PDA

View Full Version : Birch fungus

Norseman
27-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Hi. I saw on Youtube a black fungus on birch that could catch a spark and started smoldering without any treatment. I only know of a fungus that is hard that needs treatment with lye or urin.
I ofcourse had to make a trip to my woods yesterday, but I couldnt find anything. Not even the usual one.
Could the fungus I saw on the film be a local type that doesnt excist in Norway or my part?

I really would like to find it. :-) The more I find in the woods the less I need to carry. :-)

Colliewobble
27-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Sounds like what is known as a cramp ball fungus over here; I've not spotted any yet, probably just haven't noticed it as it's supposed to be quite common in the UK.

Realearner
27-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Found some last trip out, tried it and yes great.
Think the name is King Alfred cakes, or cramp balls, of course there is always the Latin name :confused2:
They usually are found on dead birch trees.

luresalive
27-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Hi. I saw on Youtube a black fungus on birch that could catch a spark and started smoldering without any treatment. I only know of a fungus that is hard that needs treatment with lye or urin.
I ofcourse had to make a trip to my woods yesterday, but I couldnt find anything. Not even the usual one.
Could the fungus I saw on the film be a local type that doesnt excist in Norway or my part?

I really would like to find it. :-) The more I find in the woods the less I need to carry. :-)

The one you're talking about sounds like inonotus obliquus also called the true tinder fungus, it doesn't need any prep whatsoever apart from drying out, and can be used straight from the tree if it's dry enough, it's usually found on Birch trees
and your part of the world is perfect for it,it's quite rare in the UK but can be found in Scotland

Cramp balls are usually found on Ash trees

Realearner
27-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Well I live in the south east and found them, and pretty sure it was birch:ashamed:
However I bow to your obvious wisdom, I am a very novice novice :confused2:

Norseman
27-10-2011, 07:38 PM
I looked further and the one who looked most like in the film is what we calls Kreftkjuke(cancer fungus) or in english Chaga.
The middle part is what is used. Somewhat corky in structure. Only dry it and go. It has many medical functions also. Used as tea. But its hard to find. Another excuse to have a trip to the woods. :-)

Realearner
27-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Any pictures,? Would like to see this fungus.

luresalive
27-10-2011, 08:09 PM
I looked further and the one who looked most like in the film is what we calls Kreftkjuke(cancer fungus) or in english Chaga.
The middle part is what is used. Somewhat corky in structure. Only dry it and go. It has many medical functions also. Used as tea. But its hard to find. Another excuse to have a trip to the woods. :-)

Yes, as I thought it is Inonotus Obliquus, here's a link to it

http://wildbranchmushrooms.com/chaga

Realearner
27-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Like i said i am a novice novice, thinking along completely different lines.
So this one grows on ash? and is the tree living or decaying?
And is it only the core that is used for tinder / medications?
And yes i did see the link but to much going on to read at the moment :mad2:

luresalive
27-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Like i said i am a novice novice, thinking along completely different lines.
So this one grows on ash? and is the tree living or decaying?
And is it only the core that is used for tinder / medications?
And yes i did see the link but to much going on to read at the moment :mad2:

Obliquus (Chaga/truetinder fungus) - Birch
Cramp Balls - Ash (usually, though occasionally beech and even more rarely on Silver birch)

Norseman
27-10-2011, 10:22 PM
They say it lives on living trees. If the tree dies, so does the Chaga.

Ashley Cawley
27-10-2011, 10:25 PM

I really would like to find it. :-) The more I find in the woods the less I need to carry. :-)You might be interested in these videos I made a few years ago...

Harvesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HFH2LAKgwA

Using (un-prepared Amadou)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxrqXCkxeyg

I've had luck with even using un-prepared amadou from artist fungi, I would say try any bracket fungi that has a velvety amadou layer in the top and experiment. :)

Ashley Cawley
27-10-2011, 10:25 PM
They say it lives on living trees. If the tree dies, so does the Chaga.Oh and I've managed to get big old artists fungi off dead trees and get a good amadou yield.

strat2206
07-11-2011, 06:15 PM
without any treatment you would say daldinia contentrica ( cramp ball) with treatment chaga sounds like crampball to me it is very rare on silver birch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXzochukLqY&feature=channel_video_title try that video it will help you identify if it is the crampball fungi

strat2206
07-11-2011, 06:22 PM
also try looking on dead fallen trees thar are rotting also at this point in time the fungus would be soaked and needs drying to make it useable im sure you could actually buy it if you really wanted it its found in north america and europe most commonly on ash trees :)

bushcraftboy
07-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Fomes fomentarius?

