PDA

View Full Version : Survival tins

chris_leech
26-10-2011, 07:31 PM
As title, who carries them and what have you in in them?

Here's mine;

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx120/chrisleech/a1a26f71.jpg
Circa 40ft of 550 para with some electrical tape to waterproof the contents.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx120/chrisleech/f7284ecb.jpg
In the lid are four lots of four matches waterproofed with electrical tape.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx120/chrisleech/c190dcc6.jpg
Gerber stl2.5 knife, mag fire steel, mag-lite torch, small compass, loud erm....women's safety whistle, lighter and wire saw.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx120/chrisleech/b98b61d5.jpg
Some tinder/note paper, cotton wool, wet and dry and some water purifier tablets (20)

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx120/chrisleech/467f53d1.jpg
And it floats!!

So let's have a look at yours then.

Chris

Realearner
26-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Still building mine, but like the contents of yours.

Dan XF
26-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Trying to remember what was in mine. Small knife, button compass, wire saw, stock cubes, signal mirror, fishing line with hooks and weights, condom, fire starter with small hacksaw blade, scalpel blade and small maglite I think. To be honest the idea of using any of that stuff if stuck behind enemy lines used to maje me break into a cold sweat. If I'd been stuck behind the lines I'd have wanted to be stranded with a group of Spec Forces thanks.

Martin
27-10-2011, 07:53 AM
I must admit, I don't carry a survival tin. I would be very interested to find out, under what circumstances you could invisage using such a collection in the UK?

Martin

Colliewobble
27-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Is the idea that you have a survival tin with you at all times, just in case?
I carry stuff in the car, like a spade and bits of carpet in the winter, mebbe an extra blanket chucked in if it's cold and snowy. If I'm out walking or backpacking I've probably got enough gear to be ok, but I must admit if I'm running I should probably take more stuff. Usually it's just a waterproof top and a whistle, maybe a headtorch...

dave budd
27-10-2011, 10:46 AM
i've got a mobile phone. does that count?

Martin
27-10-2011, 11:05 AM
i've got a mobile phone. does that count?

Far more useful I would imagine Dave. ;)

Martin

Colliewobble
27-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Only if you can get a signal. Not much good for catching a trout, or digging a snow hole.
Or chopping wood...

Martin
27-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Only if you can get a signal. Not much good for catching a trout, or digging a snow hole.
Or chopping wood...

True, but why would you want to catch trout or chop wood? If you were fit enough to perform those tasks, wouldn't you be better off walking to the nearest road or to somewhere where you can get a signal? :confused:

Martin

Silverback
27-10-2011, 11:53 AM
True, but why would you want to catch trout or chop wood? If you were fit enough to perform those tasks, wouldn't you be better off walking to the nearest road or to somewhere where you can get a signal? :confused:

Martin

It is regularly being impressed on outdoors folk that reliance on mobile phones is not the way forward, particularly in mountainous terrain. Battery life and signal are somewhat unreliable at best and contrary to popular belief triangulation of position isnt that accurate either.

There has been far too much reliance on the mobile phone (and certain other electrial devices) over the last 5 years leading to a marked increase in call outs for our SAR teams - nearly all of which are staffed entirely by volunteers.

A better substitute for a mobile phone would be torch and fresh batteries - being able to find your way off in the dark is preferable to spending a cold wet night on a moor or mountain, allowing the SAR teams a warm dry night in bed.

http://www.mountain.rescue.org.uk/news/be-bright-pack-a-torch

http://www.mountain.rescue.org.uk/news/its-half-term-the-incidents-are-on-the-up-and-the-clocks-are-about-to-go-back-be-careful

Rant over.:happy-clapping:

Rather than carry a 'survival' tin I have a possibles pouch which has a few bits and bobs in it just in case I become separated from my main rucksack. Theres a dynamo torch, a penknife, some puritabs, bit of first aid stuff, candles, lighter, flint and steel, different tinders,550 cord, potassium permanganate crystals, sugar, instant tea, orange and chocolate drinks wire saw (taught old habits - die hard). ;)

paulthefish2009
27-10-2011, 12:03 PM
I do tend to agree with you Martin,99.9% of the time you would have little or no need for a survival tin,but there is no harm in having one tucked away . Most of us when out even just walking the dogs probaly have the makings of a survival tin about our person any way.

chris_leech
27-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Mine is simply born from fear of falling/breaking a leg/getting lost if I'm lone hiking and then dying. Hence why there are no fishing gear etc.

