PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Knotweed (aka to some as Bamboo?)

bushcraftboy
26-10-2011, 08:41 PM
I just found the real name for the bamboo as everyone calls it, the Japanese Knotweed.

Not many people know this, and nearly everyone knows it as bamboo, anyway it is edible, the young stems, the water is safe to drink inside, you can find more info of PFAF. And there are classed as a superweed, the Uk uses 150~ million pound a year to control it, yet it's still everywhere, I'll be collecting some tomorrow, I will tell you how it tastes.

Thanks.

rossbird
26-10-2011, 09:02 PM
It's not Bamboo......but I have read you can eat it....best in spring I think.

bushcraftboy
26-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Yes, I know it's not bamboo, didn't you read?

GwersyllaCnau
27-10-2011, 12:38 AM
Japanese knotweed is an invasive species and should not be allowed to spread.
It spreads through its crown, rhizome (underground stem) and stem segments, rather than its seeds. The weed can grow a metre in a month and can grow through concrete and tarmac, damaging buildings and roads. Studies have shown that a 1cm section of rhizome can produce a new plant in 10 days. Rhizome segments can remain dormant in soil for twenty years before producing new plants.

The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 states that it is an offence to "plant or otherwise cause to grow in the wild" any plant listed in Schedule nine, Part II of the Act. This lists over 30 plants including Japanese knotweed, giant hogweed and parrot's feather.

If this plant is found growing on property it severely reduces the value. I certainly wouldn't buy a property with this growing on it coz I know how much damage it causes and how hard it is to get rid of it.

Sorry guys I used to work as an environmental consultant.

Martin
27-10-2011, 06:38 AM
I don't know anyone who calls Japanese Knot Weed, Bamboo. The two plants don't look in the least similar. Where did you get the impression that everyone calls Japanese Knot Weed, Bamboo?

Martin

Silverback
27-10-2011, 10:40 AM
I don't know anyone who calls Japanese Knot Weed, Bamboo. The two plants don't look in the least similar. Where did you get the impression that everyone calls Japanese Knot Weed, Bamboo?

Martin

In the part of West Yorkshire I'm originally from some of the kids I played with when I was 11 - 14 or so called Japanese Knot Weed 'bamboo' because it did remotely resemble it ..............................though that was 30 years ago !!

Maybe its a younger persons thing ?

jbrown14
27-10-2011, 11:15 AM
We have that plant over here in the States, and when I was a kid we called it "bamboo." We had a huge swath of it in our back yard when I was young, and my parents have a large patch between their driveway and the neighbor's property. My dad pointed out the stumps to me when I was there in the fall and said that the neighbor had just cut down all the dead bamboo. When I saw it in the spring, however, I had to correct him.

bushcraftboy
27-10-2011, 11:23 AM

Martin

My father, My friend, my friend's father, my mother, my brothers, and nearly everyone else who sees the plant, they just don't know much about plants, etc.

I'm going to eat some soon, but not today, as I'm a feeling a little ill. When I stand up, my legs feel wobbly, and I feel very weak.

Solidedge
27-10-2011, 05:56 PM
I have some Japanese knot weed in the bottom of my garden. I am not a good gardener. In fact It's the only plant that I can keep alive in my garden as I dont have to do anything apart from hit it with a strimmer and it spreads (joke :ashamed:).

Council will come out and put some very strong weed killer down if you ask them.

I can also remember drinking water out of the stalks when I was a kid. We use to get up on this mound(mountain) when i was a kid and get chased by the owners geese. We use to dive down the banking head first (i am sure if I did it now i would be dead) it use to be every kid for him self when those geese came out. But like warriors we use to camp out and try and live off the land to survive from these geese. Ok I'm rambling now........ (God is my child did this now he could look out), glad he didnt know what Dad use to get up to.

Ashley Cawley
27-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Japanese knotweed is an invasive species and should not be allowed to spread.
It spreads through its crown, rhizome (underground stem) and stem segments, rather than its seeds. The weed can grow a metre in a month and can grow through concrete and tarmac, damaging buildings and roads. Studies have shown that a 1cm section of rhizome can produce a new plant in 10 days. Rhizome segments can remain dormant in soil for twenty years before producing new plants.

The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 states that it is an offence to "plant or otherwise cause to grow in the wild" any plant listed in Schedule nine, Part II of the Act. This lists over 30 plants including Japanese knotweed, giant hogweed and parrot's feather.

If this plant is found growing on property it severely reduces the value. I certainly wouldn't buy a property with this growing on it coz I know how much damage it causes and how hard it is to get rid of it.

Sorry guys I used to work as an environmental consultant.Any tips for killing it off? I thought I remember hearing recently of something to simply paint on it's leaves? Was it Matt who said that? Can't remember what it was though! :ashamed:

alvino78
27-10-2011, 10:26 PM
roots are very deep and really need to be excavated out dont think there is a killer for it tho!!!
http://www.wiseknotweed.com/
i may be wrong!

Martin
28-10-2011, 06:49 AM
My father, My friend, my friend's father, my mother, my brothers, and nearly everyone else who sees the plant, they just don't know much about plants, etc.

