PDA

View Full Version : Coffee ??? How do you make yours ???

Whistle
15-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Sorry to start this thread ... but I got into a terrible "mucking fuddle" trying to answer SwissGearLabs and Bikebum1975 in a thread the other night ... Wasn't sure which threads had posted and none of the photos did ... so try try try again !!! Ha ha ha !!!

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/226155_125489397546888_100002574849870_155163_4869 770_n.jpg

Stainless Steel Soap Dish used as primer dish and auto/self leveller ...a few drops of meths will pool in the concave surface and the stove "floats" into a perfectly level orientation
Used as a primer dish enables faster bloom of the stove and therefore faster mug of coffee !!!!

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/285410_125489534213541_100002574849870_155164_7064 910_n.jpg

Small "white box" style stove made from Scholl Foot Spray container ... the smallest diameter aluminium can with the correct shape I could find ...
Tried a smaller diameter can but it couldn't hold enough fuel to complete the perk !!!

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/198761_125489697546858_100002574849870_155165_4686 457_n.jpg

Stove pre-bloom but shows internal shoulders of the can and demonstrates max fill level against the level of the external jets .

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/262934_125490097546818_100002574849870_155168_6644 127_n.jpg

Stove and Percolator combo with active jets ...

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/226032_125489984213496_100002574849870_155167_6335 655_n.jpg

Close up of the jets just curling round edge of percolator ... this was the first trial run and the flame / jets are just slightly too long , heat is being wasted curling round edge of the Coffee Percolator. This has been largely rectified but not totally eliminated by slightly enlarging the jets by 0.1mm diameter .

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/226127_125490220880139_100002574849870_155170_6863 6_n.jpg

Setup shown with windshield in situ ... essential for the outdoors most of the time , even on windless days it contains and reflects heat which helps speed the Perk !!!

Percolator is charged with a Lidls Coffee Pod ... available in Kenyan , Columbian and Brazilian Blends ...

Using the coffee pods helps eliminate the mess associated with with coffee grounds ... all the grouts are contained in the pod which is like a tea-bag,

making charging and cleaning the Percolater quick n'easy ...

The only disadvantage is the percolator has to cool before is can be re-charged for a second mug ... though a pair of stout gloves can speed this !!!

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/252065_125490480880113_100002574849870_155172_7754 760_n.jpg

Showing the Ortlieb Kaffeefilter-Halter ...ideal when space / weight is at a premium ... It folds flat as a handful of filter papers and will fit in any pack or even a pocket !!!

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/185308_125490614213433_100002574849870_155173_2373 15_n.jpg

Showing how filter holder is supported in the mug by two tent pegs or twigs and any favourite ground coffee can be used in the filter ...

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/251480_125491057546722_100002574849870_155176_2172 050_n.jpg

The filter effectively contains all the coffee grouts making cleanup quick and easy.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/223767_125491174213377_100002574849870_155177_5446 023_n.jpg

After removing the filter and grouts , the holder can be simply wiped or rinsed clean , and the filter bagged for later disposal ...Leave no trace !!!

I have tried other coffee makers but Cafetier types are messy and hard to clean in the field , a mini One cup Bodum cafetier was so slow to allow coffee to circulate

the coffee was cold before it was strong enough , but the percolater and filter holder both make a good strong joe and are bomb proof !!!

Cheers Whistle

treefrog
15-11-2011, 11:48 PM
That's a quality set-up you have, Whistle. We've tried just about every way to make coffee in the bush, finally settled on the 2 best
methods so far: We have a GSI Java Press from MEC; it makes civilized coffee, weighs very little, and is pretty much unbreakable.
But when we're travelling super-light, then it's sift-it-thru-your-teeth cowboy coffee.

bikebum1975
16-11-2011, 04:14 AM
This is how I brew more than likely how I will brew on my bike/camping rides to.

I like that little stove ya got with the coffee pot still really toying on getting one for a hobo stove.