I use the stuff out of mine quite a bit when I'm just out and about, such as the odd bit of tape, paper, torch. I tend to carry it in any coat I have on as it's light and fits comfortably in my inside pockets.

And I always have my phone anyway.

Colliewobble
27-10-2011, 01:08 PM
I was just taking the mick, really. That's the kind of thing most survival tins cope with; like you, I can't imagine a circumstance where I'd need to do any of that, although I often can't get a phone signal!
No offence intended to those who do carry survival tins, I suppose it depends on what you've been doing, and where you are, up when you find yourself stranded. And I suppose there's no harm in knowing you could survive, if you had to!

chris_leech
27-10-2011, 01:10 PM
None taken mate :)

Colliewobble
27-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Cheers!

comanighttrain
27-10-2011, 02:01 PM
uhh situationally I carry different stuff... dont really have a tin though..

Always have my swiss army knife which has a saw, scissors etc...

whenever im out I at the very least have a blizzard bag and a torch as well as my whistle/firesteel. More often than not a bothy bag as well.

Silverback
27-10-2011, 02:06 PM
I was just taking the mick, really.

You actually made a viable point earlier about winterising your vehicle. In winter when you run out of fuel and are stuck your car/van etc will turn into a fridge. Its worthwhile carrying a shovel, small bag of grit and de icer at the very minimum, if you want to add blanket / sleeping bag and food / water.

Remember what happened last year......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-11884152

Martin
27-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Well, I guess that's my point. When I go out, into wild terrain, I always carry, first aid kit, map and spare waterproof version, compass, torch, emergency rations, Adventure Medical Kits emergeny bivi bag, Blizzard Bag (if only a day trip), whistle, spare phone battery, stove and fuel, knife and of course my waterproofs and food and drink for the day. I have seen and heard of 'survival' tins but just can't see where they would get used in the UK.

Martin

CanadianMike
27-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Or chopping wood...

Aren't there apps for that? :P

LandRoverMatt
27-10-2011, 02:56 PM
got a little survival tin with fire steel little saw water tablets whistle and i cant remember the rest

Silverback
27-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Aren't there apps for that? :P

" I will give up my mobile when they prise my cold dead fingers from around it " ;) Joking aside normally when out and about in my area I have more chance of having a conversation with Liverpool Coastguard station (50 miles away) on my VHF than I have my missus on my mobile (10 miles) - thats why my VHF radio is generally one bit of kit I always have to hand (one in car and one in rucksack -spare batteries too)

Realearner
27-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Love all the comments, seems to have two different groups.
But going to work in a factory or office I don't think a survival tin is much use.
When out and about then some extra equipment could be useful, would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it ;)
A spare wheel is in my car I don't need it but it's there.

alvino78
27-10-2011, 09:53 PM
belt pouch with first aid kit, multi tool, torch,fire steel and water pure tabs on same belt is always one of my knives and a para cord braid so i think or hope i get by,considering your never really far from a road in england:) also i have a belt waterbottle and steel mug!

Solidedge
28-10-2011, 11:55 AM
I do tend to agree with you Martin,99.9% of the time you would have little or no need for a survival tin,but there is no harm in having one tucked away . Most of us when out even just walking the dogs probaly have the makings of a survival tin about our person any way.

I think i'd rarther have it than not. if the SHTF

Scouts: Be Prepared ;)

I dont have one but would like to put one together to fit inside my kayak when out and about.

Silverback
28-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Well I have just winterised my van, AND my rucksack so duvet jacket, wool mitts, extra food have gone into the sack (lots of batteries anyway given the nature of my other activities).

Van has doss bag and mat in it, shovel, grit and de icer (needed it this AM windscreen frozen over), Ice axes and crampons as well as kahtoola microspikes - added some bol in the bag food too.

radoslavkirilov
17-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Hello people of Earth,
Actually we have to speak about wilderness survival tin because you have to have it allways in your pocket. In fact I carry in my jacket RAC Wind-up torch and Mora of Sweden 2000 in the left pocket and a big "Golden Virginia" tobacco tin with the most important survival tools in the right pocket. When I go in the bushes I wear just small cheap backpack which weight is just 300 grams or 7.1 kg including 1 litre of water in a half litre "Thermos" and half litre of water in aluminium canteen bottle, folding shovel, folding saw, 17'' machete, Metal Mug, First Aid Kit, Emergency bivvi bag, 20 litres camping shower, Duct tape, Fishing/snare Kit, plus few differnt quality hats depending the weather. But I'm trained ex-soldier of the bulgarian army and I have the habits to be prepared at all costs. What about a 500 grams box with priceless gadgets: unused magnesium stick 12000 strikes, stainless steel mirror, activated coal pills x 20 for poisoning and diarrhoea, pills about alergic reactions X 20, Ibuprofen 400 x 20, paracetamol x 20, a pack of Potassium permanganate (many important uses), mini fishing and snare kit, big needle and strong thread, and other small artefacts like plastic tube to drink water from ground or holes. Good collection isn't it? I expect all kinds of answers. Let's speak about "a comprehensive list of items in a wilderness survival tin" - this will be the most visited forum in the whole world!

Radoslav, Bulgaria

cuppa joe
17-11-2011, 01:33 PM
i have a credit card instead

Silverback
17-11-2011, 01:50 PM
If we change its name to 'possibles pouch' rather than 'survival tin' does it make it any more 'acceptable' ?

bare grills
11-01-2012, 05:15 PM
i call it an EDC ....
i have the contents for but not the maxpedition edc pouch . once the january credit card bill is paid i will order one and have my EDC with me almost all the time ..

modeled on this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juB1pdB72x0 . not only for survival (heaven forbid the worst did ever happen) but useful in the event of an accident at work , in the car or out walking but a few bits and bobs to help out with say a car breakdown etc etc etc ..

survival ? ( probably not ) but handy and will almost certainly get me or others out of a scrape at some point !!!

Basha72
11-01-2012, 06:39 PM
The Survival tin back in the day was one of the things you put together as part of your learning, what do i need how do i use it etc etc everybodys was different.

When i did my 4 star leadership course back in 1991 we were all checked prior to the survival section of the course, people were to display their tins, mine was as near to loftys as I could get it with money and resources available others had theirs full of fags loose change or mars bars etc. The idea was we could have been out for weeks rather than then two days we were SO IT WAS BETTER TO HAVE THE TIN than not have the tin for the room it takes up on your person, so I don't see why people would dismiss the idea of needing one, its a tried and tested piece of kit that can be put together fairly cheaply these days.

I guess some people think of the survival tin as a Rambo accessory ! I think its a great bit of kit to have along with a possibles pouch in the car also with some rations

Mine is the one on the left, Ive just bought my lad the Lofty tin, up to him to fill it.

Contents include methods of making fire, flint & magnesium, "found while out walking 20yrs ago" matches, lifeboat matches , magnifying lense, candle to get fire going then remove again, compass, fishing kit, sewing kit, snares, wire saw "found in a tree 20yrs ago", potassium permanganate,large sail needle, small knife, safety pins, pencil, tin opener, condom, plasters, puritabs, scalpels. then place in a old ipk bag with para cord around that.

Basha

Silverback
11-01-2012, 07:30 PM
in a old ipk bag

now theres a blast from the past............ 'kit individual - protection', up there with babies heads, combopens and the S6 - happy days.

Anyway I have much the same except its in a waterproof tupperware box and its with my waterbottle in a pouch from an ops vest

Basha72
11-01-2012, 08:39 PM
now theres a blast from the past............ 'kit individual - protection', up there with babies heads, combopens and the S6 - happy days.

Anyway I have much the same except its in a waterproof tupperware box and its with my waterbottle in a pouch from an ops vest

We got them of the TA at the time they were in the mood for giving us cadets back then some kit, the kit itself is very useful just to have in the boot of the car, you can buy a IPK for about a £5

My Possibly pouch is the SAS E+E pouch which I got for £1, with mess tin the old mod fishing kit, heliograph, some rations a knife etc etc

Silverback
11-01-2012, 09:01 PM
, you can buy a IPK for about a £5

Wow ! I may have one or two kicking about somewhere that got 'lost' might bang em on fleabay

Ben Casey
11-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Wow ! I may have one or two kicking about somewhere that got 'lost' might bang em on fleabay

If you do and they are complete give me a shout first will you? :)

Silverback
11-01-2012, 10:35 PM
If you do and they are complete give me a shout first will you? :)

