PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Foraging

Humakt
20-11-2011, 08:02 AM
Yesterday I went out coastal foraging with a friend and his two kids.
We found loads of cockles - most just sitting on the sand!

We also went shrimping and got some mussels.
Then we bought some large raw prawns and cooked it all up:

They were cooked in some butter, cider (didn't have any white wine - but cider is only apple wine, so it'll do) and spring onions.
Tasted bloody lovely. Kids had a great day too.

cuppa joe
20-11-2011, 09:00 AM
sounds great,where were you ?

Humakt
20-11-2011, 09:15 AM
Down in the South East - Kent

Jack Russell
20-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Nice one Humakt, yes we've had a lot of villagers down on the beach this week collecting cockles. The big South Westerly swell and thrashing surf has been bringing them onto the shoreline despite the fact we're only on mean tides. Fabulous fodder matey good on ya!!

luresalive
20-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Good stuff, most primitive peoples lived along the coast due to the availablity of food and a possible means of transportation yet most bushcrafters seem to limit themselves to woodland only, always found that peculiar..the shoreline has always been my favourite place to be.

cuppa joe
20-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Im thinking of giving it a go up here ...around dounreay.

cuppa joe
20-11-2011, 10:34 AM
apparentley the sea food up here has had glowing reviews.

bushcraftboy
20-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Didn't get any periwinkles, they are lovely.

rossbird
20-11-2011, 11:46 AM
apparentley the sea food up here has had glowing reviews.

Should make it for easy night foraging.

Every clouds has a silver lining.........or is it green up there:confused2:

rossbird
20-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Yesterday I went out coastal foraging with a friend and his two kids.
We found loads of cockles - most just sitting on the sand!

We also went shrimping and got some mussels.
Then we bought some large raw prawns and cooked it all up:

They were cooked in some butter, cider (didn't have any white wine - but cider is only apple wine, so it'll do) and spring onions.
Tasted bloody lovely. Kids had a great day too.

Sounds like a good day all round.
I sometimes wish I lived nearer the coast.

Metal mug
20-11-2011, 01:43 PM
Sounds like a good day all round.
I sometimes wish I lived nearer the coast.Well if you're lucky if/when the icecaps melt you'll have the sea on your doorstep. :D

Jack Russell
20-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Well if you're lucky if/when the icecaps melt you'll have the sea on your doorstep. :D

The Council deliver my sandbags around halloween every year - like a wise bushcrafter my flat is on the first floor. The best bit about having the beach 20 yards from the front door?? When you go to bed in the summertime you fling the windows open and forget about Brahms' lullaby, there's much better music to listen to haha

Realearner
20-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Good man, been so busy lately with work, was going to go myself. Still always later :mad2:

cuppa joe
20-11-2011, 09:13 PM
The Wife now refuses to kiss me ....I collected some limpets from the bay at Berridale braes (around 20) brought them home dropped them into a pan of boiling water then pulled the dirty bits off and shared them between myself and my cat...rubbery (not to be confused with robbery ,which is a whole different thing) but nice taste .....and as I said the added bonus that the wife wont kiss me ...loveley.