SwissGearLabs
16-11-2011, 05:49 AM
nice italian moka setup you use, I never tried mine with an alcohol stove. have to try that though.

Martin
16-11-2011, 06:48 AM
I don't drink coffee or tea any more but when I did, I bought a MSR coffee filter from www.backpackinglight.co.uk . It's a great filter as all you need to do is to fill it with coffee and pop it in your mug and fill with hot water. Once the coffee is strong enough you whip it out, chuck the coffee grounds on the fire and enjoy your cup of coffee.

I stopped drinking tea and coffee as I found that I was getting withdrawl headaches if I didn't get my fix. To be perfectly honest, I don't miss it at all and it's one less thing to think about when packing my bag.

Martin

Metal mug
16-11-2011, 08:24 AM
I don't drink coffee or tea any more but when I did, I bought a MSR coffee filter from www.backpackinglight.co.uk . It's a great filter as all you need to do is to fill it with coffee and pop it in your mug and fill with hot water. Once the coffee is strong enough you whip it out, chuck the coffee grounds on the fire and enjoy your cup of coffee.

I stopped drinking tea and coffee as I found that I was getting withdrawl headaches if I didn't get my fix. To be perfectly honest, I don't miss it at all and it's one less thing to think about when packing my bag.

MartinCigarettes, tea, coffee. What are you giving up next Martin? :)

Martin
16-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Cigarettes, tea, coffee. What are you giving up next Martin? :)

You know I've stopped eating all meat, fish and dairy don't you?

Martin

Roadkillphil
16-11-2011, 10:35 AM

Martin

I've heard he's giving up camping!!! :p

treefrog
16-11-2011, 10:41 AM

Martin

The Cree language has no word for 'vegetarian' so they translate it as 'lousy hunter'.:D

Martin
16-11-2011, 11:42 AM
The Cree language has no word for 'vegetarian' so they translate it as 'lousy hunter'.:D

It's ok, I still intend to kill things, I will just use it to feed my friends. And, some would say I gave up camping years ago Phil, I now do it in my own style as you know. ;)

Martin

garethw
16-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Hi Whistle
Where did you get the Ortlieb filter from? I like the look of that for a backpack coffee kit. Only place I could see on the net was in Germany and the postage cost more than than the filter holder...

cheers
Gareth

JonnyP
16-11-2011, 03:20 PM
I have this old cast iron and yew burl coffee grinder I use..
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/jonpickett/221abd91.jpg

rossbird
16-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Hi Whistle
Where did you get the Ortlieb filter from? I like the look of that for a backpack coffee kit. Only place I could see on the net was in Germany and the postage cost more than than the filter holder...

cheers
Gareth
Found them Here http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=6576

Maybe Whistle will have more options.

rossbird
16-11-2011, 04:04 PM

Lol....glad that's not in my pack:D

Metal mug
16-11-2011, 04:16 PM
I clap my hands and say "Woman get me a coffee!" Then Germaine Greer appears and hits me over the head with a blunt object. - Probably that coffee grinder. :)

Whistle
16-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Hi Whistle

cheers
Gareth

Found them Here http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=6576

Maybe Whistle will have more options.

Hi Guys ... Thanks for the interest but sorry to disappoint , got mine from Cyclesport !!! ... nearly Eight Quid but I think the postage was free , good service , ordered @w/end arrived wednesday !!!

Cheers Whistle

Whistle
16-11-2011, 06:04 PM
nice italian moka setup you use, I never tried mine with an alcohol stove. have to try that though.

Hi SwissGearLabs , had to make my own little stove so flame spread was small enough and heat wasn't wasted ... You can see , even with the small stove , the flame spread is only just controlled.

It was either that or use a bigger perkolator !!! Ha ha ha !!! The first little stove I made had a smaller flame spread but couldn't hold enough meths to give a full perk !!!

I found a smaller one in a Charity Shop ( my favourite outlet store ) but although it was easier to fit in the pack it only made a few sipps of coffee !!! Ha ha ha !!!