If i still have them they are sealed Ben. Yup no probs. The amount of mine sweeping i did maybe I could have been in the navy ;)

Ben Casey
11-01-2012, 10:43 PM
If i still have them they are sealed Ben. Yup no probs. The amount of mine sweeping i did maybe I could have been in the navy ;)

Cheers mate I left most of my stuff behind in Germany :( But a mate of mine is sending me some police rations over from Ireland he says they are nearly the same as the MOD ones so I will have something new to test soon :) And I think it was a favorite passtime for us all the odd bit of minesweeping and borrowing on the long term basis :D

Silverback
11-01-2012, 11:40 PM
and i think it was a favorite passtime for us all the odd bit of minesweeping and borrowing on the long term basis :d

"shiny !!!!!"

Roadkillphil
11-01-2012, 11:47 PM
I think it was a favorite passtime for us all the odd bit of minesweeping and borrowing on the long term basis :D
It helped if you had mates in the QMs dept :D I've still got crap in my garage from minesweeping that's never been used, but I thought it would come in useful one day

Basha72
12-01-2012, 12:10 AM
It helped if you had mates in the QMs dept :D I've still got crap in my garage from minesweeping that's never been used, but I thought it would come in useful one day

There's a use for everything :-) it's just getting the wife to understand lol, just never let them sort through it or they would bin the lot of it !!

PS Nothing was ever stolen it was borrowed !
Basha

Silverback
12-01-2012, 12:26 AM

2 best mates CQMS & The cook :happy-clapping:

Silverback
12-01-2012, 12:28 AM
There's a use for everything :-) it's just getting the wife to understand lol, just never let them sort through it or they would bin the lot of it !!

PS Nothing was ever stolen it was borrowed !
Basha

minesweeping .................. Its MINE and I'm SWEEPING it away ...............

LSKnives
30-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Id have to agree with martin. I dont carry a survival tin. The odd time Ill carry a tobacco tin with tinder and a fire steel. That and a good knife. If I need anything more serious Ill take a day pack with a folding saw, Wetterlings 19" axe and my billy can.

CanadianMike
30-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Told ya you'd fit right in around here. :)

David_JAFO
24-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Told ya you'd fit right in around here. :)

hello,
Interesting read there Sapper4083. I'm from the 'old school of survival' trained by the best HM Armed Forces & still carry
3 survival tins as taught duplicated on my person & within my kit. Going out into the TGO (The Great Outdoors)
under prepped & you mention our brave SAR/Mountain Rescue Volunteers who put life & limb on the line 24/7/365,
IMO I've always said if these Services/Emergency Services are brought out & your under prepped sheer negligence
well I'd suggest you pay for that full operational costs.
I still have my own GPS (dated but still works) from Gulf War I had it checked out last year & still in very
good condition (again old school) map,compass & knowledge how to use such. Always interested to share & read
fellow enthusiasts opinions on these matters.
Regards
David

Silverback
24-08-2012, 04:16 PM
hello,
you mention our brave SAR/Mountain Rescue Volunteers who put life & limb on the line 24/7/365,
IMO I've always said if these Services/Emergency Services are brought out & your under prepped sheer negligence
well I'd suggest you pay for that full operational costs.

You'd be hard pressed to put a cost on an actual MR rescue..... excluding the Police, and Ambulance service the whole damned lot is funded by contributions (air ambulances are charities and staffed by volunteers)and out of the members own pockets..had 2 call outs this week who paid for the responding members fuel ? Thats right we did.

As someone who turns out to these incidents they are not as regular as some would have you believe. (We do an equal amount of assistance to the Police on rural searches for missing people) I for one would not like to see compulsory insurance in the outdoors but i do reserve the right to be a bit miffed when I'm razzed out of bed at 0300 for a job.

comanighttrain
24-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Should we charge people for police and medical assistance when they wander into the wrong side of town?

I think people who are not familiar with the dangers will always be wandering into the wild with careless abandon. Happily some of the time someone will pull them out and give them a bit of a telling off. Tragically some times they will get taken back in a plastic sack. I don't think we should be charging people for emergency services - I think the MR should be government funded!

