PDA

View Full Version : The Young Poacher

ElementOwl
18-11-2011, 09:30 AM
A little tale from a traveling companion, made me smile and brought back a few memories from what I call "my younger lout years".

http://thequietofnight.blogspot.com/2011/11/young-poacher.html

Bernie
18-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Great story, I enjoyed that short diversion from work. :)

rossbird
18-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Great read, brought back some memories....nuff said:D

ElementOwl
18-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks for taking the time to visit Bernie & rossbird. Great to know you enjoyed it and it brought a few memories back for you too :)

Realearner
19-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Great, loved that tale thanks for that..

ElementOwl
22-11-2011, 08:13 AM
Thanks Realearner, I spoke with John (the subject of the post) and he was delighted to hear people had enjoyed one of his memories. He said many people now probably wouldn't know what to do with a fresh trout from a river, they would probably only consider it edible if they bought a pre prepared and packed one from the supermarket (I suspect people who visit this forum wouldn't be in that category!)

rossbird
22-11-2011, 10:53 AM
As a young lad the only' fresh fish' we had was what we caught from the local streams and lodges.
Mainly Trout and the occasional Pike.
There was the local fish and chip shop....but we never considered that 'Fresh'

ElementOwl
24-11-2011, 10:03 AM
I used to fish in Lancashire as a kid, some of the rivers & streams in the countryside were fantastic clean spaces to be and the fish always seemed in great condition. When I moved to a midlands city I took a walk down to the river there and was stunned by just how polluted it was. No wonder they used to head for the locally chippy for their fish.