PDA

View Full Version : Any booze burners?

bigzee
09-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Gents,

I've been wondering for a while, whether a meths/alcohol stove (homemade or bought) would run effectively on 40% vol drinking alcohol. Now as much as I love meths stove experimentation, I have to admit that I'm really not prepared to sacrifice a "slug" of my dwindling Scotch supply to find out.

So I was wondering whether anyone else has tried fuelling a stove in the past with Scotch, rum, brandy, or vodka. Or would anyone be prepared to use any of their "water of life" to satisfy my curiosity?

JEEP
09-11-2011, 06:59 PM
True story: 12 years or so ago I was camping, on a small island in the middle of Lillebælt, with a group of friends. I was the only one to bring a stove; my trusty Trangia 25-1, with it I had a full bottle of meths. A friend of mine borrowed the bottle, for lighting a fire - and ended up (slightly drunk as he was) setting the whole bottle on fire, tossing the burning bottle into the ocean.

No one else had brought any meths, but there was plenty(!) of cheap liquor. My friend of mine had a bottle of truly horrible cheap brandy, which he gave me to compensate for the lost meths. It wasn't easy to get to burn steadily and nowhere near as efficient as meths, but it worked - aswell as adding to my food a nice hint of brandy.

fatsnacka
09-11-2011, 07:55 PM
sambuca will burn for ages :)

rich290185
09-11-2011, 08:49 PM
I would just drink the scotch, is to good to cook with. And if you drink enough you wouldnt care about eating! :o

bigzee
10-11-2011, 06:51 PM
True story: 12 years or so ago I was camping, on a small island in the middle of Lillebælt, with a group of friends. I was the only one to bring a stove; my trusty Trangia 25-1, with it I had a full bottle of meths. A friend of mine borrowed the bottle, for lighting a fire - and ended up (slightly drunk as he was) setting the whole bottle on fire, tossing the burning bottle into the ocean.

No one else had brought any meths, but there was plenty(!) of cheap liquor. My friend of mine had a bottle of truly horrible cheap brandy, which he gave me to compensate for the lost meths. It wasn't easy to get to burn steadily and nowhere near as efficient as meths, but it worked - aswell as adding to my food a nice hint of brandy.
Thanks for the story Jakob - that's the kind of thing I was after!
I've just realised, that it's Denmark where the delicious Aalborg akvavit comes from. That's a drink I would not be burning!

JEEP
10-11-2011, 07:09 PM
You like schnaps/akvavit? Then you should try a bottle of Linie Akvavit or maybe a Bornholm 1855 Traditionsakvavit. These are the good stuff - both are golden akvavits, much better than the white ones :)

bigzee
10-11-2011, 07:17 PM
You like schnaps/akvavit? Then you should try a bottle of Linie Akvavit or maybe a Bornholm 1855 Traditionsakvavit. These are the good stuff - both are golden akvavits, much better than the white ones :)
Yum yum....now you've got me going. I'll have to search on those and see if I can source some for xmas.