Cheers Whistle

Whistle
16-11-2011, 06:26 PM
This is how I brew more than likely how I will brew on my bike/camping rides to.

I like that little stove ya got with the coffee pot still really toying on getting one for a hobo stove.

Thanks Bikebum1975 ... Works well with the honey stove , admittidly still on meths , but at least you have the options !!!

I have given up with wood burning , too stinky , too dirty and too unreliable regarding finding suitable fuel ... at least at my fav venues !!!

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/388505_162617993834028_100002574849870_278205_1146 914441_n.jpg

Cheers Whistle

bikebum1975
16-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Wondering how a pot like that would hold up over a wood fire. Meh I personally love the smell of a good wood fire :D

Whistle
16-11-2011, 06:33 PM

Yer avin a laff aintcha JonnyP !?!? At least were not in the LIGHTWEIGHT BACKPACKING thread hey !!! Loads o'laughs !!!

Cheers Whistle

Whistle
16-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Wondering how a pot like that would hold up over a wood fire. Meh I personally love the smell of a good wood fire :D

Think the ally parts would be ok over coals ... the metal is good and thick , probably durable enough , but the plastic handle would probably suffer anywhere near flames !!!!

I don't know how durable the Silicon Sealing Ring that fits between the upper and lower body parts would be ... although MrsWhistle uses silicon cake "tins" and baking sheets ...

safe enough in the oven so must be tough enough s'pose ... P'haps you can find a cheap one at a boot fare or charity shop , then it wouldn'matter so much Ha ha ha !!!

Cheers Whistle

garethw
16-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Think the ally parts would be ok over coals ... the metal is good and thick , probably durable enough , but the plastic handle would probably suffer anywhere near flames !!!!

I have one of these which I used on fishing trips in the past.... moslty on my Coleman unleaded stove.. well anyone who has used these stoves, will know they can flare up if the pressure is low... The handles do melt. BUT here in France you can get all the spares in many larger supermarkets, seals, handles, etc.
The melted handle doesn't effect the taste of the coffee, it just makes it hard to pour out. :):).
cheers
Gareth

PS: I'll definitely check the Ortlieb.. maybe order it when I go to the UK at Xmas. Postage to France is almost as much as the filter... Can't find it on a French site.

JonnyP
16-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Yer avin a laff aintcha JonnyP !?!? At least were not in the LIGHTWEIGHT BACKPACKING thread hey !!! Loads o'laughs !!!

Cheers Whistle

I ain't avin a giraffe at all.. This thread is called "Coffee ??? How do you make yours ???" so I stuck up a pic of my grinder.. Who says it has to be light weight..? I do my camping 150 meters from here so weight is no issue to me.
I prefer to cook coffee cowboy style, but them Italian pots that steam the coffee are v good. I dont mind too much so long its fresh and black. I cannot stand instant coffee.

Whistle
16-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Hi JonnyP !!!

I totally agree ... Instant coffees are generally a big disappointment ... but even worse are the " Millicano " type of mixed instant and microground coffee ,

seems to me you get the worst of both instant and ground without any of the advantages of either ...

These Italian pots dont actually steam the coffee , rather the buildup of steam pressure in the lower pot forces the water up through a funnel and coffee holder then

through an inverted funnel into the top holding / pouring pot ... Big problems if you don't achieve a good seal between the upper and lower pots ...

all the steam escapes without driving the water up through the coffee !!!

I think that cooking your coffee "cowboy" style is probably the purest and best way but I hate getting the grounds from packaged coffee stuck in my teeth !!!

Bet your grinder does it just right so that you dont get all those fine floaty bits stuck in your teeth ...

Coffee is my only vice , so its not just coffee to me , I like to enjoy the whole process of the coffee making ritual too !!!

Cheers Whistle

bikebum1975
16-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Hi JonnyP !!!

