PDA

View Full Version : Not Chanterelles - But What Are They?

Humakt
17-11-2011, 07:35 AM
Was out for a walk yesterday and saw these:

2889 2890

I am pretty sure they are not chanterelles (colour alone). And I don't think they are hedgehog fungus either - the gills were gills and not spikes.

Anyone know what they are?

Metal mug
17-11-2011, 08:38 AM
I've seen something similar recently. No idea what it is though.

rossbird
17-11-2011, 10:16 AM
I would guess at one of the Funnels (Clitocybe)
Hint...habitat can help narrow it down more.
I'm sure there are others here who will be more specific.

Humakt
17-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks, Rossbird.
Yes, they certainly look like some variety of Clitocybe.
The habitat was on the border between beech and pine woods. You can see several pine needles in one of the pictures.

rossbird
17-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks Humakt
I did see the pine needles but it doesn't pay to assume these things with fungi.
Personally, I'm not comfortable in giving a definitive answer off pics alone....not experienced enough.
There are several Funnels these may be, as you will know some are poisonous.
Just err on the side of caution :o

wizardbiz
02-01-2012, 12:35 PM
good tip to "id" chantrelles, turn em over check out the gills, if it has gills its not a chantrelle. all the chantrelle family have "primitive" looking bumps or ridges instead of gills. the stems are usualy hollow. the enviroment they are found in is vitaly important with any mushroom or fungi ie the trees they are closely associated with. beech wood litter is a good place for the rarer types of chantrelle. be carefull as some are endangered on the red data list. as with all shrooms and fungi, if your not 120% sure what it is, leave it where it grows.

Tony1948
02-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Hi Humakt, happy new year.I think they are the false chanterelle (Hygropboropsis aurantiaca)can be poisonous,the species is common with conifers and on heathland.It's more orange than the true chanterelle,with a thin stem and lacks the fruity smell.Cor sounds like I now wot I'm talking about, Ha I found them in a book I have,Atb..............DONT GET EATEN BY THE BEARS...............TONY.......:jumping-joy::jumping-joy::rock-on: