PDA

View Full Version : Peanuts

Martin
10-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Whilst sitting at my desk, eating a bag of mixed nuts and raisins, it occurred to me that peanuts are not nuts at all but are actually legumes like peas and beans.

Whilst then contemplating suing Tesco for misrepresentation (they should be called mixed legumes, nuts and raisins) I thought I'd check my facts on that infallible font of all knowledge 'Wikipedia'. Well, I was astonished to find out that China is the world's largest producer of peanuts producing a whopping 14.3 million tonnes of peanuts per year!!! That's 14,300,000 tonnes!!!

It's truly staggering how bored one person can get during a 30 minute lunch break. ;)

Martin

paulthefish2009
10-11-2011, 12:59 PM
I grew a peanut plant once on our kitchen window sill. It was a lovely looking thing untill the cat knocked it off !!

Realearner
10-11-2011, 03:33 PM
time used on increasing knowledge is not wasted, well if you are into statistics :D
And are they nuts after all that?

Martin
10-11-2011, 05:42 PM
time used on increasing knowledge is not wasted, well if you are into statistics :D
And are they nuts after all that?

No, they're legumes.

Martin

Metal mug
10-11-2011, 06:19 PM
My favorite peanut is Snoopy.

Humakt
13-11-2011, 06:31 AM
Ah, saying 'peanuts are not nuts' (and 'tomatoes are not veg') is a good example of the difference between knowledge and wisdom:
Knowledge means I know a peanut/tomato is a legume/fruit.
But wisdom means I should think of it as a nut/veg.

A little learning can be a dangerous thing...

Jack Russell
18-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Awww and they always told me that President Jimmy Carter was the King of the nuts - for the benefit of our colonial members apologies for extracting the Michael trust me I feel the same about "call me Dave".
If it's on Wiki it must be true but being a groundnut I'd have expected it to be a root veg!!

Incidentally, does Wiki point out that bushcrafters carrying GORP save the peanuts to use as candles under their tarps??

Silverback
18-11-2011, 02:13 PM
If peanuts are not nuts.......then Jaffa Cakes. Cakes or Biscuits?.............discuss

Ben Casey
18-11-2011, 02:19 PM
If peanuts are not nuts.......then Jaffa Cakes. Cakes or Biscuits?.............discuss

They are not cakes but where called cakes to avoid paying extra tax :)

Metal mug
18-11-2011, 02:23 PM
They are not cakes but where called cakes to avoid paying extra tax :)Mmmm..... biscuit tax. I'd love to know who introduced it. :)

Ben Casey
18-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Mmmm..... biscuit tax. I'd love to know who introduced it. :)

Must have been Old Maggie she was to blame for everything LOL

Metal mug
18-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Maggie Thatcher - biscuit snatcher. :)

Ben Casey
18-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Maggie Thatcher - biscuit snatcher. :)
Hey a rhyme LOL

bigzee
18-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Mmmm..... biscuit tax. I'd love to know who introduced it. :)
The same usual team who love to tax and introduce new legislation...one assumes?

bigzee
18-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Monkey legumes?.....no doesn't sound quite right. Neither does an American saying: "Hey buddy - you're totally legumes!"
Why is there a steering wheel down your trousers?....I don't know but it's driving me legumes..........hhhmm?...no.

Silverback
18-11-2011, 04:16 PM
The same usual team who love to tax and introduce new legislation...one assumes?

That'll be the lot in Brussels then.......lets face it we havent managed our own affairs since the 70's

Jack Russell
18-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Brussels???? legumes or beurocratic pill***s of the community - EDIT sorry should say "pillars"

AND enter "always accurate" Wikipedia and Cake or biscuit?

"In the UK, value added tax is payable on chocolate-covered biscuits, but not on chocolate-covered cakes. McVities defended its classification of Jaffa Cakes as cakes in court, producing a 12" (30 cm) Jaffa Cake to illustrate that its Jaffa Cakes were simply miniature cakes. McVities argued that a distinction between cakes and biscuits is, among other things, that biscuits would normally be expected to go soft when stale, whereas cakes would normally be expected to go hard. It was demonstrated to the Tribunal that Jaffa Cakes become hard when stale. Other factors taken into account by the Chairman, Potter QC, included the name, ingredients, texture, size, packaging, marketing, presentation, appeal to children, and manufacturing process. Potter ruled that the Jaffa Cake is a cake. McVities therefore won the case and VAT is not paid on Jaffa Cakes in the UK.[8]
However, in 1999, the Sun newspaper published a poll which suggested that the majority of its readers thought of the Jaffa Cake as a biscuit, not cake.[9]"

well blow me - not literally, I know how you lot think. By the way on that thought "kinky is with a feather, perverse is with the whole chicken"

Hey Martin, you didn't mention that, as a legume, you can actually grow runner peanuts - fascinating

bigzee
18-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Brussels???? legumes or beurocratic pill***s of the community - EDIT sorry should say "pillars"

AND enter "always accurate" Wikipedia and Cake or biscuit?

"In the UK, value added tax is payable on chocolate-covered biscuits, but not on chocolate-covered cakes. McVities defended its classification of Jaffa Cakes as cakes in court, producing a 12" (30 cm) Jaffa Cake to illustrate that its Jaffa Cakes were simply miniature cakes. McVities argued that a distinction between cakes and biscuits is, among other things, that biscuits would normally be expected to go soft when stale, whereas cakes would normally be expected to go hard. It was demonstrated to the Tribunal that Jaffa Cakes become hard when stale. Other factors taken into account by the Chairman, Potter QC, included the name, ingredients, texture, size, packaging, marketing, presentation, appeal to children, and manufacturing process. Potter ruled that the Jaffa Cake is a cake. McVities therefore won the case and VAT is not paid on Jaffa Cakes in the UK.[8]
However, in 1999, the Sun newspaper published a poll which suggested that the majority of its readers thought of the Jaffa Cake as a biscuit, not cake.[9]"

well blow me - not literally, I know how you lot think. By the way on that thought "kinky is with a feather, perverse is with the whole chicken"

Hey Martin, you didn't mention that, as a legume, you can actually grow runner peanuts - fascinating

Three cheers for Mc Vities and their democratic duty-dodging defenders...hip hip hooray...hip hip.....etc.

Metal mug
19-11-2011, 10:21 AM
I want to try one of those massive Jaffa cakes now. :)

Jack Russell
19-11-2011, 11:05 AM
I want to try one of those massive Jaffa cakes now. :)

Go on Jack - email the marketing director and tell him you've found out via Wiki that the McV company have the capability to produce 12" jaffa cakes and offer your services as a mystery consumer/taster - I work in the food industry these days, if nothing else I'll bet you get a polite thank you for your suggestion and at least a voucher for a free pack of jaffa's, or maybe.......... a ruddy great orange chocolate sponge through the post and a job offer for their product development department haha

ooh eck.... 60 posts and I've turned into a hit record for Dion and the Belmonts......... "wellllll I'm the type 'o guy who likes to roam around............ they call me the wanderer - yeah the wanderer I roam around around around
fabulous

Ben Casey
19-11-2011, 11:32 AM
ooh eck.... 60 posts and I've turned into a hit record for Dion and the Belmonts......... "wellllll I'm the type 'o guy who likes to roam around............ they call me the wanderer - yeah the wanderer I roam around around around
fabulous

Have you seen the fim where that is in it is cult I love it been wandering all my life since I watched it LOL