PDA

View Full Version : Ray Mears outdoor survival handbook

LandRoverMatt
01-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Only had the book for a week now but Is a great book, Any one else got this book? and what do you think of it 2768

JEEP
01-11-2011, 08:40 PM
I have it. I must admit that I find it a bit too, in lack of a better term, superficial. When it comes to Ray's books I find "Essentil Bushcraft" a lot more "hands on", yet still mainly for people who already know something about survival/bushcraft.

My favourite bushcraft/survival book is by far Mors Kochanski's "Bushcraft". This book is a lot more in-depth and comprehensive than Ray's books - and more importantly; it starts from absolute square one. This is a book that a person, with absolutely no knowledge about bushcraft/survival at all, could bring along, together with maybe a field guide on local flora and fauna, and actually use to bolster his survival efforts.

Comptona
11-11-2011, 09:29 PM
The Survival Handbook: A Practical Guide to Woodcraft and Woodlore by a certain Raymond Mears, 1990. Picked this up at a car boot sale in Barmouth, Snowdonis a coiple of weeks ago for £1. Mint condition. Very raw and simple but a great book. The problem is I have found out its quite rare and worth up to £130 on some sites so reluctant to take it into the field. Mors Kochanski's "Bushcraft" superb book and very detailed. i finf the illustrations far better than photographs to understand.

Comptona
11-11-2011, 09:30 PM
sorry my spelling has gone to pot. "Snowdonia" and "Couple"

Scott
11-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Great book

Comptona
11-11-2011, 09:39 PM
The best thing is i only saw the word survival and thought i should buy something, borrowed the £1 off my 13 year old son and it wasnt until we stopped for lunch and i had a quick look at it in a car park that i realised what i had. How lucky was that.

JEEP
11-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Awesone find!

jus_young
11-11-2011, 11:09 PM
The best thing is i only saw the word survival and thought i should buy something, borrowed the £1 off my 13 year old son and it wasnt until we stopped for lunch and i had a quick look at it in a car park that i realised what i had. How lucky was that.

But now you have found out how much its worth, has your son tried claiming it is his yet as the money used to pay for it was his in the first place? :D

LandRoverMatt
12-11-2011, 01:24 PM
What an amazing little story there comptona!:)

Comptona
12-11-2011, 08:35 PM
well he got his pound back when i got back to the car so thats him sorted. as for the book its now a problem, i want to use it but now i am afraid to. I am going to keep it but the chances of getting a copy agin are pretty low at a decent price. Might source an e-book and download it.

jus_young
12-11-2011, 08:38 PM
:D

Its going to become one of those treasured items.

rich290185
12-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Really good!