Maybe we should make people pay for treatments and medical bills for smoking induced illnesses? certainly people cannot be unaware of that danger, and the money recovered would surely cover MR and pay wages to the MR workers...

craige
24-08-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm going to keep out of the mr debate... but smokers do pay for medical treatment. If they never cigarettes would cost under £1 a packet! Maybe the gov should charge drug/alcohol addicts.

craige
24-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Sorry forgot this was about survival tins... Its difficult to get more than a few hours walk in any direction from a road in the UK so I think adequate warm/waterproof clothing, extra water a whistle and a lighter would be plenty if I was to injure myself.

Silverback
24-08-2012, 06:19 PM
I think the MR should be government funded!

In Scotland it is. With Govt money comes govt interference, audit nazis, response times et al. Recently Danny Alexander released £200k a year to MR. £68k of that went to Scotlands MR teams, £8K to NI leaving the balance to England and Wales it works out at around £2.5 k per team, but theres a whole load of regulations and rules to go along with the cash. Too many to go into on here.

Maybe we don't want wages, maybe we like our volunteer status...thats why most of us continue to do it unpaid. Maybe most of you would be amazed at just exactly where MR are turning up these days and what work we actually do.

Maybe some of us would be happy with VAT free kit and a reduction in personal fuel costs...... I know I would.

In Dec 2010 a set of villages in South Yorkshire were cut off for 3 days and needed MR assistance to its population. MR was the first emergency service on scene - there are 2 petrol stations on either side of a crossroads in one of the villages.

At the time of the incident those stations were selling diesel at 118.9p a litre, less than 2 years later its 141.9p locally. Thats a 22p per litre increase, the cost of that fuel is being borne by MR members most of whom don't travel direct to a base but direct to the incident..it saves time.

We now have a campaign to get VAT free fuel for Air Ambulances because they are getting charged full whack - the cost of being a volunteer is increasing - quickly

:Sorry::off-topic:

Silverback
24-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Its difficult to get more than a few hours walk in any direction from a road in the UK

Doesn't stop it killing people every year though. As i have said before if you think less 'survival' tin and more possibles pouch does it change your thinking ?T^

FishyFolk
24-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Never had one of these tins. But my EDC bushcraft bag covers it. I have not got a fishing kit in it, and if there where a place, I would most likely bring a proper rod and reel.
Besides, if I was in a shape to fish, i would simply walk home...

When I was in Africa and the ME I always had a grab bag/run bag with survival essentials packed, including food and water. That was never more than an arms length away from me, hanging over my bed wheere I slept. Most of the time, it was clothes on as well...I guess these days those are called bug out bags...I like to reffer to them as a "get home bag"...

craige
24-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Doesn't stop it killing people every year though. As i have said before if you think less 'survival' tin and more possibles pouch does it change your thinking ?T^

If I was in an area I didn't know then I would carry more but tbh I'm 90% more likely to be robbed and stabbed with my own knife (in which case I'd be really screwed) than to need rescued or end up in a survival situation, that's just my opinion and as I said I do tend to have all my things in one bag as well as spares in a different bag when I'm camping and in areas I don't know well so I suppose one could consider that a survival bag?

AL...
24-08-2012, 07:52 PM
I like to reffer to them as a "get home bag"...

I prefer to call it that too

Cheers
AL

David_JAFO
28-08-2012, 08:58 PM
hello,
Yes a 'Grab Bag' same principles as you 'but' still carry triplicate Survival Tin(s) on my person/kit incase I lose one.
I've got a compact fishing kit included. As you say always have your bundle/kit within arms length at all times.
Regards
David

Never had one of these tins. But my EDC bushcraft bag covers it. I have not got a fishing kit in it, and if there where a place, I would most likely bring a proper rod and reel.
Besides, if I was in a shape to fish, i would simply walk home...

When I was in Africa and the ME I always had a grab bag/run bag with survival essentials packed, including food and water. That was never more than an arms length away from me, hanging over my bed wheere I slept. Most of the time, it was clothes on as well...I guess these days those are called bug out bags...I like to reffer to them as a "get home bag"...

Old Guard
28-08-2012, 11:21 PM
I don't think it matters what you call them ... the question is reallydo you carry 'extra stuff' that can be used in an emergency ?

I was taught that you carry a 'kit' on your person (belt or trouser pocket) at all times, just in case !!

In 47 years of hill walking / camping / Scout camps, I have probably used it a dozen times, usually because I carry a sewing kit in there and someone has had a 'wardrobe malfunction' and once because there was a small tin opener in there, as I had forgotton mine. .... but no life saving situations !!