I totally agree ... Instant coffees are generally a big disappointment ... but even worse are the " Millicano " type of mixed instant and microground coffee ,

seems to me you get the worst of both instant and ground without any of the advantages of either ...

These Italian pots dont actually steam the coffee , rather the buildup of steam pressure in the lower pot forces the water up through a funnel and coffee holder then through an inverted funnel into the

top holding / pouring pot ... Big problems if you don't achieve a good seal between the upper and lower pots ... all the steam escapes without driving the water up through the coffee !!!

I think that cooking your coffee "cowboy" style is probably the purest and best way but I hate getting the grounds from packaged coffee stuck in my teeth !!!

Bet your grinder does it just right so that you dont get all those fine floaty bits stuck in your teeth ...

Coffee is my only vice , so its not just coffee to me , I like to enjoy the whole process of the coffee making ritual too !!!

Cheers Whistle

Add tea to that for me to but coffee is first on the list drink of the gods I call it :D

Instant coffee just can't take it though only one even though it's decaf that I like is Sanka

JonnyP
17-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Hi JonnyP !!!

These Italian pots dont actually steam the coffee , rather the buildup of steam pressure in the lower pot forces the water up through a funnel and coffee holder then

through an inverted funnel into the top holding / pouring pot ... Big problems if you don't achieve a good seal between the upper and lower pots ...

all the steam escapes without driving the water up through the coffee !!!

Cheers Whistle

Those microground/instant coffee's are disgusting. Someone bought me a small tub of it from starbucks.. I tried it and binned it..
I stand corrected on the Italian pots.. I was nearly right though.. I have an old one that has been well used, but its mainly used on the hob indoors these days.
Cowboy coffee is an art. If you like the coffee making process, then I think you should really suss cowboy coffee making.. I hate the grinds in my mouth, but I rarely get any making coffee this way. Get the temperature right and the grinds sink, then just pour off the liquid. Give your mug a few taps to sink any grinds that may of escaped and do not drink the dregs.
I love using my old grinder when I have the time, but I normally just use Lavazza and a plastic Cafe filter mug (that has a bad design for filtering,) but it does me ok on a daily basis at work..

Bernie
17-11-2011, 05:38 PM

Martin

I never know when you're joking Martin. You haven't seriously given up all that have you?

What will you eat, grass and oats? Neigh I say; neigh!

Martin
17-11-2011, 05:45 PM
I never know when you're joking Martin. You haven't seriously given up all that have you?

What will you eat, grass and oats? Neigh I say; neigh!

Not joking this time mate. Best move I've ever made, except for the smoking. I'm far healthier, more alert and over a stone lighter. Wish I'd done it years ago. :)

Martin

Whistle
17-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Those microground/instant coffee's are disgusting. Someone bought me a small tub of it from starbucks.. I tried it and binned it..
I stand corrected on the Italian pots.. I was nearly right though.. I have an old one that has been well used, but its mainly used on the hob indoors these days.
Cowboy coffee is an art. If you like the coffee making process, then I think you should really suss cowboy coffee making.. I hate the grinds in my mouth, but I rarely get any making coffee this way. Get the temperature right and the grinds sink, then just pour off the liquid. Give your mug a few taps to sink any grinds that may of escaped and do not drink the dregs.
I love using my old grinder when I have the time, but I normally just use Lavazza and a plastic Cafe filter mug (that has a bad design for filtering,) but it does me ok on a daily basis at work..

Thanks for that JonnyP !!! I'll definately check out the cowboy method , be nice to have different way of doing things !!!

Understand about the careful decanting but temp control on a meths stove might be problematic ... I'll have to fire up the old highlander gas stove !!!

I fondly remember Greek / Turkish coffee on flotilla holidays , almost sickly sweet ( cant do that any more , type II diabetes ) but I dont remember suffering from the grinds then !!!

I'll let you know how i get on ... I dont have one particular favorite brand of coffee , I'm a bit of a magpie , always attracted by the latest colourful bright n'shiney !!! hahaha !!!

Cheers Whistle