I'm not sure but you don't get it in south wales :(

Although I've used birch polypore to make char "fungus", burns better than char cloth anyway :)

paulthefish2009
07-11-2011, 07:59 PM
theres loads of bracket fungus near me growing on birch stumps, if any one wants a lump i will gladly go and chop some off and post it. presume this is the stuff ash was talking about? remember mr mears saying you could peel the top layer off and use it as an impromtu band aid plaster. Paul

luresalive
07-11-2011, 08:19 PM
theres loads of bracket fungus near me growing on birch stumps, if any one wants a lump i will gladly go and chop some off and post it. presume this is the stuff ash was talking about? remember mr mears saying you could peel the top layer off and use it as an impromtu band aid plaster. Paul

That particular one you mention is Birch Polypore ( the one you can make a plaster from)

rich290185
16-11-2011, 09:36 PM
sorry iam a bit slow on this stuff, i have been for a wander today in the wood and got quite exited when i found what i thort was crampballs on a fallen silver birch.

they where small so left the to grow a bit bigger/more useful, but reading this im not sure now will they be cramps or not?

rossbird
16-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Hi Rich
I'm not a million miles from you. I have found small black fungi on Birch locally. I'm pretty sure they aren't crampballs, sadly.
I wondered if they could be small dead, Birch polypores. They have been a little spongy in the middle not what I would expect for crampballs.

Tony

rich290185
17-11-2011, 08:14 PM
could be, strangley i went back today and all of the had gone may be 2 dozen of them :confused2:

rossbird
17-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Hmm, that reminds me better pick those birch polypores.
I've been leaving them until they reach their full size.

JonnyP
17-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Sounds like True tinder fungus to me, as Lures suggested.. We found loads of it in Northern Sweden a few years ago.. It seems to like growing in colder climates, but I am no expert.. It looks very much like a burnt patch on the birch (and that is what to look for) and will grow in joints between branches and any damaged bits. When you cut it out it is yellow/ orange in colour inside. Its important to let it dry naturally, rather than force drying it by a fire etc. It is amazing stuff and will catch a spark from flint and steel and continue to smolder..

rich290185
18-11-2011, 07:40 PM
sorry guys so can birch polypores be used the same way as cramps?

bushcraftboy
18-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Well I live in Wales and we don't get any horse hoof fungus or crampballs :(.

But I did make a strop from the Birch polypore, and I charred some of it, and it really beat charcloth.

You can't use them the same way as crampballs.

rich290185
18-11-2011, 08:04 PM
mmm ill have a hunt next week and have a play :campfire: hopefully!

rossbird
18-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Well I live in Wales and we don't get any horse hoof fungus or crampballs :(.

But I did make a strop from the Birch polypore, and I charred some of it, and it really beat charcloth.

You can't use them the same way as crampballs.

Well there you go...never thought to make tinder from them, thanks BCB.

Willburfierce
14-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Hi Guys,

I've just read this thread and i am very interested in using fungus for tinder, i have read and seen a lot of stuff on the tinterweb about these different kinds of fungus, and have seen some crampballs when i lived upcountry, however at that time i didn't realize they could be used for tinder.

I now live in sunny Cornwall and can i find any.....Not one. has anyone from Cornwall got any good spots where i could harvest a few crampballs, i have looked around my local haunt (Kennal vale woods) but i haven't seen anything. Are crampballs only found further upcountry as the horse hoof fungus is????

Will.

Ashley Cawley
14-10-2012, 09:15 PM
I now live in sunny Cornwall and can i find any.....Not one. has anyone from Cornwall got any good spots where i could harvest a few crampballs, i have looked around my local haunt (Kennal vale woods) but i haven't seen anything. Are crampballs only found further upcountry as the horse hoof fungus is????

Will.Hi Will, congratulations on the move, to the best Country in the world & all ;)

Rest assured Crampballs are abundant in Cornwall, they come as big as your hands! :D Make sure your keeping an eye out for the under-sides of Ash logs/branches, fallen and/or still on the tree.

JonnyP
14-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Hi Guys,

I've just read this thread and i am very interested in using fungus for tinder, i have read and seen a lot of stuff on the tinterweb about these different kinds of fungus, and have seen some crampballs when i lived upcountry, however at that time i didn't realize they could be used for tinder.

Will.
If you are going to the meet, I can show you some of the fungus's and what to do with them..
Cramp balls grow mostly on dead ash trees, so look for woodland with mature ash trees growing..

Ashley Cawley
14-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Here's a video I made four years ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTMtHVxLrn4

Willburfierce
15-10-2012, 08:50 PM
hi guys, i will be popping along to the meet not sure if i can stop overnight though, but it will be good to meet you all and get to grips with the different funguses for tinder...awesome! See you there!!

jessecoderre
03-11-2012, 12:44 AM
Don't use the Chaga as a fire starter, take it home, grate it and put it in your coffee or tea, it is unbelievably good for you.