Although I did once witness a guy setting up on the bank on a river and his (expensive) sleeping bag rolled straight into the river, which was unfortunate, as it was in full flow and that baby shot off and dissapeared in seconds .... so he spent the night in a hammock wrapped in a survival blanket and his spare clothes ... I guess I would ask, what if that was his Ruck that washed away ? ... So you just never know when that hike is gonna become a survival situation in the 'snap of a finger'

"Be Prepared"

OG

biker-bri
29-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Always carried extra gear in my rucksack during my mountain walking days, many tales told of 5 yr old Mars bars & Kendal mint cake. Kit included, survival bag, first aid kit with instructions, a warm pair of trackie bottoms, a old woollen jumper hat & gloves.
I Never had to use any of it myself - But I lost count of the number of times I loaned out the extra clothing to friends who regularly came out on the hills with me who thought they knew better. The only emergency situation I ever had was when I dropped
my glasses and they broke in two, & before anyone says it specksavers didn't exist then:)
As Old Guard says BE PREPARED
Cheers Bri

Silverback
29-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Whatever your views on tins bags etc there's no escaping the fact that the guy recently 'lost' in the beacons would have benefited from a bit of spare gear on his person

TreeCamper
29-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Whatever your views on tins bags etc there's no escaping the fact that the guy recently 'lost' in the beacons would have benefited from a bit of spare gear on his person

http://www.findmespot.eu/en/index.php?cid=101

Silverback
29-08-2012, 02:50 PM
http://www.findmespot.eu/en/index.php?cid=101

Land based plb's only just become legal to use in UK. Our MRTs have access to a system called sarloc which only requires the misper to have a phone signal on an android/smartphone.

Jason
23-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Still putting mine together !!

Tigger004
25-09-2012, 12:06 AM
For Winter I usually just carry a firesteel and tinder, as long as I am warm and have water, my excess body weight would keep me alive until spring....lol

ADz
26-09-2012, 10:40 PM
I know its not a "tin" but close enough ;)

http://www.springfields.co.uk/whitby-explora-kit-survival-knife.html

Whitby 'Explora-Kit' Survival Knife with Survival kit in the handle

Overall Length: 10.5"
5" Stainless steel blade with saw teeth
Hollow Metal Handle with compass cap & survival kit
Morse Code Capsule
Waterproof Matches with Striker
Adhesive Dressing
Small Scalpel
Pencil
Needles and Thread
Safety Pins
Fishing Hook
Line and Sinkers
Rigid plastic sheath with
Sling Shot Fork
Clipper Wire Cutter
Screwdriver
Sharpening Stone
Signal Mirror
Latex Sling for Catapult
Can Opener
Screwdriver
Caplifter
Shackle Wrench
Whistle
Wire Saw

AL...
26-09-2012, 11:13 PM
I used to have that knife too !! I hink I still have the Harpoon/ bottle opener kicking about somewhere. The handle cracked on mine when I was useing i to baton some sticks. The kit that came with it was good though!
The Catapult was fun to play with too!

Cheers
AL

Davidgladstone12
30-09-2012, 06:02 PM
My EDC consists of a Leatherman skeletool in a belt sheath which also contains plasters, a firesteel, a razor blade, some tinder and a match wrapped in duct tape. Oh and my paracord bracelet with a whistle buckle.

One use for the Leatherman wire cutters would be cutting my dog free from a wire fence after he got his head stuck! :rolleye:

ANGOF
30-09-2012, 09:28 PM
I think survival tins are great fun and i always like to see how much stuff can be packed into a baccy tin :happy-clapping: Mines in my rucksack and gets opened and used on a regular basis. The knife in mine is a Spyderco Grasshopper (http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?P_ID=5279). Cracking little knife thats razor sharp :)

FishyFolk
30-09-2012, 10:00 PM
I think survival tins are great fun

As valid a reason to have one as I have ever seen :-)

JEEP
01-10-2012, 08:11 AM
I do not carry a survival tin, but I keep the following items handy on my key chain at all times:

Leatherman Squirt PS4
LMF FireSteel Mini
Fox 40 Micro whistle
Traditional firesteel (by Adam/Crazysaint)
Leatherman 200 LED torch
2-3 M of paraciord