PDA

View Full Version : Just read Mud, Sweat and Tears by Edward Grylls

mazmann
25-10-2011, 10:36 AM
I was slagging him off like the rest untill a friend asked if I had read his autobiography.

Got to say I thought it was a great read, you get to understand why he is what he is.

I love his commitement to his family and to all he does.

Is he the best bushman out there, no of course not and I don't think he pretends to be either.

His viewing figures around the world says it all!

His programs are a great why of taking your brain out and just relaxing, like any action film.

Take time to have a read, great toliet book......but after you start you might be in there for hours.

The book did change my mind on him.

Mike

GwersyllaCnau
25-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Been thinking of buying that book for months. Personally, without reading the book I think the T.V. company has a lot to do with the way he is. Ray Mears for one type of audience, Bear Grylls for another. I would like something in between the two.

mazmann
25-10-2011, 11:34 AM
As I said before good read, I have a few Ray Mears videos so will now have to balance it for that middle of road that we all crave.....

Proventurer
25-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Been thinking of buying that book for months. Personally, without reading the book I think the T.V. company has a lot to do with the way he is. Ray Mears for one type of audience, Bear Grylls for another. I would like something in between the two.

Surely, that's Les Stroud?

GwersyllaCnau
25-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Surely, that's Les Stroud?

Les Who?

Sorry, work 60 hours per week plus in college full time then there's Natural Bushcraft, wife and kids so don't get much time to watch telly. I think I've seen 2 or 3 episodes of ray mears and about the same for bear grylls.

(supposed to be doing a college assignment now LOL)

Proventurer
25-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Les Who?

Sorry, work 60 hours per week plus in college full time then there's Natural Bushcraft, wife and kids so don't get much time to watch telly. I think I've seen 2 or 3 episodes of ray mears and about the same for bear grylls.

(supposed to be doing a college assignment now LOL)

For LES Stroud (Survivorman) see www.lesstroud.ca

GwersyllaCnau
25-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks for that

bushcraftboy
25-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Bear Grylls is a show man, he does insane stuff for ratings and money.

luresalive
25-10-2011, 05:19 PM
His personal attitude says a lot for the man, don't judge his personality by what you see on TV..the fact that he spent his summer holidays 5 miles from me and used the same coastline makes me wonder if we ever met but I never knew..My beautiful wife bought me his book for fathers day and as much as people slag him off, to sail across the atlantic and to climb everest and to recover from a broken back screams out Survivor especially when you here mears complain he has a sore back because of Lymes!..it's all about perspective and there's no denying Grylls has balls like an elephant. Say what you want about him but he's proved himself over and over, he really is a mans man, and after all he has accomplished his family still comes first..thats saying something!

mazmann
25-10-2011, 06:05 PM
His personal attitude says a lot for the man, don't judge his personality by what you see on TV..the fact that he spent his summer holidays 5 miles from me and used the same coastline makes me wonder if we ever met but I never knew..My beautiful wife bought me his book for fathers day and as much as people slag him off, to sail across the atlantic and to climb everest and to recover from a broken back screams out Survivor especially when you here mears complain he has a sore back because of Lymes!..it's all about perspective and there's no denying Grylls has balls like an elephant. Say what you want about him but he's proved himself over and over, he really is a mans man, and after all he has accomplished his family still comes first..thats saying something!

I agree.....he does the tv stuff, as there is a market for it and it pays the bills..

Proventurer
26-10-2011, 06:32 AM
I agree.....he does the tv stuff, as there is a market for it and it pays the bills..

You're right on this, personally I like to study the different personalites and apply a sliding scale (for want of a better description), such as:-

Bear Grylls (Adventurer).............................Les Stroud (Wilderness Guide)............................................ ..Ray Mears (Bushcrafter)
Good survival skills and Wilderness Awarness...Excellent Survival & Wilderness Awareness.........................Bushcraft Supremo,

This is by no means cast in stone and is as variable as you would like it to be, I'm looking to add people such as, Peter Gawleta (Bushcraft & Survival) and Andrew Price (Survival), the list goes on, the personalities are out there!

mazmann
26-10-2011, 08:25 AM
You're right on this, personally I like to study the different personalites and apply a sliding scale (for want of a better description), such as:-

Bear Grylls (Adventurer).............................Les Stroud (Wilderness Guide)............................................ ..Ray Mears (Bushcrafter)
Good survival skills and Wilderness Awarness...Excellent Survival & Wilderness Awareness.........................Bushcraft Supremo,

This is by no means cast in stone and is as variable as you would like it to be, I'm looking to add people such as, Peter Gawleta (Bushcraft & Survival) and Andrew Price (Survival), the list goes on, the personalities are out there!

And of course you forgot:

Mazmann (Beginner)..........just loves the outdoors........

GwersyllaCnau
26-10-2011, 10:32 AM
And of course you forgot:

Mazmann (Beginner)..........just loves the outdoors........

You also forgot GwersyllaCnau..... loves the outdoors but usually checks the weather forecast before leaving the central heating.:ashamed:

mazmann
26-10-2011, 04:31 PM
lol, I was going to cut up some tin pots to make a hobo stove and then it started to rain:mad2: so had to take it all in to wait for a break in the weather.....

How rubbish am I.

Mike

alvino78
26-10-2011, 04:49 PM
big fan of both mears and grylls , both fill voids and give info been to ray mears lecture and loved it ,he has a gleam in his eye and a pure love for what he does a very respectable and talented individual. bear grylls work and committment is right up there too,his book is captivating and an easy read and gives an insight to his life,achievements and goals, two very similar but different indivduals striving to inform and educate the masses if they were both alike you'd only watch one!!! fairplay to both and thank you for your time and effort. regards Al

GwersyllaCnau
26-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Anyone who even goes for SAS selection let alone actually gets in has my respect.