PDA

View Full Version : Winter preparations

Metal mug
28-10-2011, 08:16 PM
So in case we have another winter like the last couple (in the UK) has anyone got anything together for emergencies? Eg - car survival kits,extra food, a travois and husky :) . I've got some small walking crampons to beat the ice (hopefully) and some good warm clothes + liners for my coats. I've more stuff that I bought it in the summer but it seems to have gone walkabout in my house. :ashamed:

Terry
28-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Great idea, I havnt done anything yey, but i will now...

comanighttrain
28-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Got a box full of food and alcohol fuel in the house...

getting some crampons for me boots as well...

Terry
28-10-2011, 09:11 PM
I shall begin to draw up my list tomorrow sounds good.

luresalive
28-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Gona build another quinzee !!!

Silverback
28-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Winterised the car this week as well as my rucksack, generally winter brings busier times for me and my colleagues, particularly when the clocks go back.

Dan XF
29-10-2011, 08:12 AM
I like the idea of a box full of alcohol in the house for winter. I think I'll do that this year.

Woodwose
29-10-2011, 06:43 PM
I bought some fleece gloves in poundstretcher yesterday. I also bought a hot water bottle, with a Very Manly :guns: camo fleece cover. :ashamed:
When it’s cold I sit next to the woodburner, when it gets really cold, I light it. ;) (The old ones are always the best).

markal17
29-10-2011, 07:34 PM
iv been geting stuff all summer iv just got a 200lit water can for water to be in the house in case the pipes we have 3in1 coffe x40 soups stews loads of powder milk
lights tea lights 100 no battery lantons and torchs

Metal mug
30-10-2011, 09:54 AM
iv been geting stuff all summer iv just got a 200lit water can for water to be in the house in case the pipes we have 3in1 coffe x40 soups stews loads of powder milk
lights tea lights 100 no battery lantons and torchsAnd a trangia to boil them up in. Well I mean the soups and coffee. I wonder what boiled tealight tastes of? :)

bigzee
30-10-2011, 07:35 PM
I like the idea of a box full of alcohol in the house for winter. I think I'll do that this year.
A box full of alcohol "for the winter"......snigger...that kind of plan goes awry with me in the house. Alcohol stocks never seem to last as long as the wife would expect. Partly matured sloe gin is a good substitute for beer in the run up to xmas!

sam_acw
30-10-2011, 07:52 PM
A broom, snow shovel and salt/sand mix is a good idea.
The main reason it gets slippery underfoot is when snow is compacted because no-one clears it away.
If you're in an are where the average temperatures are below zero at any point you should consider winter tyres for the car - remember that they have a maximum temperature beyond which they are less effective though.
I always get a few new pairs of felt inserts for boots - one layer is enough until it is seriously cold (-15 and below). It's also worth making sure you've got spare pairs of gloves and a thin scarf to seal the gaps between coat and a bigger scarf (the stretchy tube ones work well).
A lot of cold weather stuff is just common sense, life continues here at -20 with a couple of feet of snow; mindset and making sure you've thought out what to do go a long way.

LandRoverMatt
31-10-2011, 08:33 PM
all my camping stuff is just stuffed into the caravan so the caravan is my emergency kit really :)

Metal mug
01-11-2011, 07:30 AM
all my camping stuff is just stuffed into the caravan so the caravan is my emergency kit really :)It's very portable, you can take it wherever you go. Although the supermarket manager might get a bit angry if you take it round tescos. :)

Colliewobble
01-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Finally got some winter tyres for me car - I still like to get up on the moors with the dogs, especially if it snows a bit. Since I got interested (but not good at, no way!) animal tracks, I'm looking forward to a light dusting of the white stuff in the woods.
In the car - jump leads, shovel, blanket, bits of old carpet, de-icer and scraper, hi-viz jacket. I might buy a tow rope yet.