you lurking on this thread. I know you are itching to get back and win.

All real Americans want to win. Second place is first looser.

It's time for you to lock and load son, get your ass back to the action. Get with the program and come in for the big win. USA! USA!

If this taunting doesn’t work, then the man from Oklahoma must be one of those rare liberal Americans. Where is the tea party when you need it?

OakAshandThorn
07-08-2013, 12:41 AM
I looked at who's on line and saw you lurking on this thread. I know you are itching to get back and win.

All real Americans want to win. Second place is first looser.

It's time for you to lock and load son, get your ass back to the action. Get with the program and come in for the big win. USA! USA!

If this taunting doesn’t work, then the man from Oklahoma must be one of those rare liberal Americans. Where is the tea party when you need it?
Chillax, bud - if he doesn't want to make a vid, don't push him. Having been in Oklahoma, I can agree with him that a machete/parang would be a more useful tool, especially around brush instead of trees. I wouldn't bring an axe to the tropics, nor the desert, or the extreme north where trees are few and stunted. Different environments require different tools.
And please don't mix politics with Bushcraft...

Tommy
07-08-2013, 01:05 AM
Chillax, bud - if he doesn't want to make a vid, don't push him. Having been in Oklahoma, I can agree with him that a machete/parang would be a more useful tool, especially around brush instead of trees. I wouldn't bring an axe to the tropics, nor the desert, or the extreme north where trees are few and stunted. Different environments require different tools.
And please don't mix politics with Bushcraft...
You are right. My bad.

OakAshandThorn
07-08-2013, 02:43 AM
Just trying to avoid a heated debate/argument and keep everyone happy ;).

KaiTheIronHound
07-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Axes and machetes are useful in different contexts i guess. In winter i carry an axe pretty exclusively, but during most other seasons its interchangeable between an axe or a parang/machete :)

OakAshandThorn
07-08-2013, 11:36 PM

says I

Egad! It's a modern-day Huscarl! :p :D

KaiTheIronHound
08-08-2013, 05:08 AM
Huscarl with a "my first Huscarl" axe :P

FishyFolk
08-08-2013, 07:45 AM
Huscarl with a "my first Huscarl" axe :P

:jumping-joy:

Johnnyboy1971
08-08-2013, 10:54 AM
In the UK I find my folding bucksaw and 'bushie knife' more than adequate for processing firewood.
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd514/johnnyboy1971/DSC_0193_zps269b85ab.jpg
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd514/johnnyboy1971/10FCDC2F-5F61-46E8-AC72-8DB45AD258BA-7032-000004EF37D524C4_zps9d54ffde.jpg
If I do need to batton rounds of timber then I use an MOD knife
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd514/johnnyboy1971/DSC_0110_zpsd13d3123.jpg

KaiTheIronHound
10-08-2013, 03:30 AM
I guess the point to take away here is that everyone has different preferences for kit, and each piece of kit is useful in certain scenarios and not others.

FishyFolk
10-08-2013, 07:02 AM
Up here in the sub-arctic birch forest of the coast of Norway as well as in the inland Boreal forest we say: Yes please, I'll have them all. I.e a full sized axe, a bow saw and a long bladed knife. Traditionally the knife is a an 8-9 inch blade Leuku, a stuorniibi - the "big knife" of the indigenous Samii people. Who where, and some still are nomads, traveling between the arctic boreal forest and high plateau of the inlands where they stay with their reindeer herds in the winter, until they are moving to the sub-arctic birch forest of the coast in the summer.

The Leuku is their multi tool. Used for everything from chopping poles for their Lavvus, to slaughtering their animals. And itæ's a very handyy thing to have in the belt when out and a about.
The axe and saw are camp tools I would not be without though. As they make processing the wood you need for a camp fire quick and easy. But out and about all I need is a leuku to lop off some dry branches and get a small fire going to brew up.

Anyway the luku is versatile, weighs little and is always there. In contrast to my axe with itæs 65 cm handle or my full sized bow saw. But yes of course I would prefer an axe and saw to process serious ammounts of wood to keep me warm up here all night. But for my bushcraft purposes, i.e 90% of the time, it is just a small "get the brew going" fire I need. And for that the Leuku is more than enough.

KaiTheIronHound
10-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Indeed fishy, i always have a large fixed blade with me when i am out bush, as well as an axe and a saw, and of course a good bushcraft knife. I am happy to lug the weight of a bit more kit to make things easier on myself. Depending on where i am in AUS i may swap out the axe for a machete though, just because i may be in more need of clearing brush and the like, and it serves well enough for small firewood aswell, though thats what the saw and the large fixed knife are for too :)

Johnnyboy1971
10-08-2013, 09:07 AM
My Leuku
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd514/johnnyboy1971/IMG-20120120-00132.jpg
And my alternative to a Leuku.
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd514/johnnyboy1971/DSC_0117_zps0906adc8.jpg

KaiTheIronHound
10-08-2013, 02:20 PM
nice choppers there mate :)

beermaker
10-08-2013, 02:58 PM
I'm coveting your blades!!! slurp!!!!

Tony1948
10-08-2013, 04:41 PM
My Leuku
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd514/johnnyboy1971/IMG-20120120-00132.jpg
And my alternative to a Leuku.
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd514/johnnyboy1971/DSC_0117_zps0906adc8.jpg

Looks like you'r Leuku needs a bit of stitching done on it.

Phil_R
10-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Had this one for about twenty years now... Cold Steel Carbon V (1095) ATC (All Terrain Chopper) Kukri:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/flipr_photo/IMG_0260_zpsb61a5a20.jpg