I'm going to eat some soon, but not today, as I'm a feeling a little ill. When I stand up, my legs feel wobbly, and I feel very weak.

So, this is a family name rather than everyone?

Martin

bushcraftboy
28-10-2011, 09:17 AM
So, this is a family name rather than everyone?

Martin

Well not really but everyone just seems to call it bamboo, especially younger people.

GwersyllaCnau
28-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Can't see anything that you paint on its leaves working long term as it's the roots that you need to kill.
I've seen results from cutting the plant down to about an inch of stem (dispose of the plant carefully as they are classed as hazardous waste). Then inject NEAT CONCENTRATED weed killer into the root by pushing a thin cane down the stump to break into the root and carefully pouring about 5-10cc of concentrate into the stem. This has to be done for EVERY stump. The plant will still come back but each year will be less and less. The patch where I saw this method used was about 200 by 50 yards in area and became totally clear after 4 years but they carried this out twice a year.

If anyone has heard of a better less time consuming method please let me know.

rossbird
29-10-2011, 11:19 AM
I just found the real name for the bamboo as everyone calls it, the Japanese Knotweed.

Not many people know this, and nearly everyone knows it as bamboo, anyway it is edible, the young stems, the water is safe to drink inside, you can find more info of PFAF. And there are classed as a superweed, the Uk uses 150~ million pound a year to control it, yet it's still everywhere, I'll be collecting some tomorrow, I will tell you how it tastes.

Thanks.

So how did you find the taste?

bushcraftboy
29-10-2011, 04:35 PM
[QUOTE=bushcraftboy;26921]I just found the real name for the bamboo as everyone calls it, the Japanese Knotweed.

Thanks.[/QUOTE

So how did you find the taste?

Haven't had any yet, I'm feeling better now, I'll be out tomorrow mate, I'll report the taste back :)

They are mean't to be eaten in spring, but I can't find a reason why I can eat it now, maybe the taste will be more blade, people say it's like rhubarb.

http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Polygonum+japonicum

luresalive
29-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Over here we have japanese knotweed and we call it japanese knotweed, and I've eaten it stewed with sugar and it's gorgeous, tastes like rhubarb, it also lowers your cholesterol and is an anti-carcinogenic
Over here we have bamboo and we call it bamboo...

bushcraftboy
29-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Over here we have japanese knotweed and we call it japanese knotweed, and I've eaten it stewed with sugar and it's gorgeous, tastes like rhubarb, it also lowers your cholesterol and is an anti-carcinogenic
Over here we have bamboo and we call it bamboo...

Knotweed is supposed to be toxic in large quantities, something about blocking the good effect of other minerals.

luresalive
29-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Knotweed is supposed to be toxic in large quantities, something about blocking the good effect of other minerals.

So is alcohol, so is red meat, so is oily fish...there is always a happy medium..

If you want to taste it, only use the top 3 or 4 inches of the young tips otherwise it stays fibrous and won't stew down properly, add sugar or honey and cook well, and most importantly never take it from a place where it could possibly have been sprayed with a herbicide and you'd be surprised the places that have been sprayed!!!

bushcraftboy
29-10-2011, 09:49 PM
So is alcohol, so is red meat, so is oily fish...there is always a happy medium..

If you want to taste it, only use the top 3 or 4 inches of the young tips otherwise it stays fibrous and won't stew down properly, add sugar or honey and cook well, and most importantly never take it from a place where it could possibly have been sprayed with a herbicide and you'd be surprised the places that have been sprayed!!!

How am I going to know that? Where it's been sprayed?

luresalive
29-10-2011, 10:12 PM
How am I going to know that? Where it's been sprayed?

Thats the problem, always look for signs, markers, tape or even word of mouth, but don't take risks.

bushcraftboy
29-10-2011, 11:12 PM
Thats the problem, always look for signs, markers, tape or even word of mouth, but don't take risks.

Most knotweed I've seen is not marked, no signs or anything like that, plus my council is sh**.

GwersyllaCnau
30-10-2011, 07:18 AM
Carmarthenshire is actually pretty good with the control of knotweed

bushcraftboy
30-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Carmarthenshire is actually pretty good with the control of knotweed

Well I see it everywhere.

kernewek
16-11-2011, 10:01 AM
the only way to eradicate the dreaded knotweed is by systematic chemical intervention. sounds posh eh, in reality the tops are burned after being cut and the base is injected with nasty chemical, many times. its a hardy bugger!

best time toeat it is in the spring (march/april).
as the shoots start to grow, wait til they are six inches or so (about a weeks growth) and either saute in some butter or steam them. taste like bamboo crossed with rhubarb

inicdentally, they are confused with bamboo(although i have never heard anyone call it bamboo) because they have similar growth patterns, both growing in segments

hope thi sinfo is of use

rossbird
16-11-2011, 04:36 PM
The latest idea for control is to import a herbivorous insect from Japan.
Think we've been here before with introduced species:mad2:

Paracordist
20-11-2011, 03:35 AM
This is a horrible invasive plant here in USA New Hampshire.

Metal mug
20-11-2011, 06:28 AM
The latest idea for control is to import a herbivorous insect from Japan.
Think we've been here before with introduced species:mad2:And it's now been given the green light. :rolleyes: