PDA

View Full Version : First stove?

bushcraftboy
26-10-2011, 06:56 PM
I've tried making stoves from naphtha/white spirit, but the naphtha/spirit has to be pressurised to work efficiently and burn hotter. And because it needs ALOT of oxygen to stay alight, and it has soot. Anyway what should my first bought stove be? Because I wouldn't mind buying a good one, or I'll can make a meths stove.

mazmann
26-10-2011, 07:31 PM
these are a good starting block:

Nice and cheap too. Bottle for the meths and everything

Mike

bushcraftboy
26-10-2011, 08:26 PM
How long does a meths stove take to boil a litre of water?

rich290185
26-10-2011, 08:36 PM
I have one of these not used it much yet, takes 5-10 mins to boil depends how much water you want! i love it, its simple like me ;)

mazmann
26-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Yeah takes about 8 mins, loads of time to sit and watch the world go round.
The pot has a nice hook so that you can hang it off a branch etc

Mike

GwersyllaCnau
27-10-2011, 12:50 AM
these are a good starting block:

Nice and cheap too. Bottle for the meths and everything

Mike

I have one of these. After going down the gear geek route and buying expensive EASILY BROKEN stove that can nuke a litre of water in less that a minute. I decided I wanted something cheap and indestructable, the swiss army mess kit is that. Also I cook my food in the large tin, use it as my plate, boil my water in the small tin and use that as my mug. The mess tin also serves as storage for cutlery and food (I keep the meths and burner separate).

Dan XF
27-10-2011, 03:46 PM
I use an old pan from a trangia with a whitebox stove. Honestly, I saw that on here and had to buy one. Trangia are aluminium and transfer the heat from the whitebox in no time at all. Very light and doesn't seem to use as much meths as a Trangia, but you can adjust the burn on a Trangia. But when I want a brew or a meal I want it ASAP and can't wait for ever. Unless I've opted for my honey stove instead, which I use when I'm in need of relaxation and taking my time. Its almost as quick when you've lit it but to my mind is a bit expensive.

bushcraftboy
27-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Are any of the solid fuel stoves good?

mazmann
27-10-2011, 05:35 PM
I have used hexi stoves alot, you do in my line of work, but I hate them. They stink, they are always difficult to light when you need them and are just plain messy.

For work, when I can, I have a jet-boil, great for doing boil in the bag meals and quick brews.

I have a selection of stoves including a trangia set, with a gas attachment. A coleman petrol stove, good but smelly and with the nickname of the bomb for obvious reasons.

The swedish one is the one I use in the woods, however i am making a hobo set tomorrow.

I will take a pic of them all tomorrow so you can see the range.

Mike

bushcraftboy
27-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Nice mate :)

alvino78
27-10-2011, 11:26 PM
I have one of these. After going down the gear geek route and buying expensive EASILY BROKEN stove that can nuke a litre of water in less that a minute. I decided I wanted something cheap and indestructable, the swiss army mess kit is that. Also I cook my food in the large tin, use it as my plate, boil my water in the small tin and use that as my mug. The mess tin also serves as storage for cutlery and food (I keep the meths and burner separate).
if you usu the large pan for water and the small upside down as lid with say ur beans in u kill 2 birds one stone!!! lid prob solved with foil!

markal17
28-10-2011, 12:56 AM
the swiss army mess kit is great iv cooked with fuel and on a open fire id get one if i was you

Metal mug
28-10-2011, 05:54 AM
the swiss army mess kit is great iv cooked with fuel and on a open fire id get one if i was youWhere'd you get yours?

alvino78
28-10-2011, 08:06 AM
i got mine here!!!
http://www.militarymart.co.uk//index.php?searchStr=trangia&_a=viewCat&Submit=%C2%A0
good for all surplus and service good, best to buy loads postage still 7.50 i think!!!
hope this helps Al:happy-clapping:

bushcraftboy
28-10-2011, 09:18 AM
http://www.militarymart.co.uk//Aluminum-Swedish-Army-Trangia-Stove-Used/prod_393.html

??

alvino78
28-10-2011, 09:19 AM
http://www.militarymart.co.uk//Aluminum-Swedish-Army-Trangia-Stove-Used/prod_393.html

??

trangia swiss set!!!

bushcraftboy
28-10-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm going to get one, it says might have been stored up to 50 years ahah.

Silverback
28-10-2011, 10:53 AM
I'm going to get one, it says might have been stored up to 50 years ahah.

Sounds like the rat packs we used to get issued .....ahh babys heads, oatmeal blocks and proper biscuits fruit.

Anyway I digress. I made my own hobo works on meths, hexamine or wood. Best thing about cooking on an open fire is it keeps you warm too. Never a shortage of fuel. Mazzmans right, hexi stinks is difficult to light but as a standby option its great.

Not a big fan of gas as once its empty..then its empty but once again in the field its a godsend. Agree with GC the expensive all singing and all dancing stoves can go wrong and alot of the time arent fixable in the field.

I use a home made billy can and metal mug on my hobo/open fires and i have an optional set of Army issue mess tins if i
want.

Lastly you could do much worsee than the Army Trangia, but if you can pay a bit more and get stainless rather than alum - i think theres a review on the site somewhere

mazmann
28-10-2011, 03:53 PM
:DAs promised a picture of my stoves.

And the new hobo stove that I have just made, its clean in the pic.....not any more.

Mike

mazmann
28-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Sounds like the rat packs we used to get issued .....ahh babys heads, oatmeal blocks and proper biscuits fruit.

Anyway I digress. I made my own hobo works on meths, hexamine or wood. Best thing about cooking on an open fire is it keeps you warm too. Never a shortage of fuel. Mazzmans right, hexi stinks is difficult to light but as a standby option its great.

Not a big fan of gas as once its empty..then its empty but once again in the field its a godsend. Agree with GC the expensive all singing and all dancing stoves can go wrong and alot of the time arent fixable in the field.

I use a home made billy can and metal mug on my hobo/open fires and i have an optional set of Army issue mess tins if i
want.

Lastly you could do much worsee than the Army Trangia, but if you can pay a bit more and get stainless rather than alum - i think theres a review on the site somewhere

And don't forget the cheese possessed !

bushcraftboy
28-10-2011, 04:27 PM
:DAs promised a picture of my stoves.

And the new hobo stove that I have just made, its clean in the pic.....not any more.

Mike

Nice mate, I don't have any stoves. I'm going to get the one I listed, thanks, is it good?

mazmann
28-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Oh yes you will see it on my kit, the great thing is that it has a hook that you can use to hang it over a fire

Great price, great deal

Maz

Silverback
28-10-2011, 09:45 PM
And don't forget the cheese possessed !

Ha ha. Haven't heard it called that in years !!! It was in 10 man packs with the compo sausage YUMMY !!

mazmann
30-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Ha ha. Haven't heard it called that in years !!! It was in 10 man packs with the compo sausage YUMMY !!

And don't forget the bacon grill burgers, with its own fat. The amount of fruit cocktail tins that I heated up too.....

Mike

bushcraftboy
02-11-2011, 02:18 PM
As I said I'm going to buy this

But they have a stainless version(all used, no unused), should I get that, is it better? and do you get meths for free with it or just the bottle?

Metal mug
02-11-2011, 03:11 PM
As I said I'm going to buy this

But they have a stainless version(all used, no unused), should I get that, is it better? and do you get meths for free with it or just the bottle?You just get the bottle bb. The steel is easier to clean but takes a little longer to cook in, where as the aluminum is lighter but it can warp a little if you use it on the fire a lot. Not that it's a real problem it just means the lid can look a little dented in.

bushcraftboy
02-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Which one is stronger? And which one will last longer?

Which one do you think I should buy?

Metal mug
02-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Which one is stronger? And which one will last longer?

Which one do you think I should buy?I've just got a steel one and althought it's heavier it's a lot easier to clean. I was thinking of doing a review of steel vs ally soon. I must admit i've grown quite fond of steel now, mainly because it's easier to clean.

bushcraftboy
02-11-2011, 05:12 PM
So it's stronger and easy to clean, so I might get the stainless version, but there are no unused kits left, but they do have new aluminium versions left. So I think I'll get the aluminium one, I hope it is strong.

GwersyllaCnau
02-11-2011, 11:38 PM
I got the alu version, used it to death and it's (almost) like new.

bushcraftboy
03-11-2011, 05:47 PM
OK I've ordered the aluminium version with a spare seal and a kuska.

Metal mug
03-11-2011, 07:15 PM
OK I've ordered the aluminium version with a spare seal and a kuska.Let us know how you find it.

bushcraftboy
05-11-2011, 11:47 PM
B&Q's meths?

I payed 3.98 for a 500ml bottle of meths at B&Q, but I tested it in my pop can stove (my stove hasn't arrived from that shop yet) and it won't prime, I've made 15 holes using a dart on the can and it takes ages, so I can't put a pan directly on the pop can stove I have to use a structure made from the can mid section, why is it not priming?

Whistle
06-11-2011, 09:22 AM
B&Q's meths?

I payed 3.98 for a 500ml bottle of meths at B&Q, but I tested it in my pop can stove (my stove hasn't arrived from that shop yet) and it won't prime, I've made 15 holes using a dart on the can and it takes ages, so I can't put a pan directly on the pop can stove I have to use a structure made from the can mid section, why is it not priming?

Hi Bushcraftboy ... My guess would be that your holes are too large a diameter ( or too many ) and the pressure is not getting a chance to build high enough to bloom .
Perhaps try another build but use a needle , or better get a drill bit set ( 0.1 - 1 mm ) from a model shop or Maplins and a pin vice .
Always start with small holes and you can enlarge them untill you achieve the flame spread you require !
Check out Zen Alcohol Stoves ... A completely comprehensive guide to stove building and contains charts relating to numbers of jets and their diameters

Hope linky thingy works ... http://zenstoves.net/Construction.htm

Hope it helps , but dont give up , alcohol stoves are great and very rewarding when you build a good'n !!!

Cheers Whistle

cuppa joe
06-11-2011, 10:56 AM
http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?1253-Clas-Ohlson-Spirit-stove..%A39.99&highlight=clas+ohlsonclas ohlon stove ...£9.99 like the optimus and trangia works great and at that price you dont mind it getting knocked around...lighter than the trangia 27 too...under 700grams.

bushcraftboy
06-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Hi Bushcraftboy ... My guess would be that your holes are too large a diameter ( or too many ) and the pressure is not getting a chance to build high enough to bloom .
Perhaps try another build but use a needle , or better get a drill bit set ( 0.1 - 1 mm ) from a model shop or Maplins and a pin vice .
Always start with small holes and you can enlarge them untill you achieve the flame spread you require !
Check out Zen Alcohol Stoves ... A completely comprehensive guide to stove building and contains charts relating to numbers of jets and their diameters

Hope linky thingy works ... http://zenstoves.net/Construction.htm

Hope it helps , but dont give up , alcohol stoves are great and very rewarding when you build a good'n !!!

Cheers Whistle

Thanks!, the holes I made were from a dart which are about 3mm, much to big, how many holes do you say is best? I have a needle I'll use that(it's 1mm) I'm using pepsi max cans if it matters because they are stronger than other pop cans, like 7up, iron brew,cola, sprite, etc.

Whistle
06-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks!, the holes I made were from a dart which are about 3mm, much to big, how many holes do you say is best? I have a needle I'll use that(it's 1mm) I'm using pepsi max cans if it matters because they are stronger than other pop cans, like 7up, iron brew,cola, sprite, etc.

Hi Bushcraftboy ... Don'wanna sound too techie but do take a look at the Zen site ... all the information you need is there , it will give you a good idea of how it all works !!!

Then check out alcohol stoves on YouTube , there are lots of " how to " vids , different builds and examples of different types of stoves !

But most of all just experiment !!! Try different numbers of jets , different jet sizes but always start with fewer and smaller . That way you can either add more jets or enlarge them untill you acheive the flame spread you require ...

If you start with , for example , eight holes and the jets are too fierce you can add more holes between the existing ones , to sixteen that will roughly half the pressure of a jet and hence the size by half .
Taking the smaller hole jets and enlaging them will achieve the same sort of effect !!!

Have fun !!!

Cheers Whistle

bushcraftboy
06-11-2011, 04:11 PM
Thanks, I've built one and it works good.

Whistle
06-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks, I've built one and it works good.

Well done !!! ... Now you can have a brew anywhere any time !!!

Cheers Whistle

bushcraftboy
06-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Takes a while for the flames to come out the sides, but it works good, thanks for the help :)

markal17
06-11-2011, 11:16 PM
hows the cooking lol

bushcraftboy
07-11-2011, 12:04 PM
I can make tea and stuff, but I haven't been using stove like these very long.

GwersyllaCnau
07-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Tip for you when putting the stove out Bushcraftboy... Get some Blue tack. I use it to stick the lid of the burner upside down to a stick. then its's easy to put out the burner with out burning myself or trying to drop the lid on .

bushcraftboy
22-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Well I may as well bump this thread, as I just withdrawn my money from paypal after 6 months of being limited, I'm very happy now... although I'm 15 I think £154 (actually earned it myself, programming software at a forum) is alot at my age, but waiting for 6months kills you.

Anyway as Metal Mug suggested, I was going to buy the Swedish mess kit/maths stove, I did buy it but something went wrong with the order and I ended up buying soldering iron tips, so now I can buy a completely now stove, what should I get then?

A Steel Swedish meths stove?

Thanks.

rich290185
22-11-2011, 07:27 PM
lol you could cook with a soldering iron it would just take a reallllllly long time :ashamed:

bushcraftboy
22-11-2011, 10:40 PM
I guess I may as well just buy the Swedish trangia :) I will get the aluminium version as they are new, and the steel one's are not.

GwersyllaCnau
23-11-2011, 12:07 AM
Even with the "New" ones don't expect nice and shiny and perfect paintwork.
The new ones are just less battered than the used ones lol.

Still, I wouldn't swap my alu swedish army stove for any other type of stove.

bushcraftboy
23-11-2011, 12:18 AM

Still, I wouldn't swap my alu swedish army stove for any other type of stove.

For like £7.50 and kuska and spare o-ring, I think £13 is awesome value. I would like to buy it from Greenman Bushcraft as I'm ordering a few things from there too, but they don't have a good range of stoves.
I wonder how bad the new ones are, I want one not brand new, but not bad on the eyes.

kINGPIN
23-11-2011, 05:18 AM
My trangias have had so much use over the years, spend a bit extra and get one thats guarenteed to be in good nick.

JEEP
23-11-2011, 07:07 AM
It can be a bit of hit and miss with the Swedish army trangias; when I bought mine (the steel version), there were both steel and alu versions available at the store. All of them seemingly unused - but, some were prettey banged up and some was in a fair condition, not depending on materials btw.

The problem most often seen is the fact that the lid of the burner has cracked. I have replaced the original burner with a new one - which should, according to tests, be more fuel efficient anyway.

GwersyllaCnau
23-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Got to agree with Jeep. I use the Swedish army COOKSET with a modern trangia burner because the original burner that came with the cookset was big, heavy and had a cracked lid. But saying that I've still got the original burner and It's perfectly usable.

bushcraftboy
23-11-2011, 01:06 PM
I'll buy it with an extra burner seal, I'm going to get the alu version hoping that the new one's are still in good condition. Other meths stoves I've seen are insane prices, sometime just for a burner.

Metal mug
23-11-2011, 02:21 PM

Still, I wouldn't swap my alu swedish army stove for any other type of stove.I don't worry myself about what they look like. Usually after 5 minutes with me they look pretty battered. :D

bushcraftboy
23-11-2011, 03:29 PM
I don't worry myself about what they look like. Usually after 5 minutes with me they look pretty battered. :D

Haha, shows they've been used well :)

GwersyllaCnau
23-11-2011, 04:08 PM
I'll buy it with an extra burner seal, I'm going to get the alu version hoping that the new one's are still in good condition. Other meths stoves I've seen are insane prices, sometime just for a burner.

If the lid is cracked like it was on mine the extra burner seal will be useless. Or just let the burner go out on its own so you don't have meths leaking all over your kit. You'll soon learn to judge the correct amount of fuel.

OR.....

Make your own burner!!!!

I made this using bigzees design

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?1806-What-are-you-working-on-right-now&p=29676#post29676

Peaks
23-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Hi,
Have a look at Military Mart for purchasing the Swedish cookers- they do steel + alu ones, plus the larger (600ml) folding cups. (No connection with the company, just a satisfied customer). The military burner is ok, but I use a Tatonka instead. The Esbit meths burners are reputedly good too, and they have a little handle on the simmer ring which assists the snuffing out process.

JEEP
24-11-2011, 06:13 AM
The Esbit burner is a 1:1 copy of the Trangia, with the addition of the smal handle on the simmering ring.

bushcraftboy
24-11-2011, 03:02 PM
I guess I'll buy that and the Swedish cook set, thanks :) Or I could just make a burner, but is there anything really wrong with using the meths burner that came with the set?

cuppa joe
24-11-2011, 03:14 PM
There are many versions some old some new like the meta 50 and such. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP0uuuSdFV0
and http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/showtopic.php?tid/17690/

cuppa joe
24-11-2011, 03:21 PM
The askalit "clas ohlson" spirit stove is a copy of the optimus trapper but with a modern brass coloured burner.
http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?1253-Clas-Ohlson-Spirit-stove-%A39-99&highlight=clas+ohlson

GwersyllaCnau
25-11-2011, 01:34 PM

Some detailed pics of the "NEW" Swedish army cookset bought from www.militarymart.co.uk This was delivered a week ago and has not been used yet. I bought it for my son... My one is a bit more battered than this but still love it. The last pic is of the supplied burner on the right and the modern trangia on the left.

GwersyllaCnau
25-11-2011, 02:38 PM
A couple more

bushcraftboy
25-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Why is the crack a bad thing, does it leak the meths or something?

Metal mug
25-11-2011, 03:56 PM
Why is the crack a bad thing, does it leak the meths or something?Only if you store some meths in the burner itself.

RobbC
25-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Why is the crack a bad thing, does it leak the meths or something?

You could easily braize, or solder the hole to make it effective again.

Robb

bushcraftboy
25-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Only if you store some meths in the burner itself.

No point in that I'd make sure there's no meths left in the stove.

GwersyllaCnau
26-11-2011, 02:57 AM
No point in that I'd make sure there's no meths left in the stove.

Exactly!!

The burner is still perfectly usable and for £15 including p+p (uk) you get a very reliable cookset.

I've had a jetboil, msr pocket rocket, camping gaz stove, a very old (about 50 years old) Optimus Svea Liquid Fuel Stove, hexamine block stove, coleman sportster 533. I've broken most of them and I still keep going back to the Swedish army stove. In fact the only ones that I haven't broken are the hexamine block stove but its now held together with copper wire. The optimus still works perfectly but it isn't really mine, my father gave it to me when I was about 10 years old, and I still treat it as his, he used it when he was 19 (he'll be 70 next month) hiking around Germany, Austria and Switzerland for 6 months. Brilliant stove.

Metal mug
26-11-2011, 06:25 AM
Exactly!!

The burner is still perfectly usable and for £15 including p+p (uk) you get a very reliable cookset.

I've had a jetboil, msr pocket rocket, camping gaz stove, a very old (about 50 years old) Optimus Svea Liquid Fuel Stove, hexamine block stove, coleman sportster 533. I've broken most of them and I still keep going back to the Swedish army stove. In fact the only ones that I haven't broken are the hexamine block stove but its now held together with copper wire. The optimus still works perfectly but it isn't really mine, my father gave it to me when I was about 10 years old, and I still treat it as his, he used it when he was 19 (he'll be 70 next month) hiking around Germany, Austria and Switzerland for 6 months. Brilliant stove.

That's great. A real family heirloom. :)

bushcraftboy
26-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Didn't know what to do so I just bought a aluminium unissued Swedish stove with kuska, be here in a few days, go up the woods, I can spend more time there then.

Thanks guys.

Peaks
26-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Don't think you'll regret it.
I use a hip flask from a charity shop for storing the meths in rather than the plastic bottle supplied with the stove - when its cold I keep it in my inside jacket pocket so that it lights easier. As said previously there are better meths burners than the military one, and you soon get used to sussing out just how much meths to put in the burner. The military one is perfectly adequate though.

If you aren't used to cooking like this check out the Trangia recipes on the military mart website (link is on the very bottom of their pages) and there are lots of trangia recipes out on the web with cooking tips.

Enjoy it!

bushcraftboy
27-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks I just looked at them!

I'd rather use a clear bottle to keep meths in, what if someone drank from the flask, they will be dead, meths is about 90% ethanol, some methanol to make it highly toxic (although I've read some alcoholics still drink it) some pyridine to make it smell different, and dye.

RobbC
27-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Meths poisoning is easily cured, you just have to drink ethanol pretty soon after.

Robb

Peaks
27-11-2011, 04:57 PM
I clearly mark the flask, also deliberately bought one which is very different from my "proper" hip flask.............and make sure I don't pass it around :)

Metal mug
27-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Put this on the flask.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POISON-SIGN-WARNING-STICKER-DECAL-VINYL-NEW-/130606160140?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item1e68bbd90c

Peaks
27-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Brill! Ta

GwersyllaCnau
30-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Have you received the stove kit yet BCB

bushcraftboy
30-11-2011, 04:45 PM
No I have not :(

Does anyone know what postage is like with MilitaryMart, as my first order went bad, and I ordered these Saturday should be here by now.

As soon as I get my stove I'm going up Cwm ^^

Peaks
30-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Hi,
always had v good service from them. I ordered some of the 600ml folding cups end of last week and they arrived today. Never had any probs - possibly a prob with Royal Mail?

Have you rung them to see when it went into the post - guessing they will have posted Monday or Tues?

GwersyllaCnau
01-12-2011, 12:20 AM
I've ordered several times from them always received the goods 2 or 3 days after ordering.

bushcraftboy
01-12-2011, 12:41 AM
I've ordered several times from them always received the goods 2 or 3 days after ordering.

Should be here later this morning.

GwersyllaCnau
01-12-2011, 12:54 AM
I wanna see pics of 1st use in Cwm LOL. Have fun don't get burnt

bushcraftboy
01-12-2011, 10:02 AM
I'll take a camera, but the stove isn't here yet...

My Mother phoned them and they said if it isn't here by tomorrow they'll send a new one out, very good!

Still haven't got it :(

bushcraftboy
02-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Got the stove just made a cup of tea, love it, will take a camera up Cwm, although I'm also taking the stove for beans? and tea. Beans are the easiest thing to make lol. The Kuksa that came with the stove don't fit inside properly though :( Great though.

rossbird
02-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Look forward to the pics BCB, enjoy:D

Peaks
02-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Hi BCB,
Glad it arrived - enjoy it! Try taking a small flat piece of wood or a coaster type of mat to put under the burner to keep it off the ground so that it doesn't draw the heat out. If its as cold down your way as it has been up here in Derbyshire, keep the meths close to your body to keep it warm and you'll find it'll light more easily.

Chuck some chorizo sausages or pepperoni into the beans and you've sort of got a chili

Check out the recipes on Military Mart site too

Look forward to seeing the pics mate.............:)

bushcraftboy
02-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Hi BCB,
Glad it arrived - enjoy it! Try taking a small flat piece of wood or a coaster type of mat to put under the burner to keep it off the ground so that it doesn't draw the heat out. If its as cold down your way as it has been up here in Derbyshire, keep the meths close to your body to keep it warm and you'll find it'll light more easily.

Chuck some chorizo sausages or pepperoni into the beans and you've sort of got a chili

Check out the recipes on Military Mart site too

Look forward to seeing the pics mate.............:)

I've seen the recipes on MM they are good, but nothing I fancy, not to fussed though.

Yes I understand that if the burner is directly on the ground, the earth will act as a heatsink, pulling some of the heat from the burner, it's very fuel efficient!

I'd probably keep the meths in my pocket, may seem stupid but when meths is warmer as you know, it'll be more volatile and will light easier.

Thanks! :)

GwersyllaCnau
02-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Glad you've finally got the stove.

bushcraftboy
02-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks mate!

The quality of it is very good, and the stove is quite good on fuel.

Metal mug
03-12-2011, 07:04 AM
Now the next challenge is to make a three course meal. :)